#Future Bobcats 2016-17

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

#Future Bobcats 2016-17

Post by mslacat » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:58 pm

I am starting a thread to update folks on the 6 player Fish and Binford sign this fall. If they get a commitment before the end for the high school / JC season I will update this thread to include them. Those 6 players are:

Men's
Isaac Bonton 6-2ish (Fish listed him at 6-1 Isaac responded on twitter that he was 6-3)combo guard, Parkrose high school in Portland
Luke Schults 6-10 center/forward Our Lady of the Hills Kerrville Texas

Women's
Tori Martel 5-7 combo Guard Somersville Wi
Coral Gillette 6-0 shooting guard Bismark high school, Bismark North Dakota
Ashley Van Sickle 5-7 combo guard Ralston Valley high school, Arvada Colorado
Laura Pranger 6-2 forward Cherry Creek high school, Centennial Colorado

Martell and Schultz kicked off their high school season this week and the other 4 kick it off the first week in December.

Last night Luke Schultz kicked off the season with a 32 point effort in a 48-45 win over Athlos Academy. Luke had a dunk with 28 seconds left to give Our lady of the Hills a two point lead and then hit a insurance free throw to give them the 3 point win.

SonomaCat

Re: #Future Bobcats 2016-17

Post by SonomaCat » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:49 pm

I'm picturing that game as one of those junior high games where one team has one really tall kid who just schools everyone else. You don't see one person dominating the stats to that extent many other places.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:06 pm

SonomaCat wrote:I'm picturing that game as one of those junior high games where one team has one really tall kid who just schools everyone else. You don't see one person dominating the stats to that extent many other places.
Yea I wonder about the competition level. From what i hear the league Schultz plays in is a Catholic based league with relatively low enrollment about equal to maybe Montana Class B schools, but given they are private schools there is "recruitment" of players to their teams. So it is hard to gauge the competition level. It is a rather interesting contrast to Devin Kirby and his high school. Devin came from a pretty large enrollment high school in Arizona and was on a team that had multiple D-1 players and a coach who would only allowed Devin to shoot under controlled circumstances. Devin avg about 6 1/2 points and 5 rebounds. I have heard the MSU coaches are trying to coach Devin to be more aggressive offensively this year. Watching Devin he seams to have more athleticism than we usually see in Big Sky centers, but he plays right now with a tentativeness that I think is hurting himself (not to mention fouling a lot). Luke is on a team where he has a green light to score anytime and every time he has the ball and I am betting will average 20+ points and 15+ rebounds this year. I am betting the first thing the coaches will do when he gets to campus next year is to teach him what a good and what is a bad shot is similar to what they did with Joe Mvuezolo. I like having a few players on the team that have the mind set of a scorer these are the guys that can get you those buckets when you need one or want to put a team away. They bring a certain aggressiveness to the team. Now in the case of the Big Sky conference these are usually guards (like Isaac Bonton) but it will be interesting to see how Schultz skill set does translate to the The Big Sky.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Our future point guard went nuts last night. Sheesh....
https://twitter.com/ibonton_20/status/806570005739360256

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:43 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Our future point guard went nuts last night. Sheesh....
He scored 40+ and his team won-that's not a concept familiar to our Bobcats. Revolutionary.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:19 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Our future point guard went nuts last night. Sheesh....
He scored 40+ and his team won-that's not a concept familiar to our Bobcats. Revolutionary.

Exciting to have another really good guard it looks like to add to what we already have with Tyler and Frey coming along as well. He looks like he will be great! Excited for him to come.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:55 am

In a game last night Bonton continued his streak of games with 30 plus points scoring 40 against Battle Ground HS from the state of Washington. In his first 4 games he has had 33, 47 (or 45 depending on which newspaper you read) 39 and 40 last night. I do not know what his other stats for the game, where but going into the game he was averaging a triple double with averages of 39 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists add to that he was also averaging 7 steals. his high school Parkrose is 3-1 this season, but they are playing with out D-1 prospect (Bobcat recruit) 6-8 Wilfried Likayi who has a sprained ankle but is due back after the holiday's. You would have to expect Bonton's stats come back down to earth a ( :roll: little bit) as the season progresses.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:57 pm

mslacat wrote:Yea I wonder about the competition level. From what i hear the league Schultz plays in is a Catholic based league with relatively low enrollment about equal to maybe Montana Class B schools, but given they are private schools there is "recruitment" of players to their teams.
I don't have any direct knowledge, but I did have a conversation with a guy who played FB in TX and was really into TX high school sports about how the private schools there work. He said that, unlike CA, the private schools aren't really into recruiting athletes and that the public schools are where the best competition is at. But it's hard to tell without having direct knowledge of that particular league.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Thought I might update those interested in the progress of our future Bobcats. I am going to start with the men's recruits 6-3 guard Isaac Bonton and 6-10 Luke Schultz. BTW I am listing their heights according to current high school roster and media accounts, so don't be surprised if the shrink a little when Fish puts them on the roster next fall. One of the frustrating things about both prospect is that I do not have exact current stats on either. Neither Maxpreps nor their local newspapers have been keeping track.

Isaac Bonton: I have only been able to see the box score on about 6 or 7 games this year but his lowest point total game I saw was 27 pts the second game of the season and high game was 45pts. Last night against the number one team 5A Wilsonville in the state he again scored 40 point but his Parkrose team fell short and lost 62-66. That was actually quite a surprise as Wilsonville has been beating teams by 20-30 points. Parkrose has been struggling as of late they are currently ranked 8th or 10th in the 5a with a 6-6 record. The big problem has been injuries they have been playing without 6-8 D1 prospect Likayi Wilfried and lost their #2 scorer also due to injury. As a result their coach has turned Bonton loose to score. It will be interesting to see what happens if they get 1 or both of these players back for the tournament. The thing about Bonton offence to keep in mind is that while he can shoot the three ball, I would not put him in the category of Hall or Frey as a pure shooter. He score a lot of his point from penetrating and shooting the mid range juper or layups. He also has a tendency to get fouled and get to the free-throw line.

Luke Schultz: Lukes team has had kind of the apposite trajectory than Bonton's team. At the beginning of the season they were relying on Luke almost exclusively and he was scoring between 34-24 points a game but Our Lady of the Hill high school was only about a 50/50 team. Then two other younger players emerged and OLH became a three headed monster in which Schultz was not always (but most of the time) the leading scorer. Since then OLH has gone on a 10 game winning streak and is now ranked #1 in most of the states Power Polls. I believe Luke's average in point is right below about 20pts/gm, rebounds an impressive 14rbs/gm and blocks 5blks/gm.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:14 pm

I Tweeted a bunch of updates on Twitter today on just about every signed recruit either basketball program has. Here is a men's version

Luke Shultz's Our Lady of The Mountain basketball team won the Texas 3A state championship last night in a double over time 46-39 win. He scored 12 points in the game. With this his season is over.

Isaac Bonton lead Rosepark (Ranked 12th in the state)HS to a big Time upset last night over #3 ranked Springfield HS 64-57 with 36 points. As the Springfield coach said "There just was not anything we could do to stop their offence. One Note RosePark finally got 6-8 PF Wilfried Likayi back two games ago and they could be the sleeper in the Oregon 5-A He has averaged about 10 pts a game since he has come back but he has been huge on the defensive side of the ball.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Why do we never look at players in other programs that have graduated and might be looking for a program on the rise? I see the impact that Wiley had at Eastern Washington. Wasn't he formerly at Montana?

Do schools look at redshirt juniors who are graduating with another year of eligibility? How does that work? Tyler isn't going to be at MSU forever....... should we get a quality big to maximize our success while we have Tyler? I've read that players can transfer if they've graduated and have remaining eligibility without having to sit out a year. How does that recruitment work?

mslacat........ do you have any idea?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Ilikecats wrote:Why do we never look at players in other programs that have graduated and might be looking for a program on the rise? I see the impact that Wiley had at Eastern Washington. Wasn't he formerly at Montana?

