Chipper moved to Monday

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BgCATfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Chipper moved to Monday

Post by BgCATfan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:37 am

Saw on the news the other night that the FCS championship game will be moved to Monday for the upcoming season.
Sunday wasn't good for TV, Sat morning sucked and Frisco doesn't want Friday night. I think from an attending fan point of view, Sat morning was the worst followed now by Monday.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Chipper moved to Monday

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:14 am

Yeah I think an attending fan has a tougher time getting there, as you almost certainly have to take Monday and Tuesday off work. Honestly though, most people who can afford to make this trip are in the stage of their careers where they have a little flexibility. But as we know, very little of the revenue of modern sports has anything to do with in-person attendance. If they drop 10% in attendance but can get another million eyeballs on the game on TV, it's more than worth it. I think the casual sports fan flipping through the channels on a Monday night in January will spend time watching this game. I don't think that was the case quite as much on Saturday and Sunday. Frisco probably likes it, as they'll have busy Sunday and Monday nights at restaurants, bars and hotels. I'll be interested to see the results.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:36 am

We booked a house again and it was cheaper with a Saturday-Monday stay versus a Friday-Sunday stay. 12 person VRBO house 2 miles from the stadium was $1200 total, so can’t complain with that. I’m thinking the plane prices will be higher though, since we would be flying on the weekend to get there, but we will cross that bridge closer to the end of the season.

If your left, you aren’t right.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:43 am

Since ESPN moved the game to avoid competing with the NFL I wonder if they'll reconsider their decision to move the game from ABC to ESPN. I would assume ratings take a big hit, but are still higher than Sat/Sun, on cable versus network.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:41 am

Probably a good idea, but let's be honest - it's still FCS football. Viewership may increase somewhat, picking up a few more football-crazed fans. But in the end, we're still the ugly stepsister to FBS and it really won't get that much more love, IMHO...

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:41 am
Probably a good idea, but let's be honest - it's still FCS football. Viewership may increase somewhat, picking up a few more football-crazed fans. But in the end, we're still the ugly stepsister to FBS and it really won't get that much more love, IMHO...
People will watch 3rd-rate (at best) football in April. They'll definitely watch FCS football when there is nothing else on during a timeslot they've been conditioned to expect football. I generally blame poor ratings in the past on trying to compete with a better product or being on cable. That's why I like Monday but hate it on ESPN. ABC might not like sports on weekdays any more but it's not like they are going to have original programming on the first Monday in January. The FCS title game would definitely get better ratings than a rerun of a game/reality show.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
I think you're exactly right. But I think if the FCS continues to get out there in front of people, it'll pick up more and more fans as FBS football becomes professional. The Women's NCAA tournament flipped everything on its head this year, maybe partly because it just felt like a little purer form of amateur athletics. I pulled hard for Iowa against LSU because LSU represented the individualism and greed that has me disillusioned with the higher level of college sports right now. Outside of MSU women's games, I doubt I've watched more than 10 minutes of women's college basketball in my life before this year.

So MAYBE, if the women's college basketball tournament can get more viewers than the men, there's some hope for the popularity of a really solid level of amateur football yet.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
I think you're exactly right. But I think if the FCS continues to get out there in front of people, it'll pick up more and more fans as FBS football becomes professional. The Women's NCAA tournament flipped everything on its head this year, maybe partly because it just felt like a little purer form of amateur athletics. I pulled hard for Iowa against LSU because LSU represented the individualism and greed that has me disillusioned with the higher level of college sports right now. Outside of MSU women's games, I doubt I've watched more than 10 minutes of women's college basketball in my life before this year.

So MAYBE, if the women's college basketball tournament can get more viewers than the men, there's some hope for the popularity of a really solid level of amateur football yet.
The women's tournament was pushed by a HUGE promotional campaign across all of sports media. The FCS can't replicate something that coordinated.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

The women's tournament was pushed by a HUGE promotional campaign across all of sports media. The FCS can't replicate something that coordinated.
That's fair, and a large portion of that was the success of Caitlin Clark, a relatable girl in the midwest who's easy to pull for. But I'm not saying it has to be that kind of shift either. I'm not saying the FCS championship will ever overtake the FBS games, as was the case this year in college hoops. I think the promotional campaign was only part of it. I wasn't as interested in men's college hoops this year and wanted something else to watch. The FBS is losing me and I suspect it's losing a lot of other people who aren't die-hard fans of the big teams. If the FCS can put itself in the best position to get more of the disillusioned viewers, there's an opportunity to POSSIBLY attract new fans.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:08 pm

Best thing about this news is that it will be Monday NIGHT. I always hated that the championship game was played in the daylight. Big game like that should have that night game feel IMO.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am

utucats wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:08 pm
Best thing about this news is that it will be Monday NIGHT. I always hated that the championship game was played in the daylight. Big game like that should have that night game feel IMO.
That's dangerous for me. I ended up getting pretty tuned up before and during the game last time with a NOON kickoff..... too much fun at tailgates with all the old reunions, old college faces I hadn't seen in years, etc. I will definitely need to pace myself next time. :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:29 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Caitlin Clark made more money playing for Iowa this season than she will on her WNBA contract. Her endorsement money more than makes up for it, but her season at Iowa was anything but “pure amateurism.” It was at the level of the best FBS players and even more advertisement contracts.

This is from her previous season, so it had to have increased much more for this past season as she returned to chase the scoring record and lead Iowa on a revenge tour.

Great story and possibly the apex of WNCAA popularity, but “amateurism” was not in the same neighborhood of what the top women’s players are paid to stay.
——-

So what do all the NIL deals add up to for Caitlin Clark? The exact numbers aren't known, but ESPN reports that Clark earned well over $1 million BEFORE she signed her Nike deal in 2022. That deal was also reportedly worth seven figures.

Why would college basketball's top women's players go pro when they can earn MORE in college?

Read More: Just How Much NIL Money Does Caitlin Clark Rake In? | https://khak.com/just-how-much-nil-mone ... m=referral

Read More: Just How Much NIL Money Does Caitlin Clark Rake In? | https://khak.com/just-how-much-nil-mone ... m=referral

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride