Spring Ball

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring Ball

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:51 pm

Talked to Marcus Wehr briefly about the offensive line priorities this spring. Also rapped about Matt Logie and Wazzu.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3FnEx7 ... d06e684822

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:31 pm

We talked quite a bit about the Clifton McDowell fiasco. But we also talked about Tommy Mellott having a new OC and a QB coach for his senior year and what impact that might have.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:31 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:31 pm
We talked quite a bit about the Clifton McDowell fiasco. But we also talked about Tommy Mellott having a new OC and a QB coach for his senior year and what impact that might have.

Based on this article, it looks like he was the best QB option Temple had on the table. Leaving after 5 practices? Sounds like a Culture of losing issue.
https://templefootballforever.com/tag/clifton-mcdowell/

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:25 am

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:31 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:31 pm

Based on this article, it looks like he was the best QB option Temple had on the table. Leaving after 5 practices? Sounds like a Culture of losing issue.
https://templefootballforever.com/tag/clifton-mcdowell/
Interesting but they should look at McDowell stats prior to last year. Not impressive. Found the right talent level and fit. Could be someone on the roster that was better in practice. Remember he didn't start at UM till part way thru season so either he picks up pmaybook slowly or doesn't show out in practice and maybe that happened again.

Sports is not bigger than life

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:44 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:21 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:23 pm

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:16 am

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:00 am

“Defensively I thought we flew around," Vigen said.

“We’ve gone a couple live drills in practice and I think we’ve tackled well,” he said. “Tackling is about understanding angles and leverage and then executing the technique. I think the guys have done a good job coaching that and the guys have done a good job executing.”

Biggest development IMO. It’s early, but this is an area that has room for improvement.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:11 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:00 am

“We’ve gone a couple live drills in practice and I think we’ve tackled well,” he said. “Tackling is about understanding angles and leverage and then executing the technique. I think the guys have done a good job coaching that and the guys have done a good job executing.”

Biggest development IMO. It’s early, but this is an area that has room for improvement.
I loved hearing that.

Also really got excited when he talked about the athleticism in the LB room right now, and then later he talked up Baby Grebe.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:57 am

I’m especially excited about seeing the defensive side of the ball and how they look with Daly and Howe calling the plays and setting the tone. Not to mention having one of my all time favorite Bobcats Jody Owens back on the field. This coaching staff is stacked with great teachers.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:44 am

Vigen made a comment about the DL needing to catch up I will take that as DT's. We have always lacked quality depth at DT. Hard to find big and athletic DT's at our level. I think we have some good players at DT but not great and I worry about even one injury and the effect it will have at that position.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:31 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:00 am

It’s a warehouse-sized area for improvement. 1v1 tackling was bad by the end of the season even when in decent position. Killed the team against NDSU.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:10 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:44 am
Vigen made a comment about the DL needing to catch up I will take that as DT's. We have always lacked quality depth at DT. Hard to find big and athletic DT's at our level. I think we have some good players at DT but not great and I worry about even one injury and the effect it will have at that position.
All but the elite P5 teams lack depth at DT. One very good DT at the FCS level can wreck an offense. Look at Gubner for UM last year. He might be the biggest individual player loss for any team in the conference.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:11 pm

gtapp wrote:
He also talked up Paul Brott.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:26 pm

gtapp wrote:
Hard to say without knowing who all is playing. Spring ball tends to have players sitting out or limited due to injury/surgery. With Valdez gone the position isn’t as good as it would’ve been but there seems to be a lot of talent there between Schmidt, Brott, and Black. Are any of them out? Then there’s Perkins, Eckert, Marsh and Sharbono, et al.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:21 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:26 pm
gtapp wrote:
Hard to say without knowing who all is playing. Spring ball tends to have players sitting out or limited due to injury/surgery. With Valdez gone the position isn’t as good as it would’ve been but there seems to be a lot of talent there between Schmidt, Brott, and Black. Are any of them out?
Not for sure who all is out. I see in the scrimmage that Sharbono played quite a bit

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:27 am

kwcat wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:21 am
TomCat88 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Hard to say without knowing who all is playing. Spring ball tends to have players sitting out or limited due to injury/surgery. With Valdez gone the position isn’t as good as it would’ve been but there seems to be a lot of talent there between Schmidt, Brott, and Black. Are any of them out?
Not for sure who all is out. I see in the scrimmage that Sharbono played quite a bit
Black is still recovering as far as I know.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

saintcat40
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by saintcat40 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:31 pm

I know this thought was mentioned earlier, but it seems like this year’s spring football is the least covered ever. There seems to be almost no news. Am I missing anything?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:51 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:27 am
kwcat wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:21 am
TomCat88 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Black is still recovering as far as I know.
He is still recovering. Not playing this Spring at all.