Lady Cats Basketball / Bobcat Women’s Basketball

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:09 pm

I posted this on my blog (I have pictures over there 8) ), but I wanted to see if I could get some feed back from you guy's on your opionion. I especially interested in what what former (or current) women athletes might have to say about this subject.

So are the known as the Lady Cat’s or the Bobcat Women? Well the official answer in Bozeman is the Bobcat Women’s team. In Missoula, though, it is the Lady Griz. When I attended MSU in the early 80’s the women’s basketball team at MSU was known as the Lady Cat’s basketball team, just like the Griz. It was way until the turn of the century. Sometime during former Bobcat women’s head coach Robin Potera’s tenure it was decided that the Lady Cat’s would from then on, would be know as, The Bobcat Women’s Basketball (alternately The Montana State Women’s Basketball) team. At the time, if memories serve me right, we were told that the women athletes at Montana State asked and voted for this name change. I have been told, though, that Potera was a driving force behind it. Now being somewhat of an enlightened man (although my ex-wife may disagree) I understood some of the reasons behind it. The “Lady Cats” term, somewhat marginalizes the team as not quite at the level as the men’s teams, and the term Montana State is never really used in conduction with the term “Lady Cat’s. Those on the other side will say it actually set the women up in there own “special” category and identity from the men. For my own part when it was announced all I cared was if the players wanted the change, I was all for it. Whether they saw it as an equity issue or simply a better name, I had no problem with it.

While Potera was coach, it was “The Montana State Women’s Basketball” and she would correct you, if you said the “Lady Cat’s, and I know this because she corrected me at a booster function. Since, Potera left / fired / not rehired, though, I have noticed that Lady Cat’s creeping back into the MSU vocabulary. This year when I was down for the Cat/Griz game I could have sworn I heard one of the MSU officials (Gamble or Fields refer) refer to them as the Lady Cats, and on the way out of the field house I also noticed a sign in the basketball office that said “Lady Cats”. I just got the feeling that no one seemed to care, it is kind of a Potato vs. potato (that does not work so well in written form). The other day I decided I wanted to find out, and get to the bottom of this so I contacted a couple people I know (and I use that term loosely) in the athletic department and asked them “Lady Cats” or “Bobcat Women”. I was told by both sources, yes it is officially the Bobcat Women, but we don’t mind if you say Lady Cats.

Do I have a point? Well yea kind of. Look if the women’s basketball team (or volleyball or track, or rodeo) wants to be called the Montana State Women’s team I have no problem, I support them 100%. That is what they should be called, no questions asked, and I will shut up, period. If they are ambivalent or actually like the term “Lady Cats” then you really should reconsider going back to it, for no other reason that marketing.

Right this moment, if got in my car and drove down to Target or Wal-Mart (if I shopped at Wal-Mart) and I could guarantee you with in 2 minutes of being there I will see at least one Lady Griz sweat shirt /t-shirt, and by the time I left I would have seen dozens. Next time you are in Missoula look for yourself. Now how many walking around Bozeman do you see Montana State Bobcat Women’s sweat shirts? I can not remember ANY. While it is true that a lot of women’s fans will simply purchase standard MSU gear, I would argue that with there own brand the women would sell more. I say that based on my experience here in Missoula, but also when you really look at who the women’s fans are. The men may have more fans that attend games (not by much though), the women’s fans are much more devoted. Over all I would argue that the women’s fans are much more invested in the program, and they like to show it. I hate to bring up the cliché of “tough economic times” but I think it is appropriate, to point out that for Bobcat women’s sports (and I am not limiting this to basketball) there is an opportunity to use the term as an asset to the program(s) and not a negative as it has been thought of in the past. I think you guy’s in Marketing refer to it as branding, and creating new revenue streams. The Women’s basketball boosters are a very unique demographic among the over all bobcat boosters and I think this is a way to reflect that.

Again though if the players (and notice I did not say coaches or administration) feels strongly about the more politically correct term than I will shut my mouth.

http://mslacat.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by mslacat on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: Lady Cats Basketball / Bobcat Women’s Basketball

Post by GOKATS » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:27 pm

They'll allways be the 'Lady Cats' to me and there is absolutely nothing in any way degrading or deroggatory about that.

BTW, you shuld have your knuckles hacked off at the third joint for mentioning that POS RP-H. :evil:

:) :wink:

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

CapitalCityCat
Member # Retired

Post by CapitalCityCat » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:07 pm

If RPH were truly concerned she should've stopped using either moniker and referred to the team simply as the "Bobcats" basketball team. After all, either term differentiates the female basketball team from the male basketball team. Can you imagine her coaching at Tennessee and demanding they change their name? Lady Cats just sounds better....

Retiring my moniker. It's time to ride off into the sunset. It's been a fun ride. Go Cats.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:33 pm

I knew bring up Potera's (yea I mentioned her name again) name would bring up a hostile reaction, but I did not know how to tell the story with out it. At one point I google up a picture of her and thought about Photo Shopping in a mustache or something and using it on my blog article, but common sence took over, and I decided I could not do that to anyone.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:58 pm

It should be "Lady 'Cats"

Potera was a self-righteous feminist :yuck:

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

Catfan6969
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catfan6969 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:10 pm

The change from Lady Cats to Bobcat women actually started during the Tracy Sheehan years, and as the PA announcer and then radio play-by-play announcer during the McCarthy years, I know for a fact that's when it happened. The women were wanting the change and I was asked to announce them as the Bobcats. No lady in front.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:19 pm

Uppity feminists ... there's nothing wrong with calling the teams the "Lady Bobcats" and the "Gentlemen Bobcats." Nothing wrong at all. :wink:

bozbobcat
Member # Retired

Post by bozbobcat » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:15 am

I think Bobcats is an acceptable term for all teams, including the ladies' teams. It just depends on what perspective each group takes, or what the ladies want to be called. It's also an athletic department culture. For example, Idaho State explicitly states in their media guides and press releases that all Bengal teams are to be referred to as the Bengals. Lady Bengals is not to be used. I guess it comes down to whatever term is the most useful. If they're called Lady Cats or Bobcats, they're still Bobcats.

GO CATS!
It's always a good day to be a Bobcat fan! :) =D^ \:D/
My name is Steve, if you'd like to know.

Ponycat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Ponycat » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:42 pm

My wife played for the Cats and she calls them the "Lady Cats" so as far as I'm concerned they are the "Lady Cats"...at least until my wife changes OUR minds. :oops:

The devil made me do it the first time... the second time I done it on my own.

Bleedinbluengold
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:17 am

What's interesting to me is the fact that our women's team appears to be trying to find an identity - one that they haven't heretofor earned year-in-year-out by their success on the floor. Lady Vols, Lady Griz - these teams, amongst others, don't appear to have the same identity crisis. To each their own. I hope our team finds what they are looking for.

Montana State IS what "they" think Montana is.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:23 am

I frankly don't know why they cannot be called both.

The Lady Griz is the name for the women's team at Montana, but if you are watching a game and making a statement about them, rarely do you call them "the Lady Griz". It's just the "Griz" at that point (e.g. "The Griz are really getting after the rebounds tonight"). I just think it's nice have a moniker that immediately differentiates the women's team. They deserve that, in my opinion. And I certainly do not see how that doesn't make them any less Griz or less Bobcat than any other program, however.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.