Great Falls

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Great Falls

Post by canyoncat » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:08 am

Anybody go to the scrimage in Great Falls? I wasn't able to attend, and would love to hear from those who went. What was your impression? Sounds like we still have problems with our receivers getting yards after the catch.

GO CATS!

gfallscat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gfallscat » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:21 am

it was a great day..

started off with kids camp..proberly close to 300 kids attended

then the game..the west bleachers were full..so they opened the east side.
it was a great turn-out.

game was fine...the D looked to be ahead of the O....or so it seemed to me...

no receiver really stood out...but talking to some ex-players they said gatewood has all the tools to be great.

all is all it was great...cannot wait for the holland classic and the arrival of some transfers

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:27 am

Thanks for the info gfcat, glad to hear there was such a good turnout and wish I could have attended. Anybody else attend and want to share? Anybody snap any pics at the scrimmage that they would like to share with the bobcatnation? If you did, contact rtb and he can get them put up.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:36 am

It was a great day.
I agree that the D was ahead of the O. And that is with many D starters sitting out (Sebasteyen, Hunter, Mollohan (any idea why he sat out?), and Austin who may provide good depth in the secondary). Only problem I saw with the D was the secondary. We've got work to do there.
Glad to see a few passes to Wolf. Maybe we'll work our TE into the offensive scheme this year. McInerny looked really good at RB. Small, quick and slippery. Lulay had a little difficulty connecting on some passes, but overall looked good. Coppack at backup looked very good. The kid has an arm - threw one TD pass that was at least 50 yards in the air.
Not sure where I stand on the O and D lines. D Line was missing a few guys, but O-Line was healthy. Both had their moments - good and bad, so it's tough to say. I think the O-Line has the potential to be a strength for us this year, but I'll repeat that it is potential.
Best/most heart-warming moment of the day was the last play of the scrimmage. There was a girl at the Kids Camp that distinguished herself as a leader (I think she is about 10 years old). On the last play of the scrimmage, Lulay handed off the ball to her, and she ran about 30 yards for a "score" with the first team D diving to tackle her and missing. They all then ran down and carried her off on their shoulders. She was beaming - made you feel good to be there and be a Bobcat.
Any other impressions from the 3,500+ that were there??

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:00 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I am sure the secondary will come around as the transfers come in and Hunter gets healthy. Really looking forward to seeing Eddie Smith and Corky Lindsey back there this fall. The D-Line will be better as Ray and Beau get healthy.

Any news about the Texas A&M kid that is supposed to come in to play D-Line?

GO CATS!!
Last edited by canyoncat on Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:25 am

it was a very impressive turnout. i was most impressed with mcInerny(sp).
he is quick, not only to the hole but in it. i think he is going to be a great back. it was good to see the passes to the tight end. wolf is a monster. i think he caught everything that was thrown to him. i've never seen that many passes thrown to a TE. kinda brings back those joe bignell memories. offense started slow but picked it up. coppack is a good backup. great arm. o-line looked pretty good. d-line and linebackers are good, secondary needs work. kicking game needs lots of help. three kickers in camp. the lefty has good range without pressure, but missed his attempt in the live scrimmage. and finally the kids, it was really neat to see the kids line up accross the field and walk down the field as the scrimmage progressed. kramer and company did a great pr move there. it was also interesting in the newspaper when they were advertising for the camp earlier in the afternoon kramer encouraged any kids, cat or griz fans, to come and participate. classy move.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:56 am

I'll 2nd most if the feedback so far, except I think E.J. Cochrane looked very good kicking. He nailed all but one of his kicks, including a 50 yarder that would have been good from 60. I was really impressed with Coppack's arm. That 50 yard bomb was on a rope and right on the money. Looked like he also had some good scrambling ability. Overall, things are looking very promising for us to make another run for the Big Sky title. It's awesome to look at the caliber of ball we're playing now, compared to even three years ago when the Spring game was in Fort Benton. Night & day! 8) It's clear that Kramer has built a solid "program", the past couple of years weren't "flukes", and we won't be slipping back to where we were throughout most of the 90's anytime soon! :) Last thing - sat behind Dave Dickinson in the stands - probably not surprising given the Great Falls connection, but it was cool seeing him there. That guy is definitely a class act, even if he is a Griz :wink:
Last edited by catatac on Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

SeeHarg
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SeeHarg » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:21 pm

That’s an interesting switch for the Cats – potent offense but ineffective defense, especially in the secondary.
I was glad to hear Lulay had a good scrimmage – I don’t know why, but I’ve always liked watching him play. As a Friz fan, it hurts to say it, but I’m afraid he’s poised for a breakout season (at least he’s due for one). But I don’t know what you guys have for receivers anymore, and am a bit skeptical about the backfield’s ability to open up the passing game.
I think most of the concerns with the secondary will subside considerably with the arrival of the JC’s, but it probably won’t be anything like last year’s (the smoke ol’ Chromedome is blowing up the boosters’ dresses notwithstanding).
Last edited by SeeHarg on Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhereDoITypeMySignature?

bobcatftbl
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcatftbl » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:50 pm

McInerney is a good kid. He has great balance as he runs very low to the ground, this also helps with his power when he has to go head to head with another player. If he can increase his all out speed he should be set to get some playing time next fall. Hopefully he will work hard this summer and come back in the fall ready to go.