Spring Basketball recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:27 am

hokeyfine wrote:http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... ncart_2box
any thoughs mslacat? would he entertain coming here?
Read the 3 posts above yours.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 am

In about Late February or early March I got an PM Twitter message from Bigby-Williams and he asked me NEVER to mention again that he had or was a commit to Montana State as he had no intention of signing with us now that his recruitment was blowing up. He went on to explain that those type of tweets were only confusing potential school schools who wanted to recruit him. He also said MSU was always his back-up plan. Colter/Skyline sports interviewed him just a short time later and he told Colter that he never like MSU or Bozeman he only committed there/he becuase of his limited options coming out of high school and now that he had option there is no way he would ever sign with MSU (this is para-phrasing because I am too lazy to go back and look up the article). The deal was done.

Bigby, 12 months ago, was one of those kids who wanted to go to the biggest school possible for his ego and so he could tell all of his friends. We wll as many kids have found being in the spot light has its problems He came in as Oregon's 2nd JC Player of the year over the past 2 years. The 1st was Chris Boucher the previous year who had an immediate impact on the program starting at center and being named to the All Pac-12 team as a junior. The people at Oregon were expecting the same out of Bigby. Oregon was loaded at the 4 and 5 spot this year and as you can see from his stat line did not get much playing time. Even when Boucher was lost for the season and every one proclaimed it was time for Bigby to step up, the coaches never really gave him the opportunity. The fans were worce. All the message boards and twitter type outlet were calling him a bust, should have signed with Montana State ect. expectations were high and they did not feel he delivered.

I tell this story to explain how I feel. If Bigby is still in the same mindset as last year he will not be happy here, nor do I think he will even give MSU a look. If he has changed his mind and would like to go to a school where he could be a big fish in a small pond and he could be happy with that, I would entertain the idea. If I were a mentor or adviser who he trusted and was truly looking out for his best interest I would tell him to contact MSU. You know the coaches, they like you and you like them you could dominate at the Big Sky level go out your senior year with a bang. Bigby and Tyler Hall wow! Now as Bob Robinson looking at my Bobcats that I know and love, I worry whether Bigby will fit in. I have said it before Fish does not do well with one and done transfers, maybe sitting out a year will help thought. Does Bigby have the maturity to really be coached hard? Will he be happy here? I have mixed feeling, but if he did sign we really would not be out a lot. We do not NEED him for next year nor the following. This team is mature enough I don't think he can hurt team chemistry, so why not.

I can tell you this. I have heard from a couple sources that Fish and his coaches are taking this transfer possibility real seriously and will at least throw their hat in the ring to see if there is any interest. Enough so they may have put a few other recruiting possibilities on a temporarily hold.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:27 am

91catAlum wrote:
hokeyfine wrote:http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... ncart_2box
any thoughs mslacat? would he entertain coming here?
Read the 3 posts above yours.
Thanks

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm

mslacat wrote:In about Late February or early March I got an PM Twitter message from Bigby-Williams and he asked me NEVER to mention again that he had or was a commit to Montana State as he had no intention of signing with us now that his recruitment was blowing up. He went on to explain that those type of tweets were only confusing potential school schools who wanted to recruit him. He also said MSU was always his back-up plan. Colter/Skyline sports interviewed him just a short time later and he told Colter that he never like MSU or Bozeman he only committed there/he becuase of his limited options coming out of high school and now that he had option there is no way he would ever sign with MSU (this is para-phrasing because I am too lazy to go back and look up the article). The deal was done.

Bigby, 12 months ago, was one of those kids who wanted to go to the biggest school possible for his ego and so he could tell all of his friends. We wll as many kids have found being in the spot light has its problems He came in as Oregon's 2nd JC Player of the year over the past 2 years. The 1st was Chris Boucher the previous year who had an immediate impact on the program starting at center and being named to the All Pac-12 team as a junior. The people at Oregon were expecting the same out of Bigby. Oregon was loaded at the 4 and 5 spot this year and as you can see from his stat line did not get much playing time. Even when Boucher was lost for the season and every one proclaimed it was time for Bigby to step up, the coaches never really gave him the opportunity. The fans were worce. All the message boards and twitter type outlet were calling him a bust, should have signed with Montana State ect. expectations were high and they did not feel he delivered.

