State of MSU men's and women's hoops

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

State of MSU men's and women's hoops

Post by aucat » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:55 pm

First of all, I tip my hat to both the UM men and UM women teams and coaches. Not only did both teams WIN the BS regular season and EARN the right to HOST the BSC tournament, but both teams not only made it all the way to the championship games, but WON the championship titles and will go to the NCAA Big Dance. Now, just imagine what all of that meant: first to the UM fans and Missoula. Can you even imagine? Having a packed house for each tournament game? Wow. What a rush for Missoula and the UM fans. Second, imagine the economic impact to Missoula. Not just ONE tournament. Hell, no, let's do TWO! Third, imagine the infusion this made to the UM athletic budget. Are you just a little bit envious Mr. Fields? You need to be!!!!

Now, let's reflect on things. A few years ago it seemed to me that UM football was so entrenched in the state that there was no way MSU would ever pull anywhere close to being even. Well, we did. I'm not saying we are dominating, but I would say that we have edged up enough to actually have the upper hand at this point.

MSU actually has a rich heritage of outstanding basketball. You just have to go back quite a few years. MSU used to have a tournament during the Christmas Holidays. I think it was around the early 1990s, but MSU played Mississippi State from the SEC in the Christmas tournament for the championship. I was there. The place was almost packed and the Cats beat their butts. And the students weren't even in session!!! It was the holidays.

Now, look at the attendance at MSU games today. Look at how much the population of SW Montana has grown since the early 90s to 2013. There is absolutely no reason why MSU should not field championship caliber teams in both men's and women's basketball. None at all. If the teams did that, you could not even get a ticket. Try getting a season ticket in the Pepsi Zone for 2013. You can't. That's because the football program now competes for championships in the BSC.

Right now I have no confidence in the direction of the two programs. I THOUGHT we had it going in women's hoops, but frankly, over the last half of the season, the MSU women were one of the worst teams in the Big Sky. Now, if the women had played bad in the FIRST half of the season and finished strong, we would be optimistic for next year. But it's the other way around. So I anticipate a team that will be lucky to be in the middle of the BSC next year. YAWN.

I don't know. If I was the AD or President, I just would not put up with constantly being mediocre year in and year out and NEVER seriously competing for a championship in basketball. I would put something like this in the coachs' job description: "You have X # of years (5 to 6 would seem reasonable) to have MSU SERIOUSLY competing for championships."

The fact that UM is so dominant with both their men's and women's teams simply shows that it can be done in this state, and that it is going to take damn good coaches to work hard, recruit their butts off, and get the job done. UM has two EXCELLENT coaches who work their butts off, recruit outstanding talent, and then do something with it.

We saw first hand the results of what hard work can do for our football program. It ain't happening in basketball. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Maybe the bar is just set nice and low for hoops at MSU. If that's the case, then fine, we'll continue to see about 1200 fans for the women and 2500 fans for the men. I would not miss a single game for either team if they competed for championships. I bought season tickets this year for the women and attended most of the men's. Right now, I find little reason to get excited about MSU hoops next year. I'm tired of attending boring games where the only true enthusiasm comes from the OUTSTANDING pep band. The fans are just sitting there ready to rumble and scream and yell, but our teams rarely, rarely do anything on the court to warrant such a reaction. Ever notice how many folks have their heads propped up on their elbows as we fall 10-15 points behind?

It seems to me that MSU has set the bar very high in football. I have absolutely no idea why this does not appear to be the case in basketball.

But again, I congratulate the UM Griz Men and Women and their coaches for an absolute superb season. Thanks for showing us how its done. I just hope that Mr. Fields took serious notes.

BozCatFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: State of MSU men's and women's hoops

Post by BozCatFan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:14 am

I have always had a different opinion than most on here but the fact is MSU needs serious work on 50% of the product they can control....the fan experience. The typical "we need to win to draw fans" is complete and utter bullish*. I'm not saying it doesn't help, but it isn't the sole way to make the games attractive to attend.

When I go to the game and they lose, I'm not motivated to go back. My sole focus is on the team's performance because there isn't much else to pay attention to. Its not that social, exciting, or otherwise entertaining.

When I go to other sporting events not at MSU that offer the whole package, and the team loses BUT I have a good time the affect of the loss is minimized. Yes, I leave disappointed they didn't win....but if I had a good time and everything else was exciting and fun I'm more likely to go back. There's a reason the professional and minor leagues and many colleges put so much emphasis on off-the-court/field entertainment.....it works, they can control it, and it takes the focus away from a team's win/loss record.