Do schools look at redshirt juniors who are graduating with another year of eligibility? How does that work? Tyler isn't going to be at MSU forever....... should we get a quality big to maximize our success while we have Tyler? I've read that players can transfer if they've graduated and have remaining eligibility without having to sit out a year. How does that recruitment work?

mslacat........ do you have any idea?
We are! WE have two red-shirt transfers sitting on the bench who will both be eligible next year. Both we starters on their respective D-1 teams and Konner Frey was all conference at Utah Valley. Now picking a Wiley for a Big Sky Conference team is a pretty tough thing to do. You are not going to see that very often. Next year is the year for Fish. Assuming Tyler Comes back the only player we lose off of this year team is Everett. Add to that the two transfers 6-6 Konner Frey and 6-6 Keljin Blevins (who will play both forwards spots for us) and a pretty damn impressive Freshman guard in Isaac Bonton and this team is primed to be a pretty good team next year.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Do schools look at redshirt juniors who are graduating with another year of eligibility? How does that work? Tyler isn't going to be at MSU forever....... should we get a quality big to maximize our success while we have Tyler?
If only it were as easy as just going out and getting a quality big! The most talented high school big guys get snapped up by high/mid major programs, so the players who are left at the Big Sky level are by no means sure things and often times require a significant amount of development in order to be ready to play D-1 basketball. MSU had a pretty darn good big guy in Kavell Bigby-Williams comitted until he was declared ineligible, went to a JC instead, and then got signed by Oregon. Instead, MSU ended up with their other British big man Bradley Fisher who only made it a year at MSU and contributed essentially nothing.

Looking forward to seeing Konner Frey next year, I think he's going to help the team a great deal and fit in very well with the players we have out there this year. Plus it'll be Red Wedding jokes galore with two Freys on the court.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:49 am

Mslacat, thanks for the update. Has Isaac Bonton's Parkrose teammate 6-8 PF Wilfried Likayi signed with anyone yet? Is he a senior? Is he worth a look?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:27 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:Mslacat, thanks for the update. Has Isaac Bonton's Parkrose teammate 6-8 PF Wilfried Likayi signed with anyone yet? Is he a senior? Is he worth a look?
He is definitely worth a look, and the Bobcats coaches had offered him last fall. His problem was his knee injury. He does have pretty good range and has improved it all the way out to three point area while rehabilitating his knee this winter, but what he is known for is his athleticism and explosiveness especially around the basket. Like I said in a few other post he really had a coming out party this summer with his explosive play both offensively and defensively on the AAU circuit. What coaches liked was he had some solid basketball skills wrapped up in and athletic body. He really made a name for himself dunking/shooting over and blocking the shots of of taller, shall we say less athletic true centers. That is when he got 3-4 D-1 offers with I believe the Bobcats being the first. Then he injured his knee. A lot of coaches took a "lets wait and see how he looks when he gets back on the court" He was out almost the entire season only getting back on the court for the last 2 regular season games and now 1 post season game. That has hurt him a lot when it comes to D-1 offers, but he has turned into one of the hottest recruits among JC coaches from the northwest to California to Sheridan CC (where I think the Bobcats are trying to get him squired away). If Parkrose were able to go far in the play offs and he is able to show he is as explosive as he was before, I think he might be able to grab the attention of a D-1 coach or two. Otherwise I could see him going to a good JC playing 1 (he will be a NCAA qualifier) or 2 years and making the jump to D-1 at that point (all assuming he is healthy)

In his three games back I think Likayi is averaging about 10-12 pts a game and 4 rebounds in limited play. I think I read his first shot/basket made was a wide open three.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:47 am

At 6'8", he doesn't have to be a phenomenal athlete to play here. The ability to spread the floor by hitting 3s on offense and then guard post players on defense would make him valuable to this team. Most forwards in this league only go 6'7", 6'8" anyway.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Mslacat, as always, thanks for the info. Do you have any thoughts about the men's loss to SUU?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 pm

Parkrose just upset another ranked team in the 5A championship Tourney beating #6 Cresent Valley 73-59. Isaac Bonton came out shooting cold in the first half but 6-foot-8 forward Wilfred Likayi took up the slack w/ 15 first half points. Bonton found his shot in the second half and ended up as the games leading scorer with 24 points while Likayi totaled 23 points and 9 rebounds. Parkrose moves on to the 5A semifinals and faces #2 ranked Churchill tomorrow afternoon.

Here is a nice article on the game

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/ ... nt-valley/

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Parkrose lost last weekend. Boston had 31. Curious to wonder what he thinks of the Tyler Hall attention and the Cats season

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:12 pm

How did the Women's team recruits do this year. Did we recruit Stiles from Malta?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN