Sonny Holland Game Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sonny Holland Game Thread

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 pm

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:46 pm

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:48 pm

toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:54 pm

BornBobcat2000 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:59 pm
I’m surprised to see some of the comments about the backup QB’s, because I didn’t think they were very impressive in the passing game at all. Maybe I’m being harsh, but I didn’t think any of the backups looked like a game ready QB #2
I'm watching it now on DVR and so far at the half, I mostly agree with you. Was really hoping to see Reed take the next step but both his first 2 passes were near picks with the first being thrown behind on a crossing route.
Neither Reed nor Mellott are live, the other QBs are.

Adam Jones had a couple nice runs and Hunter Provience had a couple nice plays. Kautzman doing all FG kicking so far and is 3 for 3.
Now on to the 2nd half...

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:56 pm

toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:12 pm

3rd quarter notes, on tape delay 😆

Alexander with a sideline catch, good to see him out there finally.

Jared White with a couple catches out of the backfield, and some nice strong runs.

Kautzman had a FG blocked on a low kick... that's not good to see after last year's issues. We have got to have that figured out before fall.

Elijah Elliot with some good tough inside runs.
Adam Jones still flashing, he looks great.

Still no TDs. Onto the 4th quarter.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:18 pm

Back from game and have to agree with some others. Came away really impressed with Duchien. Bit different from our usual in that he didn’t seem like the running threat but seemed to have a good presence in pocket and made good decisions. Wilson looked good too, more of a runner I think. Always tough to know what they are allowed to do in a scrimmage but seemed like he made wrong read a few time on the zone read.

Also agree that it is crazy how deep the RB room is still. So much talent flashed today and that was without Julius Davis even.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:52 pm

4th quarter notes.

Adam Jones with a couple carries finally punches in a TD. That kid looks really good, he's strong with good balance, looks natural. Just based on today, he's going to get significant touches next year.

Right after that score, Colson Coon rips off a 50 yard run to the 25ish yard line.

Crews with a TFL on a run play.

DBs have had solid coverage most of the day from what I can see on TV.
And just as I type that, Provience smokes a DB over the middle for a TD from Tommy.

Reed with a nice pass in the flat but dropped. #16 was the WR.
Reed with another nice toss over the middle to #48. Murphy.
Reed looking a lot better this half. Maybe he was just nervous in the 1st qtr.

Alexander beats a DB deep but the ball is way underthrown by Wilson and broken up, by Woodard I think. Wilson does look athletic but raw.

Rohan Jones getting a few reps but no catches that I've seen yet.

Defender #27 bit hard on play action and leaves Provience WIDE open for his 2nd TD of the day. From Wilson.

Reed back in to finish the game, had some nice completions but the defense was mostly backed off as the score was 23-7 in the last few minutes.

Last play of the game was Jones with a 3 yard TD.

And most importantly, no injuries at all that I noticed despite a couple big hits from the defense.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:27 pm

Crowd looked larger than most Big Sky teams averages.

Hating the griz since 02.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:44 pm

Utcatsfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Utcatsfan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:56 pm

Unfortunately was unable to find a stream for the game, the offensove scheme look/seem any different without Housewright?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:55 pm

Utcatsfan wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:56 pm
Unfortunately was unable to find a stream for the game, the offensove scheme look/seem any different without Housewright?
It looked pretty similar to me. Lots of zone read, inside zone runs. Quick out throws from Mellott, sideline throws, some throws to the TEs.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:05 pm

toM StUber

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:26 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:52 pm
4th quarter notes.

Adam Jones with a couple carries finally punches in a TD. That kid looks really good, he's strong with good balance, looks natural. Just based on today, he's going to get significant touches next year.

Right after that score, Colson Coon rips off a 50 yard run to the 25ish yard line.

Crews with a TFL on a run play.

DBs have had solid coverage most of the day from what I can see on TV.
And just as I type that, Provience smokes a DB over the middle for a TD from Tommy.

Reed with a nice pass in the flat but dropped. #16 was the WR.
Reed with another nice toss over the middle to #48. Murphy.
Reed looking a lot better this half. Maybe he was just nervous in the 1st qtr.

Alexander beats a DB deep but the ball is way underthrown by Wilson and broken up, by Woodard I think. Wilson does look athletic but raw.

Rohan Jones getting a few reps but no catches that I've seen yet.

Defender #27 bit hard on play action and leaves Provience WIDE open for his 2nd TD of the day. From Wilson.

Reed back in to finish the game, had some nice completions but the defense was mostly backed off as the score was 23-7 in the last few minutes.

Last play of the game was Jones with a 3 yard TD.

And most importantly, no injuries at all that I noticed despite a couple big hits from the defense.
Humphrey came out of the game almost immediately limping. Limped around the sideline the rest of the game. Didn't look too serious though.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 pm

BornBobcat2000 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:59 pm
I’m surprised to see some of the comments about the backup QB’s, because I didn’t think they were very impressive in the passing game at all. Maybe I’m being harsh, but I didn’t think any of the backups looked like a game ready QB #2
I would second that. I personally think this is the only position I would love to see us land a portal transfer QB with experience. Not saying the backups aren’t good, but if Tommy goes down and is out for a couple games, could these 3 guys step in and pick up where Tommy left off?

Punters are people too!!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:59 pm

I too had the feeling that if we NEED QB2, we could be in trouble. If Tommy plays QB and hands off and throws when he’s supposed to, runs as a last option, maybe we’ll be fine.

I thought that even though Brock Steel was burned on the TD, he is a sure tackler not afraid to thump someone.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:12 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:59 pm
I too had the feeling that if we NEED QB2, we could be in trouble. If Tommy plays QB and hands off and throws when he’s supposed to, runs as a last option, maybe we’ll be fine.

I thought that even though Brock Steel was burned on the TD, he is a sure tackler not afraid to thump someone.
In my opinion, we go as far as our 2nd string QB will take us. We will need whoever that is to win games and probably road games as well.

Hating the griz since 02.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:49 pm

toM StUber

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:52 pm

94VegasCat wrote:

We're at the point where we have to go all in every year but if we go to the portal for a (1 year) QB2 this year we may not have a QB1 next year because Reed won't get any chances to develop.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:25 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:52 pm
94VegasCat wrote:

We're at the point where we have to go all in every year but if we go to the portal for a (1 year) QB2 this year we may not have a QB1 next year because Reed won't get any chances to develop.
exactly, score early, stop opponent, PLAY QB2 a LOT.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back