There is more to the game than just on the court. We need to work on this, and hopefully get more fans to the games. Recruits who come to the gym and see 1,500 actual fans in attendance who have little enthusiasm or energy just aren't going to be motivated to sign up to be a Bobcat. We all complain about recruiting but our recruits don't even see an actual event being put on for the home games. Its pathetic.

There are quite a few programs who don't win but draw well because they offer entertainment, not just a game.

I'd be willing to be the state of the program, regardless of how the team performs, would improve IF the administration would start to implement some improvements to make it "More than Just a Game!"

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:46 pm

BozCatFan wrote:I have always had a different opinion than most on here but the fact is MSU needs serious work on 50% of the product they can control....the fan experience. The typical "we need to win to draw fans" is complete and utter bullish*. I'm not saying it doesn't help, but it isn't the sole way to make the games attractive to attend.

When I go to the game and they lose, I'm not motivated to go back. My sole focus is on the team's performance because there isn't much else to pay attention to. Its not that social, exciting, or otherwise entertaining.

When I go to other sporting events not at MSU that offer the whole package, and the team loses BUT I have a good time the affect of the loss is minimized. Yes, I leave disappointed they didn't win....but if I had a good time and everything else was exciting and fun I'm more likely to go back. There's a reason the professional and minor leagues and many colleges put so much emphasis on off-the-court/field entertainment.....it works, they can control it, and it takes the focus away from a team's win/loss record.

There is more to the game than just on the court. We need to work on this, and hopefully get more fans to the games. Recruits who come to the gym and see 1,500 actual fans in attendance who have little enthusiasm or energy just aren't going to be motivated to sign up to be a Bobcat. We all complain about recruiting but our recruits don't even see an actual event being put on for the home games. Its pathetic.

There are quite a few programs who don't win but draw well because they offer entertainment, not just a game.

I'd be willing to be the state of the program, regardless of how the team performs, would improve IF the administration would start to implement some improvements to make it "More than Just a Game!"
I agree with you to some extent, although I'm not going to be satisfied unless the product on the court also improves. But you make a good point. Look at how much the football game day experience has improved over the past 10-12 years. Sure, winning has helped to generate enthusiasm within our fan base, but the games are much more fun now than they used to be, win or lose.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:46 pm

We need new coaches for both sports. Neither coach is liked that much by the players. Don't be surprised if you see some transfers.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:50 pm

BozCatFan wrote:The typical "we need to win to draw fans" is complete and utter bullish*.
with all due respect i pretty much stopped reading this post after this comment. how can you say that when NOTHING backs it up?! you won't find a single program that has great fan support and packs the stands when they continuosly are bad to mediocre on the court/field. it just doesn't happen in any sport at any level.

this isn't to say the other stuff isn't important at all. but our basketball team could bring in the laker girls for halftime entertainment, give away cash and prizes every game, launch monster trucks over the court, and light a real live grizzly bear on fire and if our team still sucks it won't matter.

winning is the answer for everything.

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by orsalak » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:00 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
BozCatFan wrote:The typical "we need to win to draw fans" is complete and utter bullish*.
with all due respect i pretty much stopped reading this post after this comment. how can you say that when NOTHING backs it up?! you won't find a single program that has great fan support and packs the stands when they continuosly are bad to mediocre on the court/field. it just doesn't happen in any sport at any level.

this isn't to say the other stuff isn't important at all. but our basketball team could bring in the laker girls for halftime entertainment, give away cash and prizes every game, launch monster trucks over the court, and light a real live grizzly bear on fire and if our team still sucks it won't matter.

Chicago Cubs

22-0

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 am

orsalak wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Chicago Cubs
probably the closest example one could come up with but even their attendance has went down every year for the last 4-5 years. they were 6th in 2009, 7th in 2010, 9th in 2011, and 10th in the league last year. still impressive attendance considering they have been less than stellar. but considering the cubs fanbase is considered maybe the best and loyal there is, and considering this franchise has been around for almost a century and a half, and we STILL see a decline in attendance with a decline in performance....i'd say that proves my point.

but of all sports at all levels i'll agree that cub fans are probably the closest there is to fans who don't care if their team wins or loses...

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:49 pm

orsalak wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Chicago Cubs
They would be considered an outlier.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:00 am

orsalak wrote: Chicago Cubs
Right, I love going to Cubs games at Wrigley Field when I get the chance! Mainly because I'm a Cardinals fan.