Cat/Griz Men's Game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cat/Griz Men's Game

Post by GrizinWashington » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:39 pm

What have we got? Indoor track?
I think that's been a push this year: MSU men won their dual; MSU women lost theirs. I believe they meet again next week.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:30 am

GrizinWashington wrote:
What have we got? Indoor track?
I think that's been a push this year: MSU men won their dual; MSU women lost theirs. I believe they meet again next week.
:roll:

Old Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Old Cat » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:09 am

I don't think we should give Huse much more time - he was totally no-class with that display with Brandon --Brad is the adult in charge and wasn't acting like one tonight - a young team needs a leader and Huse isn't it nor is he training one on the court.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:07 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
They've got the better of us at pretty much everything. What have we got? Indoor track? Rodeo? It's disgusting and shameful.
Just because you disregard these two sports doesn't mean that you should talk about them as such. If you were a true Bobcat fan you would support every athlete and every sport, no matter what they are.

You're the one that's disgraceful to this whole scheme of things with your negative, pansy-ass attitude.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:13 am

TIrwin24 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
They've got the better of us at pretty much everything. What have we got? Indoor track? Rodeo? It's disgusting and shameful.
Just because you disregard these two sports doesn't mean that you should talk about them as such. If you were a true Bobcat fan you would support every athlete and every sport, no matter what they are.

You're the one that's disgraceful to this whole scheme of things with your negative, pansy-ass attitude.
I didn't disregard those sports-I was pointing that we are down to one or two-if that. And how can you feel positive at this point? An indifferent fan could do that-a die-hard really cannnot.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:03 pm

Is it really that hard to hit a damn free throw?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm disappointed in the way the season has gone for both men's and women's teams. I expected both to be playing a a higher level. Heck the men's team had big road wins against Oregon State and Colorado but can't pull off a big game win at home. Didn't the men's team lose players who quit or went to other schools?

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:04 pm

I certainly didn't expect the Lady Cats to be 3-6 at this point in the season. And then you throw in that they beat PSU in Portland and gave Montana fits yesterday, it does make you wonder a little bit.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:27 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:I certainly didn't expect the Lady Cats to be 3-6 at this point in the season. And then you throw in that they beat PSU in Portland and gave Montana fits yesterday, it does make you wonder a little bit.
Dude, we're all stumped at this point. None of this is making any sense whatsoever.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:33 am

I attended. I try to attend one big basketball game at The Brick every seasion because it's a true pleasure to be there (regardless of whether the team I root for wins). Everyone in the place is highly knowledgeable about the game, and they don't make it easy on opposing teams and fans. Saturday's game was closer than the score. I know that's cliche, but it was true. I don't put any stock in the "sweep" smack. It was a tough game, period. Make no mistake -- Griz fans are viewing this one as a HUGE win. Keeping Finberg and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

4everacatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 4everacatfan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Why is it that we all like to point out the players mistakes but Coach Huse gets a pass from a lot of you?

(I posted this on the Bobby Knight thread but thought I would post it here as well) I had a front row seat with my 16 year old son and 13 year old daughter to the ESPN Coaches biggest meltdown of the year award:

Yeh Coach showed us his discipline at the end of the game when we are down 8 with five minutes to go and he takes an entire timeout to call Dvialdo a WIMP I was sitting in the West (closest to the Bobcat bench) Endzone and did hear the entire thing, then before we know it we are down 16 after that tirade. Then the way he disrespects Howard through out the entire second half the Kid is posting up and has Jack McGillis guarding him and he doesnt get the ball from Navarre or Bynum and he says something to Navarre about it and Huse yells several very loud and profanity filled statements at him (no wonder he takes the 30 ftr.) that is the only touch he gets from those two guards. But the classic came with a minute and one half left and I guess he did not like BJ's facial expression and he yanked him and put Howard back in (who he just pulled for the bad shot selection) and then proceeded to yell at the young man and when BJ sat down he did not come down once but twice more to scream at him some more. Pepoli it seemed from the endzone was trying to help BJ by getting him to move down the bench out of the line of fire. People in our area yelled, "Hey Brad how bout go back to coaching I think you made your point!" (Just curious why no one else has posted it, that all we were talking about at The Grantree Hotel Bar after the game.)

This display by Coach Huse did bring back Knightesque memories from his days at Indiana but what really happend Saturday was that #1 Coach Huse panicked and when he panics we go from being five guys who work very well out there to let one guy drive and go 1 on five. We do not need a Carlos type offense that is what got us down the stretch last year. What we do need is Navarre to sit and James Hennessy to play the point he is the only one that understands what a point guards job is.

#2 Huse Snapped - He will not do it and I do not know if they would accept it but he needs to apologize to his team for his behavior. His total disrespect for his players is inexcuseable at any level. He holds Hennessy and Peipoli to a much higher standard then Navarre and Bynum and maybe you can't treat them all the same but those two need to take a step back and learn it is not all about them out there!!

Couple extras

I have been asking all season why do we not go three big Dvialdo, BJ, Bobby and Rush can play the two and Hennessy. This would have been the perfect game to go with the bigger line up.

I must have been watching a different game but it did seem very similar to the last Griz game where our guards PANIC and decide they will drive every time.

I have been watching both the men and women pretty regularly for the last four years and it seems to me it is always aboutthis time of year when the coaches go in to panic mode and it does have an effect on their players.

DID WE PLAY BAD? YES.

DID WE LACK EFFORT? NO I THINK THESE GUYS TRIED AS HARD AS THEY COULD CONSIDERING THE TIRADE THAT WAS GOING ON ON THE SIDELINE. BUT THEN AGAIN HUSE DEFINETLY MUST HAVE HIS REASONS FOR HOLDING SOME MORE ACCOUNTABLE THEN OTHERS.

If anyone is to blame for this loss Mslacat it is Brad Huse.

JMHO

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:43 pm

4everacatfan wrote:Why is it that we all like to point out the players mistakes but Coach Huse gets a pass from a lot of you?

(I posted this on the Bobby Knight thread but thought I would post it here as well) I had a front row seat with my 16 year old son and 13 year old daughter to the ESPN Coaches biggest meltdown of the year award:

Yeh Coach showed us his discipline at the end of the game when we are down 8 with five minutes to go and he takes an entire timeout to call Dvialdo a WIMP I was sitting in the West (closest to the Bobcat bench) Endzone and did hear the entire thing, then before we know it we are down 16 after that tirade. Then the way he disrespects Howard through out the entire second half the Kid is posting up and has Jack McGillis guarding him and he doesnt get the ball from Navarre or Bynum and he says something to Navarre about it and Huse yells several very loud and profanity filled statements at him (no wonder he takes the 30 ftr.) that is the only touch he gets from those two guards. But the classic came with a minute and one half left and I guess he did not like BJ's facial expression and he yanked him and put Howard back in (who he just pulled for the bad shot selection) and then proceeded to yell at the young man and when BJ sat down he did not come down once but twice more to scream at him some more. Pepoli it seemed from the endzone was trying to help BJ by getting him to move down the bench out of the line of fire. People in our area yelled, "Hey Brad how bout go back to coaching I think you made your point!" (Just curious why no one else has posted it, that all we were talking about at The Grantree Hotel Bar after the game.)

This display by Coach Huse did bring back Knightesque memories from his days at Indiana but what really happend Saturday was that #1 Coach Huse panicked and when he panics we go from being five guys who work very well out there to let one guy drive and go 1 on five. We do not need a Carlos type offense that is what got us down the stretch last year. What we do need is Navarre to sit and James Hennessy to play the point he is the only one that understands what a point guards job is.

#2 Huse Snapped - He will not do it and I do not know if they would accept it but he needs to apologize to his team for his behavior. His total disrespect for his players is inexcuseable at any level. He holds Hennessy and Peipoli to a much higher standard then Navarre and Bynum and maybe you can't treat them all the same but those two need to take a step back and learn it is not all about them out there!!

Couple extras

I have been asking all season why do we not go three big Dvialdo, BJ, Bobby and Rush can play the two and Hennessy. This would have been the perfect game to go with the bigger line up.

I must have been watching a different game but it did seem very similar to the last Griz game where our guards PANIC and decide they will drive every time.

