MBB: Huse lands a seven footer

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

MBB: Huse lands a seven footer

Post by mslacat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:34 am

Now I did see this one coming:
Bobcats land 7-foot recruit

By PETE DELMOE Chronicle Sports Writer

Seven-foot, 260-pound Michel Swita committed to the Montana State men’s basketball team Tuesday night.

Swita, who is a freshman at Northern Idaho College, will officially sign with the Bobcats in the spring and be on the team for next season. Swita redshirted last season at Fort Scott Community College in Kansas, so he will be able to play at MSU for three seasons.

Eastern Washington, the University of Hawaii and Texas Christian University recruited Swita, but after a visit to Bozeman this fall, Swita chose the Bobcats. Swita, who is from Paris, France, said MSU showed more interest than the other schools, which was a factor in his decision.

“I very much enjoyed it there,” Swita said of Bozeman. “I have a good feeling about it.”

Swita has played sparingly this year for Northern Idaho because of a right knee bruise. NIC coach Jared Phay said every time Swita plays he aggravates the injury more, so he has been shutdown until after Christmas.

Swita, like a lot of European big men, isn’t just a threat in the paint.

“He’s very skilled for a big man,” Phay said. “He shoots the ball well. He’s got a nice midrange jump shot.”

Swita could use some improving on his low post game, Phay said.

“He needs to get a little bit better with his back to the basket,” Phay said. “Be more of a on the block scorer.”

Phay said Swita is also a solid defender, especially given his size.

“He’s not a highflying shot blocker,” Phay said. “He’ll block some shots, but he’s more of a physical presence and he’s always in the right position. He’s got a pretty good understanding of how to defend.”

Swita, 22, played soccer for most of his life and didn’t start playing basketball until he was 16. Phay said because of his late introduction to the game and his size, Swita has a very high upside. He could use a little more time in the weight room, according to Phay.

“He’s been lifting pretty hard for us, but I think weights are something new to him,” he said. “He’s got the body, he’s got the frame, so it’s not like he’s getting pushed around, but I think if he can get a little bit stronger he’d be more explosive.”

The Bobcats signed 6-foot-9, 225-pound Jeff Budinich out of Maple Valley, Wash., during the November signing period. Since Swita didn’t commit until after the November signing period he will have to wait until the spring.
Bozeman Chronicle

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ar ... ecruit.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: MBB: Huse lands a seven footer

Post by vike_king » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:50 am

Finally, someone I can look up to!!

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:07 pm

awesome news!

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Great news!!!! Sounds like he has a ton of upside to. Way to go Brad!!!

Trivia question (because i dont want to research lol) How tall is the tallest bobcat to play for us? I think i can only remember 6"11

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:23 pm

Greg Walters, the big Canadian, was on the Ferch-y team that went to the big dance and lost to St. John's (1986??? or so)

I'm pretty sure he was 7 foot, or listed at 7'1"

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:07 pm

JDoub wrote:Greg Walters, the big Canadian, was on the Ferch-y team that went to the big dance and lost to St. John's (1986??? or so)

I was thinking Walters at 7'. Great guy, just got tangeld up in those giant hoofers he had (biggest feet I think I've ever seen).

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:18 pm

I thought I might follow up with a little more info on both commits we received today.

Below is an article on Swita and his fellow European center at North Idaho College. I had heard about Swita I believe sometime in October but was sworn to absolute secrecy. [-X Swita was the only JC who I believe we had in for a visit and/or offered this fall. I know there was another JC from Texas who we recruited out of high school who we were looking at seriously in late summer but he decided to sign / commit with a home town college. Swita I am told played some pick-up ball with team, and very much impressed the coaches, and the players. He is one of three big men we offered this fall, including Jeff Budinich (who we signed)and, Connor Osborne (who signed with N. Colorado), and were hoping to get a commit/signing during the early signing period. Since this commit is non-binding I would go so far as to say I would bet the coaches had wished that it was not announced even and let him sit under the radar til this spring.

Swita had played only a handful of minutes so far this year struggling with a some nagging injuries. He is also playing behind 7-1 Guy-Marc Michel (see below) who has given a verbal to Gonzaga, if he does not turn pro. I have heard from a lot of sources that with Sprinkle gone the coaches are really shifting away from JC player, but what made Swita appealing though was his age (22 yo), and the fact he has three years of eligibility as a Bobcat. Statically right now Swita is not that impressive averaging 6 minutes, 2 points and 2 rebounds, but the coaches I hear really think they got steal here. We passed on quite a few players to wait for him. It will be interesting to see if he was worth it.