I tell this story to explain how I feel. If Bigby is still in the same mindset as last year he will not be happy here, nor do I think he will even give MSU a look. If he has changed his mind and would like to go to a school where he could be a big fish in a small pond and he could be happy with that, I would entertain the idea. If I were a mentor or adviser who he trusted and was truly looking out for his best interest I would tell him to contact MSU. You know the coaches, they like you and you like them you could dominate at the Big Sky level go out your senior year with a bang. Bigby and Tyler Hall wow! Now as Bob Robinson looking at my Bobcats that I know and love, I worry whether Bigby will fit in. I have said it before Fish does not do well with one and done transfers, maybe sitting out a year will help thought. Does Bigby have the maturity to really be coached hard? Will he be happy here? I have mixed feeling, but if he did sign we really would not be out a lot. We do not NEED him for next year nor the following. This team is mature enough I don't think he can hurt team chemistry, so why not.

I can tell you this. I have heard from a couple sources that Fish and his coaches are taking this transfer possibility real seriously and will at least throw their hat in the ring to see if there is any interest. Enough so they may have put a few other recruiting possibilities on a temporarily hold.
The Oregon coaches gave him plenty of opportunity. He was a bust and never really got along with the team. Talent wise I wouldn't say no to him. But from the people I talk to here in Eugene, I don't think I'd like him in the locker room.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:37 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
mslacat wrote:In about Late February or early March I got an PM Twitter message from Bigby-Williams and he asked me NEVER to mention again that he had or was a commit to Montana State as he had no intention of signing with us now that his recruitment was blowing up. He went on to explain that those type of tweets were only confusing potential school schools who wanted to recruit him. He also said MSU was always his back-up plan. Colter/Skyline sports interviewed him just a short time later and he told Colter that he never like MSU or Bozeman he only committed there/he becuase of his limited options coming out of high school and now that he had option there is no way he would ever sign with MSU (this is para-phrasing because I am too lazy to go back and look up the article). The deal was done.

The Oregon coaches gave him plenty of opportunity. He was a bust and never really got along with the team. Talent wise I wouldn't say no to him. But from the people I talk to here in Eugene, I don't think I'd like him in the locker room.

Although the idea of having a guy like him is appealing for basketball reasons. not sure it for me is so appealing if he has the attitude he does about Bozeman and Montana State. And i would think we wouldn't even be in his consideration because he was so against coming here when he supposedly got all these big offers from other schools. Yet, why is Oregon not good enough for him? I don't know that I would want to bring a guy in that has that kind of cocky, all about me attitude. I say that because the team we have now seems to be playing a lot better as a team, they get along on and off the court and it shows. Last thing we need is a player in the locker room that will cause issues. He was great JC player, but maybe not getting the playing time at Oregon he wanted, but he is supposed to be a star. Well we have a star, Tyler, and i would say i would so much prefer Tyler's attitude over Bigby-WIlliams. Tyler has been all about the team, all about helping the team get better, he is humble and not all about himself, which he could easily be. I think as great as Bigby would be basketball wise he isn't worth it for other reasons. I say we move onto other recruit options.

Grandmaster Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Grandmaster Cat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:02 pm

It's definitely an intriguing possibility. I don't know the odds of Bigby-Williams coming to MSU are, but maybe he really has been humbled by his time at Oregon. And basketball-wise, when was the last time the 'Cats had a dominant big man? Maybe Mbunga or Al Beye? There has been a lackluster turnstile of inside players in recent years, due to injuries, busts and bad luck. Playing a 6'6" small forward at center this past year showed how thin we are inside.

I can see why the coaches are at least open to it, and I can also see why many fans would rather pass after Bigby-Williams' previous comments. Maybe it's an imperfect metaphor, but kind of reminds me of when the girl you're dating leaves you for another guy, then wants to come back after she realizes it wasn't a good match...

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Bigby Transfer?
Would be a game changer for our offense if he plays as good as he showed in JC. If we don't size up we are going to be an above average, but not dominant team in the big sky. I don't know if you have seen the Griz just picked up a 7' center with some weight (note they have another coming in as well) and also just got a high school kid to walk on that averaged a double double and is 6'8". When was the last time we got a 6'8" kid to walk on for the cats. Big picture people. I think maybe he swallows his pride and we back down a little and see. I am sure Fish knows first hand the nature of this kids mind set from his friends at Oregon. Plus if the kid is smart he will see he could get the chance to play with a great set of players. We are setting up to have a great team for the next couple years depending on how long Tyler decides to give us presence. I would welcome his presence to the court and would love to see that for Tylers final year where he destroys all the records as the best Cat on the court ever. Just saying.
"

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:22 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:Bigby Transfer?
Would be a game changer for our offense if he plays as good as he showed in JC. If we don't size up we are going to be an above average, but not dominant team in the big sky. I don't know if you have seen the Griz just picked up a 7' center with some weight (note they have another coming in as well) and also just got a high school kid to walk on that averaged a double double and is 6'8". When was the last time we got a 6'8" kid to walk on for the cats. Big picture people. I think maybe he swallows his pride and we back down a little and see. I am sure Fish knows first hand the nature of this kids mind set from his friends at Oregon. Plus if the kid is smart he will see he could get the chance to play with a great set of players. We are setting up to have a great team for the next couple years depending on how long Tyler decides to give us presence. I would welcome his presence to the court and would love to see that for Tylers final year where he destroys all the records as the best Cat on the court ever. Just saying.
"
I wouldn't get my hopes up. But hey, stranger things have happened.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Fish, Bobcats host another international recruit
http://skylinesportsmt.com/fish-hosts-international-pg/

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon May 01, 2017 10:34 am

Parker Gabriel reported earlier today that 6-1 pg Lassi Nikkarinen has committed to the Bobcats and will be singing his LOI later today. Nikkarinen avg 16 points, 4.4 assists and 2.4 steals in nearly 31 minutes per game last year for HBA-Marsky Helsinki in Finland. Nikkarinen's team back court team mate this year 6-2 guard Edon Maxhuni just committed to Long Beach State about a week ago and averaged 22pts and 2 assists for HBA-Marsky Helsinki. Nikkarinen comes from a basketball family his dad is a very well known in Finland, his older brother is a pro player in Finland. Aside from his measurable stats he has the reputation having a very high basketball IQ and a very good, physical defender, (more so than most incoming freshman). He is also a little older than most Freshman as he just turned 20 last month. Should provide solid back-up to Harald Frey next year.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon May 01, 2017 11:36 am

mslacat wrote:Parker Gabriel reported earlier today that 6-1 pg Lassi Nikkarinen has committed to the Bobcats and will be singing his LOI later today. Nikkarinen avg 16 points, 4.4 assists and 2.4 steals in nearly 31 minutes per game last year for HBA-Marsky Helsinki in Finland. Nikkarinen's team back court team mate this year 6-2 guard Edon Maxhuni just committed to Long Beach State about a week ago and averaged 22pts and 2 assists for HBA-Marsky Helsinki. Nikkarinen comes from a basketball family his dad is a very well known in Finland, his older brother is a pro player in Finland. Aside from his measurable stats he has the reputation having a very high basketball IQ and a very good, physical defender, (more so than most incoming freshman). He is also a little older than most Freshman as he just turned 20 last month. Should provide solid back-up to Harald Frey next year.
I was REALLY hoping we would target a big with this last scholarship and it sounded like we did and missed on a few (including the Griz newly signed international big man). I don't know the roster nearly as in-depth as you, but doesn't it seem like we are STACKED in the backcourt and still rather shallow in the frontcourt?

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon May 01, 2017 12:11 pm

Yeah, I don't get it.....

Sam Newman is a small forward at best, and he is our starting center. It's almost laughable. (He does a very admirable job though).

Does fish not recruit big guys on purpose? Or has there just been a lot of bad luck in this department?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon May 01, 2017 1:13 pm

mslacatfan wrote:Yeah, I don't get it.....

Sam Newman is a small forward at best, and he is our starting center. It's almost laughable. (He does a very admirable job though).

Does fish not recruit big guys on purpose? Or has there just been a lot of bad luck in this department?
Fish recruits talent more than 6-10 245 lb centers. If he can have 4 guards and a forward on the floor at the same time, that is fine he is just figuring come Big Sky play his 4 guards and 1 forward will have more talent than the other team with a slow 6-10 240 guy on the court. Eventually if Kirby and Schultz work out he will have the natural Big Guys on the team but until then he is getting the best talent available and developing size. Next year our so called big Guys are going to be Kirby (6-10), Schultz (6-10), Osayande (6-9), Neumann (6-7), K Frey (6-6) and Blevins(6-6) and I am betting either one or both Kirby and/or Schultz will be red shirted. BTW K Frey and Blevins will also play some at small forward. I think any big man they were able to get at this late date would also be red-shirt possibility unless they could have landed a graduate transfer big man, but that would have been tough.

