WBB: NAU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

WBB: NAU

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:21 pm

I see where the Cats were beated by NAU, got outrebounded terribly and Jenny Herringer, a guard, was the leading rebounder. That is unacceptable if they are to win in the Big Sky. Our women are woefully under sized in both height and bulk!

2024 Resume dominance

bpcats
Member # Retired

Re: WBB: NAU

Post by bpcats » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:28 pm

From watching some of the games, it appears that the lady Cats are running into a run of bad luck. Versus UM the Cats actually played pretty good defense but the Lady Griz were hitting every shot imaginable. The biggest weakness I see on defense is when they collapse down on player in the paint but can't get out to contest the three point shot.

The Cats shooting has gotten worse each game and it is starting to build an accumualive affect on the girls play.

They have enough talent and size but everybody has gone cold shooting the ball. Look at the men's win against NAU, the only reason MSU won that game was that they were shooting 7-9 from the 3pt line in the first half to match NAU scoring. The Lady Cats haven't been able to do that.

I don't think it is size but the sheer athleticism that a few players in the Big Sky have that the Cats haven't been able to match.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:38 pm

bpcats wrote:From watching some of the games, it appears that the lady Cats are running into a run of bad luck. Versus UM the Cats actually played pretty good defense but the Lady Griz were hitting every shot imaginable. The biggest weakness I see on defense is when they collapse down on player in the paint but can't get out to contest the three point shot.

The Cats shooting has gotten worse each game and it is starting to build an accumualive affect on the girls play.

They have enough talent and size but everybody has gone cold shooting the ball. Look at the men's win against NAU, the only reason MSU won that game was that they were shooting 7-9 from the 3pt line in the first half to match NAU scoring. The Lady Cats haven't been able to do that.

I don't think it is size but the sheer athleticism that a few players in the Big Sky have that the Cats haven't been able to match.
Kind of curious. Before this weekend, have you ever watched a basketball game or is your experience limited to Montana high school games? Just asking.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:29 pm

I think we have the athleticism...we just don't have the size and strength. Look at some of the girls Nubia Garcia has to go up against in the paint. she is quicker sometimes, but a hip bump or two gets her out of position. I'm talking about rebounding and scoring inside...Perry drives real well to the bucket and sometimes we get someone to hit a few threes, but there is no consistent inside game, and I'm not talking about a post up game, just when we get the ball underneath with the offense. Our girls either have to shoot it fast (and more times than not, miss the bunny) or get it blocked. We are quick moving the ball, but then the shot is hurried and we seem to throw it up there without an idea about if it's going to go in or not. Herriger is about the only one who can create a shot for herself besides Perry, and the teams are finding out how to shut her down now. Notice that she hasn't been one of the high scorers for several games now. Early on she was POW in the big sky for her scoring.

2024 Resume dominance

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:05 pm

I will be the first to admit that I don't follow WBB all that closely, so I may be way off target with this comment. But didn't we return a pretty good core group of players from last year's team that finished runners up in the BSC? If that is accurate why weren't these weaknesses so problematic last season?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:02 pm

John K wrote:I will be the first to admit that I don't follow WBB all that closely, so I may be way off target with this comment. But didn't we return a pretty good core group of players from last year's team that finished runners up in the BSC? If that is accurate why weren't these weaknesses so problematic last season?
We lost two girls who could shoot threes and score inside

2024 Resume dominance