As far as Idol goes, I had never heard of him before today, so I am behind the curve hear. I have talked to a few folks today and the basic results have been, "You call yourself a fan Montana basketball and you do not know Colt Idol!". This is what I hear Colt is a very balanced and very athletic basketball player who had some options as to what sport to play in college. Very good perimeter shooter, can create his own shot and / or drive and dish. One source thought he compared very nicely to, Brown, Sprinkle, and Conway type guards in high school. - Now before you get all excited over the mentioning of Sprinkle, it is this fellows contention that Sprinkle did not really hit his stride until he hit college. . Again I do not much first hand about Idol but it should be interesting to watch him this winter.

Swita is on the left
Foreign Influence
Two athletes from overseas bring unprecedented height
Jake Donahue
Issue date: 12/8/08 Section: Sports

A set of towers looms in Christianson Gym high above most other players and nearly every fan who transcends the gym floor to their seats. Even those who stand on the second, sometimes the third, row, still must stretch skyward to see eye level with the two 7-foot imports: freshman center Guy-Marc Michel of Sainte Marie, Martinique, and sophomore center, Michel Swita from Paris, France.

Earlier this year, head coach Jared Phay said, "Every year you try to get the tallest guys you can. This year we actually got them."

With a combined height of 14-feet, 1-inch, Michel stands just barely above Swita, although his arm reaches nearly a full basketball's width closer to the backboard as they stand near the baseline. With his thick, French accent, Swita must interpret for Michel as the Martinique native stubbornly attempts to understand English.

"We both came for the same reason," Swita said. "We didn't know much about Coeur d'Alene or Idaho, but we had heard about NIC."

Swita actually transferred from Delaware Technical and Community College where he red shirted a year , and has only started playing basketball in the past few years.

"It has been five years," he said. "I started pretty late. I didn't like it much at the beginning because I could barely make a left-handed layup. But now it's much easier."

Michel, who humbly denies his status as one of the top prospects to come out of Europe, played for the Under-20 French National Team.

"I'll probably stay here for two years," he said through his interpreter, Swita. "I have no idea what made me leave Europe and come to play basketball here, but I knew one of the coaches."

Both would like to eventually play at a bigger school, but neither knows where, yet.

"I know I have the option to come back next year," Swita said. "That's something I will have to take under consideration. I am just happy to be here and get better."

Through the weekend, the team has remained undefeated, matching last year's 10-0 record to open the season

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:22 pm

GOKATS wrote:
JDoub wrote:Greg Walters, the big Canadian, was on the Ferch-y team that went to the big dance and lost to St. John's (1986??? or so)

I was thinking Walters at 7'. Great guy, just got tangeld up in those giant hoofers he had (biggest feet I think I've ever seen).
Greg Walters MSU's first 7-0 point guard #-o He used to love to bring the ball down court, but he looked soooooo goofy doing it the crowd would just sh-reek every time he did. Truth be told, for a big man he was actually was not a bad ball handler - granted not in Domako's class - but better than most, But he looked so damn goofy. Greg I believe started out at MSU listed at 6-10, but by his senior year he was listed at 7'-0". Nice guy!

Ponycat

Post by Ponycat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:38 pm

Wasn't there like three 6-11/7 footers on the 83 or 82 squad. Tryg, Walters and something like Phil Maher

The devil made me do it the first time... the second time I done it on my own.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Ponycat wrote:Wasn't there like three 6-11/7 footers on the 83 or 82 squad. Tryg, Walters and something like Phil Maher
Tryg was in the 6-10 to 6-11 range and Phil was 6-7. At times before Walter got hurt I believe in 83-84 Starner tried to play a twin towner line up with Walters and Johnson, but a foot injury to Walters forced him to redshirt. Starner never really tried that much after that. On the 80-81 team there a mammoth kid on the roster who was listed at 6-11 1/2", but he was very very slow of foot and I do ot remember him returning for the 81-82 year. Then of course there was Al Beye who was occasionally listed at 7-0. Those are the only seven (or close to 7) footers we have had since 1980. Anyone else remember anyone else.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:28 pm

I remember Phil Layher-I think he came a little after Hashley. Didn't he hit half-court shot to beat the griz in the Fieldhouse one year?

Going way back there was Bill Krieger?-he was about 6'11". This was in the days of Harry Heineken-just after Mick Durham was here as a player.

Just a few years ago we had a 6'11" kid-his name escapes me right now-he had back problems and missed a bunch of games because of that. He was here early in the Carson Durr-Nick Dissly era.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:47 pm

Phil layer was recruited/signed in 81. He was played one year with hashley and was labeled the "next Hashley" by Haroldson. While Phil was 6-7 and 240+ much like Hashley he simply was not as chiseled as Doug. Phils class was also labled- again by Haroldson- as possibly the best ever. It featured 6-10 Tryg Johnson (who high school coach got an assistants job also that year) as the project, 6-10 Greg Walters a scoring and rebounding machine from Canada (30+pts and 15+rbs), Jeff Epperly from Kalispell who was a Montana HS legend (UM actually where hinting that there was some misdeed involved in his recruitment), Craig Kilborn who was getting some serious Big ten recruiting attention. Tryg was the only one of the group who did not score 20 or more points a game, and may have had the best career of all of them.

Phil and Tryg were roommates, just down the hall from me my Sophomore year, and they used to watch NBA basketball in our room (we were the only guy's with cable TV in the dorms) and they were great guys. The thing most people did not realise is that Phil was one of the smartest people I ever met at MSU. I think I lost a small fortune to him in late night poker games.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:57 am

I just remember that St. John's game thinking "If the 3-point rule was in effect for the tourney, and IF the fumble-footed nice-guy Canuk Walters could make a $%$#^@ bunny shot (I think he missed about 8 shots he could have dunked), we WOULD have won that first-round game. woulda shoulda coulda.......... K. Ferch was just incredible on that stage, as was our little guard (Tony Hampton?). St. John's had one of the top picks in the draft that year, but we handled ourselves pretty well for our record that year (something like 17-12, 6th place in the Big Sky going into the BSC tourney to win it). That was a great Bobcat tournament team.

.... time now for me to find my bright pink polo shirt, white miami vice pants, tuck-in and roll up my pant legs like Shann Ferch used to do, put the Wumba Chumba record on the turner, and have a Cucamonga Cooler! :wink:

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:52 pm

I watched NIC play last week and Swita didn't play at all. I asked a kid I know who is at all the practices why he wasn't playing, are his injuries still nagging him or what? He told me that he is better physically but that he is lazy and has a rotten attitude in practice. NIC has a very good post player 7'1" Michel, so why play somebody who doesn't work for it. When Michel is not in the game they have one of their power fowards play post. So at this point he is basically the 3rd string post player. I hope that Huse can shape him up and that he can be valuable to the Cats but at this point, I am not optimistic. For those of you who don't know NIC (North Idaho College) is currently 15-0 and ranked 20th in the nation among Junior Colleges.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:54 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:I watched NIC play last week and Swita didn't play at all. I asked a kid I know who is at all the practices why he wasn't playing, are his injuries still nagging him or what? He told me that he is better physically but that he is lazy and has a rotten attitude in practice. NIC has a very good post player 7'1" Michel, so why play somebody who doesn't work for it. When Michel is not in the game they have one of their power fowards play post. So at this point he is basically the 3rd string post player. I hope that Huse can shape him up and that he can be valuable to the Cats but at this point, I am not optimistic. For those of you who don't know NIC (North Idaho College) is currently 15-0 and ranked 20th in the nation among Junior Colleges.
Oh.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:30 pm

Hurley hit the 3 to beat the griz at the buzzer. My sister and I were sitting right behind the Cat bench when it happened.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:28 am

Long Time Cat wrote:I watched NIC play last week and Swita didn't play at all. I asked a kid I know who is at all the practices why he wasn't playing, are his injuries still nagging him or what? He told me that he is better physically but that he is lazy and has a rotten attitude in practice. NIC has a very good post player 7'1" Michel, so why play somebody who doesn't work for it. When Michel is not in the game they have one of their power fowards play post. So at this point he is basically the 3rd string post player. I hope that Huse can shape him up and that he can be valuable to the Cats but at this point, I am not optimistic. For those of you who don't know NIC (North Idaho College) is currently 15-0 and ranked 20th in the nation among Junior Colleges.
Can he shoot free throws?

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DawsonPirate » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:38 am

Go to Northern Idaho's Athletic website.... NI shows 11 games of stats and this player has played in 10-11 games. Averaging about 13 minutes a game. Tell me at 7' and playing teams with 6'5" post players and against the Montana Western JV Team which NI won by 20. How does a 7'0" score only two points and 10-11 games played you only score 6 points? Folks this kid is either holding back or is a huge project of major proportions. I will go with my comments from his former coach at Ft. Scott ----- wasting time on this project. Read the stats 7'0" in a low range JUCO conference and not averaging 1.0 a game?

Cody Anderson has more upside on this one. I know Coach Burns of Ft. Scott --- This is a gentle giant who needs alot of work. In playing for Coach Burns you must be intense or as he has in the past run's players off. Biggest question for the last two years has been lack of physical/basketball development, due to injury/knee and foot problems. He has the height and you can't coach it but there is alot to work with.

Good luck.

syvie5
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by syvie5 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:48 pm

Mr. Pirate maybe that is a good reason you aren't recruiting
for the Cats! I'll trust the MSU coaches know a whole lot more
than we do and have spent just a wee bit more time analyzing
the player's capabilities and possible potential. JMO
Go Cats!

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:52 pm

Al Beye didn't have very good numbers before he came to MSU and look how his career turned out.