End of the season interview with Brian Fish

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

End of the season interview with Brian Fish

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:59 pm

Montana State endured a long, trying season in Brian Fish's first campaign at the helm. In this end of the season interview, the charismatic Bobcat head coach talks about the future of his program.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: End of the season interview with Brian Fish

Post by vike_king » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:56 pm

My biggest take-away from the interview was this quote:

“If you are a jerk to your fellow students, we are going to lack in that area. That can’t happen.”

Makes one wonder how much, if any, of this may play into the poor student attendance at the football games. I know one who had a hard time attending because of the jerkiness of one player.........I too had a hard time reconciling my feelings for this during my 5 years. The team won out over a few individuals.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by DicTater » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:17 pm

I was very excited by the interview. Fish really understands how to win in the Big sky. He's absolutely correct that speed of play and defense are going to be critical, something Huse never understood. And, he seems to really understand his players' strengths and weaknesses and wants to put them in a position to personally succeed as well as leading to team success. I was impressed with Fish before, but after reading this interview I'm certain he's the guy to rebuild the program. I love that he understands that he's not just a Bball coach, he's an ambassador an a builder.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:40 pm

Great interview. I liked his quote about how he used to want shooters, now he wants makers.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:15 am

Boy is he ever a breathe of fresh air. He gets it--I just hope it works.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:22 am

It was good to see Fish and some of the basketball team on the sideline at the football scrimmage.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:20 pm

kwcat wrote:It was good to see Fish and some of the basketball team on the sideline at the football scrimmage.
He definitely gets it! Roger Craft sent Sweeney to look at Stenerud and after the crap going on between the two teams last year, maybe we'll start seeing more student involvement at both sports games. Maybe.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:16 pm

Great interview, and I am fully confident he can bring better days to the MSU program. The guy has a fire that's for sure!

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:46 pm

If you haven't, watch the end of the season interview up on msubobcats.com also. You see it in the guy. I liked the discussion about the tough non-conference scheduling this year. He was asked something about having to play Kentucky this past year. He kinda laughed and said something like that one was a little over the top, but playing a tough OOC schedule gets the program reason for WHEN we get back in the tournament. Not we're trying our best, not we have a long ways to go, not if we get back. WHEN we get back, because the Cats WILL be back there.

He's pretty honest in his assessments and, while some guys don't like it - and have called out football coaches for doing it in the past - he's honest in saying how his players performed. He doesn't have a problem saying when a player didn't perform the way he should, while also taking responsibility for not putting guys in a position to succeed or having to play a guy when he really didn't want to and knowing it wasn't the best thing for the guy.

I like Fish's honest approach to what things are like right now, but also being able to sell next year and the long term future of this program. I don't mind being sold that we're not very good right now, but we're getting better next year and that you better hold on because we're getting set to go on one hell of a ride.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?