New Mexico Recruits for Mendenhall

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

New Mexico Recruits for Mendenhall

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:16 am

He's been pretty active in the portal and has picked up some decent linemen.

https://www.abqjournal.com/sports/unm-f ... 2596a.html

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: New Mexico Recruits for Mendenhall

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:40 am

UNM's recruiting class so far is 2 high school players and 19 transfers. MSU's recruiting class so far is 18 high school players and 3 transfers. No wonder there's more talent for FCS schools to find in the high school ranks these days.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:00 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:40 am
UNM's recruiting class so far is 2 high school players and 19 transfers. MSU's recruiting class so far is 18 high school players and 3 transfers. No wonder there's more talent for FCS schools to find in the high school ranks these days.
That may say more about the state of UNM's program than it says about where high school talent is going.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:15 am

Looking over that list of transfers…. Pretty underwhelming. Wasn’t really one addition on that list that stood out to me as a “big” signing.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:31 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:15 am
Looking over that list of transfers…. Pretty underwhelming. Wasn’t really one addition on that list that stood out to me as a “big” signing.
Well, we will find out about "big."

OL signee's metrics:
6''2"---333
6'6"---332
6'5"---320
6'3"---315
6'3"---300
6'4"---310
6'2"---302
6'3"---310

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:53 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:15 am
The rb from Iowa State sounds good. The OL signees are almost all from FCS schools and not particularly strong ones. Seems like Mendenhall is trying to build some depth which is very important for spring ball.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:29 am

MSU01 wrote:
Just guessing but with the portal maybe the FCS teams will be picking up the talented HS prospects and developing them a bit. If someone shows a lot of promise after their redhirt and freshmen year they will move on an FBS team. We're going to be like the JV squad in HS.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:05 pm

seataccat wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:29 am
MSU01 wrote:
Just guessing but with the portal maybe the FCS teams will be picking up the talented HS prospects and developing them a bit. If someone shows a lot of promise after their redhirt and freshmen year they will move on an FBS team. We're going to be like the JV squad in HS.
Maybe like jv squad if playing FBS teams all season. But likely find in FCS.

Sports is not bigger than life

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:20 pm

seataccat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Right now, you've got hundreds if not thousands of players floating around out there with extra years of eligibility from 2020. FBS teams are making use of the transfer portal to pick off the best of that talent and focusing less on signing high school players who they'd need to develop for a year or two (or more) before they see the field. This is an opportunity for schools like MSU to go after some very good high school players who in a non-Covid world would likely have had more or better FBS offers. My guess is that after 2025 when all of the Covid players will be out of eligibility, we'll see things go back closer to normal with far fewer players transferring multiple times or as grad transfers. The FCS will certainly continue to act somewhat as a farm system, with players like Omar and Valdez who have FBS talent but slipped through the cracks in their initial recruitment having the chance to move up if they choose.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:19 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:20 pm
seataccat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Right now, you've got hundreds if not thousands of players floating around out there with extra years of eligibility from 2020. FBS teams are making use of the transfer portal to pick off the best of that talent and focusing less on signing high school players who they'd need to develop for a year or two (or more) before they see the field. This is an opportunity for schools like MSU to go after some very good high school players who in a non-Covid world would likely have had more or better FBS offers. My guess is that after 2025 when all of the Covid players will be out of eligibility, we'll see things go back closer to normal with far fewer players transferring multiple times or as grad transfers. The FCS will certainly continue to act somewhat as a farm system, with players like Omar and Valdez who have FBS talent but slipped through the cracks in their initial recruitment having the chance to move up if they choose.
Yes, and Vigen actually talked about this and commented that we were able to a higher level of talent with out high school kids than in years past, because the FBS teams were going after more portal players versus HS. I agree this will level back a bit after all the covid stuff is done, but it's forever changed now with the portal and NIL.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:03 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:19 pm
MSU01 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Yes, and Vigen actually talked about this and commented that we were able to a higher level of talent with out high school kids than in years past, because the FBS teams were going after more portal players versus HS. I agree this will level back a bit after all the covid stuff is done, but it's forever changed now with the portal and NIL.
Have we picked up high school recruits during Vigen's tenure that we wouldn't have pre-portal/NIL? There have always been guys we've gotten because FBS teams didn't look at them or believe in them but are we really getting guys that those teams would have signed in the "old days"? To me it's more likely that G5 teams will get better/more high school recruits and we'll only be minorly impacted.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:19 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:03 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:19 pm
MSU01 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Have we picked up high school recruits during Vigen's tenure that we wouldn't have pre-portal/NIL? There have always been guys we've gotten because FBS teams didn't look at them or believe in them but are we really getting guys that those teams would have signed in the "old days"? To me it's more likely that G5 teams will get better/more high school recruits and we'll only be minorly impacted.
When you look at how young the O-Line is (as the big example) I'd say yes. Having had great coaches & good transfer success over the last few years makes MSU a really appealing option for a HS student looking at a place to develop for a couple years.

MSU has consistently offered G5 caliber players & out competed G5 schools for those players for at least 10 years...I think maybe the Cats are just making a few more offers than in the past.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:54 pm

Sorry, late to the party here. Am I missing something as to why we should care about New Mexico recruits?

I'm not mad at the thread, just confused by it.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:01 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:54 pm
Sorry, late to the party here. Am I missing something as to why we should care about New Mexico recruits?

who is our fbs game with in 2024?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:06 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:01 pm
wbtfg wrote:

Ah! I knew I was missing something.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:35 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:06 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:01 pm
wbtfg wrote:

Ah! I knew I was missing something.
Glad someone asked, I’ve been scratching my head for days…🤣🤣

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:22 am

Here's to hoping history repeats itself to start Bronco's tenure at a new school

Bronco Mendenhall's first year as HC at Virgina they went 2-10 and finished dead last in the ACC

Their first game they were dominated by Richmond 37-20, an FCS school, where Richmond was up 30-7 going into the 4th quarter. Richmond finished 10-4 and 4th in the CAA. Richmond received an at-large birth in the playoffs, beating NC AT&T then North Dakota, before losing to Eastern Washington 38-0 in the quarters.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:42 pm

I like that we’ll be playing an FBS school that (most likely) will not be in the Top-25 or -40 or whatever. We’ve really been punching above our weight with Oregon State, Texas A&M, Utah, etc. I think this is a great matchup of more similar schools — and I fully expect the ‘Cats to prevail. 💙 💛 😺