Bring In Bob Knight!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BozCatFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Bring In Bob Knight!

Post by BozCatFan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:28 pm

I like Coach Huse. He is full of class, dignity, and is a wonderful person. Having said that, the Cats need some discipline. His teams seem to miss way too many free throws, gives up more points in the paint, and shoot more ill advised three pointers.

It would be nice to have a more comprehensive understanding of basketball and what the schemes we play are. As a fan with average basketball knowledge it is pretty frustrating to be stuck in mediocrity.

I wish Bob Knight would come to MSU and help out. According to ESPN radio he is interested in coaching again. He loves Bozeman, hunting, fishing, and might be a good fit...I wonder if he might come work with Coach Huse to develop his coaching skills.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bring In Bob Knight!

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:56 pm

BozCatFan wrote:It would be nice to have a more comprehensive understanding of basketball and what the schemes we play are. As a fan with average basketball knowledge it is pretty frustrating to be stuck in mediocrity.
We should aspire to medicority. We're going to be duking it out with Sac State for last place I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, these guys should have learned how to shoot free throws by high school. I think this staff's ability to evaluate talent might be called into question at this point.

I don't know if Knight is the answer...but right now I'd be willing to try anything-even if it's wrong.

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:01 pm

I'm not a fan of Huse, nor am I a fan of the product he puts out on the floor. Our teams have underachieved every year since he has been at MSU. I'm not saying it's time to change coaches or anything because Huse is great at keeping the players focused on school and getting them graduated, but something has to give at some point. Somebody has the answer, but it certainly isn't me.

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

oldcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oldcatfan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:51 pm

No offense to posters on this thread, but anyone who doesn't think Coach Huse is a disciplinarian obviously does not know him and has never seen a practice. People--you can't judge our program on whether or not we beat Montana. Our programs are different, our priorities are different, and anyone who does not see that doesn't get it. And that's okay. What MSU is trying to do is build a program with integrity with good kids who excel at athletics, but also as people. The coaches work hard to find the right kids that fit. Anyone who judges the athletic department on the basis of win-lose to the Griz is extremely short sighted. I understand the passion and commend it. Just don't lose sight of the bigger picture.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:57 pm

oldcatfan wrote:No offense to posters on this thread, but anyone who doesn't think Coach Huse is a disciplinarian obviously does not know him and has never seen a practice. People--you can't judge our program on whether or not we beat Montana. Our programs are different, our priorities are different, and anyone who does not see that doesn't get it. And that's okay. What MSU is trying to do is build a program with integrity with good kids who excel at athletics, but also as people. The coaches work hard to find the right kids that fit. Anyone who judges the athletic department on the basis of win-lose to the Griz is extremely short sighted. I understand the passion and commend it. Just don't lose sight of the bigger picture.

Please explain. How are the programs' priorities different?

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:28 am

oldcatfan wrote:No offense to posters on this thread, but anyone who doesn't think Coach Huse is a disciplinarian obviously does not know him and has never seen a practice. People--you can't judge our program on whether or not we beat Montana. Our programs are different, our priorities are different, and anyone who does not see that doesn't get it. And that's okay. What MSU is trying to do is build a program with integrity with good kids who excel at athletics, but also as people. The coaches work hard to find the right kids that fit. Anyone who judges the athletic department on the basis of win-lose to the Griz is extremely short sighted. I understand the passion and commend it. Just don't lose sight of the bigger picture.
Oh please-all you're going to do is start a flame war. I didn't see any of their players growing horns or carrying pitchforks...some of their fans maybe, but not their players. Losing to them at every fricken team sport is not acceptable-I don't care if our kids are healing the sick in their free time.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:42 am

BozCatFan wrote:I like Coach Huse. He is full of class, dignity, and is a wonderful person. Having said that, the Cats need some discipline. His teams seem to miss way too many free throws, gives up more points in the paint, and shoot more ill advised three pointers.

It would be nice to have a more comprehensive understanding of basketball and what the schemes we play are. As a fan with average basketball knowledge it is pretty frustrating to be stuck in mediocrity.

I wish Bob Knight would come to MSU and help out. According to ESPN radio he is interested in coaching again. He loves Bozeman, hunting, fishing, and might be a good fit...I wonder if he might come work with Coach Huse to develop his coaching skills.
Not sure if you've ever been to a Huse led practice, but if he's not a disciplinarian, then I'm not sure who would be. He runs some of the toughest practices I've ever seen.

As for free throw shooting...didn't we lead the league in free throw shooting last season?

Tonight's game was frustrating...offensively we sucked. I thought overall our defense was decent, but unfortunately we didn't have any consistent shooters who can bust a zone. Hard to beat a zone when no one is hitting from outside.

A couple things I've noticed with this team is that we are lacking leadership on the court and a defensive presence in the paint. I thought Mbunga was going to fulfill both these roles he has been really inconsistent, and has disappeared in a number of games.

Willie06
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willie06 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:00 am

Hope you have plenty of chairs if Bobby K were to ever come (fat chance).

Image Image
I am in no condition to post...wait I'm drunk I shouldn't be listening to myself.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:51 am

Willie06 wrote:Hope you have plenty of chairs if Bobby K were to ever come (fat chance).
I don't know how anyone could advocate hiring Bobby Knight for any coaching job. Yeah, I know he's a great coach, his players graduate, they don't get into trouble, and he has never violated any NCAA rules. But his behavior would never be tolerated in the corporate world, or any profession for that matter, including pro sports. Remember Latrell Sprewell getting suspended for the rest of the season for choking his coach? But Bobby Knight can punch kids, throw chairs, and get into altercations with cops, and Indiana University tolerated it for years. I can't imagine anyone wanting their kid to play for that guy. He expects discipline from his team and his players as individuals, and yet makes no effort to excersise any self-discipline.

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by D-Wreck » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:12 pm

Willie06 wrote:Hope you have plenty of chairs if Bobby K were to ever come (fat chance).
That's what we need. Just as we get away from all the bad football publicity, we hire a coach to choke some more of our athletes. Super.

CAT 1988
New Recruit

Post by CAT 1988 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:15 pm

Brad Huse is a very good coach. He took over a horrible situation when he arrived with all of the criminals that Coach Durham brought in. It did not take Brad long to send those players packing and he finished with a very respectable 11-19 record with GOOD, quality Montana kids playing for him.......Durr, Dissly and Durham. He has great discipline and players have left the program because of his high expectations.

If you want to criticize a coach for lack of discipline look at Mick Durham.....the JC's he brought in ran the show and look what happened. Mick should have stuck with Dissly, Durr and Durham together from their sophomore years on as Brad did when they were seniors.

Brad is a PERFECT fit for MSU and all he needs is some time and support!
=D^

4everacatfan

Post by 4everacatfan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Yeh Coach showed us his discipline at the end of the game when we are down 8 with five minutes to go and he takes an entire timeout to call Dvialdo a WIMP I was sitting in the West (closest to the Bobcat bench) Endzone and did hear the entire thing, then before we know it we are down 16 after that tirade. Then the way he disrespects Howard through out the entire second half the Kid is posting up and has Jack McGillis guarding him and he doesnt get the ball from Navarre or Bynum and he says something to Navarre about it and Huse yells several very loud and profanity filled statements at him (no wonder he takes the 30 ftr.) that is the only touch he gets from those two guards. But the classic came with a minute and one half left and I guess he did not like BJ's facial expression and he yanked him and put Howard back in (who he just pulled for the bad shot selection) and then proceeded to yell at the young man and when BJ sat down he did not come down once but twice more to scream at him some more. Pepoli it seemed from the endzone was trying to help BJ by getting him to move down the bench out of the line of fire. People in our area yelled, "Hey Brad how bout go back to coaching I think you made your point!"

This display by Coach Huse did bring back Knightesque memories from his days at Indiana but what really happend Saturday was that #1 Coach Huse panicked and when he panics we go from being five guys who work very well out there to let one guy drive and go 1 on five. We do not need a Carlos type offense that is what got us down the stretch last year. What we do need is Navarre to sit and James Hennessy to play the point he is the only one that understands what a point guards job is.

