I'm sick of listening to Lasky

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

I'm sick of listening to Lasky

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:19 pm

I really don't know why....but I can't stand to listen to Jeff Lasky broadcast our games. Maybe it's because he seems too impressed with the other team, or too generally neutral. It really seems as if he's an impartial fan enjoying a game between two teams, and he really doesn't care who wins except since MSU is the reason he's there...he speaks as if he's forced to let the Bobcat fans know when the Cats score...and that's about all!

2024 Resume dominance

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: I'm sick of listening to Lasky

Post by GOKATS » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:05 pm

I have to agree, I think all the Learfield announcers are cloned somewhere- then they just get sent to wherever Learfield needs an announcer. They all sound alike.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Old Skool Cat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 am

I definitely haven't fallen in love in Lasky's on-air performances yet, that's for sure. But it's only been a couple seasons so I think it may take a little more time. It took a while for me to latch on to Kris Attebury, but eventually I warmed up to his style. He was very complimentary to opposing teams and players, but you could still tell where his allegiances were. Of course, there will never be another Dean Alexander, and I sure wish we could bring him back. To me, Dean will always be the "Voice of the Bobcats."

TrueCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by TrueCat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:48 am

I really like listening to Tyler Willchen (spelling?). He does the women's games. He seems to be very well versed concerning the team and has a great delivery.

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:39 am

it's weird that we wouldn't like a guy because he is "too neutral". i actually look for that in a commentator. what's worse than the griz football announcers? nothing. i actually think it's embarrassing for your play-by-play guy to be a homer. and i think you lose credibility as a sports journalist if everyone who listens to you knows exactly who you want to win the game. all that being said, and i've said it before, i do hate how every 3 that goes up he gets all excited and you are positive it went in the basket...only to hear that it didn't. or plays with much contact that he always makes seem like a cat player took the charge...only to say later that it was a block! but i think he does a good job, and find it funny that the same things that we bash the griz commentators about is what we want our guy to be more about! :oops:

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:19 am

whitetrashgriz wrote:it's weird that we wouldn't like a guy because he is "too neutral". i actually look for that in a commentator. what's worse than the griz football announcers? nothing. i actually think it's embarrassing for your play-by-play guy to be a homer. and i think you lose credibility as a sports journalist if everyone who listens to you knows exactly who you want to win the game. all that being said, and i've said it before, i do hate how every 3 that goes up he gets all excited and you are positive it went in the basket...only to hear that it didn't. or plays with much contact that he always makes seem like a cat player took the charge...only to say later that it was a block! but i think he does a good job, and find it funny that the same things that we bash the griz commentators about is what we want our guy to be more about! :oops:
Good point....I agree completely. I would take a guy being "overly objective" versus those clowns Gurnsey and Holien any day of the week.

MashTun
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MashTun » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:52 pm

John K wrote:
whitetrashgriz wrote:it's weird that we wouldn't like a guy because he is "too neutral". i actually look for that in a commentator. what's worse than the griz football announcers? nothing. i actually think it's embarrassing for your play-by-play guy to be a homer. and i think you lose credibility as a sports journalist if everyone who listens to you knows exactly who you want to win the game. all that being said, and i've said it before, i do hate how every 3 that goes up he gets all excited and you are positive it went in the basket...only to hear that it didn't. or plays with much contact that he always makes seem like a cat player took the charge...only to say later that it was a block! but i think he does a good job, and find it funny that the same things that we bash the griz commentators about is what we want our guy to be more about! :oops:
Good point....I agree completely. I would take a guy being "overly objective" versus those clowns Gurnsey and Holien any day of the week.

Same with me. That God we don't have those jokers doing our games.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:32 pm

I like Lasky.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:50 pm

I wonder if you took a poll of Griz fans regarding Holien and Gurnsey....if you would get a negative result. My thought is that you would get an overwhelming positive. It's mostly Bobcat fans that hate them....just like the Griz themselves. Actually I wish we had a Bobcat announcer like them except for the really bad dissing the Bobcats.

