#Future Bobcats 2016-17

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: #Future Bobcats 2016-17

Post by Cat_gld » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:00 pm

I think Rachac reported Stiles is going dUMb.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Cat_gld wrote:I think Rachac reported Stiles is going dUMb.
She is. And the girl who blocked her last shot from Fairfield is going to Idaho.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:41 pm

gtapp wrote:How did the Women's team recruits do this year. Did we recruit Stiles from Malta?
Stiles - I have heard that the Bobcats did recruit her but were told if she were to sign with a Big Sky school it would be Montana because of family Connections. Still the Bobcats kept in touch up until she signed with Montana.

Women recruits;

Tori Martel 5-7- combo guard- She had an out standing season and came 2 games from the state championship. She was recently named the best shooter in the state of Wisconsin as well as first team 5A as well as All-State Wisconsin. She finished her career at Somerset with 1965 total points and averaged 23.2 points 4.5 rebounds 3.8 assist 2.8 stls and shot 54% FG & 46% 3 FG. Martel can play both guard spots but will most likely be a shooting guard who can shift to point as needed. She is a dead eye shooter from deep but also uses her three point shot to open up driving opportunities to score.

Ashley Van Sickle 5-7 Combo Guard Ashley's Ralston HS team, was ranked in the top 3 almost all year round, but also came with in 2 games of the championship before being upset by Bobcat recruit Laura Pranger's Cherry Creek HS Colorado all state teams have not been announced yet. Van Sickle averaged 14.0 points, 4.2 assists, 4.3 rebounds 3.2 steals 44% field goal 36% field goal. Van Sickle is a point guard who can also shoot. Van Sickle is a very heady and savvy team leader who does not have to be the leading scorer to dominate a game.

Coral Gillette 6-1 G?F Coral lead Bismarck high school to with 1 game of a state championship. I do not have the exact stats on Gillette but she averaged in the neighborhood of 14 points 7 rebounds a game. Gillette was on a team that spread the wealth around scoring wise, but racked up quite a few games in the high 20's. She is silky smooth three point shooter but can also post up smaller players. I see her playing the small forward for Binford but has the size and athleticism to slide over to the power forward as needed and the shooting and ball skills to play shooting guard in a pinch.

Laura Pranger 6-2 F Pranger had a rough season. She started out the season with some nagging hand injury to start the season only to break her hand in February. She averaged 8 points 5 rebounds 2 steals 2 blocks 2 steals a game in limited action. Pranger is a power forward who can shoot out to three point range (11 of 31 for 35%). She has a well rounded game and when healthy is known a stat suffer. Of all four recruits Pranger was the most highly recruited by D-1 schools (although Martel committed to the Bobcats 18 month ago before her recruitment started to take off)

From watching this season I would guess Martel and Van Sickle might be the players who have an immediate impact. Gillette though is one of those players at 6-1 and guard skills who are more suited to the college game than high school and with her three point shooting range could be a dark horse player. Pranger is still a little bit of a mystery, but her injury (hand) is typically not the type that can permanently harm a players career.

Now the Bobcats right now are 2 players sort of their maximum 15 scholarships and will graduate 3 players from this year team which means they should have at least one additional scholarship to offer this spring. Typically though most D-1 women's program will lose an additional under class-man, which could bring the total 2 possible additional signings this spring. That said, though, Binford is know to hold a scholarship if she can not get an impact player for the following years class. It should be noted also Binford has 2 commitments already for next year recruiting class.

One player not to forget about is already wearing the Blue and Gold. One player I continue to hear great things about is redshirt forward 6-1 Madison Kast who averaged 19 points, 15 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 2.0 steals in California high school. She is a relentless rebounder and a very skilled offensive player. With Ferris, Nordguardd and Lia available this year at the 3-4 spot it was decided to redshirt her. She could add a little Peyton Ferris to the team next year.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:41 pm

gtapp wrote:How did the Women's team recruits do this year. Did we recruit Stiles from Malta?
Stiles - I have heard that the Bobcats did recruit her but were told if she were to sign with a Big Sky school it would be Montana because of family Connections. Still the Bobcats kept in touch up until she signed with Montana.

Women recruits;

Tori Martel 5-7- combo guard- She had an out standing season and came 2 games from the state championship. She was recently named the best shooter in the state of Wisconsin as well as first team 5A as well as All-State Wisconsin. She finished her career at Somerset with 1965 total points and averaged 23.2 points 4.5 rebounds 3.8 assist 2.8 stls and shot 54% FG & 46% 3 FG. Martel can play both guard spots but will most likely be a shooting guard who can shift to point as needed. She is a dead eye shooter from deep but also uses her three point shot to open up driving opportunities to score.

Ashley Van Sickle 5-7 Combo Guard Ashley's Ralston HS team, was ranked in the top 3 almost all year round, but also came with in 2 games of the championship before being upset by Bobcat recruit Laura Pranger's Cherry Creek HS Colorado all state teams have not been announced yet. Van Sickle averaged 14.0 points, 4.2 assists, 4.3 rebounds 3.2 steals 44% field goal 36% field goal. Van Sickle is a point guard who can also shoot. Van Sickle is a very heady and savvy team leader who does not have to be the leading scorer to dominate a game.

Coral Gillette 6-1 G?F Coral lead Bismarck high school to with 1 game of a state championship. I do not have the exact stats on Gillette but she averaged in the neighborhood of 14 points 7 rebounds a game. Gillette was on a team that spread the wealth around scoring wise, but racked up quite a few games in the high 20's. She is silky smooth three point shooter but can also post up smaller players. I see her playing the small forward for Binford but has the size and athleticism to slide over to the power forward as needed and the shooting and ball skills to play shooting guard in a pinch.

Laura Pranger 6-2 F Pranger had a rough season. She started out the season with some nagging hand injury to start the season only to break her hand in February. She averaged 8 points 5 rebounds 2 steals 2 blocks 2 steals a game in limited action. Pranger is a power forward who can shoot out to three point range (11 of 31 for 35%). She has a well rounded game and when healthy is known a stat suffer. Of all four recruits Pranger was the most highly recruited by D-1 schools (although Martel committed to the Bobcats 18 month ago before her recruitment started to take off)

From watching this season I would guess Martel and Van Sickle might be the players who have an immediate impact. Gillette though is one of those players at 6-1 and guard skills who are more suited to the college game than high school and with her three point shooting range could be a dark horse player. Pranger is still a little bit of a mystery, but her injury (hand) is typically not the type that can permanently harm a players career.

Now the Bobcats right now are 2 players sort of their maximum 15 scholarships and will graduate 3 players from this year team which means they should have at least one additional scholarship to offer this spring. Typically though most D-1 women's program will lose an additional under class-man, which could bring the total 2 possible additional signings this spring. That said, though, Binford is know to hold a scholarship if she can not get an impact player for the following years class. It should be noted also Binford has 2 commitments already for next year recruiting class.

One player not to forget about is already wearing the Blue and Gold. One player I continue to hear great things about is redshirt forward 6-1 Madison Kast who averaged 19 points, 15 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 2.0 steals in California high school. She is a relentless rebounder and a very skilled offensive player. With Ferris, Nordguardd and Lia available this year at the 3-4 spot it was decided to redshirt her. She could add a little Peyton Ferris to the team next year.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:28 am

Wow lots of good info there mslacat! Thanks
It looks like we went east for almost all our recruits this time. Maybe we can put up a good showing against UW and catch the eye of someone good in the Seattle area.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:15 pm

MSU signee Tori Martell from Somerset Wisconsin in this video playing in some sort of MLK Day tournament in Minnesota. A good little flury at the 56:00 mark of the video. She's interviewed at the end and talks about going to Montana State. She looks tiny, but a lefty with a quick release on her three pointer. Okay, I'm going to go all over-hype now: Her game reminds me a lot of Kelsey Plum from Washington, who is also a lefty with a quick release who is able to take if off the dribble in the lane and score. Tori has that in her game, but I'm not going to anoint her the next Kelsey Plum or anything. Next year's team is Hannah Caudill's, but after that, Martell and Squires might make a real dynamic back court duo. Both are in the Binford mold of being tiny, quick, and highly skilled.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 am

Don't forget we also have the previous AA scoring leader Shaide in the back court as well.
Her film showed nice passing in traffic as well as being able to shoot the three extremely well.
Look for her to compete for more time next season.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 am