Now I am just telling you what I think is Fish's recruiting philosophy, I am not telling you I agree with it 100% nor that Fish may argue otherwise. I have said it before, the style of defense Fish plays and having smaller guys guarding bigger guys lead to foul trouble for our Players playing inside (notice I stayed away from the word Bigs) But next year we will have a lot more players to give fouls than we did this year. WE essentially lose only on player from our rotation, Everette. While Everette was a very important do it all player, next year we are adding Freshman Guards Bonton, and Nikkarinen plus transfer forwards K. Frey and Blevins all 4 of should be able to play major minutes, contribute and possibly start for the team next year. We should be able to go 10-11 deep next year which could minimize the impact of our foul fest interior. Now that said spotting the other team 10-15 extra free throw attempts a game is a whole other issue.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon May 01, 2017 1:13 pm

Fish recruits talent more than 6-10 245 lb centers. If he can have 4 guards and a forward on the floor at the same time, that is fine he is just figuring come Big Sky play his 4 guards and 1 forward will have more talent than the other team with a slow 6-10 240 guy on the court. Eventually if Kirby and Schultz work out he will have the natural Big Guys on the team but until then he is getting the best talent available and developing size. Next year our so called big Guys are going to be Kirby (6-10), Schultz (6-10), Osayande (6-9), Neumann (6-7), K Frey (6-6) and Blevins(6-6) and I am betting either one or both Kirby and/or Schultz will be red shirted. BTW K Frey and Blevins will also play some at small forward. I think any big man they were able to get at this late date would also be red-shirt possibility unless they could have landed a graduate transfer big man, but that would have been tough.

Now I am just telling you what I think is Fish's recruiting philosophy, I am not telling you I agree with it 100% nor that Fish may argue otherwise. I have said it before, the style of defense Fish plays and having smaller guys guarding bigger guys lead to foul trouble for our Players playing inside (notice I stayed away from the word Bigs) But next year we will have a lot more players to give fouls than we did this year. WE essentially lose only on player from our rotation, Everette. While Everette was a very important do it all player, next year we are adding Freshman Guards Bonton, and Nikkarinen plus transfer forwards K. Frey and Blevins all 4 of should be able to play major minutes, contribute and possibly start for the team next year. We should be able to go 10-11 deep next year which could minimize the impact of our foul fest interior. Now that said spotting the other team 10-15 extra free throw attempts a game is a whole other issue.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Before this signing. We really didn't have a 2nd true PG.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon May 01, 2017 1:30 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Before this signing. We really didn't have a 2nd true PG.
Bonton would argue otherwise, but it does shore the spot and allows us to play H.Frey at shooting guard if we want.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:37 pm

mslacat wrote:
Bonton would argue otherwise, but it does shore the spot and allows us to play H.Frey at shooting guard if we want.
I thought he was more of a shooting guard. My bad. We now have 3 guys that can play PG instead of just one.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon May 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
mslacat wrote:
I thought he was more of a shooting guard. My bad. We now have 3 guys that can play PG instead of just one.

Sorry I was being a little bit of a smart ass. I think Fish is looking at him more as a shooting guard, but Bonton has played the point almost his entire career and I think that is how he views himself. In any case we are going to have a deep talented group of guards and small forwards there are 4-5 guys on the team that could score 20-30 point in any game if try to box and 1 Tyler. PLus now with K. Frey, Blevin and Neuman down low this coiuld be a tough club to defend

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon May 01, 2017 2:17 pm

mslacat wrote:

Thank you for your insight, appreciate it! I keep forgetting about Frey, even though he is 6'6" he seems to play MUCH bigger. Averaged 7.1 rebounds a game his JR year at Utah Valley State.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon May 01, 2017 5:51 pm

Tyler Hall shouldn't have to play any point guard next season-and that's a good a thing. A point guard he is not. This roster isn't big, but they will be deep at every position. Perimeter defense is where it's at in the Big Sky. Everybody's loaded with guards. Stop the guards and take your chances against the few quality big men in the league. We will have to score a lot though, but we might have the guns to do it...until the Big Sky tournament