Top-ranked Kentucky downs MSU 86-28

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Top-ranked Kentucky downs MSU 86-28

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:52 pm

Cats shoot 19 percent in loss at Rupp Arena.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Top-ranked Kentucky downs MSU 86-28

Post by Cledus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Montana State's point total was the lowest ever by a Kentucky opponent.
So...

All around not a good week for the Bobs.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:05 pm

On the positive side, MSU only scored 12 points less than Kansas did against Kentucky a few days ago! \:D/

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:57 pm

I was about to say I'm glad they kept it close but then I realized I must have read the score in dyslexic mode...

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Cledus wrote:
Montana State's point total was the lowest ever by a Kentucky opponent.
So...

All around not a good week for the Bobs.
Ya think...

Potomac Griz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Potomac Griz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:40 pm

MSU01 wrote:On the positive side, MSU only scored 12 points less than Kansas did against Kentucky a few days ago! \:D/
Shot a higher percentage than Kansas too. 19.7% where Kansas only shot 19.6% against Kentucky.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:06 pm

Hope we got a good paycheck is all I can say.

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:35 am

MSU01 wrote:On the positive side, MSU only scored 12 points less than Kansas did against Kentucky a few days ago! \:D/
Thanks for keeping a positive perspective. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for most of these guys, and I'm sure it gave the team a few dividends.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:48 am

I watched the game, those Kentucky guys are very quick, they never let you get set. Plus they are very tall. As in all Kentucky teams, over half those guys won't be there next year. That school is an NBA prep school. I watched our guys, I thought they played pretty well considering.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:14 am

Kentucky is stupid good.

I saw on deadspin.... if Kentucky didnt score another point after 6 minutes, they still wouldve won?

I dont care who you are, thats freakin ridiculous...

UKCatfan
New Recruit

Post by UKCatfan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Well, (as a UK fan) I was in attendance, and frankly was impressed by the grit shown by the MSU players in the face of what must have seemed like impossible odds as the game went on. As mentioned in this thread, UK is just crazy good (especially defensively ... at times, impenetrable). I REALLY hope those kids don't dwell on that game too much.

Coach Fish & co. really had an uphill battle to start with, returning only 2 starters, and installing a new system on top of that inexperience. I like what I saw and heard from coach, both on the sideline and in his presser. With his background, and postseason experience (granted, as an assistant, but still experience), I truly hope he can get things going the right way in Bozeman. As he stated, you can practice really hard to prep for UK, but you just can't simulate their length and athleticism, and that length certainly played a major role (as it did against Kansas). This game reminded me much of the UK/Kansas game, in that MSU tried to be aggressive in going to the rim at times, only to get lost in the redwoods, and have the ball rejected. Before you knew it, they almost became so hesitant to drive it in, that they seemed to pass up on seemingly open drives, or at least short to mid range pull ups. "Shell-shocked" if you will. I don't think that your Cats will have to deal with anything like that the rest of the season, and I hope that they can learn and grow, without getting down on themselves.

I wanted to let you folks know (if you didn't already) that you have some class individuals in that program, and I was fortunate enough to speak to a few of them. Fine young men, who represented your University very well. In particular, my family was able to speak with Michael Dison and his mother after the game. They were sitting in the stands as Coach Cal gave his post game radio show (which they do live in the arena after the game). Michael was pretty emotional, and probably being a little hard on himself. His mom said that he was "upset that they didn't win", which I loved :D My wife told him not to worry about it, and that UK is just ridiculous this year ... and to keep playing hard. Sometimes things are harder than others. My 12 year old chimed in that "yeah, I didn't even make my middle school team". Michael laughed ... "baby steps", he said.

Anyway, I know that a few home games is just what this team needs, and I hope you guys can get out and fill the Fieldhouse for those guys! Good luck the rest of the way!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks UKCatfan. Yours is one post I hope our players read, unlike most stuff, including my own, that is posted here. Good luck on the rest of your season (not that you'll need it). I think UK goes undefeated. Just so they don't fall asleep at the wrong time like that UNLV team did against Duke so many years ago. Up until I saw UK this season, that UNLV team was the most talented college team I've seen.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Potomac Griz wrote:
Shot a higher percentage than Kansas too. 19.7% where Kansas only shot 19.6% against Kentucky.
So we've got that going for us...which is nice.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:36 pm

UKCatfan wrote:Well, (as a UK fan) I was in attendance, and frankly was impressed by the grit shown by the MSU players in the face of what must have seemed like impossible odds as the game went on. As mentioned in this thread, UK is just crazy good (especially defensively ... at times, impenetrable). I REALLY hope those kids don't dwell on that game too much.

Coach Fish & co. really had an uphill battle to start with, returning only 2 starters, and installing a new system on top of that inexperience. I like what I saw and heard from coach, both on the sideline and in his presser. With his background, and postseason experience (granted, as an assistant, but still experience), I truly hope he can get things going the right way in Bozeman. As he stated, you can practice really hard to prep for UK, but you just can't simulate their length and athleticism, and that length certainly played a major role (as it did against Kansas). This game reminded me much of the UK/Kansas game, in that MSU tried to be aggressive in going to the rim at times, only to get lost in the redwoods, and have the ball rejected. Before you knew it, they almost became so hesitant to drive it in, that they seemed to pass up on seemingly open drives, or at least short to mid range pull ups. "Shell-shocked" if you will. I don't think that your Cats will have to deal with anything like that the rest of the season, and I hope that they can learn and grow, without getting down on themselves.

I wanted to let you folks know (if you didn't already) that you have some class individuals in that program, and I was fortunate enough to speak to a few of them. Fine young men, who represented your University very well. In particular, my family was able to speak with Michael Dison and his mother after the game. They were sitting in the stands as Coach Cal gave his post game radio show (which they do live in the arena after the game). Michael was pretty emotional, and probably being a little hard on himself. His mom said that he was "upset that they didn't win", which I loved :D My wife told him not to worry about it, and that UK is just ridiculous this year ... and to keep playing hard. Sometimes things are harder than others. My 12 year old chimed in that "yeah, I didn't even make my middle school team". Michael laughed ... "baby steps", he said.

Anyway, I know that a few home games is just what this team needs, and I hope you guys can get out and fill the Fieldhouse for those guys! Good luck the rest of the way!
Your post, particularly the stuff about Dison, made me smile. Good stuff. Thanks for the post.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:47 am

Well Savannah St. only scored 26 on Louisville whilst giving up 87. We don't look that bad now ;)

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Calipari statement about the Cats.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:10 pm

Very gracious thing to say and I appreciate it. I know, it's just my opinion and we all understand what an opinion is worth.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:01 pm

So MSU's next opponent is Texas-Arlington on Friday night...guess who they play tonight? Yep, Kentucky. Odd scheduling coincidence there!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:07 pm

MSU01 wrote:So MSU's next opponent is Texas-Arlington on Friday night...guess who they play tonight? Yep, Kentucky. Odd scheduling coincidence there!
I know that you have to be careful not to read too much into comparative scores, but I have to admit that I'll be curious to see how UT-A fares against UK.

A-Frame
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by A-Frame » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:12 pm

MSU01 wrote:So MSU's next opponent is Texas-Arlington on Friday night...guess who they play tonight? Yep, Kentucky. Odd scheduling coincidence there!
I actually noticed this.. Take a look at our opponent schedules and you'll see that there are a lot of similarities between Grand Canyon, Buffalo, UT-A, Kentucky, and MSU. Kind of like a round-robin pool.

Oh, and we're on the bottom of that pool.. #-o

GO CATS!