2024 Resume dominance

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:37 pm

Helcat72 wrote:I wonder if you took a poll of Griz fans regarding Holien and Gurnsey....if you would get a negative result. My thought is that you would get an overwhelming positive. It's mostly Bobcat fans that hate them....just like the Griz themselves. Actually I wish we had a Bobcat announcer like them except for the really bad dissing the Bobcats.

I could not disagree more. I think Gurnsey and Holien (aka Frick and Frack) are completely unprofessional. And if most Griz fans really do like them....well, I think that confirms what most of us have always suspected about most Griz fans. I would be embarassed if our Bobcat announcers emulated those two morons.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:42 pm

There's a simple solution to all this. If you don't like listening to the announcer, then get off your butt and go to the freaking game!!! Then you don't have to listen to whoever. That might just make too much sense though. :wink:

CapitalCityCat
Member # Retired

Post by CapitalCityCat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:48 pm

Helcat72 wrote:I wonder if you took a poll of Griz fans regarding Holien and Gurnsey....if you would get a negative result. My thought is that you would get an overwhelming positive. It's mostly Bobcat fans that hate them....just like the Griz themselves. Actually I wish we had a Bobcat announcer like them except for the really bad dissing the Bobcats.
I don't think I'd like either even if I was a UM fan. I like announcers like Dean Alexander and Dave Niehaus who, in my opinion, are very fair to both sides, knowledgeable (without sounding condescending), and show just enough emotion in a call as to not overshadow the play they are calling (Alexander was the best at that). And sometimes it's simply a matter of catchphrases. I love Niehaus' grand slam calls but can't stand Holien's overused "good guys". If he used it sparingly, or would also use it when they were behind, then I might appreciate it.

I've only listened to Lasky during pregame and postgame, and during one game broadcast but thought he did a pretty good job. I don't know if he'll ever make a call that will give me goosebumps like Atteberry's call of Corey Smith's opening kickoff TD though.

Retiring my moniker. It's time to ride off into the sunset. It's been a fun ride. Go Cats.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:50 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:There's a simple solution to all this. If you don't like listening to the announcer, then get off your butt and go to the freaking game!!! Then you don't have to listen to whoever. That might just make too much sense though. :wink:
Well, actually, I probably shouldn't even comment on Lasky, because I never miss a home game, and I watch all of the road games on TV, except for Minnesota this year. I couldn't listen to that one on the radio either, because I had to go to a funeral that day. I just know that I hate blatant "homers" like Gurnsey and Holien, and if Laskey's biggest fault is being too objective, then I can live with that. I think the last game that I actually listened to on the radio was the Texas A & M game last year, and I remember thinking to myself that I thought our announcers did a great job....partially because they seemed to be very objective.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:54 pm

CapitalCityCat wrote:
I don't think I'd like either even if I was a UM fan. I like announcers like Dean Alexander and Dave Niehaus who, in my opinion, are very fair to both sides, knowledgeable (without sounding condescending), and show just enough emotion in a call as to not overshadow the play they are calling (Alexander was the best at that). And sometimes it's simply a matter of catchphrases. I love Niehaus' grand slam calls but can't stand Holien's overused "good guys". If he used it sparingly, or would also use it when they were behind, then I might appreciate it.

I've only listened to Lasky during pregame and postgame, and during one game broadcast but thought he did a pretty good job. I don't know if he'll ever make a call that will give me goosebumps like Atteberry's call of Corey Smith's opening kickoff TD though.
I hate "good guys"....like somehow the UM players are morally superior to their opponents, just because they wear maroon and silver. I know that other team's announcers say that as well, but I still don't like it. It doesn't mean that it's a good idea, just because other people also do it.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:14 pm

I guess I wasn't thinking football in this thread, like someone else postedI think I've only heard Lasky do one or two FB games. I do listen to the away MBB games and I'm not all that impressed. I think Atterbury did a good job, but I'm one more in the camp where Dean will always be the 'Voice of the Bobcats'.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

4everacatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 4everacatfan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:33 pm

GOKATS wrote:I guess I wasn't thinking football in this thread, like someone else postedI think I've only heard Lasky do one or two FB games. I do listen to the away MBB games and I'm not all that impressed. I think Atterbury did a good job, but I'm one more in the camp where Dean will always be the 'Voice of the Bobcats'.
I got tired of him fawning last night over Fullerton's guard who hit all the threes and in his post game comments ripping some of our players about turn overs but giving a pass to others. That is why the middle of the second half I tuned into the Cal State radio guys who were very good, excited forTHEIR team and not overly complementary to the Cats but recognized good play. But I did make the mistake of turning it back to his post game and after he was finished talking to Huse he began to give his own take and my conclusion is he has his definite favorites on our team and some of these other players must have seriously pissed him off somewhere on the trip. I would just like fair and balanced reporting and don't fall in love with the other teams star player on air!!

JMO

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:25 pm

4everacatfan wrote:
GOKATS wrote:I guess I wasn't thinking football in this thread, like someone else postedI think I've only heard Lasky do one or two FB games. I do listen to the away MBB games and I'm not all that impressed. I think Atterbury did a good job, but I'm one more in the camp where Dean will always be the 'Voice of the Bobcats'.
I got tired of him fawning last night over Fullerton's guard who hit all the threes and in his post game comments ripping some of our players about turn overs but giving a pass to others. That is why the middle of the second half I tuned into the Cal State radio guys who were very good, excited forTHEIR team and not overly complementary to the Cats but recognized good play. But I did make the mistake of turning it back to his post game and after he was finished talking to Huse he began to give his own take and my conclusion is he has his definite favorites on our team and some of these other players must have seriously pissed him off somewhere on the trip. I would just like fair and balanced reporting and don't fall in love with the other teams star player on air!!

JMO
Wow, do we have a psychic in the crowd? I turned off the radio before the postgame show, so I didn't hear his recap, but I didn't think he was fawning over Akognon. He got hot in the second half, and Lasky was like "Wow, this guy can't miss, even with a hand in his face - what can you do about that?", which is essentially what Coach Huse said, according to someone on the Game Thread. His Basketball PBP is much better than his Football, IMO. I don't mind his style, though his voice can get a bit irritating.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:55 am

I don't mind Lasky. I think he does a good job. Would like to see someone a little better at color during football season though. However, I don't get to hear him much during football season because I am either in Bozeman or watching the game on T.V. when it is an away game. Would prefer to listen to Lasky and watch the game on televison, but there is a delay making the T.V. coverage behind what you are hearing on the radio.

GO CATS!!!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:55 am

I've thought to myself, that the BB pbp could be a little different, but I'm sure glad we don't have to listen to those two d!psh!ts over in Missoula.
The FB pbp on the radio is far superior to those two yutz that do our tv games. Lasky and Davies usually provide more insight to what went on during the week of practice, during the game. The two FB TV guys can't even get the players names or any pertinent stats right.

I want Dean Alexander back.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:33 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:There's a simple solution to all this. If you don't like listening to the announcer, then get off your butt and go to the freaking game!!! Then you don't have to listen to whoever. That might just make too much sense though. :wink:
I probably go to more games than anyone out of town. I never miss a football,(home and most road games) basketball at home, and a few women's games. But when I have to listen to a road game Lasky makes me ill. Not that I like Hilien and Gurnsey...but at least they don't gop overboard when the other team makeds a good play like Lasky did the other night with the Fullerton guard. It just seems like he's a fan...but not our fan. Dean Alexander would would be a "homer" in a subtle sort of way...kind of "tongue in cheek" not blatant like Holien. What i can't stand about Holien is the fact that he and Gurnsey diss the opponent at times....like they get their training from Bobby Hauck!

2024 Resume dominance