'This will be a players-first program' — Fish hired to lead

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

'This will be a players-first program' — Fish hired to lead

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:57 pm

By COLTER NUANEZ
Bobcat Beat

Brian Fish didn’t address the media his first day in Bozeman. He wanted to address his new basketball team first.

Fish was a few minutes late to his welcoming party. He wanted to talk to his mentor first.

The common theme Wednesday as Montana State named Fish the 22nd head coach of its men’s basketball program in school history was a theme of continuity. Fish spoke of his endless respect for his mentor and former boss, Oregon head coach Dana Altman. He spoke of his desire to resurrect the enthusiasm that once permeated Bozeman for Bobcat basketball. He talked about the beginning of what he wants Montana State’s program to become beginning the moment Wednesday’s press conference ended.

Fish has his work cut out for him. He takes over an MSU program that hasn’t won the Big Sky Conference since 2002 and hasn’t made it to the NCAA Tournament since 1996. Fish takes over for Brad Huse, who resigned after eight years at the helm on March 18.

“Brian Fish elevated himself to the top,” said MSU athletic director Peter Fields. “We had over 120 applicants and we interviewed 10 people and we had a great pool of candidates. Brian has enjoyed success at every stage of his development to become a head coach.”

Fish, who spent the last four seasons as Altman’s head assistant at UO, arrived in Bozeman just after noon on Wednesday. He declined to speak to the media initially because he didn’t want to talk to anyone before he had a chance to address his 10 new players.

“The first thing I wanted to do was to make sure the players were the first group I talked to,” Fish said after adjusting his brand new gold Montana State cap to fit his head. “I can’t explain to you how happy and excited I am to get this opportunity. Of all these things that Peter said about me, it’s always centered around really, really, really good people who were our players. When we flew in yesterday, I didn’t mean to avoid the media. Didn’t want to do it. But to establish the type of program, who we are as a program, it was most important to talk to the players.

“This program is about us. We are going to get involved. This is going to be a players-first program. We will do the right things, play the right way, treat others the right way, be held accountable and we will be proud of being Bobcats.”

Fish comes from a Ducks program that has compiled 96 wins, including three in the NCAA Tournament, and advanced to the post-season each of the last four years. He spent the previous six seasons (2004-10 as assistant coach), and eight years overall (including 1994-96 as video coordinator), on Altman's staff at Creighton, and was also assistant coach (2003-04) and associate head coach (2004-05) at San Diego, and assistant coach (1996-2002) on Billy Tubbs' staff at TCU.

Fish’s ties to Altman date back to 1989. The intense Oregon head coach has helped Fish with his rise through the coaching ranks on the way to landing his first head coaching job as a 48-year-old.

“Unfortunately, (Altman) thinks he’s my father figure even though I’m 48,” Fish said with a laugh. “The reason I was late here today was he had me on the phone making sure I didn’t say anything stupid.

“The jobs I’ve interviewed for in the past, he’s always said no, no, no. When this job came available, we had come off a tough loss to Wisconsin. He usually goes into a two-month hibernation. When I talked to him about this, he got back to me and told me this was the right fit. This is the perfect fit. He said, ‘If I’m going to turn you over to someone, I want someone that is going to stand by you. And be a leader, show you the right way, be in your corner every time something good or bad happens. Everyone I talked to, everyone said Peter is the right person for me to work with.”

Fields worked with a committee of eight to sift through the more than 120 applicants and 10 candidates who came in for interviews. The committee included: MSU small business finance and agricultural policy professor George Haines, who served as chairman; land resource and environmental science professor Jane Mangold; Sixth Man Club president Brad Hall; Montana State women’s basketball player Jackie Elliott, the president of the Student Athlete Committee; Randy Morrison, a community member and business owner who is a former official and coach that still works on the MSU scorers’ table; former MSU men’s basketball player and local business owner Jeff Riggs; MSU associate AD for compliance Cami Bechtold; and MSU associate AD for internal operations Dan Davies.

“Turning around the program is one thing, but what I was looking for, the one thing I wanted to see was a coach who was the total package,” Morrison said. “What I mean by the total package I mean he talked about his team first. He talked about reaching out to the community. He talked about how to reach out to ex-players. He talked about how to reach out to the students. We talked about his on-court presence. I was looking for that presence.

“He’s coming from a large-scale program, he’s got the charisma, he’s got the presence, he’s got the background. He’s been around a lot of people with connections. His connections on the upper level are huge. We asked ‘How are we going to build your program?’ Is it high school, JuCo, transfers? What do you do? You have to be connected to make all those pieces fit together.”
Fish takes over a program that finished 14-17 last season, including 9-11 in Big Sky play. The Bobcats missed the Big Sky tournament for the first time in Huse’s tenure.

