SPEEDY DBs - incoming class

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RockyBearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: SPEEDY DBs - incoming class

Post by RockyBearCat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:39 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:55 am
Boyd ran a 10.64 yesterday and finished 8th in the preliminary and then ran a 10.94 and finished 7th in the finals, according to Athletic.net. That’s a little confusing to me for a couple reasons. Perhaps there’s a typo in there because it doesn’t seem like an eighth place finish wouldn’t get you into the final. It seems odd that they would run preliminaries and final on the same day. Is that normal?
He did run in the finals...what are you asking? He came in as the 8 seed on an 8-lane track, so he was in an outside lane, which is never good. It doesn't matter as much in the 100, but still you seldom see lanes 1 or 8 placing. Also I'm not sure we can tell from athletic.net that they didn't run prelims on Friday and finals on Saturday. Looks like maybe everything was just posted on Saturday so it looks like it was all the same day. I'm thinking the host school just waited until the whole meet was over to post results. If you're seeing something else, my bad!
I think he misinterpreted "8th in prelims" as 8th in his heat in the prelims.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:41 am

RockyBearCat wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:39 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Boyd ran a 10.64 yesterday and finished 8th in the preliminary and then ran a 10.94 and finished 7th in the finals, according to Athletic.net. That’s a little confusing to me for a couple reasons. Perhaps there’s a typo in there because it doesn’t seem like an eighth place finish wouldn’t get you into the final. It seems odd that they would run preliminaries and final on the same day. Is that normal?
He did run in the finals...what are you asking? He came in as the 8 seed on an 8-lane track, so he was in an outside lane, which is never good. It doesn't matter as much in the 100, but still you seldom see lanes 1 or 8 placing. Also I'm not sure we can tell from athletic.net that they didn't run prelims on Friday and finals on Saturday. Looks like maybe everything was just posted on Saturday so it looks like it was all the same day. I'm thinking the host school just waited until the whole meet was over to post results. If you're seeing something else, my bad!
Yeah, poor grammar on my part. Boyd finished 8th in his preliminary heat with a time of 10.64, according to Athletic.net. He qualified for the finals and ran a 10.94 and finished 7th, according to Athletic.net. Maybe I'm reading their website wrong.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:55 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:41 am
RockyBearCat wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:39 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Yeah, poor grammar on my part. Boyd finished 8th in his preliminary heat with a time of 10.64, according to Athletic.net. He qualified for the finals and ran a 10.94 and finished 7th, according to Athletic.net. Maybe I'm reading their website wrong.
Yeah I think you're reading it right. Your preliminary time is only a qualifying time--not the time that counts for placing. It does count for official times, just not places/points. It's not like prelims in a field event. You could have your best jump on your first attempt in prelims and that's your official best for the meet and counts for scoring.

So in Boyd's case, he ran better in prelims, then ran worse in the finals (a lot of them did). If he'd have run his 10.64 in the finals he'd have finished 4th. 8th place finisher in finals didn't record a time. Probably a false start. Since times were so much worse, I wouldn't be surprised if the runners didn't hear the second gun and ran most of the race. They bring them back and run it again, and naturally times were slower. Of course there could have been plenty of other factors like weather/wind, or not resting well after day 1.

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:31 pm

I'll shed a little light to this subject.......

TX Regional meet went on this weekend. In Region III, McMillan's region, the day started off warm around 80d and a nice day. Right before they ran the 4x1 a cold front hit, dropped the temp 30d, it started pouring down, and it got super windy. The kids had warmed up and the first race was about to get in the blocks and thunder hit and they were on a delay....that delay ended up last over an hr. So the kids warmed up in warm weather, had to wait over an hr and then run in really cold weather(for us, lol), wind and rain. McMillan's relay team ran a 40.37, got 3rd and got the wild card to go to state(in TX the state meet has 9lns so they take the top 2 from each region, 4 regions, then they take the fastest 3rd place team...that was tompkins). Tompkins 4x2 won by a large margin, then McMillan ran after another 30min delay for rain and lightening and ran a 20.69 getting 2nd(that time is 2nd in TX). McMillan also competed in the LJ earlier in the day on Saturday. He got 5th place jumping a 23'3", he started rough but each jump he got better and came up a little short.

Boyd's region ran into similar conditions. It was warm on Friday but then on Saturday the temp dropped and it rained. Carson Williams was competing in the LJ at region but didn't qualify for state.

So at the TX state meet McMillan and Boyd will compete against each other in the open 200. McMillan will be running in the 4x1 and the 4x2.

