MBB: Huse lands a seven footer

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MBB: Huse lands a seven footer

Post by Long Time Cat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:57 pm

DawsonPirate wrote: Read the stats 7'0" in a low range JUCO conference and not averaging 1.0 a game?

Good luck.
I completely disagree with you that NIC is in a low range JUCO conference. Since you are good at looking things up you can see that NIC along with 3 other teams from their conference are ranked in the top 20.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DawsonPirate » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:48 pm

Longtime Cat,

Top 20 of what ---- Division 1 or 2?

NWCCAAC is weak compared to anything else in the West and does not even play in the national tourneys for either section.

Still 7'0" and scoring only six points in 10 games at any level sends a message of questionability of talent. We shall see......

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:55 pm

DawsonPirate wrote:Longtime Cat,

Top 20 of what ---- Division 1 or 2?

NWCCAAC is weak compared to anything else in the West and does not even play in the national tourneys for either section.

Still 7'0" and scoring only six points in 10 games at any level sends a message of questionability of talent. We shall see......
I have been biting my lip this whole thread, and then this afternoon I saw this post and have been scratching my about how to respond to this and the other comments and not lose it, but here I go.

First Dawson I am not going to challenge you basketball knowledge because we both know you are very knowledgeable, but lets face it we both know you have an agenda. So to your over all argument that Swita must suck because he comes from what you believe is a low tier JC school. So now are you saying because a kid chooses to play for a "low level JC" or he can not be any good! That's bull$*&% and we both know it. I would argue there are many cases when players may choose smaller programs simply because they feel it is a better fit for them. Some times it is because a kid wants to be a big fish in a small pond, some times it cn be the school is closer to home, or a whole myriad of reasons. You of all people should understand this.

Now the facts about North Idaho Junior College. Despite what you may think NIJC is not a member of NWCCAAC (the Washington / Oregon JC group of schools) it is a member of the NJCAA and the Scenic West Conference. They are a Div 1 team, the highest level of three.

Link:

http://www.scenicwestsports.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While historically, the Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas JC's are considered to be the top three JC conferences I don't think many would argue that the Scenic West is not far behind. As a matter of fact it is generally accepted that Southern Idaho of the Scenic West has been the THE top JC program in the country in the past 20 year. As of the just released today NJCAA Division 1 poll the Scenic West conference has three teams in the top 25.

Link:

http://www.njcaa.org/sports_polls.cfm?s ... gory=polls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The three schools are #15 Salt Lake CC (13-1), #16 North Idaho JC, and #18 Southern Idaho. None of the other 24 conferences have more than the Scenic West. My point is I do not think anyone could come even close to classify Scenic West in general or North Idaho specifically as a "low level JC"

About Swita.

If you were to argue that Swita was gamble for Huse, I would agree with you whole heartily. To dismiss him whole cloth is simply wishful thinking on your part. Swita is has been injured all season and after trying to play in a few early season games the coach put him in street close until he healed up. His stats mean nothing. Al Beye averaged 2 points 1.5 rebounds his sophomore year and was not that highly thought of. As a matter of fact a friend of mine who is a former Oklahoma JC coach and current runs a JC scouting service for D-1 coaches told me that Al Beye was at best another tall body the cats could bring in off the bench when their bigs get into foul trouble. Al Beye ended up being an all conference player for the Cats. You can also look at current player Divaldo Mbunga who did come from the NWCCAAC you mentioned above and while he had decent stats some question whether he was D-1 material. I could go on but my point is this, if I have to trust the judgement of someone you can bet most cat fans are going to trust the coaches judgement that from armchair QB's.

Like I said Swita is a gamble, i will not argue with you on that point. I will also admit to you as a bobcat fan I am most likely bias on this issue. Lets face it though your own bias's are also driving your opinion.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:37 pm

I know 2 things about basketball.

1. you can fit 4 wrestling mats in the average gym and it makes a better use of the space.
2. mslacat knows more about basketball than everyone else here put together.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:22 am

Thanks mslacat for the more detailed explanation of why NIC's conference is a tough one. Good work as usual :thumbup: . I didn't have the patience to explain it for DawsonPirate :crazy: , for some I might have but not him. He acts so smart I was sure he could figure that out for himself.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:05 pm

MSU=MakeStuffUp wrote:mslacat,

Have you heard an news on Dominique O'Connor? ESPN is showing that he is considering MSU (this might be that MSU and U of San Fran are the only teams to offer)

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiti ... eason=2009

Just wondering
Pure speculation on my part, but I'm thinking maybe Danny S. has something to do with this. :-k

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:03 am

MSU=MakeStuffUp wrote:mslacat,

Have you heard an news on Dominique O'Connor? ESPN is showing that he is considering MSU (this might be that MSU and U of San Fran are the only teams to offer)

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiti ... eason=2009

Just wondering
I believe we are indeed recruiting O'Connor, and I would guess Coach Starr is the assistant working with him. Right now I think our scholarships are all promised, but I have heard that we are still actively recruiting kids for the spring recruiting period, in case a scholarship does open up. As I have mentioned before typically each basketball program will have at least one underclassmen decide not to return for one reason or another, and coaches have to plan for it. From what I am hearing we are recruiting mainly high school point guards but also high school big men. The coaches #1 priority is to get a true young point guard in the system for the future, but they also feel they are thin at the power forward, and center so if a big man was to defect they feel they would have to replacement.

O"Connor is the type guard who could have an immediate impact on the program. He is talented enough to play next year, and he is the type of player who that could bring a speed factor that we do not have at the point right now.

BTW you will see him listed on the net at being any where from 5-8 to 5-11, I have a feeling he is closer to the 5-8 than 5-11.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:21 pm

Sounds like a Jeremiah Dominguez type

2024 Resume dominance

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:57 pm

BTW since we are talking about point guards here is another kid to keep an eye on.

Antonio Bigalow

Point guard
LeGrange (GA) Sound Doctrine Christian
AAU: L.A. Dream Team

Ht: 6-foot-0
Wt: 170 lbs
Class: 2009

A three star rated guy on Rivals
A pure point guard who is quick and explosive. Originally from California, but now playing in a prep school in Georgia. A lefty who penetrate and score or kick out. Played with Dominique O’Connor (see above) on the Branch West Orange AAU team this year.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;