MSU graduates four players from last year’s squad, including all-league forward Flavien Davis. Redshirt freshman Vance Wentz has transferred as well. That leaves MSU with 10 returners, all of who were in attendance at Wednesday’s announcement.

“It’s a nerve wracking time, but it’s also an exciting time because we have a chance to start fresh,” said senior center Blake Brumwell, a Big Sandy product. “The last few years haven’t gone like we wanted them to, but now is a chance to turn the page. I really like his commitment to this program. He understands, being from Montana myself, the pride this community and this state has for Montana State.”

Fish indentified needing to win the fan base back as his primary goal for his first year. He said he admired MSU head football coach Rob Ash’s program and their ability to fill Bobcat Stadium beyond capacity each Saturday. He also said MSU needs to win the students back.

“If you really want to feel good walking across campus, nothing feels better than walking across campus and hearing a student tell you great game,” Fish said.

“Playing in front of a great crowd absolutely helps us as players,” Brumwell added. “It brings so much energy. We want this to be a difficult place to play in.”

Fish said he doesn’t plan on hiring a full staff for at least a month. He said he wants to spend the next 30 days — the duration of MSU’s spring semester — getting to know his players. Huse’s staff of Shawn Dirden, Chris Haslam and Justin Wetzel are all on contract with MSU through June. Fish said he would consider retaining each.

MSU also has three recruits signed to National Letters of Intent. Fish said he would look into their retention.

During the interview process, Fish said he asked the committee a collection of questions. He said he asked Elliott what the MSU community meant to her.

“I wanted to know about her experience because the locker room doesn’t lie,” Fish said. “When she talked, she welled up and had tears in her eyes. She knew if she ever got hurt, Montana State would stand behind her. I wanted to be associated with that.”

Colter Nuanez can be reached at BobcatBeat56@gmail.com and followed on Twitter @Bobcat_Beat. Photo by Colter Nuanez. 

Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Re: 'This will be a players-first program' — Fish hired to l

Post by WeedKillinCat » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:48 pm

Excellent write up Colter. We are lucky to have you.

Fish gets me excited again about Bobcat basketball.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:12 pm

I was able to attend the press conference and first of all, Colter, thanks for your excellent questions and also the superb write-up of the event.

I just thought that Fish did an outstanding job with the press conference and in answering all of the questions. It is obvious that he and his wife are very excited and moved to be here at MSU.

He absolutely started out on the right foot with his emphasis on meeting and talking with the players before talking to the media or anyone else.

When he was asked if he had watched film of the MSU players he said no and that he didn't plan to. He said he wanted to base all of his evaluation of the players starting today, that what they have done in the past really doesn't matter regarding how he evaluates them.

Also, Colter, your questions about dealing with Montana--again, excellent, excellent answer. That we really can't worry about what goes on over in Missoula. We can only focus on what goes on here at MSU. And if things are done right here everything else will take care of themselves. He said he is very familiar with intra state rivalries since he was at Kansas State and of course Oregon.

He came across to me as a smart, tough guy who is very personable and capable of building relationships with players, alumni, fans and the community. He spoke, very, very, very highly of President Cruzado and her energy level.

I look forward to getting behind this coach and supporting the team.

I hope the students will buy in. Last year MSU tried "gimmicks" to get students to the games, but I wish they would simply set up a big student area as close to the floor as possible and call it "the Bobcat Den," that would be the focus of spirit and enthusiasm for each game. Perhaps they could load up next to the Pep Band in the south end.

The pep band, Champ, cheerleaders, dance team, etc. already do a fabulous job. I think it is up to the students, alumni and fans to come out and get behind the program and give this guy a chance to rebuild the program. One thing is for sure, if we do see a team that truly hustles and plays hard ("comes up with the 50-50 ball" as Fish put it) and we have a large and vocal crowd, it will indeed be tough to win here. The potential is here and it will take all of us to succeed.

Go Cats

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:46 pm

I think there is a plan to move the students up closer to the floor.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Gidal Kaiser
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Gidal Kaiser » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:21 am

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... f887a.html A welcome sight: Montana State rings in Brian Fish era

Info for preps, MSU men's basketball & MSU Olympic sports shows up here first: http://twitter.com/gidal_kaiser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Blue & Gold Blog: http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/app/msu-bobcats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 am

CatBlitz wrote:I think there is a plan to move the students up closer to the floor.
I'm really intrigued to see exactly what the fieldhouse "refresh" offers for fan seating. I agree a "rebuilding" has to start with getting the students back involved in game day, and addressing seating - and then getting butts in those seats - is where to start.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:26 am

KittieKop wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:I think there is a plan to move the students up closer to the floor.
I'm really intrigued to see exactly what the fieldhouse "refresh" offers for fan seating. I agree a "rebuilding" has to start with getting the students back involved in game day, and addressing seating - and then getting butts in those seats - is where to start.
I have heard that they are:

Getting new floor
Moving floor farther north (don't know how far, I heard about 4-5 feet, that could mean moving the media to the south side, and having seating go almost to the floor on North side...)
New seats on north side
Curtain system

I don't know the details about all of this, but those are some of the items that are being done for sure.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:39 am

SACCAT wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Getting new floor
Moving floor farther north (don't know how far, I heard about 4-5 feet, that could mean moving the media to the south side, and having seating go almost to the floor on North side...)
New seats on north side
Curtain system

I don't know the details about all of this, but those are some of the items that are being done for sure.
This project will focus on the main arena including the following project elements:
 Design and install a curtaining system to create a more intimate basketball venue.
Evaluation of the mechanical system and how operations may be affected by a curtain
system is also required.
 Replace the 100-level telescoping bleachers on the north and south sides of the arena to
include new seats with seat backs.
 Purchase/assemble portable bleachers for each basketball baseline (2 ea).
 Install a new sound system.
Last edited by Hawks86 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:46 am

Hawks86 wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Getting new floor
New seats on north side
Curtain system

New sound system also.
Oh crap, don't play it too loud.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:57 am

aucat wrote:He came across to me as a smart, tough guy who is very personable and capable of building relationships with players, alumni, fans and the community. He spoke, very, very, very highly of President Cruzado and her energy level.

Aucat, I think you got him pegged pretty well. When you meet him, he's got an ease about him and is genuinely friendly. The biggest thing about Fish is he connects with people of all different types of backgrounds. That's why he is such an effective recruiter. He connects with kids and he connects with parents. He is also very hard-nosed when he needs to be. If you saw what the Oregon players said about him in the press when asked about him leaving, he's very direct and very honest with the players, but it was easy to see in those quotes how much they genuinely liked him.

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:28 pm

allcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Getting new floor
New seats on north side
Curtain system

New sound system also.
Oh crap, don't play it too loud.

New sound system! YAY! I think that was as annoying for me as our late season collapses.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:29 pm

SACCAT wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Getting new floor
New seats on north side
Curtain system

Didn't they just get a new floor this year with the new logo? I remember noting it, because I didn't really care for the two-toned tan color scheme.

I'd heard the curtain system earlier, the bleacher replacement sounds promising to bring everything in closer to the action, and replacing the baseline bleachers. I know it sounds stupid with attendance being what it is already, but I'd hope for larger/taller baseline bleachers to "ring" the court in better. With the size/scope of the rest of the fieldhouse, the teeny tiny portable bleachers look out of place.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:34 pm

They are replacing the actual floor of the fieldhouse.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:35 pm

Hawks86 wrote:They are replacing the actual floor of the fieldhouse.
Ahhh. Makes more sense.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:42 pm

phantom wrote:
aucat wrote:He came across to me as a smart, tough guy who is very personable and capable of building relationships with players, alumni, fans and the community. He spoke, very, very, very highly of President Cruzado and her energy level.

Aucat, I think you got him pegged pretty well. When you meet him, he's got an ease about him and is genuinely friendly. The biggest thing about Fish is he connects with people of all different types of backgrounds. That's why he is such an effective recruiter. He connects with kids and he connects with parents. He is also very hard-nosed when he needs to be. If you saw what the Oregon players said about him in the press when asked about him leaving, he's very direct and very honest with the players, but it was easy to see in those quotes how much they genuinely liked him.
A little reality check is perhaps needed on the likeability issue. It is easier to be liked by the players as an assistant coach than as the head coach. I have been both (at the high school level) and the head coach usually has to be the bad guy if a situation needs one, also the pressure of being the head guy can effect some peoples temperament. That doesn't mean he won't be well liked as the head coach, just that it is more difficult. He sounds like a great guy, I'm glad he's here and I wish him the best. It would be fun to look forward to Cats basketball again. I used to be a season ticket holder, but other than Cat/griz I haven't watch them play in several years. I'm glad your here Coach Fish lets bring some excitement back to the Brick!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi