more free throws....

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bleedinbluengold
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: more free throws....

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:02 pm

The dominant single-scorer on a team is/was an exception to the rule in basketball. Only the NBA runs that type of game these days. All successful college programs (those that win championships or go deep in the tournament) have a balanced offensive attack.

Stuckey, for all his ability, could not lead Eastern to the Big Dance. He fits in nicely at Detroit, because he's just part of the system.

The game is supposed to be played fluidly, with a team oriented and unselfish mentality. If the guys run the offense Brad designs, they all will score some. Some more than others, but in any case, everyone will score when they get open. In any given game, we will have an advantage at any one position or two, and the players need to recognize that and use it to their advantage.

Last year, we definitely relied on Taylor way too much, and we didn't get far.

As for free throws, I doubt there is that much to be corrected technique-wise at this point...To borrow a Yogi Berra-ism; 90% of the game is half mental.

Montana State IS what "they" think Montana is.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: more free throws....

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:46 pm

Helcat72 wrote:I don't think our problem is lack of practice or lack of coaching...it's lack of experience. We don't really have a senior or junior leader. I know Bobby Howard tries to be the one...but he has his own problems. We need someone like Casey Durham to settle everyone down. They are trying too hard. When they play non-conference games they are a lot calmer...they just play and the game flows for them. The other night against the Griz they were tighter than an 8-day clock. This is lack of leadership. Mbunga is the only senior and it's hard to be the floor leader from the center position. We need a guard like Navarre or Hennesy to step up and be the go to guy if not to score...at least the floor leader and leader in the huddles.
Notice the best FT shooter on the team (BJ) is a junior who has been at MSU for 4 years. That is not a coincidence. With Bobby it is absolutely all mental. Rush is starting to come around. Canned all 8 of his FT's tonight, 2 of them to effectively seal the game. This team is learning how to win, and the future looks very bright!

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: