MBB- Cats at Southern Mississippi

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

DCC2MSU
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: MBB- Cats at Southern Mississippi

Post by DCC2MSU » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:18 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:
Billings_Griz wrote:
longhorn_22 wrote:Cats lose. 68-60.
Why we lost:
1. Turnovers
2. Refs
3. Free throws
C'mon 'horn, you're better than that. You had 6 fouls inside 5 minutes to go, 4 of those inside :40. Assuming you were fouling as you were still in the game...

Add 7 missed free-throws and 10 more TO's then them and I'd say these things contributed more to the loss than the refs.

You guys played a pretty good game in a very unfamiliar place.

FWIW, I don't let Griz fans blame a loss on refs either.
I don't care. As much as I rag on the refs, I usually don't blame them for a loss. Tonight is an exception. If you listened to or watched the game you would agree.
Were you able to watch the game? I thought it was only radio.

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:39 pm

refs don't lose games. never have....never will. mistakes, turnovers, lack of defense, and poor shooting loses games. on all levels. :idea:

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:39 pm

GOKATS wrote:
Billings_Griz wrote:
Why we lost:
1. Turnovers
2. Refs
3. Free throws
C'mon 'horn, you're better than that. You had 6 fouls inside 5 minutes to go, 4 of those inside :40. Assuming you were fouling as you were still in the game...

Add 7 missed free-throws and 10 more TO's then them and I'd say these things contributed more to the loss than the refs.

I'm waiting for final stats, but there is no doubt the Cats were homered by the refs. As I posted earlier the Cats had too many TO's and blew it at the FT line, but I think the FT opportunity's favored SM something like 25/10.
Go to ESPN.com, thats where I found them.

Until a team plays a perfect game (doesn't miss a shot, ZERO TO's) it's not the refs fault. Sorry.

To blame an official on a loss makes you look like a 6th grade kids mom at the local YMCA league. :roll:

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:27 pm

Billings_Griz wrote:
GOKATS wrote:
Billings_Griz wrote:
Why we lost:
1. Turnovers
2. Refs
3. Free throws

I'm waiting for final stats, but there is no doubt the Cats were homered by the refs. As I posted earlier the Cats had too many TO's and blew it at the FT line, but I think the FT opportunity's favored SM something like 25/10.
Go to ESPN.com, thats where I found them.

Until a team plays a perfect game (doesn't miss a shot, ZERO TO's) it's not the refs fault. Sorry.

To blame an official on a loss makes you look like a 6th grade kids mom at the local YMCA league. :roll:
If you'll read what I said at no time did I blame the refs for the loss, in fact I specifically said the Cats had too many TO's and sucked at the line. That doesn't change the fact that the Cats were homered by the refs, it happpens all the time and in the same situation griz fans would be saying the same thing.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:30 pm

I think BG was referring to Longhorn.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:52 pm

i think the amount of free throws a team shoots is a very over-rated stat when determining if a team got "homered". most times, the amount of free throws a team shoots has to do with their ability to drive to the basket, or the other teams inability to move on defense. i don't care if the free throws were 40-5 in favor of southern miss it definitely doesn't mean that the team was given an unfair advantage. probably means they were driving aggressively, and more than likely the cats were a step behind defensively as we've seen this season. on the other end, i think it's painfully obvious to see that we rely on outside shots rather than going to the basket. and we don't even make an attempt to get it in the post which also leads to free throw tries. i hate the ref excuse more than any other. sure they're fun to yell at during the games, but i have never been to a game where the refs decided the outcome rather than the teams.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

DCC2MSU

Post by DCC2MSU » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Why we lost:
1. Turnovers
2. Refs
3. Free throws
The free throw difference was 13-10 with under a minute left - and them up 5 at which point we had to foul. How is that a 'homer job'? The real difference appears to be turnovers and crappy FT shooting again.

catatonic1
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catatonic1 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:42 pm

For the ones that are always quick to jump on the refs and blame a loss on them when we lose.
Why don't you ever give them any credit on the ones they win for us? =D^

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:43 pm

catatonic1 wrote:For the ones that are always quick to jump on the refs and blame a loss on them when we lose.
I give them all the credit in the world when they do a good job.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:51 pm

DCC2MSU wrote:
Why we lost:
1. Turnovers
2. Refs
3. Free throws
The free throw difference was 13-10 with under a minute left - and them up 5 at which point we had to foul. How is that a 'homer job'? The real difference appears to be turnovers and crappy FT shooting again.
Are you referring to the intentional foul they called on us in that situation? When the hell was the last time that was called at the end of a game when a team is forced to foul? That's a homer job.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:40 pm

Griz got an intentional foul called against them just a few weeks ago inside the last minute when they had to foul. Frankly, I think it should be called more late in games.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:14 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:Griz got an intentional foul called against them just a few weeks ago inside the last minute when they had to foul. Frankly, I think it should be called more late in games.
I agree, but I rarely see it called. Players just get a pass when it's done 90% of the time. If they are going to call it, call it every time.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:24 pm

I think there are "legitimate" (for lack of a better word) fouls late in games that, while clearly intentional, at least are done in an attempt to make a true defensive play. The rule was put in partly to eliminate what was beginning to occur: teams behind were just literally grabbing and holding offensive players on in-bounds plays to prevent the clock from even starting. If the foul is committed intentionally but at least with an attempt to make a play, it shouldn't be called. But if it's not, the rule should be applied.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:25 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:
GrizinWashington wrote:Griz got an intentional foul called against them just a few weeks ago inside the last minute when they had to foul. Frankly, I think it should be called more late in games.
I agree, but I rarely see it called. Players just get a pass when it's done 90% of the time. If they are going to call it, call it every time.
C'mon, they're ticky-tack fouls where nobody is hurt used by everything from high school ball to the pros at the end of a close game. Of course they're 'intentional', but in mind they're not remotely related to what I consider an 'intentional foul' which is typically a cheap shot often putting a player at risk of injury. JMO

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:11 am

Q: Why did the chicken cross the basketball court? A: He heard the referee was blowing fowls.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:27 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:
catatonic1 wrote:For the ones that are always quick to jump on the refs and blame a loss on them when we lose.
I'm sure you do, but have you, or anyone else for that matter, ever said something like "Wow, our homer refs really won that game for us. We clearly deserved to lose, but the one-sided officiating in our favor gave us the W"? Shouldn't people be saying something like that once awhile, if they are going to blame the refs for some losses?

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:24 pm

John K wrote:
longhorn_22 wrote:
I'm sure you do, but have you, or anyone else for that matter, ever said something like "Wow, our homer refs really won that game for us. We clearly deserved to lose, but the one-sided officiating in our favor gave us the W"? Shouldn't people be saying something like that once awhile, if they are going to blame the refs for some losses?
I can't think of a time where it was that bad against the other team, either home or away. You can rag on me all you want for that but I honestly haven't. I've seen many, many terrible calls against the other team, don't get me wrong. I've even stated it many times to friends that the refs have handed calls to us. But the fact remains this is the only game where I've really stated it had an extreme impact on the outcome. Momentum plays a big roll and when you can't get anything going consistently in a game because of terrible calls, it doesn't work.

DCC2MSU

Post by DCC2MSU » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:24 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:
John K wrote:
longhorn_22 wrote:
I can't think of a time where it was that bad against the other team, either home or away. You can rag on me all you want for that but I honestly haven't. I've seen many, many terrible calls against the other team, don't get me wrong. I've even stated it many times to friends that the refs have handed calls to us. But the fact remains this is the only game where I've really stated it had an extreme impact on the outcome. Momentum plays a big roll and when you can't get anything going consistently in a game because of terrible calls, it doesn't work.
So you were able to watch the game?

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:48 pm

DCC2MSU wrote:
longhorn_22 wrote:
John K wrote:
longhorn_22 wrote:
So you were able to watch the game?
Yes, he was reffing it. :wink:

Billings Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Billings Cat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:30 am

whitetrashgriz wrote:refs don't lose games. never have....never will. mistakes, turnovers, lack of defense, and poor shooting loses games. on all levels. :idea:
That's one of the most Polly Anna-ish statements I've heard in a while. Pull your head out of the sand...most officials do as good of a job as they can and most games are decided by the players, but to say that officials NEVER have an impact on the outcome of a game implies that all officials are fair which isn't anymore absolute than saying all soldiers are patriotic, all physicians care about their patients, and all cops are honest. Most are, but not all, and sometimes officials have a definite impact on the outcomes of games that isn't unintentional.