MBB: Cats @ UNC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Re: MBB: Cats @ UNC

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Wow, very poor dispaly to say the least. This team is lost. Something needs to give here. I have watched a lot of basketbal in my day and what I saw today indicates something gone wrong. This was embarassing. It's time to hold people accountable.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:31 pm

My Dear Mom (RIP) always said, 'if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all', so............ :-#

From MSU-
MSU Falls at Northern Colorado Sunday
MSU Bobcats Men's Basketball News : 2009-03-01 : Bozeman, MT
By MSU Sports Information

Sunday's game will be re-broadcast on the Bobcat Radio Network on Sunday at 7 pm...

Northern Colorado jumped to a 13-2 lead and never looked back, beating Montana State 77-50 in Greeley on Sunday.

The Bears pounded Montana State 40-to-29 on the boards, including a staggering 28-to-9 margin in the first half, when UNC outscored the Bobcats 36-23. Northern Colorado sealed its win by scoring the first six points of the second half.

Jabril Banks scored 14 points to lead all players, while Devon Beitzel scored 13 and Will Figures 12. No Bobcat cracked double-digits, although Marquis Navarre and Bobby Howard each scored nine and Divaldo Mbunga scored eight. Mbunga led all players with nine rebounds.

Northern Colorado shot 54.5% in the second half, while limiting the Bobcats to 30.8% shooting overall, 28.6% after halftime. MSU's recent shooting woes continued. The Bobcats have shot below 45% in seven straight games, and below 40% five times in that span.

On Saturday, Montana State clinched a spot in the 2009 Big Sky Conference Tournament. Sunday's loss pins down the sixth seed for the Bobcats, which sends MSU to Missoula for a 7 pm game on Saturday, March 7, against Montana.

There's no way in hell I'm going to San Franzoulla next Sat., but I will catch the game and wish the Cats the best. I will also be at the start of Spring Ball on Sat. Go Cats!!!

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DawsonPirate » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:33 am

ALL - MY "buddy" LONGHORN 22,

The season is coming to an end.... Probably not fast enough. Coach Huse has some real problems and the last two games - the Cats need to step-up our does Huse and staff make some serious decisions and blow this thing up. I back in pre-season told you the JUCO back court would hurt this team. Navarre and Bynum, are not good shooters from 15' out and recruiters should know this. Navarre, that is Coach Starr's bring in player and he is not the answer for next year. Bynum great athlete - cannot shoot a lick from the outside or the FT line.

Look at this box score and this tells the story of the season. Like last year, Bob Howard has ran out-of-gas and hit the wall. Great kid but check last season - however was a true freshman. Piepoli inconsistent and Rush a major disaapoitment, especially when some were talking pre-season accollades. Inside very disappointing.

Question as many of you may wonder --- who will get runoff or quit? With "NO" available offers the roster you have now is pretty much the same for 2009-10. Second one could be made available " Were is Hennessey?"

I was off one slot and predicted 2 games under.500. Heck with the knock off's of Oregon State and Colorado, which would not happen today they have improved--- this program could have been more like 5-6 games with two left. Huse is the right guy --- he needs to evaluate and clean his staff out and find recruiters who can bring in talent. Starr is too young, Preibe, heck look at Loyola Marymount that was his program, and Carnell, comes as a volunteer from a poor D2 program.

Inclosing, Huse might have to make some serious decisions on his roster for next year. Count on it players will leave or asked to leave.

Take a look at this horrible game:

VISITORS: Montana State 12-15, 6-9 BSC
TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
## Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN
33 PIEPOLI, Danny...... f 2-8 1-6 0-0 0 0 0 2 5 0 2 1 1 17
42 JOHNSON, Branden.... f 0-2 0-1 0-0 0 3 3 1 0 0 0 1 0 22
32 MBUNGA, Divaldo..... c 2-4 0-0 4-5 7 2 9 3 8 2 1 0 0 23
03 NAVARRE, Marquis.... g 2-4 1-1 4-4 0 2 2 0 9 0 3 2 1 28
20 BYNUM, Will......... g 3-9 0-0 2-5 1 3 4 3 8 2 4 0 3 24
01 BROWN, Austin....... 1-4 0-1 2-3 1 0 1 4 4 0 1 2 0 23
15 HOWARD, Bobby....... 3-11 0-4 3-4 1 3 4 1 9 0 1 0 0 23
21 HENDERSON, Cameron.. 1-2 0-0 0-0 1 2 3 2 2 1 2 0 0 7
23 RUSH, Erik.......... 1-6 0-0 1-2 0 2 2 3 3 0 3 0 2 21
34 ANDERSON, Cody...... 1-2 0-1 0-0 1 0 1 1 2 0 1 0 0 12
TEAM................
Totals.............. 16-52 2-14 16-23 12 17 29 20 50 5 18 6 7 200

TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 8-24 33.3% 2nd Half: 8-28 28.6% Game: 30.8% DEADB
3-Pt. FG% 1st Half: 0-5 0.0% 2nd Half: 2-9 22.2% Game: 14.3% REBS
F Throw % 1st Half: 7-10 70.0% 2nd Half: 9-13 69.2% Game: 69.6% 3

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:45 am

GOKATS wrote:My Dear Mom (RIP) always said, 'if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all', so............ :-#
It's about time you finally take that advise to heart. :wink:

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HiLineCat » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:02 am

I haven't seen them play in person and this was the first time I really got to see them on TV. What I can't believe is how many forced shots we put up. Shots that just seem to be a hope and a prayer. You don't win many games like that.

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Old Skool Cat » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:59 am

I've tried to remain positive for much of the season with exception of a meltdown or two. I've tried to realize that this is a very young team that may have some talent in the wings. But what I saw yesterday was one of the worst basketball performances I've seen out of a Bobcat team in quite awhile. Where, oh where, to begin:

Shot selection - This has become a very big problem the last month or so. I have never seen so many hurried shots or just plain ole' bad shots from a DI basketball team in my life. They do a good job of passing and moving the ball around, but then the end result is usually a shot you don't want someone making.

Shot making - Even when we do get an open look, we have to find anyone consistent in knocking down shots. Rush and Piepoli were supposed to be shooters. But both looked much better two years before they redshirted when they were true freshmen. Maybe the redshirt year and being taken out of competitive action actually hurt these two more than it helped. Our guards can't hit short-range jumpers, and even worse, they're probably the worst free-throw shooters on the team!

Rebounding - We led the league in rebounding coming into yesterday's game and then just got dominated by a team that's much smaller than us in the paint.

Inside game - Mbunga is good, but not dominant. Cody Anderson may be the slowest big man I've ever seen don a Bobcat uniform. He can't move, he can't jump, and when he's in the game, he gets stuck out at top and then can't get back down in time to defend the lane. Brandon and Bobby have just disappeared completely.

Unlike Dawson Pirate who felt we were doomed from the beginning, I thought this had the makings of a decent team. They started out strong, and I believed they would eventually gel as a team and make a run for one of the top spots in the league. Rather, they have gotten progressively worse, played more as individuals than as a team late in the season, and they seem to have lost their desire and drive. These are problems that I lay with the coaching staff, not the kids. I am not talking about heads rolling or people getting fired; at least not yet. But this staff, Huse included, needs to show me a hell of a lot more next season when he's got a fully seasoned team with everyone back (except Mbunga). If they perform next year like they have this season, the writing may be on the wall.

In closing, I don't see us giving Weber much of a game tomorrow night. We'll end the season with a 5-game losing streak, limp into Missoula, and probably continue the embarrassment of being handled by the grizzlies. Yet, I will drive over from Helena tomorrow night for the game, and there's a better-than-good chance I will drive over to SanFranzzoula for the tourney game. This is my team, these are my guys, and I will stand with them through thick and thin like I always have. They are Bobcats - I am a Bobcat - always be proud to be a Bobcat.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:16 am

Billings_Griz wrote:
GOKATS wrote:My Dear Mom (RIP) always said, 'if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all', so............ :-#
She had no problem with FTG or anything similar. :wink:

FTG!!

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:31 am

GOKATS wrote:
Billings_Griz wrote:
She had no problem with FTG or anything similar. :wink:
#-o

:lol: :lol: :thumbup:

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DawsonPirate » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:50 am

Billings Griz - This is Division 1 basketball - not the local YMCA. Watched this roster and coaching staff - from the beginning I have been straight on my observation and if it hurts so be it... Know a little about hoops and this conference. My pre-season predictions seem pretty much right on. If it hurts it will only hurt more on Wednesday and Sunday. Losing 6-7 and finishing the season is not acceptable at any level.