In reference to the "how tall are they" question all McMillan Boyd and Williams are all 5'11" or taller. McMillan has returned punts and kickoffs and is deadly at it(remember he was a RB before he switched is JR yr to CB...and was dynamic at it...he actually played RB this year in spurts and was virtually untouchable if he got to the edge). Everyone here as to remember TX is a FOOTBALL state, its what we do. These kids are football players who happen to be extremely fast. All of these dbs are legit dbs, not just fast kids who happen to makes plays from time to time....I've watched film on all of them. They all can play press coverage, understand footwork, reading routes, understand leverage and route combinations...these kids can play the game of football AND they have the speed to separate themselves from many other players. For the life of me I don't understand how any of these kids weren't more highly recruited.

***edit***Kaplan, from Lake Creek, was competing in the throwing events at the same track meet. Unfortunately he didn't qualify for state. He and McMillan did take a picture together...so MSU had five kids competing at the regional track meet across the state. If yall don't know it's a HUGE deal just to get to region. So that really shows the level of recruiting that MSU is doing down here in TX. Extremely impressive.
Last edited by BobcatBuiltTexan on Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:43 pm

As far as comparing MSU to the high school times.....I'm pretty sure MSU doesn't run all their meets in MT or cold weather states. I'm pretty sure they travel and have opportunities to run in warm climates. These kids in TX are just built different. Currently of the top 10 times in the country(there is a log jam at 10 of several kids) 9 of the 12 kids are from TX. And McMillan ran a 10.45(the 10th time is 10.44) early in the season, in the cold(about 40d with a head wind) and he only ran it that one time all year. Had he been able to run the open 100 he would be in the top 10 as well. Of the top 4x1 and 4x2 times over half the teams are from TX as well. at the region III meet fort bend ridgepoint(top 10 4x1) ran a 40.77 and they are not even going to state, lol. Texas has the largest concentration of speed in the country. Yes we are one of the largest states, but even with larger states they still really don't compare across the board. For the life of me I don't understand why schools from up north don't come get our sprinters...one of McMillan's teammates is only a soph and ran a 21.10...MSU should be all over him now. He's a football player as well, on the small side but as a track kid he would great for MSU....100,200, 400, and LJ.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:44 pm

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:31 pm

TX Regional meet went on this weekend. In Region III, McMillan's region, the day started off warm around 80d and a nice day. Right before they ran the 4x1 a cold front hit, dropped the temp 30d, it started pouring down, and it got super windy. The kids had warmed up and the first race was about to get in the blocks and thunder hit and they were on a delay....that delay ended up last over an hr. So the kids warmed up in warm weather, had to wait over an hr and then run in really cold weather(for us, lol), wind and rain. McMillan's relay team ran a 40.37, got 3rd and got the wild card to go to state(in TX the state meet has 9lns so they take the top 2 from each region, 4 regions, then they take the fastest 3rd place team...that was tompkins). Tompkins 4x2 won by a large margin, then McMillan ran after another 30min delay for rain and lightening and ran a 20.69 getting 2nd(that time is 2nd in TX). McMillan also competed in the LJ earlier in the day on Saturday. He got 5th place jumping a 23'3", he started rough but each jump he got better and came up a little short.

Boyd's region ran into similar conditions. It was warm on Friday but then on Saturday the temp dropped and it rained. Carson Williams was competing in the LJ at region but didn't qualify for state.

So at the TX state meet McMillan and Boyd will compete against each other in the open 200. McMillan will be running in the 4x1 and the 4x2.

In reference to the "how tall are they" question all McMillan Boyd and Williams are all 5'11" or taller. McMillan has returned punts and kickoffs and is deadly at it(remember he was a RB before he switched is JR yr to CB...and was dynamic at it...he actually played RB this year in spurts and was virtually untouchable if he got to the edge). Everyone here as to remember TX is a FOOTBALL state, its what we do. These kids are football players who happen to be extremely fast. All of these dbs are legit dbs, not just fast kids who happen to makes plays from time to time....I've watched film on all of them. They all can play press coverage, understand footwork, reading routes, understand leverage and route combinations...these kids can play the game of football AND they have the speed to separate themselves from many other players. For the life of me I don't understand how any of these kids weren't more highly recruited.
Thanks for the info @BobcatBuiltTexan!

As to the recruiting, I'm damn glad they're gonna be Bobcats and excited to see what they can do in the Blue & Gold. I think the transfer portal has really changed high school recruiting. I believe that bigger schools are gonna go to the portal now to develop their rosters. Unless a kid is a 5-star recruit coming out of high school, bigger schools are gonna let smaller schools pick up these recruits and develop them. Spend 2-3 years at a program like MSU, where the athlete has a chance to develop their skills, get bigger in the weight room, and get on a nutritional regimen that sets them up for growth. Now that athlete is more desirable to bring into a bigger program and probably has the chance to make an immediate impact.