We are going to be loaded next year at guard, we lose only Margreet Barhoum but everyone else is back. Look out for Oliana Squires, she showed flashes of being the 3 star player she was as a high schooler and I expect her to really pick up her game. Also don't over look in coming Ashley Van Sickle, she is not as flashy as Martell but the girl gets things done and is a true leader and a hell of a point guard. This year we started Riley Nordgaard at the small forward who is almost like a 3rd big players. Next year I would expect Annika Lai to take that starting spot but look for Binford to play a lot of three guard sets at the 1,2 and 3 to take advantage of all the talent we have there.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:01 pm

It will be interesting to see what Binford does next season. I could see Lai taking Ferris' spot and Squires or possibly Hatchard taking Nordgaard's spot. Binford likes going small. Braxton, Smith, Kast, and Siegner (if she can get healthy) will take care of the inside in various combinations.

Everybody needs to work hard in the off season and get a little bit better. I think we'll be pretty good.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:49 pm

mslacat wrote:We are going to be loaded next year at guard, we lose only Margreet Barhoum but everyone else is back. Look out for Oliana Squires, she showed flashes of being the 3 star player she was as a high schooler and I expect her to really pick up her game. Also don't over look in coming Ashley Van Sickle, she is not as flashy as Martell but the girl gets things done and is a true leader and a hell of a point guard. This year we started Riley Nordgaard at the small forward who is almost like a 3rd big players. Next year I would expect Annika Lai to take that starting spot but look for Binford to play a lot of three guard sets at the 1,2 and 3 to take advantage of all the talent we have there.
I kind of think that Becky Hatchard is more of a close match to Norgaard than anyone else. Annika is not as physical, but she has become pretty steady from short range and post defense....but Hatchard is more of a all-out, get on the floor, dive for loose balls type like Riley. Also if Blaire Braxton can develop a short hook or jump hook in the paint, she could be a real weapon next year. She has to get stronger (hands). Madeline Smith is more polished as a scorer and post up player...but I'm not sure why she wasn't used as much as Braxton late in the season...maybe she was hurt. Madeline might be another power forward to play with Braxton or whomever we play at the post.

2024 Resume dominance

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:07 pm

The Denver Post announced their All Colorado girls basketball team and Van Sickle was named to the honorable mention list. The Post listed 5 players for their 1st team & 10 players for honorable mention (no 2nd team, 3rd team, etc.). So this ranking puts her in the top 6 - 15 players in the state!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:03 pm

kwcat wrote:Don't forget we also have the previous AA scoring leader Shaide in the back court as well.
Her film showed nice passing in traffic as well as being able to shoot the three extremely well.
Look for her to compete for more time next season.
The coaches need to work with Shaide to boost her confidence. She was tentative and seemly overwhelmed at times this season. I think she has the talent to dramatically improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:32 am

Issac Bonton was named MVP of the annual Oregon vrs Washington Boys All Star game last night by leading Oregon to a 140-135 overtime win. For the game Bonton Scored 35 points, pulled down 7 rebounds and had 2 assists 3 steals while shooting 59% the field 40% beyond 3 point range. He also drew a lot of fouls by driving the ball to the hoop and hit 13 of 15 shots from free throw line. I have not counted but there were quite a few future Pack 12 players on the two teams who could not keep up with Bonton. I think Fish has another outstanding freshman guard joining the program next year. It will be tougher for him to win a possible Freshman of the year as there is not a open starting spot waiting for him to step in and take it, but he may have to do it the old fashion way by earning it or a 6th man role.

Here is a great write up on the game with an interview and photos of Bonton from last nights game.

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/ ... otout-win/

And yea I am starting to get a little excited about his possibilities in a Blue and Gold Uniform. I was down playing his contribution in my own mind for next because #1 we have a lot of quality guards coming back and it might be tougher for him to make a the impact Hall or Frey did. I also wondered if he was a suffered from a Big Fish playing injury laden team and they were depending on him to put up big numbers. But this winter when the play off started he took the 12th rated team to the state semi-finals and missed out on a trip to the championship game by 2 points. Then is named MVP of of an all star game that features more future D-1 prospects then you can count. He raises his game to every occasion and Oh by the way he always find a way to score 35 point. He is never going to avg 35 points a game for the Bobcats, but he is going to be a scoring threat from day one. As he works through the program is just going to become a bigger and bigger threat.

Now if Fish could find/land a big man with close to Hall/Frey/Bonton talent.