Selvig and Montana players

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Selvig and Montana players

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:56 am

SACCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:I follow AA basketball probably more than most (it is one of my jobs) and I can say, there have been MAYBE 2 players the last 4 years that could play at the Big Sky level (Manuel and Howard) there is good talent in AA basketball, but not on a D1 level. When I grew up, Montana was known for Basketball, from class C up to AA. Now days it is different. Basketball is a second option for most great athletes (Football and Baseball are huge now days). I am speaking for boys AA. There are some very good girls basketball players in the state, but two of the best (Toth and Lonergen) were offered by MSU and chose to leave town for a different experience (Toth to BSU) or chose there favorite sport over Basketball (Lonergan V-ball at MSU). The talent we use to see in Montana just isn't there like it use to be.
You forgot Tinkle. I also agree that there has not been many Big Sky caliber players. Additionally, I watched Howard recently and he did not blow me away. Big kid, good basketball player, but does not look like a D1 player. Yet he still put out up 20 and 10 so what do I know???
Yep, my bad on Tinkle (my Bobcat brain tries hard to forget the name Tinkle). As for Howard, that is a tough call. I watched him last year, and was impressed with the offence side of the ball, but his defense was suspect. Hard to say when you are by far the best player on the court, but we will see when he goes up against kids just as good. Aaron Weidenaar was a very good player last year for the Hawks as well, and is playing a little this year at Central Arkansas. I didn't look at him as a true D1 player (little to streaky at times his senior year) but he could maybe be put on the list as well.
I had a chance to see Tinkle play at Hellgate and he was Brad and shoulders above the rest. Never any question that he was the best player on the court, both physically and mentally. I haven't seen this years Skyview in person but have watched some highlights. Do you think they have some D1 talent? Reyquan Evans looked impressive.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:12 am

Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:I follow AA basketball probably more than most (it is one of my jobs) and I can say, there have been MAYBE 2 players the last 4 years that could play at the Big Sky level (Manuel and Howard) there is good talent in AA basketball, but not on a D1 level. When I grew up, Montana was known for Basketball, from class C up to AA. Now days it is different. Basketball is a second option for most great athletes (Football and Baseball are huge now days). I am speaking for boys AA. There are some very good girls basketball players in the state, but two of the best (Toth and Lonergen) were offered by MSU and chose to leave town for a different experience (Toth to BSU) or chose there favorite sport over Basketball (Lonergan V-ball at MSU). The talent we use to see in Montana just isn't there like it use to be.
You forgot Tinkle. I also agree that there has not been many Big Sky caliber players. Additionally, I watched Howard recently and he did not blow me away. Big kid, good basketball player, but does not look like a D1 player. Yet he still put out up 20 and 10 so what do I know???
Yep, my bad on Tinkle (my Bobcat brain tries hard to forget the name Tinkle). As for Howard, that is a tough call. I watched him last year, and was impressed with the offence side of the ball, but his defense was suspect. Hard to say when you are by far the best player on the court, but we will see when he goes up against kids just as good. Aaron Weidenaar was a very good player last year for the Hawks as well, and is playing a little this year at Central Arkansas. I didn't look at him as a true D1 player (little to streaky at times his senior year) but he could maybe be put on the list as well.
I had a chance to see Tinkle play at Hellgate and he was Brad and shoulders above the rest. Never any question that he was the best player on the court, both physically and mentally. I haven't seen this years Skyview in person but have watched some highlights. Do you think they have some D1 talent? Reyquan Evans looked impressive.
Didn't Evans already sign with Oregon State? If so, I believe he will become the 3rd player from Skyview, and the 4th player from Montana on their roster. It's pretty amazing that a Pac-12 school would have 3 kids on their team from the same Montana high school.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:22 am

The UM men haven't had hardly any Montana kids in recent years either. Another factor is that many of the very best boys players from Montana now bypass the BSC, and go on to play for higher profile programs. That hardly ever happened back in the day. It seems like Montana high school players just weren't on the radar of big time programs back then, but they certainly are now. That being said, I am convinced that there are some kids currently playing in the Frontier, that would be good enough to be contributors, if not starters, on either MSU or UM.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:30 am

I am still shocked by the collapse of the UM women's team this season. Apparently they've had a couple of injuries to key players, but still, it's just stunning to see a legendary program like that sitting at the very bottom of the BSC, at 0-8/3-16, and they haven't even been competitive in most of their BSC games, not even at home. Even in their few "down" years, they were usually at least a .500 team. Was Selvig really just that great of a coach, even beyond his ability as a recruiter?

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:45 am

John K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Didn't Evans already sign with Oregon State? If so, I believe he will become the 3rd player from Skyview, and the 4th player from Montana on their roster. It's pretty amazing that a Pac-12 school would have 3 kids on their team from the same Montana high school.
I am pretty sure Evans has signed with Rocky here in Billings.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:47 am

I think a lot more of these good in state basketball players get on these "Elite" tournament teams with the hope of getting more exposure to the bigger out of state schools.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:47 am

WeedKillinCat wrote:
John K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I thought I had read on BN that he was going to OSU, but apparently not.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:23 am

John K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:
John K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I thought I had read on BN that he was going to OSU, but apparently not.
I incorrectly spread that rumor awhile back. :oops:
I had heard he committed to OSU but it wasn't true. Even though he signed with Rocky, it doesn't mean he doesn't have D1 talent. There are sometimes other factors. I do agree with SACCAT though, our pool of D1 prospects has been pretty thin recently. Especially given that many of the boys who could potentially play D1 for UM or MSU chose football.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:58 pm

So the Hawks beat the Falcons here in Bozeman last Friday in double OT. Great game, and great talent on the court...That being said...There wasn't a D1 player (that isn't playing another sport already) on the court. Evans is close, but just something missing (great shooter, and quick first step, but would be a project at MSU or UM in my opinion). Both teams play great "Team" ball. Skyview has a 6"11 sophomore that if he gets some bulk on him, will be the next D1 player in Montana from what I have seen so far this year.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:58 am

So...The Hawks beat Great Falls High last night by 12 points...And I can now say two things

1. Brendan Howard is closer to 6'3" than he is 6'6".

2. He is not good enough to play for the Cats or the Griz...

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:06 pm

SACCAT wrote:So...The Hawks beat Great Falls High last night by 12 points...And I can now say two things

I bet you a Bobcat shirt that by the time Howard is done at EWU you change your mind on how good of a Big Sky player he is.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:20 pm

mslacat wrote:
SACCAT wrote:So...The Hawks beat Great Falls High last night by 12 points...And I can now say two things

I bet you a Bobcat shirt that by the time Howard is done at EWU you change your mind on how good of a Big Sky player he is.
Done...And FYI, I hope you are right and win, but I just don't see it.

Martin lewis
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Martin lewis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:52 pm

If we had a Montana kid who could play division I basketball they would be offered a scholarship. But if they can play division I ball there is not that much difference from playing in Bozeman versus playing in Oregon or Stanford. Where would you go at 18 years old if you had a chance. Otherwise the Frontier conference is where many will play. If we are lucky we may have 1 or 2 kids a year that can play Division I. Even some of them choose football. Fill the stadium every game and make it the place to play and they may come versus the larger school.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Martin lewis wrote:If we had a Montana kid who could play division I basketball they would be offered a scholarship. But if they can play division I ball there is not that much difference from playing in Bozeman versus playing in Oregon or Stanford. Where would you go at 18 years old if you had a chance. Otherwise the Frontier conference is where many will play. If we are lucky we may have 1 or 2 kids a year that can play Division I. Even some of them choose football. Fill the stadium every game and make it the place to play and they may come versus the larger school.
But what has changed so much over the past 20 years or so. Our 1996 team that won the conference title had 3 starters from Montana, and a 4th player who was part of the regular rotation. UM always had plenty of Montana kids on their roster too back then. I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said. I just don't understand why those same issues wouldn't have been just as valid back in 1996 as they are today?

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:51 am

Caitlin Lonergan has left MSU and is now on the UM basketball team. No clue if she has to sit out a year or not. She was suspended from the volleyball team at end of last year after shoplifting 6 times

Martin lewis
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Martin lewis » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:00 am

I think there are fewer kids that focus solely on babsketball today and if they do football still comes knocking. Look at Osweiler, he committed to Gonzaga and then switched to football. Not that many spots on a professional babsketball roster come open every year but look how many Montana kids have played in the NFL the last 2O years versus the prior 20 years.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:22 pm

SACCAT wrote:Caitlin Lonergan has left MSU and is now on the UM basketball team. No clue if she has to sit out a year or not. She was suspended from the volleyball team at end of last year after shoplifting 6 times
WOW, caught 6 times. Really sad. Hopefully that behavior is a thing of her past...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Agreed. She clearly had plenty of opportunity. Maybe it was an academic thing :wink:

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."