Preseason Polls - Men 4th/4th, Women 3rd/4th

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Preseason Polls - Men 4th/4th, Women 3rd/4th

Post by MSU01 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:49 pm

http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2017/10/ ... ath=mbball

http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2017/10/ ... ath=wbball

It's a little surprising to me that the men are picked as high as 4th...they have the talent to be right up there but not the recent track record of consistent performance needed to get up this high. Interesting to see the women picked below Montana by the coaches - I assume the voting was done before Kayleigh Valley's season-ending injury and would change now. The women's roster looks quite young with 3 eligible seniors and no juniors other than one of the two Seton Hall transfers who will be sitting out this year.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Preseason Polls - Men 4th/4th, Women 3rd/4th

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:43 am

I think on the men's side, 4th is not too high for us. You're spot on, though, with the fact that we don't have the track record to put behind that prediction. I really think we can challenge for the very top of the league, if a couple things happen for us. One, look at the guards on the teams ahead of us (Sanders Oguine Rorie specifically). We have to improve our on-ball defense against them, specifically Tyler. I think our depth helps that, as he may only have to play 28-32 minutes. He had to rest on defense last year, especially late. Second, we must find a consistent third scoring option. I have trouble seeing Zach Green being more than kind of the 4th contributor with the occasional double-digit output. So from Konnor Frey, Blevins, Bonton, and perhaps Mvuezolo, we need a guy who can get us 9-12 ppg consistently. If those things happen, I think our star guards and defensive/rebounding depth will put us right in the conversation at the end of February.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Men
I have not problem with the men in the 4th or so spot, if they want a higher projected finish Fish and company need need to go out and prove it. I personally feel that we should finish better than that and will be a little disappointed if we don't (barring any major injuries). I think this is a big year for Fish he has built this team completely. He has jettisoned players he did not think fit his system, he has a potential NBA player (I said potential) He has a 6 or maybe more player that could score 20 on any given night and he has players committed to playing his style of of (fouling) defense and his bench could go 12-13 deep.

Women
The last 3 years the coaches and media have picked Binford's team to finish 4 or worse and every year they have been in the championship mix by the end of the year (winning 2). We lost a couple great players last year, but Binford has been recruiting strong enough the last 3 years she will just replace them. last year we were centered around our two all conference interior players, this year we are going to be DEEP in guards. I would not switch guard line up with any body in the league. One position you need if you want a chance to win the Big Sky conference, you need a dynamic point guard. A guard who not only can take care of the ball but is a threat score a ton of points. We have Cuadill is one of the best point guards in the league, and Squires can also fill that role. At the shooting guard Junkermier had some big games for us last year and is a tough player for smaller SG to guard, the should provide leadership. The now sophomore class could be one of the strongest (albeit small) recruiting classes ever for Binford. Guard Squires, PF Braxton, and PF Smith all have all conference talent. Bring in this years recruiting class guards Martell and Van Sickle will make an immediate impact and so can their most highly recruited freshman PF Pranger if she is full recovered from the injuries that dogged her her senior year. In my opinion Binford has the Bobcats program in the same shape as Selvig had the Griz 15 years ago, in that player (sometimes MVP) leave and new players step up and take the slack. Binford does not have to rebuild but simply re-tool. So yea I have a problem with #4ish. Again though after this year maybe the coaches and media will get it right. Binfords Bobcats teams the last 3-4 year has always out preformed the preseason prognostications!

BTW I always prefer to be under rated in the pre-season and prove people wrong post season!

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:54 pm

MSU01 wrote:http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2017/10/ ... ath=mbball

http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2017/10/ ... ath=wbball

It's a little surprising to me that the men are picked as high as 4th...they have the talent to be right up there but not the recent track record of consistent performance needed to get up this high. Interesting to see the women picked below Montana by the coaches - I assume the voting was done before Kayleigh Valley's season-ending injury and would change now. The women's roster looks quite young with 3 eligible seniors and no juniors other than one of the two Seton Hall transfers who will be sitting out this year.
Mick Durham may also end up as the winningest coach in Alaska Fairbanks history where he is credited with one of the biggest turnarounds in NCAA II history.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:14 am

The Men need to go out and win some tournament games to get some respect. The Women are ranked too low. They won the conference last year, and now they're ranked #4 in the conference? That's some disrespect. Haters gonna hate, I guess.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers