Tricia Binford end of the season Q&A 2015

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Tricia Binford end of the season Q&A 2015

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:53 pm

In this episode, Montana State women's basketball coach Tricia Binford talks about her team's recently completed campaign and what lies ahead as she ENTERS her 11th season at the helm.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Tricia Binford end of the season Q&A 2015

Post by aucat » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:27 am

Thanks for the excellent interview. I think all Bobcat fans like Coach Binford and really want her to succeed.
There is something ingrained in the program however that seems to be preventing MSU from getting "unstuck" from mediocrity.
I'm not a coach but I do watch a lot of women's hoops and have had season tickets for MSU for the last several
years. Since the interview mentions UConn let's use them as an example of how they differ from MSU (other than
the obvious fact that UConn recruits AA players).

1. If you watched UConn during the NCAA tournament you noted that they play 5 starters and only use a few
subs. As a result the starters seem to have this incredible chemistry in knowing and anticipating other player's
intentions and actions when moving the ball around on offense. By contrast MSU starts subbing TWO minutes into
the game for no apparent reason. The starters are not allowed to get into a groove and flow of the game before
they are jerked out. I simply do not understand why Coach Binford does not have a "Go-to Starting 5" and stick with
them for most of the game except for a few minutes here and there to give them some relief, which is what Geno does at UConn. If you
go with this plan, the importance of being a starter is huge and the players will work their butts off all week in
practice to EARN the playing time that comes with being a STARTER. Jerking players in and out all during the game
seems to disrupt the congruity and continuity of the team. Obviously, when a player gets in foul trouble or needs a brief rest, it is
important to go to the bench. But again, watch Geno at UConn. He had 5 Go-to Starters and only used 2 or 3 other
players briefly for those purposes.

2. Speaking of working hard in practice, do you ever notice how TOUGH and PHYSICAL the Uconn players are?
Ever notice how they run and hustle their BUTTS OFF? I have never seen this toughness and physical play from
Binford's players. They often get out-rebounded. They don't properly box out. They often get out-hustled. I have
read where Coach Binford uses Psychology professors to help the players with their confidence and mental state.
Do you think Coach Geno uses such gimmicks at UConn? I doubt it.

3. Shooting. It still comes down to being able to shoot the ball. There is simply no excuse for a women's team to
not have a high % from the free throw line. THey don't call it "free" for nothing. This is all about practice, practice,
practice and concentration. If you can't shoot the ball very well I don't think the player should be on scholarship. Again,
when Geno's players go to the line, it is almost a guarantee that they will make the free throw.

If you want to be the best, why not emulate what the best coaches do? And there is no question
that the best coach in women's basketball today is Geno Auriemma!

Go Cats and Best Wishes to Coach Binford that you will be successul!

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Tricia Binford end of the season Q&A 2015

Post by desmond1957 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:36 am

Good post EXCEPT WHO THE HELL ARE ALL THESE BOBCAT FANS WHO LIKE COACH BINFORD????? Out of all the season ticket holders who even bother to go any more that I know I don't know of any who didn't want her FIRED!!! It sounds like you actually go to the games, don't you ever look around and wonder how all the people that used to go and have said the hell with it would vote on renewing her insane contract ???? The proof is in the attendance, look at the declining numbers in the last few years and tell me again how and where are all these fans who like Binford???? For what she is getting paid and her record MSU and Bobcat fans are getting royally screwed!!!!