The playoff chase is on for Montana State hoops

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

The playoff chase is on for Montana State hoops

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:38 pm

MSU men face must-win in Cheney while women need a W to keep pace.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

Placidlakegriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: The playoff chase is on for Montana State hoops

Post by Placidlakegriz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:42 am

This must give a lot of confidence to the team when your own coach is rooting for the competition.

“I think they are a team that if Coach (Hayford) gets them into the (NCAA) tournament, they will be a bad matchup,” Fish said. “That’s certainly a team you wouldn’t want to play because they can do so many different things. I’d like to see them lose one more on Thursday but outside of that, I’d like to see them represent us because they are a really good team.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:44 am

Placidlakegriz wrote:This must give a lot of confidence to the team when your own coach is rooting for the competition.

“I think they are a team that if Coach (Hayford) gets them into the (NCAA) tournament, they will be a bad matchup,” Fish said. “That’s certainly a team you wouldn’t want to play because they can do so many different things. I’d like to see them lose one more on Thursday but outside of that, I’d like to see them represent us because they are a really good team.
that's how you read that huh? :-k

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:57 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Placidlakegriz wrote:This must give a lot of confidence to the team when your own coach is rooting for the competition.

C'mon Flacid, you liberal arts guys should be able to read better than that.

:shock:

Placidlakegriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Placidlakegriz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:09 pm

wbtfg wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

You guys will have to help me. Says he wants to beat them on Thursday but after that he wants them to win the conference.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:19 pm

One doesn't have to be a psychic to know that its understood that he'd LOVE (and not just "like") to see the Bobcats represent the conference.

Placidlakegriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Placidlakegriz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:27 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:One doesn't have to be a psychic to know that its understood that he'd LOVE (and not just "like") to see the Bobcats represent the conference.
Then why is he saying "I’d like to see them (EWU) represent us because they are a really good team.”

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:31 pm

Placidlakegriz wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:One doesn't have to be a psychic to know that its understood that he'd LOVE (and not just "like") to see the Bobcats represent the conference.
Then why is he saying "I’d like to see them (EWU) represent us because they are a really good team.”
because one would have to be a complete moron to assume that a head coach wouldn't want to win the conference. that is sort of a given for everyone. or almost everyone I guess. #-o

before a season starts, if a coach says he'd like to see another team have a good season do you assume that means he wants his own team to have a crap season? would he really have to say that of course he wants his own team to have a good season, but he wishes another team all the best? is that really necessary for you?

your coach complimented dison before cat griz and said he is a great player. I assume you're mad at him for "saying" his own players aren't good huh? :roll:

Placidlakegriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Placidlakegriz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:54 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Placidlakegriz wrote:
because one would have to be a complete moron to assume that a head coach wouldn't want to win the conference. that is sort of a given for everyone. or almost everyone I guess. #-o

before a season starts, if a coach says he'd like to see another team have a good season do you assume that means he wants his own team to have a crap season? would he really have to say that of course he wants his own team to have a good season, but he wishes another team all the best? is that really necessary for you?

your coach complimented dison before cat griz and said he is a great player. I assume you're mad at him for "saying" his own players aren't good huh? :roll:
I know at the end of the season he never said he would like another team representing us in the playoffs, like your coach just did.

Placidlakegriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Placidlakegriz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Placidlakegriz wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Placidlakegriz wrote:

I know at the end of the season he never said he would like another team representing us in the playoffs, like your coach just did.
And if did say it, I would be upset with him.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:16 pm

Placidlakegriz wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Placidlakegriz wrote:

Just because "if it's not us" wasn't actually written down and quoted before the statement, you think that the coach doesn't want his own team in the NCAA tourney? Quite a stretch looking for ways to criticize anything MSU.

And plus, who in their right mind wouldn't want the BSC to turn some heads in the NCAA tournament? The BSC is known as a very weak conference and anything that can be done to change that stigma will do nothing but help recruiting and build for the future strength of the conference. How dare a coach compliment another team and wish them well. Gosh, he must not want to win. :roll:

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:31 pm

This troll isn't walking away hungry.

BR GRIZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BR GRIZ » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:32 pm

tdub wrote:
Placidlakegriz wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Placidlakegriz wrote:

Just because "if it's not us" wasn't actually written down and quoted before the statement, you think that the coach doesn't want his own team in the NCAA tourney? Quite a stretch looking for ways to criticize anything MSU.

And plus, who in their right mind wouldn't want the BSC to turn some heads in the NCAA tournament? The BSC is known as a very weak conference and anything that can be done to change that stigma will do nothing but help recruiting and build for the future strength of the conference. How dare a coach compliment another team and wish them well. Gosh, he must not want to win. :roll:
I have no doubt as a general proposition Fish would like to have the Cats win it all. But unless you get into the "what he really meant was," in his statement he conceded this season is over even though the Cats theoretically can still make the tournament.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:34 pm

What if he had mentioned the griz and not EWU ? :-k :-k

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Toucat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Toucat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:14 pm

Hawks86 wrote:What if he had mentioned the griz and not EWU ? :-k :-k
I could care less which team he named. For that matter I would have no problem if DeCuire came out and said if it's not the Griz, I'd like to see EW represent the conference. I would be upset with DeCuire though if he did what Fish did, and came out and said except for next Saturday when they play the Griz I'd like to see EW win it all. On it's face Fish's statement tells me he has given up on this year's team, and you have to read into it to come to a different conclusion. If the roles were reversed I don't think I would be defending a Griz coach for saying that.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:53 pm

wbtfg wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Flacid! That's funny right there! :rofl: Did you guys see Betty White in Lake Placid? :-^

Is this a thread distraction? Can anyone tell me the coach's exact thought on this?

Placidlakegriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Placidlakegriz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:06 pm

kwcat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Flacid! That's funny right there! :rofl: Did you guys see Betty White in Lake Placid? :-^

Is this a thread distraction? Can anyone tell me the coach's exact thought on this?
and they say i cant read.

I’d like to see them (ewu) represent us because they are a really good team.”

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:35 pm

I see what you did there. Good one!

I was referring to Betty White.
See what I did there?

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:09 pm

It's a little unusual for a head coach to openly state that he is rooting for one conference team at the expense of the others. I can see why his comments raised some eyebrows around the league.

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

Potomac Griz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Potomac Griz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:32 pm

Jobu wrote:It's a little unusual for a head coach to openly state that he is rooting for one conference team at the expense of the others. I can see why his comments raised some eyebrows around the league.
Agreed. Very strange comment especially considering you guys aren't eliminated from being in the tournament yet. I know this probably wasn't his intention but it almost reads like he's given up on the hope of making it to the tournament.

Now I'm not saying that to troll. I follow Bobcat basketball and have done so since the long long nights in at work many years ago listening to Durham's teams play to pass the time. When you guys aren't playing the Griz I'm rooting for ya. The comment just doesn't sit too well with me...and to tell you the truth it wouldn't even if he had said he hoped the Griz are the team that ends up in the tournament. Strange comment.

That said, good luck against EWU & Idaho, I hope you guys take EWU down a peg and then exploit the cluster-****** that is the Idaho program right now with that whole coaching debacle.