Bobcat / Griz primer

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Bobcat / Griz primer

Post by mslacat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:43 pm

**************** MSLCAT RANT ALERT **********************

Its Cat / Griz week end. The women are up in the afternoon and the men in the evening. I can tell you that from the Griz faithful here in Missoula they are very confident about the lady Griz chances, for a win but extremely nervous about the men’s.

Here is a little primer to hopefully get some conversations going for the men’s game. I will try to do something similar for the women later.

National Rankings and Predictions

Ranks: School RPI,- Kenpom.com,- Sagarin

Montana State 121st, 172nd ,-156th
Montana 206th ,- 224th,- 213rd

Kenpom.com also predicts the Griz will win 69-68, but calls the game a toss-up.

My Take

Wild Card:
I have to start off with this because this is the biggest factor in the game. The Griz’s Elgin-Taylor is the biggest wild card in the game. I am told E-T was arrested for a DUI earlier this month which led to his suspension. There has been a lot of talk as to if he will be allowed back on the team, but the main factor in whether he will be allowed back has more to do with actually be grades. Most of my Griz friends are telling me he will not play Saturday, but a couple very well connected sources are telling me that the odds are he will. Every thing depends on news they get Friday. This is my opinion is he will play. Look by using the infamous “inter-session” the Griz got Camel and Chavez and Gus Chase eligible for conference, ET will be eligible. With ET eligible it really makes them better at two positions; point guard and shooting guard.

Point Guard
Both teams have had some turn over problem at times this season, but the Griz have been turn over machine since Elgin-Taylor was suspended. Johnson is adequate at the point gives the Griz more offence at the point but they gain turn overs. Navarre is similar to Johnson on both accounts but is simply more suited for the point guard role.
If Elgin Taylor is eligible edge Griz
If Elgin Taylor is not edge Bobcats

Shooting Guard
If ,Elgin Taylor is eligible that would allow the Griz to play Johnson primarily at the off guard. For the Griz, Johnson matches up much better against the Cat’s Bynum. Johnson is quick enough and can create his own shot off the dribble for three’s or taking it to the hole that he really could keep Bynum working on defense. Ryan Staudacher has started most games at the off guard for the Griz, and he is leading the nation in three point efficiency, but still an ideal match-up for Bynum. Bynum’s strength is his perimeter defense, and I also do not think that Staudacher will be able to defend Bynum defensively.
If Elgin Taylor is eligible edge Toss-up
If Elgin Taylor is not edge Bobcats

Small Forward
Which Erik Rush will show up? Which Jack McGillis will show up? Both are player that are capable of big games. Both players are almost clones of one another. Jacks a better perimeter shooter, Erik is a stronger interior player. Jack has been up and down all season with big games and little games. Eric has been consistent but not spectacular as predicted, but Erik has slowly been improving his offence the last few weeks. The edge, is I am going with Erik because he is one the best perimeter defense in the league.

Edge Bobcat

Power Forward
Jordan Hasquet has league MVP talent. But he wants to play on the perimeter, and Tinkle feels that is good. The griz are 8th in the league in rebounding. Hasquet’s scoring is down from 13.7 to 11.2 this year and rebounding down from 7.7 to 5.3 this year. Statically Bobby Howard has Hasquet beat across the board with 13.2 points and 6.2 rebounds. Both players are capable of having really big games, but both tend to play like Sophomores. This is tough to call, I fully expect Bobby to have a solid game, but Hasquet could really explode. The Bobcat side of me wants to call it for Howard but…..

Edge: Toss up

Center
Mbunga is one of the best centers in the league. Qvale has actually been fading this month, averaging 4.5 points and 2 rebounds over the last 5 games. Look for 6-7 Kyle Sharp to get major minutes, if not start against Mbunga. Sharp is a much better match up for the Griz with Mbunga that Qvale Mbunga though is clearly the better player than both. The Griz will have a lot more fouls to give than we will so home court advantage and fouls called on Mbunga will be huge.

Edge: Bobcats

Coaches

I would normally say this is a huge advantage for the Cats. I truly believe when it comes to X’s and O’s Huse is a much more proven coach than Tinkle. Tinkle though, know’s Huse very well and knows how to prepare for him which will minimize this somewhat still ….

Edge: Bobcats

Intangibles
Griz will have home court, and with that I fully expect the reefing to go their way. The Cats big men if they get in foul trouble could really spell trouble for us. The Griz are one of the worse rebounding teams in conference, and the Cat’s the best. The Cat’s will be a little quicker under the basket to get Offence rebounds. This Cat team is one of the best perimeter defending teams I have seen in Bozeman in a VERY long time. The Griz have not done well under pressure. The Cats are a little younger and inexperienced in Cat/Griz game, but they do have hearts.

Edge: Slight Griz

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcat / Griz primer

Post by GOKATS » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:58 pm

Good observation, but I'm going with the Cats. I think they continue to improve and gel as a team each and every game and Huse is a much better coach than Tinkle.