#2 Huse Snapped - He will not do it and I do not know if they would accept it but he needs to apologize to his team for his behavior. His total disrespect for his players is inexcuseable at any level. He holds Hennessy and Peipoli to a much higher standard then Navarre and Bynum and maybe you can't treat them all the same but those two need to take a step back and learn it is not all about them out there!!

JMHO

CAT 1988
New Recruit

Post by CAT 1988 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:31 pm

College players don't have their moms and dads there to protect them so I guess you need to! These are adult males who are on full scholarship and are responsible for their poor play.....Give me a break!

Poor players being yelled at! [-X Those players mentioned should aplogize to the team for their poor play and individualism. You are right...get the ball to the proper people!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:43 pm

4everacatfan wrote:Yeh Coach showed us his discipline at the end of the game when we are down 8 with five minutes to go and he takes an entire timeout to call Dvialdo a WIMP I was sitting in the West (closest to the Bobcat bench) Endzone and did hear the entire thing, then before we know it we are down 16 after that tirade. Then the way he disrespects Howard through out the entire second half the Kid is posting up and has Jack McGillis guarding him and he doesnt get the ball from Navarre or Bynum and he says something to Navarre about it and Huse yells several very loud and profanity filled statements at him (no wonder he takes the 30 ftr.) that is the only touch he gets from those two guards. But the classic came with a minute and one half left and I guess he did not like BJ's facial expression and he yanked him and put Howard back in (who he just pulled for the bad shot selection) and then proceeded to yell at the young man and when BJ sat down he did not come down once but twice more to scream at him some more. Pepoli it seemed from the endzone was trying to help BJ by getting him to move down the bench out of the line of fire. People in our area yelled, "Hey Brad how bout go back to coaching I think you made your point!"

This display by Coach Huse did bring back Knightesque memories from his days at Indiana but what really happend Saturday was that #1 Coach Huse panicked and when he panics we go from being five guys who work very well out there to let one guy drive and go 1 on five. We do not need a Carlos type offense that is what got us down the stretch last year. What we do need is Navarre to sit and James Hennessy to play the point he is the only one that understands what a point guards job is.

#2 Huse Snapped - He will not do it and I do not know if they would accept it but he needs to apologize to his team for his behavior. His total disrespect for his players is inexcuseable at any level. He holds Hennessy and Peipoli to a much higher standard then Navarre and Bynum and maybe you can't treat them all the same but those two need to take a step back and learn it is not all about them out there!!

JMHO
I was as mad as Huse watching that game. I would have snapped on the bench as well. It was a ROUGH game to watch.

YOUNG TEAM, BAD GAME ... the bottom line is we can play a heck of a lot better than that and we need to stay positive and fix the parts thart are not working right now. The Griz ran into the same type chemistry issues earlier in the season and the righted the ship. We just need to roll up our sleeves and get to work and try and improve EVERY game from here on out and improve by tournament time. For how bad we played, we were pretty much right there at the 4-5 minute mark so if I were the Griz I wouldn't want to play this team for the 3rd time in the tournament. We could be a very dangerous team.

4everacatfan

Post by 4everacatfan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:11 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
4everacatfan wrote:Yeh Coach showed us his discipline at the end of the game when we are down 8 with five minutes to go and he takes an entire timeout to call Dvialdo a WIMP I was sitting in the West (closest to the Bobcat bench) Endzone and did hear the entire thing, then before we know it we are down 16 after that tirade. Then the way he disrespects Howard through out the entire second half the Kid is posting up and has Jack McGillis guarding him and he doesnt get the ball from Navarre or Bynum and he says something to Navarre about it and Huse yells several very loud and profanity filled statements at him (no wonder he takes the 30 ftr.) that is the only touch he gets from those two guards. But the classic came with a minute and one half left and I guess he did not like BJ's facial expression and he yanked him and put Howard back in (who he just pulled for the bad shot selection) and then proceeded to yell at the young man and when BJ sat down he did not come down once but twice more to scream at him some more. Pepoli it seemed from the endzone was trying to help BJ by getting him to move down the bench out of the line of fire. People in our area yelled, "Hey Brad how bout go back to coaching I think you made your point!"

JMHO
I was as mad as Huse watching that game. I would have snapped on the bench as well. It was a ROUGH game to watch.

YOUNG TEAM, BAD GAME ... the bottom line is we can play a heck of a lot better than that and we need to stay positive and fix the parts thart are not working right now. The Griz ran into the same type chemistry issues earlier in the season and the righted the ship. We just need to roll up our sleeves and get to work and try and improve EVERY game from here on out and improve by tournament time. For how bad we played, we were pretty much right there at the 4-5 minute mark so if I were the Griz I wouldn't want to play this team for the 3rd time in the tournament. We could be a very dangerous team.
I am not saying don't yell at them and you are right they are young men and they did not play well but Coach Huse's behavior on Saturday was over the top and I really think the way he behaves has a direct impact on these players and how they perform. He stays clam and they fight harder and they come back he panics then they panic. He should have stayed calm made the players run the offense and maybe we would have come back to win.

oldcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oldcatfan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Holy crap Batman--
Huse panicked? Oh please--I don't know if the guy knows how to panic. Mad? Yeah, he gets mad. And I bet he gets frustrated. But panic? I don't think so.

His coaching style fits the guys he coaches. They respond. A quiet guy recruits guys that fit his style. Huse recruits guys that fit him and respond to him. Sure he yells a lot--so what? These aren't fifth grade girls. For heavens sake, you have to scream at Bobby Howard just to get his attention. If I had a kid, I'd want him playing for Huse. You obviously don't know the man, his character, his love for the game and his players. I think if Huse didn't yell, then they'd panic. Don't kid yourselves--those guys know he has their best interests at heart. He is intense, but so be it. He's a good coach and given a few more years to put his program together, we'll be lucky if we can hang on to him.

WiZaRdOfOz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by WiZaRdOfOz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:44 pm

oldcatfan wrote:Holy crap Batman--
Huse panicked? Oh please--I don't know if the guy knows how to panic. Mad? Yeah, he gets mad. And I bet he gets frustrated. But panic? I don't think so.

His coaching style fits the guys he coaches. They respond. A quiet guy recruits guys that fit his style. Huse recruits guys that fit him and respond to him. Sure he yells a lot--so what? These aren't fifth grade girls. For heavens sake, you have to scream at Bobby Howard just to get his attention. If I had a kid, I'd want him playing for Huse. You obviously don't know the man, his character, his love for the game and his players. I think if Huse didn't yell, then they'd panic. Don't kid yourselves--those guys know he has their best interests at heart. He is intense, but so be it. He's a good coach and given a few more years to put his program together, we'll be lucky if we can hang on to him.

Just out of curiosity have you actually spoken with any of the players about this? Do you really know what they think? I'm not here to put anyone down, but I do question when someone gets on and says he knows what the boys are thinking and that they respond best to verbal abuse. I mean do you know any players? And if you do are you confident they would reveal their feelings to you?

oldcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oldcatfan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:37 pm

I'm just thinking that comments that use such statements as "verbal abuse" have very little experience watching or being involved in many other D-I basketball programs. Don't kid YOURSELF thinking these guys didn't know what they were signing up for when they came in here. They came to play for him. They didn't come here thinking, "I hope he changes and quits yelling when I come here". They've all seen him in action, talked to his players and chances are, they probably got yelled at in high school a few times. Some of our fans are just way too sensitive, thinking about what it would feel like for them to be yelled at. I'm not going to say Huse shouldn't ever tone it down, but to call it verbal abuse and say the guys are getting their feelings hurt really implies they are a bunch of whimps. Maybe I'm too insensitive--who knows.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:34 pm

oldcatfan wrote:Holy crap Batman--

:goodpost: :thumbup:

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....