As a result, smaller FBS schools and FCS programs are going to get the chance to bring in high-level athletes like Boyd and McMillan, whereas in the past we may have seen that type of talent go straight into a PAC or Big 10 program.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:45 pm

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:

Thanks for the great info BBT! Are you a friend or relative to any of the players?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:50 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:44 pm
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:

Thanks for the info @BobcatBuiltTexan!

As to the recruiting, I'm damn glad they're gonna be Bobcats and excited to see what they can do in the Blue & Gold. I think the transfer portal has really changed high school recruiting. I believe that bigger schools are gonna go to the portal now to develop their rosters. Unless a kid is a 5-star recruit coming out of high school, bigger schools are gonna let smaller schools pick up these recruits and develop them. Spend 2-3 years at a program like MSU, where the athlete has a chance to develop their skills, get bigger in the weight room, and get on a nutritional regimen that sets them up for growth. Now that athlete is more desirable to bring into a bigger program and probably has the chance to make an immediate impact.

As a result, smaller FBS schools and FCS programs are going to get the chance to bring in high-level athletes like Boyd and McMillan, whereas in the past we may have seen that type of talent go straight into a PAC or Big 10 program.
That's a great analysis. I think that is definitely how things are going now. Jelani Watkins is one of the fastest kids in the nation. He is going to LSU, McMillan is literally the same size and only a touch slower. If you look at their HS careers McMillan's resume is every bit as impressive, but one goes SEC the other doesn't. It's a great example of how recruiting has changed.

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:54 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:45 pm
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:

Thanks for the great info BBT! Are you a friend or relative to any of the players?
Nope just have followed the mcmillan kid for a while. He has an older brother that is at Houston Christian, plays wr. I saw him first and was really impressed with him, so I started following him. Then his little brother hit the scene and impressed me even more....so I became a big fan of both of these kids. Once McMillan committed I started following MSU.....ya'll really got a good one. McMillan is a really good kid, like very mature, quiet, think barry sanders mentality. Doesn't like the limelight but isn't scared of the bright lights. Heck he barely even engages in social media..ya'll are getting a quality person and an awesome athlete.

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:57 pm

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:01 pm

Yeah thanks BBT for many of the details that make up the rest of the story.

I hope these players have great careers as Bobcats at MSU and come to realize that they were recruited to a higher level than they originally expected they were recruited to.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:11 pm

Thanks again BBT! As to your comment below, coach Vigen talked about this awhile back. Perhaps a few years ago, these kids would have been offered full rides to Texas. Things have changed. The big time programs can now cherry pick the best players in the country playing at lower divisions, after they've already been developed for a few years... and they know exactly what they're getting. Vigen said we (and other FCS programs) are now able to sign higher caliber players out of high school, then what was possible in the past.

"For the life of me I don't understand how any of these kids weren't more highly recruited."

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:21 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:01 pm

I hope these players have great careers as Bobcats at MSU and come to realize that they were recruited to a higher level than they originally expected they were recruited to.
I've spoken to McMillan's family and they are all extremely happy with being at MSU. They were his top choice for a long time but he couldn't commit until he came up to Bozeman. They all raved about the electric game day atmosphere, the high level facilities, the great feeling they all got from the players and the coaches, and how the fans actually interacted with them in the stands. All around they were made to feel really wanted and a priority. MSU did a great job solidifying his choice. They don't feel like he fell short, they feel he landed exactly where he was supposed to be and they are extremely happy about it.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:32 pm

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:21 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:01 pm

I've spoken to McMillan's family and they are all extremely happy with being at MSU. They were his top choice for a long time but he couldn't commit until he came up to Bozeman. They all raved about the electric game day atmosphere, the high level facilities, the great feeling they all got from the players and the coaches, and how the fans actually interacted with them in the stands. All around they were made to feel really wanted and a priority. MSU did a great job solidifying his choice. They don't feel like he fell short, they feel he landed exactly where he was supposed to be and they are extremely happy about it.
More good news. Thanks. I hope you can make it up to a game or a few games this fall.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:33 am

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:

The current DBs from Texas tend to bear this out:
Polidore (junior) starting safety as a sophomore 6’2”
Woodard (senior) starting corner since freshman season 5’11”
Powdrell (sophomore) started a few games at corner as a freshman 5’10”
Gray (RF) 6’ had a good spring.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:53 am

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:ya'll are getting a quality person and an awesome athlete.
That is great to hear but not surprising — that’s a Bobcat recruit to a T. He’ll fit right in.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:00 pm

Not a DB, but he was being recruited by MSU. Still hasn't committed to a school yet, that I know of anyway.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter