A fun read from 22 years ago ...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

A fun read from 22 years ago ...

Post by Griznationalist » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:56 pm

The year after the NCAA appearance against St. Johns, the Cats damn near beat the University of Washington in the NIT opener:

HUSKIES GUN DOWN BOBCATS IN OT
By Dan Raley P-I Reporter

THURSDAY, March 12, 1987
Section: Sports, Page: B1

In this land of pickup trucks, cowboy boots and shotgun racks, the University of Washington basketball team didn't back down.

And it was the little guys, not the big ones, who got in the best punches.

Knocked out in the opening round of the 50th annual NIT last night was Montana State, which took a 98-90 overtime defeat on the chin as Husky guards Greg Hill and Eldridge Recasner both scored career highs, hitting 26 and 18 points, respectively, before a sellout crowd of 7,848 at Breeden Fieldhouse.

The Huskies (19-14) now advance to the NIT's second round and meet an undetermined opponent, possibly at home, on Monday or Tuesday. The opposing team should be named by Saturday night. Montana State (21-8) finished the season by having its 17-game homecourt winning streak snapped.

"I really thought we showed a lot of character," said Husky Coach Andy Russo. "We really kept our poise when we had to."

It was billed as the Bobcats' biggest home game in 12 years, since a Mychal Thompson-led Minnesota team left here with an 83-75 win.

The Huskies gave the rowdy, standing-room-only crowd another eight-point disappointment when Chris Welp hit a baseline jumper with four seconds left in regulation play to tie the game 80-80, and Hill finished off the Bobcats in the extra session.

Hill, the game's leading scorer, provided the first five points of the overtime, and had 11 overall in the five-minute period. Nine seconds into it, he dropped in a three-pointer from the top of the key and, after a Montana State miss, he canned a 15-footer.

Recasner, who actually tied his personal best, was far too quick for the home team, which had neutralized the Huskies' size with a deadly outside game. The New Orleans native hit 7 of 11 shots, most coming on baseline drives, to keep his team close down the stretch.

"They weren't slow, they just didn't play good defense," explained Recasner. "They just wanted to outscore you."

Hill disagreed.

"They were pretty slow," the Los Angeles native said.

Montana State coach Stu Starner agreed with Hill.

"I thought we did a good job defensively inside, but perhaps not as good on the guards," said Starner. "They were a little quicker than us."

Welp still finished with 25 points and a game-high 12 rebounds, the Huskies enjoying a 41-29 edge on the boards. Teammate Phil Zevenbergen, a 6-10 forward, scored 15 points and had seven rebounds.

Kral Ferch, a 6-4 forward and the Bobcats' lone senior, finished with a team-high 25 points, guards Ray Willis and Shann Ferch had 19 and 18 points, respectively, while 6-8 forward Tom Damako added 14.
Damako, the Big Sky Player of the Year and scoring champ, hit only 6 of 18 shots and was held six points below his average. Zevenbergen was largely responsible.

"I just got up in his face a little closer than usual," said Zevenbergen.

Said Starner: "You have to hit those open shots, because against them you're not going to get second ones."
The Huskies were slow starters, trailing for the first 12 minutes of the contest and falling behind by as many as five at 26-21. The Bobcats had four three-pointers, two from Willis, by that point, hitting them from as far out as 25 feet.

"It was so unnatural to go out as far as they shot, it made it impossible for us," said Russo.

The Bobcats finally hit a dry spell, allowing Washington to grab its first lead at 27-26, but were back on top by intermission with a 40-39 edge.

The Huskies scored the first 12 points after the break for a 51-40 lead, with Zevenbergen and Welp scoring two baskets each, and led by as much as 59-47 before the Bobcats got hot again.

Shann Ferch's two free throws put Montana State on top 80-78 with 14 seconds left, but Welp calmly hit a turnaround jumper with time running out and Hill came up with his late heroics.

"I saw the whole season of blowing leads. It was 'Oh, no, not again,' " said Hill. "I didn't want to let it end that way."

He didn't.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Re: A fun read from 22 years ago ...