I have been watching both the men and women pretty regularly for the last four years and it seems to me it is always aboutthis time of year when the coaches go in to panic mode and it does have an effect on their players.

DID WE PLAY BAD? YES.

DID WE LACK EFFORT? NO I THINK THESE GUYS TRIED AS HARD AS THEY COULD CONSIDERING THE TIRADE THAT WAS GOING ON ON THE SIDELINE. BUT THEN AGAIN HUSE DEFINETLY MUST HAVE HIS REASONS FOR HOLDING SOME MORE ACCOUNTABLE THEN OTHERS.

JMHO
just so i understand, a coach is disrespecting his players when he yells at them? are we really in the day and age where coaches aren't allowed to scream at their players? someof you need to toughen up. i promise that mbungas feelings were not hurt because huse called him a wimp. and you know what...he was playing like a winp. for a stretch there he looked scared. players didn't play well, and for this particular game it looked like huse was outcoached. but this is a TEAM. when will people understand that losses are everyones to share blame, as everyone should enjoy knowing they had a part in wins. this weekend our TEAM, including our COACHES got smacked around a bit. but to put the blame squarely the coaches, or only on the players is just dumb. and to say that huse is too mean to his players is a little "soft" in my opinion. coaches scream. always have...always will1 :wink:

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

4everacatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 4everacatfan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:23 pm

whitetrashgriz wrote:
4everacatfan wrote:Why is it that we all like to point out the players mistakes but Coach Huse gets a pass from a lot of you?

Couple extras

DID WE PLAY BAD? YES.

JMHO
just so i understand, a coach is disrespecting his players when he yells at them? are we really in the day and age where coaches aren't allowed to scream at their players? someof you need to toughen up. i promise that mbungas feelings were not hurt because huse called him a wimp. and you know what...he was playing like a winp. for a stretch there he looked scared. players didn't play well, and for this particular game it looked like huse was outcoached. but this is a TEAM. when will people understand that losses are everyones to share blame, as everyone should enjoy knowing they had a part in wins. this weekend our TEAM, including our COACHES got smacked around a bit. but to put the blame squarely the coaches, or only on the players is just dumb. and to say that huse is too mean to his players is a little "soft" in my opinion. coaches scream. always have...always will1 :wink:
Okay I am not doing very well making my point today I am okay with yelling at players but do not exhaust the entire timeout to ream one guy. sub him out yell at him but right after that we went back out and got shalacked for 8 straight griz points. Huse lost it Saturday night and many want to blame the players fine blame them collectively but Huse and many of you know this team plays well when he is Mr. calm guy and when he panics and snaps they panic and force things. All I am saying is that Huse wasted a timeout at a critical time with something that could have been handled by subbing the guy out and not freak the rest of them out. If you look at the coaches that are successful they are not usually the screammers. And if you want to yell at a guy fine do it and let it go but to keep coming back on the bench and yelling again and again at a guy who was sitting out like BJ that is too much he should have made his point and coached the rest of the team that was on the court. Huse's tactics last season at this time and this season at this time do not work and not having a recognizeable offense to run is something that lies square on his shoulders.

BDizzle
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BDizzle » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:13 pm

A coach needs to learn how to coach his team. Some players respond well to yelling while others don't. Huse needs to realize which ones he can get in their face and scream all he wants to fire them up and which ones he needs to sit down and explain things. Players react to different types of motivation. Huse needs to realize that it looks like.

GO GRIZ!

A-Frame
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by A-Frame » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:07 pm

In coach Huse's defense. As a basketball coach is it very frustrating to see your team make so many silly mistakes. Not making bunnies at the rim- missing layups- turnovers- poor shot selection. There will be some times when all it seems you can do is yell to try and get it through to them. I coached 7th-8th grade basketball last fall and there were some times when i knew my guys weren't playing to their potential. And obviously I would not yell at them or get in their face. But sometimes you've got to try and light a fire under someones ass when nothing else has worked. The guys playing for the cats are grown men, and can take a little bit of screaming. And I would bet that any coach that seems calm and collected during the games will do some screaming during practice, so its not like they've never been yelled at. Any good coach knows how to motivate their players, and I believe Huse does.

GO CATS!