Big game Bigby

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Big game Bigby

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:27 pm

From twitter:
@mslacat: #FutureBobcat Kavell Bigby-Williams has another monster night in playoff win 29pts 30 rbs 4ast & 4 blk, http://t.co/468yW8jjN7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big game Bigby

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:41 pm

I don't care if you're playing freshman Class B ball...if you're getting 30 rebounds per game, you're a frickin' beast. :shock:

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:27 am

Goodness. I'm excited to see him transition here.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:32 am

Holy hell! Those numbers are so ridiculous they look like a misprint. 29 and 30??!! \:D/

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu May 29, 2014 3:34 am

Any word on whether Bigby-Williams is still coming here? He was my favorite recruit of the original Huse class, and I like him better than Fish's commits, too.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu May 29, 2014 8:01 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:Any word on whether Bigby-Williams is still coming here? He was my favorite recruit of the original Huse class, and I like him better than Fish's commits, too.
Unless anything has changed in the last couple of weeks, he's coming. Sounds like he's pretty good.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu May 29, 2014 8:43 pm

phantom wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:Any word on whether Bigby-Williams is still coming here? He was my favorite recruit of the original Huse class, and I like him better than Fish's commits, too.
Unless anything has changed in the last couple of weeks, he's coming. Sounds like he's pretty good.
Yeah, I think he'll look good in Blue & Gold.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:30 pm

Next year I believe we are going to see a lot of our 5 freshman recruits. Fish has made it clear to returnees and the recruits, that he will be looking at starters and playing time with a fresh eyes, and not be persuaded by who did (or didn't) do what last year. This is especially true with our big men. I think Norman is the only guy I can point to as pretty much being guaranteed major playing time next next, and that is only true IF he stays health which has been a major problem for him the past two seasons. Our returnees are:

Eric Norman 6-9
Danny Robison 6-8
Blake Brumwell 6-7
Ryan Shannon 6-7

On paper, based on last year, none of these guys brought fear into the hearts any Big Sky coaches last year nor do they expect to this coming year. It is real tough, though, to get a true bead on exactly on where 6-9 Kavel Bigby-Williams, 7-0 Bradley Fisher or 6-9 Quinn Price will be able to contribute next year. I know of a French big man who averaged 32 points 19 rebounds 5 assists and 6 blocks a game his senior season at in France, who was said to be a star player for a D-1 (Big Sky level) team. He really never became a solid contributor for his d-1 team until 1/2 way through his junior season. Like wise Montana State signed a French guard some 5-6 year ago. He had decent stats as a high school but not spectacular (16 points / game if I remember correctly). He did not, though, meet the NCAA standards and had to the JC route instead of MSU. The guy ended up being highly recruited out of his JC and signing with St Johns then of the Big East. You just never know what the competition is like over seas so it is so hard to judge European recruits.. One thing the Bobcat freshman recruits bring, though, is size Additionally Green and Bigby-Williams bring a level of athleticism not common to most Big Sky big men. That said looking at the list of big men above it would not surprise me if one or more of these freshman really challenged Shannon, Brumwell and/or Robison for playing time. I do not see any one I could confidently pencil in the starting line up next to Norman. Here are my thoughts on the new comers.

Kavell Bigby Williams - He seems to be the guy most of us are exited about and he definitely seems to have the biggest upside of the three. Bigby-Williams averaged 21 points 16 rebounds and a ton of blocks a game for one of the top teams high school teams in the UK. He is a an out standing athlete and an aggressive player. Still I am reminded of the inconsistency of European players in the past and hesitant too exited until I see him play in Bozeman against real D-1 players. Things to consider though he has been playing both high school level ball as well as international ball. He has played against older bigger and stronger players and this should serve him well as he adjusts to US college ball. I also think his shot blocking and rebounding should be an asset earlier on for the Bobcats even if his offence needs a little polishing. His ability to play both the 4 and 5 should also be an asset.

Bradly Fisher - At 7-0 Bradley is what I consider to be an traditional old style Big Sky big man in the mold of Former Bobcat Tryg Johnson but taller. He did not play in for an official organised basketball basketball team this past year thanks again to more archaic NCAA rules and he is also a one of those European players that can make me nervous. Unlike Bigby-Williams, though, Fisher does have a track record of playing in the United States playing for Culver High School in Indiana his junior year. Culver high school is not chopped liver when it comes to producing D-1 talent. Over the past 6 or so years they have placed quite a few alum in D-1 schools, including the Big Ten. Fishers junior stats of 12 points and 10 rebounds actually compares quite well to those players. The biggest criticism I hear for Fisher is that he is a work in progress and needs to put on weight/muscle. All thing considered in today's college basketball I would rather have a player report to college under weight than over weight (or under height for that matter). Last summer I was told he was about 220-225 lbs. I am told now he is in the 245-250 range. I am also told he may have the best low post game of the three freshman. In years past, I could see, with a group of experienced upper classmen ahead of him, Fisher taking a redshirt year to hit the weights and work with coach Haslam, but this year I would not be surprised if he played.

Quin Price- Price is in someways a combination of Bigby-Williams and Fisher. Like Bigby Williams he is 6-9 big who could play either the 4 or 5 spot for the Bobcats. He is also at the upper end of athleticism scale (some where between Bigby-Willliams and Fisher) for a Big Sky big man. Quinn also has the reputation as a shot blocking defensive stopper. One would imagine since he played in Arizona that we could get a better feel about where he should fit in next year on the Bobcat depth chart, but despite good stats for a winning team and an extensive AAU back ground we have had folks come on Bobcatnation and spread doubt. The criticism, though, is not without some merit. Price's season was cut short by an injury, and despite being dounble digit scorer and 6-9 he was still available by late March. The one myth I want to put to rest, though, that being he did not have any other D-1 offers. Price had offers from Colgate, University of Ohio & North Dakota, plus had interest from a handful of other schools when he signed with the Bobcats. In today's game when looking at true big men (6-9 or better) athleticism and the ability to run the floor are two of the most important attributes one can look at and Price has both of those. Furthermore, shot blockers can change the complexion of a game with their ability to frustrate opponents in the paint even if that shot blocker is strictly a one dimensional defensive player. For those reason I argue Price is a great late season pick-up with, even if the doubters are correct, but has a great upside if the doubter are wrong.

Now we all know for the most part I am the eternal optimist for the Bobcat basketball programs, and I fully admit that so you can take my opinions with a grain of salt. The odds are that possibly one of these guys may not pan out, but that is just part of the recruiting game. As far as recruiting goes, though, I can not remember a time when when we had this much talent and size in a recruiting class since the early 80's. The key is going to be their development as a college player and this will fall heavily on the sholders of Coach Haslam. It will be up to Haslam to coach them up, both on the court as well as in the weight room. I also hope all three of these guys come to Bozeman with a chip on their shoulder with a desire to prove people wrong. Again all 3 of these guys have the opportunity to make an immediate impact on the program this November, but it is going to take dedication and a lot of hard work by them this summer and into the fall. It could also depend on how much the returnees really want to make their mark on the program and are willing to work this summer. The optimist in me believes we will take our lumps inside next year at times but we have the nucleus for a great future front court. The big question is how hard will the freshman work and how soon the future will arrive.

Madcat
New Recruit

Post by Madcat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Did any of the other big sky teams do anything to upgrade their bigs? I'm still trying to figure out who had the best recruiting year for 2014!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Here is a list of the Freshman to be Big Sky players signed this year that are 6-7 or taller or listed as a PF or center. That I know of. There are a most likely a few JC guys signed who fall into this catagory but I did not list them

Montana added a 6-8 freshman big man recruit from Australia (Fabijan Krslovic) who is suppose to be a real bruiser and may contribute early plus 6-10 Bryden Boehning from Glendive
North Dakota added 6-10 Bryce Cashman
Northern Colorado added 6-7 Ibrahim Sylla and 6-7 Spencer Mathis
Sac State added 6-6 Justin Strings 6-9 Mason Stuteville and 6-8 James Herrick (actually a pretty good class)
Southern Utah 6-9 added Tyler Rawson and 6-6 Sherron Wilson
Weber St added 6-10 Zach Braxton

Madcat
New Recruit

Post by Madcat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:50 pm

Weber lost Tresnak. He was one of the top Bigs in the conference. I think next year is wide open in the Big Sky with coaching departures, transfers and graduation, there's not a team that's loaded.

I like our chances to make some noise!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:07 pm

Madcat wrote:Weber lost Tresnak. He was one of the top Bigs in the conference. I think next year is wide open in the Big Sky with coaching departures, transfers and graduation, there's not a team that's loaded.

Weber is pretty stacked still. They have Jeremy Senglin, last year's Big Sky Freshman of the year, and Joel Bolomboy, the best defensive big man in the league. Bolomboy is also one of the league's top rebounders. Richaud Gittens and Kyndahl Hill are both players who showed real flashes as freshmen as well.

Weber will again be the front-runner next season.

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:56 am

As always, mslacat, thanks for your insight.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:04 pm

So the men's basketball player are back on campus to participate in the Bobcat Basketball camp and start to take summer classes. Typically almost all the player return to campus for a good part of the summer every year, but occationally some choose to stay in their home town for the entire summer. Huse and Durham was fine with this if they were particpating in local pro/am summer leagues. Antonio Bigalow did this a summer or two. As of last night the following players were on campus getting ready for the Bobcat camp that I know are on campus.

Zach Greene
Marcus Colbert
Bradley Fisher
Quinn Price
Mike Dison
Stephen Holms
Danny Robison
Joey Frenchwood
Ryan Shannon
Terrell Brown

that is 10 of the 13. Of the ones I can not yet confirm are:

Blake Brumwell
Eric Norman
Terrell Bibgy-Williams

I am not to worried about Brumwell and Norman, but I really wish I heard something about Bigby-Williams. Either he was on or due on campus or is playing on euro-summer team. Something anything.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:47 am

mslacat wrote:So the men's basketball player are back on campus to participate in the Bobcat Basketball camp and start to take summer classes. Typically almost all the player return to campus for a good part of the summer every year, but occationally some choose to stay in their home town for the entire summer. Huse and Durham was fine with this if they were particpating in local pro/am summer leagues. Antonio Bigalow did this a summer or two. As of last night the following players were on campus getting ready for the Bobcat camp that I know are on campus.

Zach Greene
Marcus Colbert
Bradley Fisher
Quinn Price
Mike Dison
Stephen Holms
Danny Robison
Joey Frenchwood
Ryan Shannon
Terrell Brown

Blake Brumwell
Eric Norman
Terrell Bibgy-Williams

I am not to worried about Brumwell and Norman, but I really wish I heard something about Bigby-Williams. Either he was on or due on campus or is playing on euro-summer team. Something anything.
Individually, I'm not worried about either of them. Collectively, that's pretty much all the rebounding. Those guys are all too big to go unnoticed on campus.

-Trent King, Playmakers

sacstateman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by sacstateman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:26 am

Madcat wrote:Weber lost Tresnak. He was one of the top Bigs in the conference. I think next year is wide open in the Big Sky with coaching departures, transfers and graduation, there's not a team that's loaded.

EWU lost no one......Sac State lost one senior, Jordan Salley who played 14 min per game...... NAU lost only Max Jacobsen

What did you say??????

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:07 pm

And Weber will still be very, very good. And although the Griz lost a superb player in Jamar, they will likely be better this year with the two transfer bigs coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Every team in the BSC will be better except for MSU. :-k

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:36 pm

mslacat wrote:So the men's basketball player are back on campus to participate in the Bobcat Basketball camp and start to take summer classes. Typically almost all the player return to campus for a good part of the summer every year, but occationally some choose to stay in their home town for the entire summer. Huse and Durham was fine with this if they were particpating in local pro/am summer leagues. Antonio Bigalow did this a summer or two. As of last night the following players were on campus getting ready for the Bobcat camp that I know are on campus.

Zach Greene
Marcus Colbert
Bradley Fisher
Quinn Price
Mike Dison
Stephen Holms
Danny Robison
Joey Frenchwood
Ryan Shannon
Terrell Brown

Blake Brumwell
Eric Norman
Terrell Bibgy-Williams

Blake Brumwell's brother is on my softball team and Blake has been there the last few weeks, so he's in town.

I was with Coach Fish on Wednesday night in Missoula and he said all 13 guys are on campus.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:42 pm

I don't know what to expect next year. On paper I think we have solid to very good players at the point guard, shooting guard and small forward (really a third guard) but at the center and Power forward spot we have only one guy (Eric Norman) who I am sure can play one of those spots in the Big Sky. The rest of the big men have potential, or some experience but no solid proven players I would hang my hat on as ready to go in the Big Sky. So I don't have hi expectations at this point I just want to see progress in player development and Fish installing his system through out the season. This is something I did not see with Huse even 4-5 year players like Howard and Rush always seemed to be held back. Give Fish time to see what he has develop what he can and then start plugging holes for next year.

On the rose colored glasses side: The last 3-4 years I really came to believe strongly Huse did not know how to use the players her recruited and that these players are a lot better than they showed us on the court. Remember Antonio Biglow was voted almost unanimously the impact newcomer player of the year (preseason) the year he was recruited. His career though was middling at best. I had one scout ask me if "what did Huse do to Biglow" after he saw him play for the Bobcats last year in California. There are other examples, but I am real curious to see what Marcus Colbert, Terrell Brown and all do under Fish.