Keeton announced as new QB coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Keeton announced as new QB coach

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:18 pm

Already being discussed on another thread but here is the confirmation.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Keeton announced as new QB coach

Post by imacat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:41 pm

Welcome Coach Keeton!!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:50 pm

I like his connection with Udy. I like his Texas recruiting ties. Seems like a good fit.

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:59 pm

Very familiar…This is a solid hire!

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:20 pm

I like the fact that all he has to do is coach the Qb's.

GO CATS!!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:23 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:50 pm
I like his connection with Udy. I like his Texas recruiting ties. Seems like a good fit.
not true. primary recruiter for Texas.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:20 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:23 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wut?

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:04 am

This seems like a really, really, good hire.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:06 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:20 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:23 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wut?
Think he meant to reply to canyoncat.

I’m hearing lots of good things about Keeton.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:25 am

great hire

he was Jordan Love before Love at USU, and was Love's first QB coach there. Dude was unstoppable as a FR/SO in Logan - his playing career cut short by injuries, but he was something to watch

if he can coach QB's at all to the level he played, we're in for some fun

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:45 am

I coached against chuckie when he was in hs. HECK of a player. From the northwest side of Houston and has a lot of connective with houston area coaches. Very well respected in the area. Interesting that he begins the primary recruiter for Texas when it's been Bap. Bap has brought some fire from Texas to bozeman. I wouldn't mess with that formula. But both Bap and chuckie are from the Houston area so the connections still probably stay strong. I think it's good hell have the qbs because that frees up Howe to focus on the whole offense. Question I have is typically when someone becomes the oc from a position coach they typically lean on the position they coached. So do we think there will be a hyper focus on highlighting the TEs as opposed to highlighting the best attributes of our best players?
Last edited by BobcatBuiltTexan on Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:54 am

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:45 am
I Visage against chuckie when he was in hs. HECK of a player. From the northwest side of Houston and has a lot of connective with houston area coaches. Very well respected in the area. Interesting that he begins the primary recruiter for Texas when it's been Bap. Bap has brought some fire from Texas to bozeman. I wouldn't mess with that formula. But both Bap and chuckie are from the Houston area so the connections still probably stay strong. I think it's good hell have the qbs because that frees up Howe to focus on the whole offense. Question I have is typically when someone becomes the oc from a position coach they typically lean on the position they coached. So do we think there will be a hyper focus on highlighting the TEs as opposed to highlighting the best attributes of our best players?
Guessing you mean Walker here. He's a former WR, so I don't think the same thing applies. His best TE's from last year are gone. Our HC is a former TE and I'm hoping they utilize the TE a lot, but I don't think it will be to the detriment of other positions.

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:01 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:54 am
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:45 am
I Visage against chuckie when he was in hs. HECK of a player. From the northwest side of Houston and has a lot of connective with houston area coaches. Very well respected in the area. Interesting that he begins the primary recruiter for Texas when it's been Bap. Bap has brought some fire from Texas to bozeman. I wouldn't mess with that formula. But both Bap and chuckie are from the Houston area so the connections still probably stay strong. I think it's good hell have the qbs because that frees up Howe to focus on the whole offense. Question I have is typically when someone becomes the oc from a position coach they typically lean on the position they coached. So do we think there will be a hyper focus on highlighting the TEs as opposed to highlighting the best attributes of our best players?
Guessing you mean Walker here. He's a former WR, so I don't think the same thing applies. His best TE's from last year are gone. Our HC is a former TE and I'm hoping they utilize the TE a lot, but I don't think it will be to the detriment of other positions.
Yes my bad...walker... got em confused my apologies.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:48 pm

Always exciting to get a new position coach. Welcome aboard.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:56 am

Would really like to see us bring in a portal QB that has the ability to come in and play the roll that Chambers did. Not saying that the guys behind Tommy aren’t good, but I think maybe they need a little more time to learn.

Punters are people too!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:29 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:56 am
Would really like to see us bring in a portal QB that has the ability to come in and play the roll that Chambers did. Not saying that the guys behind Tommy aren’t good, but I think maybe they need a little more time to learn.
we need to play those existing QBs and find out who can play and who cant before we start complaining about needing a transfer.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:09 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:29 am
GoCats18 wrote:
we need to play those existing QBs and find out who can play and who cant before we start complaining about needing a transfer.
I'll go ahead and trust the coaching staff that sees these guys in practice every day to decide whether or not MSU needs a QB transfer. Chambers was a very unique player, you can't just go out in the portal and find another guy as good as he was.

Then there's also the question of whether the available QB transfers who would consider coming to MSU knowing they won't be the starter are worth one of the few roster spots they still have open to fill for next year.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:37 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:09 am
Montanabob wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
I'll go ahead and trust the coaching staff that sees these guys in practice every day to decide whether or not MSU needs a QB transfer. Chambers was a very unique player, you can't just go out in the portal and find another guy as good as he was.

Then there's also the question of whether the available QB transfers who would consider coming to MSU knowing they won't be the starter are worth one of the few roster spots they still have open to fill for next year.
It was a special circumstance that got Chambers to MSU. You can’t rule it out happening again but it’s unlikely.

It’ll be interesting to see how the offense operates with Mellott as the sole starter at quarterback. The coaches obviously know that he’s injury prone so they’ll have someone ready if he goes down.

We’ll find out how they feel about Reed, who looked good last year in mop up duty, this spring. It’ll be interesting to see what they think about Wilson after his second spring session. If MSU comes out of spring ball without a solid backup, then they will certainly be looking. However, it doesn’t seem likely. I don’t think you can rule out Abshire or Duchein but it seems like the #2 spot is between Reed and Wilson.

I think the passing game will open up a lot next season with Alexander on the field. He and McCullouch will be tough to defend downfield. It’s going to be interesting seeing how the offense changes and develops.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:46 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:37 am
MSU01 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:

It was a special circumstance that got Chambers to MSU. You can’t rule it out happening again but it’s unlikely.

It’ll be interesting to see how the offense operates with Mellott as the sole starter at quarterback. The coaches obviously know that he’s injury prone so they’ll have someone ready if he goes down.

We’ll find out how they feel about Reed, who looked good last year in mop up duty, this spring. It’ll be interesting to see what they think about Wilson after his second spring session. If MSU comes out of spring ball without a solid backup, then they will certainly be looking. However, it doesn’t seem likely. I don’t think you can rule out Abshire or Duchein but it seems like the #2 spot is between Reed and Wilson.

I think the passing game will open up a lot next season with Alexander on the field. He and McCullouch will be tough to defend downfield. It’s going to be interesting seeing how the offense changes and develops.
Is he injury prone or unlucky?. I would think injury prone would be more non contact or nagging injuries. His ankle, concussion, first knee of 23 and last knee of 23 seem to all be hit related. Maybe they are things others could bounce back from quicker than he did. Seems like he has had so.e bad luck.

Sports is not bigger than life

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:36 am

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:46 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:37 am
MSU01 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:

Is he injury prone or unlucky?. I would think injury prone would be more non contact or nagging injuries. His ankle, concussion, first knee of 23 and last knee of 23 seem to all be hit related. Maybe they are things others could bounce back from quicker than he did. Seems like he has had so.e bad luck.
I think it would be bad luck if he was a traditional QB and had that many injuries. He's injury prone due to his style of play. He's not going to stop playing the way he does and he's not going to stop getting injured.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!