Griz Sweep

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Griz Sweep

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:03 pm

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Griz Sweep

Post by wapiti » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:27 pm

You had better sweep us. We are awful.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Maybe. But who cares about basketball, we won football and that's all people really care about anyway, especially in Missoula.

And it was such a beautiful win! The lowly 3-win Bobcats traveling to big bad wa-griz stadium to play a much better griz team fighting for a playoff spot, with griz boosters and beat writers expecting Stitt's offense to put up possibly 80 points on Gregorak's defense, only to get held to less than half their season average and give up almost 400 yards rushing, thanks to a defensive coordinator that had no idea a QB draw was coming on literally EVERY third down even though every knowledgeable person watching knew it was coming!

But I digress, congrats on your basketball sweep.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:41 pm

Does the regular season even matter in the big sky ?

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Common Cat wrote:Does the regular season even matter in the big sky ?
It kinda does. The winner of the regular season gets to drop a banner and gets a ring. The winner also gets an automatic bid to the NIT if they slip up in the Big Sky tournament. Seeds 1-4 get first round byes-so that's nice. If you win enough regular season games you'll get invited to one of those smaller post season tournaments like the CBI or CIT. Last season Montana, EWU, Idaho, and North Dakota all got to go to a post-season tournament. For the Bobcats-pretty much all that's out the window, but maybe they can by some miracle-improve and be a dark horse to win a game or two in the Big Sky tournament...except, oh yeah I almost forgot, Montana State never wins in the Big Sky tournament. Oh well it was a nice thought.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:18 am

Already calling for the sweep, not ready to say this will happen. Just like the football team was going to beat us by 50, hmmm. The games haven't been played no room to say sweep will happen.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:27 pm

I don't have enough confidence in the men's team to take Alpha's bait, but I'll lay some money down with him right now that the MSU women sweep the UM women this season.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:08 pm

John K wrote:I don't have enough confidence in the men's team to take Alpha's bait, but I'll lay some money down with him right now that the MSU women sweep the UM women this season.
Not falling for the bait either, but never would i go against the Bobcats no matter how things are right now.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:18 am

Where's Alpha?
He has some crow to eat?

His griz team just lost to an "awful" Cat team.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:28 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:Does the regular season even matter in the big sky ?
It kinda does. The winner of the regular season gets to drop a banner and gets a ring. The winner also gets an automatic bid to the NIT if they slip up in the Big Sky tournament. Seeds 1-4 get first round byes-so that's nice. If you win enough regular season games you'll get invited to one of those smaller post season tournaments like the CBI or CIT. Last season Montana, EWU, Idaho, and North Dakota all got to go to a post-season tournament. For the Bobcats-pretty much all that's out the window, but maybe they can by some miracle-improve and be a dark horse to win a game or two in the Big Sky tournament...except, oh yeah I almost forgot, Montana State never wins in the Big Sky tournament. Oh well it was a nice thought.
I have heard and read several references about the top five seeds getting byes in the first round, and I don't get it. With a 12 team tourney, only the top four would get byes, as you correctly stated above. The announcers for the Cat-Griz game and Colter have both referred to the top five teams getting byes. That would leave only seven teams playing in the first round, and obviously you can't have an odd number of teams. What gives?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:36 am

wapiti wrote:Where's Alpha?
He has some crow to eat?

His griz team just lost to an "awful" Cat team.
Alpha is wrong so often, no one (apparently including him) really considers it to be newsworthy anymore. Either that, or when he gets called out for being wrong about something, he just calls it "fake news", hoping everyone will ignore it.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:56 am

John K wrote:I have heard and read several references about the top five seeds getting byes in the first round, and I don't get it. With a 12 team tourney, only the top four would get byes, as you correctly stated above. The announcers for the Cat-Griz game and Colter have both referred to the top five teams getting byes. That would leave only seven teams playing in the first round, and obviously you can't have an odd number of teams. What gives?
Northern Colorado is doing self-imposed post-season ban due to some issues with their previous coach I think. So this year only on the men's side, the first 5 teams get a bye. The 4 and 5 seed will play each other in the 2nd round, so there's no difference if you finish 4th or 5th, except the 4th place team gets to wear their home uniforms. The 4 seed team doesn't get to play a team that had to play in the first round that will presumably be tired. If MSU finishes 4th or 5th we will probably end up playing Idaho or Montana-so kind of a tough deal there.

On the women's side the standard top 4 teams get a bye.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:15 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
John K wrote:I have heard and read several references about the top five seeds getting byes in the first round, and I don't get it. With a 12 team tourney, only the top four would get byes, as you correctly stated above. The announcers for the Cat-Griz game and Colter have both referred to the top five teams getting byes. That would leave only seven teams playing in the first round, and obviously you can't have an odd number of teams. What gives?
Northern Colorado is doing self-imposed post-season ban due to some issues with their previous coach I think. So this year only on the men's side, the first 5 teams get a bye. The 4 and 5 seed will play each other in the 2nd round, so there's no difference if you finish 4th or 5th, except the 4th place team gets to wear their home uniforms. The 4 seed team doesn't get to play a team that had to play in the first round that will presumably be tired. If MSU finishes 4th or 5th we will probably end up playing Idaho or Montana-so kind of a tough deal there.

On the women's side the standard top 4 teams get a bye.
Oh gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.