Go Cats!!!

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:07 pm

If Mbunga can avoid the ticky tack fouls early (like he didn't against Utah Valley) I think we have a good chance. When Mbunga is playing well our entire physical identity changes. We also need either Howard or Johnson to be hitting from the perimeter-if they're both off it will be a long game. I feel a lot better about our ability to defend their perimeter guys with Bynum, Rush, and Navarre than I did at the beginning of the season. Hennessey could also be a factor-he's been playing better and better as the season has gone on-especially offensively.

And freethows will be huge. If we make 80% we probably win. [-o< If we make 60% we lose. We're capable of both.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:19 pm

I checked the TV listings on Bresnan, and could not find the games. Are they being televised by the same stations as in years past, which is the same as the stations that carry UM football games? What time do they start?

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:32 pm

I'm rooting for the Griz but expecting the Cats to win.

I'm hoping to catch the rematch in Bozeman in person, because I like Worthington Arena better than Dahlberg Arena (even though I'm a speck of maroon in a sea of blue).

CATS2000
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CATS2000 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:47 pm

This seriously should be a great game. Looking forward to it !

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:55 pm

John K wrote:I checked the TV listings on Bresnan, and could not find the games. Are they being televised by the same stations as in years past, which is the same as the stations that carry UM football games? What time do they start?
Women at 2:00 and men at 7:00. I'd guess KPAX will televise which is CBS in Bozeman.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:36 pm

Two things: ET was also arrested recently for a domestic disturbance. In my opinion, he should be done being a collegiate athlete. If he plays on saturday, i'd be shocked. Appalled.

The game will be shown on the CW here in Missoula.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:20 pm

94VegasCat wrote:Two things: ET was also arrested recently for a domestic disturbance. In my opinion, he should be done being a collegiate athlete. If he plays on saturday, i'd be shocked. Appalled.

The game will be shown on the CW here in Missoula.
If he plays on Saturday he's going to enjoy listening to us when he checks into the game.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:02 pm

arrested recently for a domestic disturbance.
Source?

I see a DUI arrest and a coach concerned about ensuring that his grades are in order. I've seen nothing about a domestic disturbance.
The Griz, though, will be without senior point guard Ceylon Elgin-Taylor for a fourth straight game. Elgin-Taylor was arrested for DUI on Dec. 6 and placed on probation.

“He's not going to make the trip,” Tinkle said. “We've just got to make sure he handles his business academically. Grades will be out next week.”

Tinkle said Elgin-Taylor could be available on Jan. 3, when the Griz resume league play against Montana State in Missoula.

“That's what we're hoping for,” Tinkle said.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:48 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:
arrested recently for a domestic disturbance.
Source?

I see a DUI arrest and a coach concerned about ensuring that his grades are in order. I've seen nothing about a domestic disturbance.
The Griz, though, will be without senior point guard Ceylon Elgin-Taylor for a fourth straight game. Elgin-Taylor was arrested for DUI on Dec. 6 and placed on probation.

“He's not going to make the trip,” Tinkle said. “We've just got to make sure he handles his business academically. Grades will be out next week.”

Tinkle said Elgin-Taylor could be available on Jan. 3, when the Griz resume league play against Montana State in Missoula.

“That's what we're hoping for,” Tinkle said.
There was a blurb last night on KPAX, about a Domestic assault, but I have not been able to find any thing else on it since then.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:39 am

Cats win by 6.

bobcatmaniac
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatmaniac » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:25 am

This will be another season where we hear the griz say ..."well, I really don't pay much attention to basketball..." :roll:

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:03 am

bobcatmaniac wrote:This will be another season where we hear the griz say ..."well, I really don't pay much attention to basketball..." :roll:

Ummm......what?

Are you sure you pay any attention to basketball??

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:39 pm

I always pay attention to basketball. And I agree with bobcatmaniac. Do the Griz faithful care about MBB? In my opinion, not so much.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:53 pm

In my opinion, not so much.
Just curious, why do you think that?

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:09 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:
I think that there are allot of people that fallow Football that don't fallow basketball at both schools. I do, but have 6 friends that are griz and everyone of them says who cares about basketball. I know allot of Cats fans who don't pay attention to B-ball as well.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:08 pm

SACCAT wrote:
GrizinWashington wrote:
I think that there are allot of people that fallow Football that don't fallow basketball at both schools. I do, but have 6 friends that are griz and everyone of them says who cares about basketball. I know allot of Cats fans who don't pay attention to B-ball as well.
I dont

Its Wrestling season :D

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:35 pm

mslacat wrote:There was a blurb last night on KPAX, about a Domestic assault, but I have not been able to find any thing else on it since then.
That is what I was watching when I saw the blurb too. I heard on the news this morning that he was at practice and was going to play. Unbeleivable, but I guess our country says we are innocent until proven guilty. ????

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by 94VegasCat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:39 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:Source?
Do you and I need to settle our differences or what? Read my sig line jackweed! We played this once before and you were put in your place. [-X