Sonny Holland Game Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Sonny Holland Game Thread

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:23 pm

I want to clarify that my observation of the QB’s is solely based on yesterday. I don’t buy the #2 team stuff. If you are a legit starter or a two deep fighting for playing time, you should be at the same talent level of the guy in front of you. I just wouldn’t be surprised to see us look for an extra option at QB. As far as the two deep, after yesterday if we don’t see much or any turn over at all with the transfer portal, there are a ton of guys that will be rotating in and out all game long. Cole Taylor, Crews, Steel, little Grebe, Bullock, Jones, Coon……and several others that looked very impressive yesterday.

Punters are people too!!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:05 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:23 pm
I want to clarify that my observation of the QB’s is solely based on yesterday. I don’t buy the #2 team stuff. If you are a legit starter or a two deep fighting for playing time, you should be at the same talent level of the guy in front of you. I just wouldn’t be surprised to see us look for an extra option at QB. As far as the two deep, after yesterday if we don’t see much or any turn over at all with the transfer portal, there are a ton of guys that will be rotating in and out all game long. Cole Taylor, Crews, Steel, little Grebe, Bullock, Jones, Coon……and several others that looked very impressive yesterday.
This is a good take. DeNarius McGhee, Dakota Prukop, Quinn McQueary, Jake Bleskin, Tommy Mellott....all looks really good as young players no matter who was in front of them or who they were throwing to. I thought the younger QBs had a pretty difficult time getting the ball out of their hands on Saturday no matter who was around them or defending them.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:14 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:05 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
This is a good take. DeNarius McGhee, Dakota Prukop, Quinn McQueary, Jake Bleskin, Tommy Mellott....all looks really good as young players no matter who was in front of them or who they were throwing to. I thought the younger QBs had a pretty difficult time getting the ball out of their hands on Saturday no matter who was around them or defending them.
So having seen all the qbs for the good guys and the bad guys how would you rank them with who had the best spring. Not who's the best.
If I had to guess:
Tommy
Ah Yat
Chris brown
Vidlak
Wilson
Huot
Reed
Duchien

Also did running rabbit see any snaps in the spring for the griz?

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:24 pm

The key to all this is how are these guys going to progress as we go into summer and then fall? If fall ball starts and they are still throwing passes to receivers feet or 3 yards behind the receivers, I will be worried. If these 3 QB’s bust they’re a$$ during the next 3 months and come in with the mindset that they could be the starter over Tommy….game on!! I’m sure that any 3 of these guys on any given day would be a starter on this team and have a ton of success. I just didn’t see that skill level from them on Saturday.

Punters are people too!!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:53 am

lutecat wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:14 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
So having seen all the qbs for the good guys and the bad guys how would you rank them with who had the best spring. Not who's the best.
If I had to guess:
Tommy
Ah Yat
Chris brown
Vidlak
Wilson
Huot
Reed
Duchien

I was at the game and thought Duchien outplayed Wilson and Reed, with the exception of Reed's final drive of the game. Up until that drive he looked lost.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:59 am

lutecat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
If I had to guess:
Tommy
Ah Yat
Chris brown
Vidlak
Wilson
Huot
Reed
Duchien

He's a senior on the Browning track team this spring!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:20 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:53 am
lutecat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
If I had to guess:
Tommy
Ah Yat
Chris brown
Vidlak
Wilson
Huot
Reed
Duchien

I was at the game and thought Duchien outplayed Wilson and Reed, with the exception of Reed's final drive of the game. Up until that drive he looked lost.
I've watched one practice and the scrimmage, so that's pretty limited observation time, but I thought Duchien was as good if not slightly better than Wilson both times I watched them.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:38 am

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:20 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:53 am
lutecat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
If I had to guess:
Tommy
Ah Yat
Chris brown
Vidlak
Wilson
Huot
Reed
Duchien

I've watched one practice and the scrimmage, so that's pretty limited observation time, but I thought Duchien was as good if not slightly better than Wilson both times I watched them.
I thought the same. Comparable at worst. I thought maybe my Western B bias might have given Duchien the nod. I think they're good ones to compare anyway, as they're both more athletes than pure QB's IMO.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:39 am

I saw Case Kruse on the Spring roster. I watched this video interview of him and he looked a little skinny to be playing D-line but I loved his attitude in the interview and he said he planned to walk on at MSU. I guess he did!

https://www.montanasports.com/category/ ... hrine-game

The roster has him listed as 6’2, 230, so it looks like he put on some weight since the interview. Good on you young man for following your dreams. I hope he makes the regular roster and gets to play.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:44 am

aucat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:58 pm
What was the kicking game like? It was a big part of our downfall last year.
It was looking good in the 1st half (3 of 3 FGs, no PATs). But in the 3rd quarter there was a low FG attempt that was blocked, reminiscent of the playoff game last year. Not sure if that was Kautzman who kicked it or not, but if so, I think Vigen needs to bring in some competition at placekicker.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:53 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:44 am
aucat wrote:
It was looking good in the 1st half (3 of 3 FGs, no PATs). But in the 3rd quarter there was a low FG attempt that was blocked, reminiscent of the playoff game last year. Not sure if that was Kautzman who kicked it or not, but if so, I think Vigen needs to bring in some competition at placekicker.
He addressed it in the postgame presser. He said something like "we're not there yet", and said he (Vigen) has some work to do there before fall. He didn't say that necessarily meant getting a transfer, but I think that's something they've been looking for. Now that most programs have finished spring ball, I expect the portal to be pretty busy this week, so here's hoping there's a perfect kicker out there that will come to MSU! I'm afraid we as fans have enough trauma from last year that even if a guy went 49-50 on FG's next year, we're going to be mad it wasn't perfect. Regardless, Vigen is well aware of what needs to happen. I also thought it was interesting that Hall focused on punts and kickoffs and didn't kick any PAT's or FG's (unless I missed something).

Vigen knows it's an issue, and I know he's looking for someone. I just don't think there's anybody in the transfer portal who you can look at and say he's definitely better than Hall and Kautzman. If they were, they're probably going to big schools where they can make six figures.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:28 am

History of backup QBs:
2023 - Chambers (part of 2 QB system)
2022 - Chambers (part of 2 QB system)
2021 - Rovig (beat out by McKay; limited play until title game)
2020 - NA
2019 - Bauman (limited play)
2018 - Rovig (limited play)
2017 - McChesney (only took a couple snaps; Murray was durable)
2016 - Bruggman (got beat out by Murray)
2015 - Bleskin (limited play)
2014 - Bleskin (had a great game vs ISU; rough one vs UM)
2013 - Bleskin (filled in well for McGhee)
2012 - Bleskin (limited play)
2011 - Galloway (limited play)
2010 - Kempt (got beat out by McGhee)
2009-
2008 -
2007 -
2006 - Rolovich/Carpenter (Carpenter started the season, Rolovich finished)
2005 -
2004 -
2003 -
2002 - Thomas (beat out by Lulay)

Hit-and-miss for the most part. Most of them didn't really get to show what they could do, and I'd give mixed reviews overall. Only one guy (Chambers) on the list that is head-and-shoulders above any backups MSU has had over the past 15-20 years, but he was part of a two-QB system.

Getting another backup* like Chambers is next to impossible. Getting someone better than what is currently in place at MSU to transfer to be a backup and have no shot at starting barring injury isn't a promising either.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:42 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:28 am
History of backup QBs:
2020 - NA
2009-
2008 -
2007 -
2005 -
2004 -
2003 -

Hit-and-miss for the most part. Most of them didn't really get to show what they could do, and I'd give mixed reviews overall. Only one guy (Chambers) on the list that is head-and-shoulders above any backups MSU has had over the past 15-20 years, but he was part of a two-QB system.

Getting another backup* like Chambers is next to impossible. Getting someone better than what is currently in place at MSU to transfer to be a backup and have no shot at starting barring injury isn't a promising either.
This is good. I do think we've gotten a little spoiled knowing a legitimate, experienced FBS QB was the backup. Most programs, even in the NFL, have a pretty steep dropoff to QB2. Given the fact that, according to Matt Ruhle, a good transfer QB in the portal goes for about $1M, we'd be looking at someone with some question marks...at least right now. Maybe it looks different in two months (if the portal is still open, I don't know the rules) when the bigger programs have passed over guys.

Obviously I know MSU isn't competing with Nebraska for the $1M QB's, but the good ones in the portal are holding out for money. They might know they're not million dollar guys (but they also might be delusional), but they might think they can get $100k to be a backup. Similar to the kicking situation, if a guy isn't a slam dunk, do we know he's better than what's on the roster? And if he is, is he OK being brought in to be a backup?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:52 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:53 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:44 am
aucat wrote:
He addressed it in the postgame presser. He said something like "we're not there yet", and said he (Vigen) has some work to do there before fall. He didn't say that necessarily meant getting a transfer, but I think that's something they've been looking for. Now that most programs have finished spring ball, I expect the portal to be pretty busy this week, so here's hoping there's a perfect kicker out there that will come to MSU! I'm afraid we as fans have enough trauma from last year that even if a guy went 49-50 on FG's next year, we're going to be mad it wasn't perfect. Regardless, Vigen is well aware of what needs to happen. I also thought it was interesting that Hall focused on punts and kickoffs and didn't kick any PAT's or FG's (unless I missed something).

Vigen knows it's an issue, and I know he's looking for someone. I just don't think there's anybody in the transfer portal who you can look at and say he's definitely better than Hall and Kautzman. If they were, they're probably going to big schools where they can make six figures.
Vigen has been subtly saying for a couple weeks that they are looking to find a placekicker over the summer. He's been not so subtly saying that Hall won't be doing the job this season. I think we'll find someone and tell Sansted that there isn't room for him (if we haven't already - he's not listed on the roster on the website this morning). I think Casey makes for a good backup at all the kicking positions but it would take a lot of consecutive clean games to feel confident with him as K1.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:03 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:42 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:28 am
History of backup QBs:
2020 - NA
2009-
2008 -
2007 -
2005 -
2004 -
2003 -

This is good. I do think we've gotten a little spoiled knowing a legitimate, experienced FBS QB was the backup. Most programs, even in the NFL, have a pretty steep dropoff to QB2. Given the fact that, according to Matt Ruhle, a good transfer QB in the portal goes for about $1M, we'd be looking at someone with some question marks...at least right now. Maybe it looks different in two months (if the portal is still open, I don't know the rules) when the bigger programs have passed over guys.

Obviously I know MSU isn't competing with Nebraska for the $1M QB's, but the good ones in the portal are holding out for money. They might know they're not million dollar guys (but they also might be delusional), but they might think they can get $100k to be a backup. Similar to the kicking situation, if a guy isn't a slam dunk, do we know he's better than what's on the roster? And if he is, is he OK being brought in to be a backup?
We've been super spoiled at QB since Thanksgiving 2021. We've essentially had two once in a generation or lifetime experiences at the position since Vigen arrived that won't be replicated. The Touchdown Tommy run was both a function of Tommy AND game circumstances. We only had Chambers fall into our lap because Vigen coached him at Wyoming and he needed to escape Laramie and was in the perfect frame of mind for the situation.

There's not another former Wyoming starter walking through that door but if Vigen and crew can convince another G5 QB that he can earn a role in the QB room where almost at a minimum he'll play every week and have a chance to start at least a game or two then we'll be in great shape again.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:29 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:52 am

Vigen has been subtly saying for a couple weeks that they are looking to find a placekicker over the summer. He's been not so subtly saying that Hall won't be doing the job this season. I think we'll find someone and tell Sansted that there isn't room for him (if we haven't already - he's not listed on the roster on the website this morning). I think Casey makes for a good backup at all the kicking positions but it would take a lot of consecutive clean games to feel confident with him as K1.
I printed a roster out from the website before spring ball and Sansted wasn't on it.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:42 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:29 am
coloradocat wrote:

I printed a roster out from the website before spring ball and Sansted wasn't on it.
This is the only roster I’ve seen Sansted on.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:45 am

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:42 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:29 am
coloradocat wrote:

This is the only roster I’ve seen Sansted on.

Well he's Vigen's nephew and he kicked last spring. Not sure if he ever got on the roster last fall or not. He might not have high expectations for making a roster and is just proud to be along for the ride.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:16 pm

lutecat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
If I had to guess:
Tommy
Ah Yat
Chris brown
Vidlak
Wilson
Huot
Reed
Duchien

Absolutely impossible to tell. I actually think the Cats & the Griz are the two hardest teams to analyze this time of year and here's why: for the 'Cats, the offense is so diverse and creative and uses so much window dressing, pre snap motions, mis directions and, of course, the wizardry of Tommy Mellott in the QB run game....none of that occurs during the spring game. I can tell you that Montana State will be really good on the offensive line and will be good to great at TE. Those were my main offensive takeaways. Receivers also look really good.

The Griz are nearly impossible to analyze because, unlike the 'Cats during the spring game, they do not split the teams evenly. The stack one team in favor of the young QBs and the other to try to test their top QBs as much as possible. For example, last Friday, the "maroon" team featured the starting offense and the starting defense....with Kaden Huot and Logan Fife playing quarterback. Ah Yat therefore faced the top defense behind a makeshift offensive line including four freshman and a backup center who struggled. And he was throwing to 3-4 string receivers, handing to LB turned RB Asher Croy (who looked great BTW).

So really hard to tell who looks like what when neither side gives looks that are even close to what we will see in season. It's also safe to say that coaches run about 2 percent of their play book when the spring game is on TV. Vigen said as much on Saturday.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:48 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:16 pm
lutecat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
If I had to guess:
Tommy
Ah Yat
Chris brown
Vidlak
Wilson
Huot
Reed
Duchien

Absolutely impossible to tell. I actually think the Cats & the Griz are the two hardest teams to analyze this time of year and here's why: for the 'Cats, the offense is so diverse and creative and uses so much window dressing, pre snap motions, mis directions and, of course, the wizardry of Tommy Mellott in the QB run game....none of that occurs during the spring game. I can tell you that Montana State will be really good on the offensive line and will be good to great at TE. Those were my main offensive takeaways. Receivers also look really good.

The Griz are nearly impossible to analyze because, unlike the 'Cats during the spring game, they do not split the teams evenly. The stack one team in favor of the young QBs and the other to try to test their top QBs as much as possible. For example, last Friday, the "maroon" team featured the starting offense and the starting defense....with Kaden Huot and Logan Fife playing quarterback. Ah Yat therefore faced the top defense behind a makeshift offensive line including four freshman and a backup center who struggled. And he was throwing to 3-4 string receivers, handing to LB turned RB Asher Croy (who looked great BTW).

So really hard to tell who looks like what when neither side gives looks that are even close to what we will see in season. It's also safe to say that coaches run about 2 percent of their play book when the spring game is on TV. Vigen said as much on Saturday.
Great explanation CN. Thank you! Appreciate you man!