Fish signs four more during late period, bringing total to 8

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Fish signs four more during late period, bringing total to 8

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Montana State adds four JC transfers during late signing period.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Fish signs four more during late period, bringing total

Post by Common Cat » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:11 pm

I love listening to Fish talk. He says things I would hope a coach would say. Read Colter's article and listen to how Fish talks. He is strategically building. He's a step ahead. If he is what I think he is, give him time, and Bobcat Basketball might be our best sport. Then again, he will be swooped up by a bigger program. Enjoy him while we have him!

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:56 am

Some more stuff on the incoming recruits from MSU's press release:

Matlock's JC Coach Matthew Vargas on Nahjee:
Vargas echoed Fish's sentiments. "I like his ability to make people work 94 feet," he said. "He gets up defensively in people and is literally relentless. Guys just have to work side-to-side, side-to-side. They don't get to go north-and-south a lot on him. That's always been really impressive to me. He's a former track star, a sprinter, out of Las Vegas, so when guys try to turn the corner on him it's fun to watch him close it up and make them have to work again. His relentless defensive pressure is something that's always been amazing to me."

Matlock's offensive abilities aren't to be underestimated, Vargas cautioned. "Nahjee is really, really strong with the ball. He can take physical contact. He has ability to break people down off the dribble, he's very explosive. It's fun to watch. Because of his ability to make guys play off of him he's able to knock down the three-ball," he said.
On Shikei Blake:
Northeastern coach Eddie Trenkle likes Blake's inside presence, as well. "He kind of plays the muscle game," Trenkle said, "he can muscle you up on the block. He has a right-handed hook and a left-handed hook. He plays above the rim, competes, he's a big-time rebounder. He can also go to what everybody else is doing now, he can run as a step-out guy and shoot threes. I never asked him to do that, but he can do it. He's very gifted."

Blake's work ethic is also an attribute, according to Trenkle. "He does all the little things you ask him to do," Trenkle said. "If you ask him to be in the weight room to be stronger, he's there. If you ask him to work on a part of his game that maybe he's very weak at, he's in there working on it. If he likes you, he's going to do anything for you. That's one thing I really liked about the kid, he's one of those guys that does whatever you asked him to do. I coached at Idaho State for two years and I thought from the beginning that the Big Sky should be pounding this kid. He's a little under-sized, but I think he can be a really good player in that league."
On Tyson Kanseyo:
Laramie County coach Jason Ficca lauds Kanseyo's tenacity. "He plays with a real high motor, runs the floor hard, attacks the rim hard both off the dribble and the offensive glass," Ficca said. "He has a powerful jump and can finish with some contact. He has a nice package of skills. I think he's a good rebounder, he'll track the ball well, he rebounds out of his area fairly well. He plays with a lot of contact."
On Sarp Gobeloglu:
Gillette coach Shawn Neary likes the range of positive attributes Gobeloglu displays. "With his size and his ability to shoot the basketball," he said, "at our level and in the Big Sky he's going to stretch defenses. He's skilled for being 6-10, and he rebounds well. He brings a lot of different things to the table as a player. He's a good person and a really good teammate, he's determined to succeed, determined to graduate, determined to play basketball at as a high a level as possible. He's a really good person."

And on Quinton Everett, who signed out of Gillette during the early period but I didn't do much about:
Neary's squad also featured future Bobcat Quinton Everett, originally from Lakeland, Fla., who inked his National Letter-of-intent in the fall. Everett played one season at Little Big Horn College in Crow Agency, Mont., for Bobcat great Pete Conway before transferring to Gillette. He averaged 14.2 points per game, third on the team, with 3.9 boards and 2.4 assists.

Neary credits Everett's toughness for helping Gillette to the NJCAA Tournament. "I like Quinton's toughness, his competitiveness," Neary said. "He plays hard. He's a little bit older so he's more mature than a lot of 18-, 19-year old juco kids. For us and for Pete (Conway) he scored a lot of points. He gets to the basket. I think he'll continue to improve his three-point percentage. He's tough, he's hard-nosed, he's a good on-ball defender. I thought he made us a national tournament-type team."

Fish said Everett's ability to attack off the dribble fits his system well. "Quinton's a 6-foot-3, take-it-to-the-basket big guard. One of the things we like to do in our offense is either drive baseline or drive to the elbow. He can get where he wants to go, and he plays at a great pace. He played his first year (of junior college basketball) for one of the all-time great players here (Pete Conway) that gave him the highest of high recommendations, so that weighed heavily on us. We're very happy to have him."

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:13 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Some more stuff on the incoming recruits from MSU's press release:

Matlock's JC Coach Matthew Vargas on Nahjee:
Vargas echoed Fish's sentiments. "I like his ability to make people work 94 feet," he said. "He gets up defensively in people and is literally relentless. Guys just have to work side-to-side, side-to-side. They don't get to go north-and-south a lot on him. That's always been really impressive to me. He's a former track star, a sprinter, out of Las Vegas, so when guys try to turn the corner on him it's fun to watch him close it up and make them have to work again. His relentless defensive pressure is something that's always been amazing to me."

Matlock's offensive abilities aren't to be underestimated, Vargas cautioned. "Nahjee is really, really strong with the ball. He can take physical contact. He has ability to break people down off the dribble, he's very explosive. It's fun to watch. Because of his ability to make guys play off of him he's able to knock down the three-ball," he said.
On Shikei Blake:
Northeastern coach Eddie Trenkle likes Blake's inside presence, as well. "He kind of plays the muscle game," Trenkle said, "he can muscle you up on the block. He has a right-handed hook and a left-handed hook. He plays above the rim, competes, he's a big-time rebounder. He can also go to what everybody else is doing now, he can run as a step-out guy and shoot threes. I never asked him to do that, but he can do it. He's very gifted."

Thank you Colter

Blake's work ethic is also an attribute, according to Trenkle. "He does all the little things you ask him to do," Trenkle said. "If you ask him to be in the weight room to be stronger, he's there. If you ask him to work on a part of his game that maybe he's very weak at, he's in there working on it. If he likes you, he's going to do anything for you. That's one thing I really liked about the kid, he's one of those guys that does whatever you asked him to do. I coached at Idaho State for two years and I thought from the beginning that the Big Sky should be pounding this kid. He's a little under-sized, but I think he can be a really good player in that league."
On Tyson Kanseyo:
Laramie County coach Jason Ficca lauds Kanseyo's tenacity. "He plays with a real high motor, runs the floor hard, attacks the rim hard both off the dribble and the offensive glass," Ficca said. "He has a powerful jump and can finish with some contact. He has a nice package of skills. I think he's a good rebounder, he'll track the ball well, he rebounds out of his area fairly well. He plays with a lot of contact."
On Sarp Gobeloglu:
Gillette coach Shawn Neary likes the range of positive attributes Gobeloglu displays. "With his size and his ability to shoot the basketball," he said, "at our level and in the Big Sky he's going to stretch defenses. He's skilled for being 6-10, and he rebounds well. He brings a lot of different things to the table as a player. He's a good person and a really good teammate, he's determined to succeed, determined to graduate, determined to play basketball at as a high a level as possible. He's a really good person."

And on Quinton Everett, who signed out of Gillette during the early period but I didn't do much about:
Neary's squad also featured future Bobcat Quinton Everett, originally from Lakeland, Fla., who inked his National Letter-of-intent in the fall. Everett played one season at Little Big Horn College in Crow Agency, Mont., for Bobcat great Pete Conway before transferring to Gillette. He averaged 14.2 points per game, third on the team, with 3.9 boards and 2.4 assists.

Neary credits Everett's toughness for helping Gillette to the NJCAA Tournament. "I like Quinton's toughness, his competitiveness," Neary said. "He plays hard. He's a little bit older so he's more mature than a lot of 18-, 19-year old juco kids. For us and for Pete (Conway) he scored a lot of points. He gets to the basket. I think he'll continue to improve his three-point percentage. He's tough, he's hard-nosed, he's a good on-ball defender. I thought he made us a national tournament-type team."

Fish said Everett's ability to attack off the dribble fits his system well. "Quinton's a 6-foot-3, take-it-to-the-basket big guard. One of the things we like to do in our offense is either drive baseline or drive to the elbow. He can get where he wants to go, and he plays at a great pace. He played his first year (of junior college basketball) for one of the all-time great players here (Pete Conway) that gave him the highest of high recommendations, so that weighed heavily on us. We're very happy to have him."

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Colter, what are your thoughts on the signings?

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:53 pm

I thought I had said thanks to Colter at the end of my post.
Thanks Colter for all the updates.
Last edited by RickRund on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msubobcats@outlook.com

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:35 pm

RickRund wrote:I thought I had said thanks to Colder at the end of my post.
Thanks Colder for all the updates.
You got the wrong guy this time.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:55 pm

I am still not used to this phone. If it does not know the word you are spelling it will change it to what it thinks you meant. :oops:

msubobcats@outlook.com