MBB vs. Idaho State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

MBB vs. Idaho State

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:04 pm

We are up 40-27 @ the half. Idaho st is ice cold from the floor, scoring most points from the line it seems. Tyler hall has 6 pts. Harald Frey and Quinton Everett are hitting the 3 ball and both have double digits. Game is a little wild, not much set offense being run.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB vs. Idaho State

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:14 pm

Lead up to 20 at the first timeout. This lead still feels very blowable because...well you know.
Go Cats.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:04 pm

Bobcats hold on for the 80-63 win. ISU looked pretty rough today. We finally play a team who doesn't shoot out of their minds and makes a few mistakes now and then. Got good performances from a lot of role players such as Worthy, Klines, and Everett along with a big game from Harald Frey.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:16 pm

Glad the losing streak is broken, sheesh.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:28 pm

These types of games build confidence. We just need to continue to get better and let it fly when the tournament comes. Good job fellas. Good to see Frey hit his stroke.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:27 pm

Bobcats lock down Bengals, earn first Big Sky win
http://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-beats-isu/

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:01 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Bobcats lock down Bengals, earn first Big Sky win
http://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-beats-isu/
I've been fairly critical of Fish this year. But then I go read this article and I see and hear a coach that sounds like a proud papa and think to myself we've got a good coach. I honestly have zero read on Fish and co.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:15 pm

Great game, but It's tough to watch Big Sky Games, the officials are just not up to par with the level of competition. After watching the Weber and Idaho State game, I wonder if the level of officiating will make it harder for us to recruit quality players.

Fish is recruiting top level players like Tyler Hall. It's got to be frustrating to be of Hall's caliber and have officials that do not understand the game. The new commish needs to make improving the quality of officials a priority.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:51 am

It was a great confidence builder and game for our guys. They did better defensively, and could actually hear them talking out there and doing there best to play together and be where they need to be. That is good to see even a slight improvement in that area from Weber game to Idaho State. I do know that Idaho State isnt't Weber and aren't quite the sharpshooters, but it was still good to see the guys lock them down at times and force bad shots. It wasnt perfect for the entire game, but happy to see that. From game one of the year, i have been excited about this team, even during the losing streak, i just got the feeling we have something good going. We can only get better and seeing such an improved team effort against Idaho State has got to be confidence building for this team.

Tyler didn't have his best game by any means but he still scored in double figures, but it was great to see Frey get going. The last few games he has found his stroke which is great to see. He seems to be getting a lot more comfortable out there leading the team and being the point guard. He may not always make great decisions, but for the most part considering he is a freshman he has done very well. Q came back from the knee issue with a vengeance. He is taking better shots and hitting more shots. He has always been a force on defense, he is great at guarding and having that knee issue seemed to slow him down. Sam seemed to get a lot of rebounds, he was all over down there, which was great to see. The scoring isnt always there for him but he works extremely hard out there. Love how he plays. Devonte is starting to play better. He has moments where he drives in still and loses it or makes a bad pass. But he is great fighter in there, seeing the smallest guy on the floor amongst all the big guys fighting for offensive boards and getting them is a great thing to see. I like his game. Zach had a good game as well, he struggled in the first half but started to come along in the second. Benson has so much athletic ability and is really talented. I can see that but his tendency to foul is a problem. Yet, i can say at least 2 maybe even 3 of the calls on him were questionable in this game. DK is getting better as well. Yes both him and Benson are not as big around as other big guys but they are tall and athletics which is nice to have.

As for the refs, i have to say I get frustrated as well with watching games at times. I feel for Tyler at times because he doesn't seem to get the calls that so many of the star players get. I really don't understand why that is at all.

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:50 am

In this game, Tyler made a point of driving in, getting lots of contact, and then shooting. There were several non calls that kind of amazed me. He could just sit back and nail threes, but that isn't what he or the coach wants in his development. Hopefully the refs will call more of them for him. It seems like when that happened, it was a game flow changer which of course stinks for us.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:10 pm

This has been an issue from game 1. Coach Fish has said for Tyler, he wants him to be more aggressive going to the hoop. He wants him to get get fouled. Yet, he does get fouled and there a no calls against him, but as mentioned if it were anyone else, Senglin, Telfair, or anyone else they would get that call. I just don't really understand why that is. Tyler is trying to improve his game and get better and part of that was being more aggressive to get to the line where he is really good. Yet, he doesnt get the calls a lot of the time but other guys and push off and do whatever they want and get the call. I find that very frustrating, and imagine he does as well.