Plus next year the upper teams will be stronger and NAU has a great freshman and transfer group coming in.

For MSU ----- if you can not shoot know you never will. Shooters are born shooters.

My slogan for Huse and staff " Recruit to shoot going forward!"

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:42 am

he Bears pounded Montana State 40-to-29 on the boards, including a staggering 28-to-9 margin in the first half
Holy CRAP!

Getting out-rebounded 4-1 is all about effort and desire. Sure, sometimes the ball (literally) bounces in one team's favor. But a 4-1 margin is a combo of poor shot selection, poor positioning and (primarily) poor effort.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:08 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:
he Bears pounded Montana State 40-to-29 on the boards, including a staggering 28-to-9 margin in the first half
Holy CRAP!

Getting out-rebounded 4-1 is all about effort and desire. Sure, sometimes the ball (literally) bounces in one team's favor. But a 4-1 margin is a combo of poor shot selection, poor positioning and (primarily) poor effort.
It's still terrible, don't get me wrong, but the it would have been 3-1 not 4-1.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:12 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:
GrizinWashington wrote:
Holy CRAP!

It's still terrible, don't get me wrong, but the it would have been 3-1 not 4-1.
UM math. :wink:

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:15 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:
longhorn_22 wrote:
GrizinWashington wrote:
Holy CRAP!

UM math. :wink:
:lol:
I was thinking that, but I didn't want to take any more away from you. :wink:

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:50 pm

DawsonPirate wrote:Billings Griz - This is Division 1 basketball - not the local YMCA. Watched this roster and coaching staff - from the beginning I have been straight on my observation and if it hurts so be it... Know a little about hoops and this conference. My pre-season predictions seem pretty much right on. If it hurts it will only hurt more on Wednesday and Sunday. Losing 6-7 and finishing the season is not acceptable at any level.

Plus next year the upper teams will be stronger and NAU has a great freshman and transfer group coming in.

For MSU ----- if you can not shoot know you never will. Shooters are born shooters.

My slogan for Huse and staff " Recruit to shoot going forward!"

HUH? What do I have to do w/ this? :?

I was simply giving GK a little rubbing about him listening/not listening to his mother, God rest her soul.

4everacatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 4everacatfan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:11 pm

DawsonPirate wrote:ALL - MY "buddy" LONGHORN 22,

The season is coming to an end.... Probably not fast enough. Coach Huse has some real problems and the last two games - the Cats need to step-up our does Huse and staff make some serious decisions and blow this thing up. I back in pre-season told you the JUCO back court would hurt this team. Navarre and Bynum, are not good shooters from 15' out and recruiters should know this. Navarre, that is Coach Starr's bring in player and he is not the answer for next year. Bynum great athlete - cannot shoot a lick from the outside or the FT line.

Look at this box score and this tells the story of the season. Like last year, Bob Howard has ran out-of-gas and hit the wall. Great kid but check last season - however was a true freshman. Piepoli inconsistent and Rush a major disaapoitment, especially when some were talking pre-season accollades. Inside very disappointing.Question as many of you may wonder --- who will get runoff or quit? With "NO" available offers the roster you have now is pretty much the same for 2009-10. Second one could be made available " Were is Hennessey?"

I was off one slot and predicted 2 games under.500. Heck with the knock off's of Oregon State and Colorado, which would not happen today they have improved--- this program could have been more like 5-6 games with two left. Huse is the right guy --- he needs to evaluate and clean his staff out and find recruiters who can bring in talent. Starr is too young, Preibe, heck look at Loyola Marymount that was his program, and Carnell, comes as a volunteer from a poor D2 program.

Inclosing, Huse might have to make some serious decisions on his roster for next year. Count on it players will leave or asked to leave.

TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
TEAM................

Not to try to excuse bad play but if you watched the game yesterday and at PSU Howard it appears is playing on one leg I do not think from just watching that he is at 100% and as a poster said earlier Rush has been injured but trying to play through for the last couple of weeks. Piepoli how can you be consistant when you get yanked in and out as much as he has this past 6 weeks? Honestly these three are not making the best shot choices but they are out there busten their butts and whether you like it or not I would rather have guys out there taken chances and tryin to make plays rather than playing it safe for fear you will get yanked and just dialing it in. One stat you missed Howard took two charges yesterday and Rush had one.

Again they are Sophomores and if they seem like they are fading checkout the amount of minutes they have had to play this year to keep us in games. Maybe the question should be what is going on early in the year that causes the February fade?

Domako
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Domako » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:08 pm

4everacatfan wrote:

Look at this box score and this tells the story of the season. Like last year, Bob Howard has ran out-of-gas and hit the wall. Great kid but check last season - however was a true freshman. Piepoli inconsistent and Rush a major disaapoitment, especially when some were talking pre-season accollades. Inside very disappointing.Question as many of you may wonder --- who will get runoff or quit? With "NO" available offers the roster you have now is pretty much the same for 2009-10. Second one could be made available " Were is Hennessey?"

TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
TEAM................

Not to try to excuse bad play but if you watched the game yesterday and at PSU Howard it appears is playing on one leg I do not think from just watching that he is at 100% and as a poster said earlier Rush has been injured but trying to play through for the last couple of weeks. Piepoli how can you be consistant when you get yanked in and out as much as he has this past 6 weeks? Honestly these three are not making the best shot choices but they are out there busten their butts and whether you like it or not I would rather have guys out there taken chances and tryin to make plays rather than playing it safe for fear you will get yanked and just dialing it in. One stat you missed Howard took two charges yesterday and Rush had one.

Again they are Sophomores and if they seem like they are fading checkout the amount of minutes they have had to play this year to keep us in games. Maybe the question should be what is going on early in the year that causes the February fade?

Please don't bring up how many minutes a guy plays, that is the worst excuse I have ever heard. These guys are around 20 years old, they should be able to play 40 minutes every game.
As far as getting yanked in and out of games, play consistent and I bet whoever does would never get yanked. Playing hard doesn't keep you on the floor, playing good basketball does
and everyone will admit that there ain't much good play right now.

Tom Domako

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:50 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:I really don't see how we beat Weber on Tuesday, let alone win a game in the tourney, especially if we face UM or ISU.
If we played those games 100 times we'd lose all 100. How did we win the games we won? Seriously-it's a complete mystery to me.
That is what is so baffling. We beat Oregon State, a middle of the pack Pac-10 team, and WSU, which no other BSC team has been able to do, both on the road no less, but by the end of the season we are playing so badly, that I'm not sure we'd beat any of the better Frontier Conference teams (I'm completely serious about that). The last two years especially, we have just gotten gradually worse and worse throughout the course of the season. In contract to the women, who have improved significantly during the season each of the past two years, and have been playing their best ball going into the tourney. When we hired Huse, I thought it was a great hire, and have supported him strongly ever since, but I am starting to come to the conclusion that there is something drastically wrong within the MBB program. That UNC game was humiliating, and the tourney game against UM is likely to be even more humiliating.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:07 pm

Domako wrote:
4everacatfan wrote:

TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
TEAM................

Please don't bring up how many minutes a guy plays, that is the worst excuse I have ever heard. These guys are around 20 years old, they should be able to play 40 minutes every game.
As far as getting yanked in and out of games, play consistent and I bet whoever does would never get yanked. Playing hard doesn't keep you on the floor, playing good basketball does
and everyone will admit that there ain't much good play right now.
Thank you for making that point...I agree completely (of course it is much more credible coming from you). High school kids in Montana sometimes play 4 games in 3 days during tournaments (in fact, Big Sandy's boys and Belt's girls teams ended up playing 5 games in 3 days at the state tourney last year), and some of these kids play every minute of every game. So then we're supposed to believe that these college kids are being asked to play too many minutes??? Please!!!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:30 pm

It's not fatigue-it's simply lack of skill-coupled with incredibly poor execution. I think earlier in the season some teams made the mistake of not playing zone against us. Once everybody figured out we didn't have any shooters all we've seen is zone.

Piepoli wouldn't have to be pulled constantly if he wasn't such a liability on defense-but he is-thus Huse resorts to a lot of situational substituting.

Our two guards-Navarre and Bynum have no range. Guards need to hit from out...even the Bulls had to have Steve Kerr for crying out loud!

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:35 pm

The UNC game was pug ugly, no getting around it. Let's let it go.

Tomorrow night the Cats host WSU in a game that won't matter as far as conference seedings go, but it's a good time for the Cats to hopefully show some good effort and get a home win going into the game against the griz.

Nothing would be better than for the Cats to take out the griz in the 1st Round of the tournie, and I really believe there's a chance of that happening. Go Cats!!!

FTG!!