Big Sky mulling moving tournaments to neutral sites

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Big Sky mulling moving tournaments to neutral sites

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:58 pm

Basketball league tournaments could be in Las Vegas soon.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edit

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky mulling moving tournaments to neutral sites

Post by mslacat » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:40 pm

I might be in the minority but I do not want to move the tournament to a predetermined site like Las Vegas. Some of my best memories are when Montana State/Bozeman gets to host the MBB or WBB tourneys. I love taking off of work coming down to Bozeman meeting old friends watching basketball , heading over to old hang outs. When UM host the tourney it is still fun for me especially if the Cat's are in the tournament. I understand some of the Big Sky teams do a lousy job of hosting the tourneys but hell make them guarantee the attendance or give it to the next team. I love the college kids who are able to skip a class or two make it to the game. I think if the Big Sky conference wants to bring back the attendance in the tournament as well as the regular season they need to bring back the community feel of the college game and quite trying to match the Big Time of the ACC, Pac 10, Big Ten. Just my opinion.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:32 pm

mslacat wrote:I might be in the minority but I do not want to move the tournament to a predetermined site like Las Vegas. Some of my best memories are when Montana State/Bozeman gets to host the MBB or WBB tourneys. I love taking off of work coming down to Bozeman meeting old friends watching basketball , heading over to old hang outs. When UM host the tourney it is still fun for me especially if the Cat's are in the tournament. I understand some of the Big Sky teams do a lousy job of hosting the tourneys but hell make them guarantee the attendance or give it to the next team. I love the college kids who are able to skip a class or two make it to the game. I think if the Big Sky conference wants to bring back the attendance in the tournament as well as the regular season they need to bring back the community feel of the college game and quite trying to match the Big Time of the ACC, Pac 10, Big Ten. Just my opinion.
I love watching the conference tournaments in Bozeman too...the reason I am intrigued by the idea of having the tournament in Vegas is because we don't exactly get to see this very often as MSU fans - maybe by 2025 or so we can luck into a regular season title or two. I bet Weber and UM fans are overwhelmingly against a neutral site tourney.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:07 pm

I agree. There may be some valid reasons for moving it to a neutral site, but will the BSC tourney draw much attention in Vegas if it's competing against several other much more prestigious conference tourneys, that are going on at the same time? Plus hosting the tourney is the only real reward for the regular season champ, especially now that they'll no longer get a bye in the 1st round. I know we haven't experienced this much over the years, but on these few occasions when MSU has hosted the tourney, it was very exciting for MSU fans and the Bozeman community.