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:34 pm

I went to that game. It was loud and raucous. Lots of fun.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Griznationalist

Post by Griznationalist » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:52 pm

94VegasCat wrote:I went to that game. It was loud and raucous. Lots of fun.
Cool. Damako had a difficult game, it appears, which might have been the difference (not to pin it on him ... he was a stud).

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:52 pm

It was a great game, yep I was there.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

Ponycat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Ponycat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm

If I remember correct, (I was pretty young) this is were I first saw what I thought was going to be the best big man the big sky ever saw. Clamon Jacobs. Too bad knee problems never let him prove me correct. He would have been a stud if he knees woul have held up but he was an even better person.

The devil made me do it the first time... the second time I done it on my own.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:30 am

Ponycat wrote: Clamon Jacobs........................but he was an even better person.
I will 2nd that!

bfbobcat24
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bfbobcat24 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:32 am

Was a great game to watch. Have to agree with Pony about Clamon. Great guy and too bad he couldn't keep the knees working.

I SAID A BUD LIGHT

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:29 am

We all knew the team with the ball last in regulation would score. It was weird but there weren't too many happy people there when Shan went to the hole with 14 seconds left and got fouled. We all knew it was way too soon and that Washington would score. It WAS great that he could hit free throws though.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:32 pm

I some how convinced my parents to let my drive down from Helena with a high school buddy. We had a nose bleed seats but it was one of the most memorable games I have ever seen. To start the game MSU had a couple of back door slam dunks. UW had to call a time out to figure out how to set up the defense to stop it. The crowd was on its feet and never sat down. I had forgotten Ray Willis was on that team. The end was disappointing with the foul that allowed UW to take it to OT.

I hadn't thought about this game in a long while.

maroon
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by maroon » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:50 pm

My brother attended the game. He was a 22 year old student at UM at the time.
He said it was one of the best BB games he has ever attended.

Griznationalist

Post by Griznationalist » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:54 pm

If we could only see the film clip, we'd see short shorts on everyone, and every white guy's hair parted in the middle. Ah, those were the days.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:05 pm

March 12 1987. That was spring quarter of my freshman year. I was not sober before,during or after that game.I do remember the game was similar to a Cat/Griz game. The crowd was very loud and into every minute. I don't recall sitting down the entire game.

And in true 1987 style, I just want to say "Larry Frost you suck."

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Griznationalist

Post by Griznationalist » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:15 pm

Hawks86 wrote:March 12 1987. That was spring quarter of my freshman year. I was not sober before,during or after that game.I do remember the game was similar to a Cat/Griz game. The crowd was very loud and into every minute. I don't recall sitting down the entire game.

And in true 1987 style, I just want to say "Larry Frost you suck."
Oh god, Larry Frost. He was bad. His mouth looked like a space alien. The only way he was tolerable was if you'd already downed a cold-pack by the time the news (in Missoula) came on at 10 p.m.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by 94VegasCat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:07 am

oh wow, Larry Frost? He was the epitome of the HOMER sports announcer. That is funny thinking back on that guy. Anybody know where he is today? :lol:

Domako
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Domako » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:14 am

My most memorable thing about this game was when Kral got in Shann's face in the locker room for taking the shot with 14 seconds left.
BTW...I didn't play very well either.

Tom Domako

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:52 pm

94VegasCat wrote:oh wow, Larry Frost? He was the epitome of the HOMER sports announcer. That is funny thinking back on that guy. Anybody know where he is today? :lol:
Ahhh Larry Frost .. haven't heard that name in a while. One of the funniest thing I ever saw was when someone threw a crumpled up popcorn box/coke cup and hit Frost in head while he was announcing (think Cat/Griz heehhe). He had that who 'farted' look on his face :) And no, it wasn't me :) That also was my freshman year of college.

GFCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GFCatFan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:37 pm

22 years ago - wow, can't believe it's been that long. That game was a blast. Good to hear from Tommy - though no apology needed - you guys gave us a couple of great runs. UW (like St. John's) won the 5, but 1 thru 4 I'll take the Cat squad over any other team in Big Sky history.