Wayyyyyy too early 2024 predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Wayyyyyy to early 2024 predictions

Post by coloradocat » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:40 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:48 pm
PortlandCat90 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:26 pm
There's no way we should be discussing a National Championship and losing to UNM in the same paragraph. I've seen two final power polls where they sit no higher than 111 out of 133 FBS teams. Two of their four wins were against the last-place power poll team (UMass) and one was against Tennessee Tech. We should beat these guys by 2 TDs if we are the FCS powerhouse that we think we should be.

I'm going out there and saying that we finally protect Mellott like we should and are undefeated going into Cat-Griz.

I also predict my schedule will once again allow me to have the timely weekly Look-A-Like thread done by Sunday night each week, despite the loud cries of a few chosen stating that I am a bully for picking on young boys.
In this transfer portal era, rebuilds take far less time than they used to. Bronco Mendenhall COULD get some guys in there that make them instantly better. Not saying they're making the playoff, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a recognizable name could attract some talent there and potentially get them to, say, top 50. I'm not predicting this is going to happen, just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility, and if MSU loses to them it doesn't have to mean we don't have a chance to run the table after that. Should be a VERY winnable game though no matter what he brings in.
A new coach and a bunch of portal transfers can only do so much, especially for the first game of the season. If we can't beat a bottom 50 FBS team (and that's generous, bottom 30 is more likely) when we're as healthy as we'll be all year we'll have to reassess our ceiling. Win and an undefeated regular season is possible. Lose and it probably signals at least one FCS loss.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:12 am

I just want us to get back to being good in September but constantly improving all year until we're peaking in November/December like we seemed to for the 5 or so years prior to this one.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:54 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:40 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:48 pm
PortlandCat90 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:26 pm
There's no way we should be discussing a National Championship and losing to UNM in the same paragraph. I've seen two final power polls where they sit no higher than 111 out of 133 FBS teams. Two of their four wins were against the last-place power poll team (UMass) and one was against Tennessee Tech. We should beat these guys by 2 TDs if we are the FCS powerhouse that we think we should be.

I'm going out there and saying that we finally protect Mellott like we should and are undefeated going into Cat-Griz.

I also predict my schedule will once again allow me to have the timely weekly Look-A-Like thread done by Sunday night each week, despite the loud cries of a few chosen stating that I am a bully for picking on young boys.
In this transfer portal era, rebuilds take far less time than they used to. Bronco Mendenhall COULD get some guys in there that make them instantly better. Not saying they're making the playoff, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a recognizable name could attract some talent there and potentially get them to, say, top 50. I'm not predicting this is going to happen, just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility, and if MSU loses to them it doesn't have to mean we don't have a chance to run the table after that. Should be a VERY winnable game though no matter what he brings in.
A new coach and a bunch of portal transfers can only do so much, especially for the first game of the season. If we can't beat a bottom 50 FBS team (and that's generous, bottom 30 is more likely) when we're as healthy as we'll be all year we'll have to reassess our ceiling. Win and an undefeated regular season is possible. Lose and it probably signals at least one FCS loss.
I mean, Deion Sanders got a really bad Colorado team to be pretty competitive by their first game. The year before they were 1-11 and not remotely competitive in those losses. I'm not saying Bronco can get THAT done, but he could find a few dudes and put something together. We've got some things to figure out too on our end. I still think the Cats go down there and get it done, but I think an FBS game--possibly in sweltering heat, against a team with a proven head coach, with two brand new coordinators for us--shouldn't be a game MSU has to win to be a contender for a National Championship. Yes, if UNM has not made any significant improvements over last year, I'm with you 100%. I'm just saying it's very possible that they are considerably better.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:03 am

To me the only real damaging result in the New Mexico game would be to go down there and get blown out. If MSU can be competitive like they were against Wyoming in 2021, whether they win or lose the game ultimately we'll know they have the talent to make a deep run in the playoffs. Games played in August are so far away from games played in December that you can't really draw any definitive conclusions. UM's team last year is the perfect example, they appeared to be completely in shambles during the month of September but improved throughout the year and were good enough to earn the #2 seed by the end of the season.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:08 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:12 am
I just want us to get back to being good in September but constantly improving all year until we're peaking in November/December like we seemed to for the 5 or so years prior to this one.
I couldnt agree more with this post.

Hating the griz since 02.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:05 pm

We’ll be maybe as good as ‘23. Unlikely better. Possibly a little worse. Bunch of rookie coaches. Key losses on our O and D Lines. I’d say the ‘23 record is about par.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:22 pm

Counter Assault wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:05 pm
We’ll be maybe as good as ‘23. Unlikely better. Possibly a little worse. Bunch of rookie coaches. Key losses on our O and D Lines. I’d say the ‘23 record is about par.
I didn’t know the Griz were getting a bunch of new coaches. It’ll be tough to go 10-1 again.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:18 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:22 pm
Counter Assault wrote:
I didn’t know the Griz were getting a bunch of new coaches. It’ll be tough to go 10-1 again.
Don’t follow? Is this insinuating you think I am a Griz after 10+ years of posting on this site?

How are my thoughts inaccurate? New, super young, OC’s and DC’s. Lost two O-line starters, our best interior D-line starter. Chambers no longer there if Tommy goes down. Tommy remains unproven as a tradition passer.

I am truly thinking a realistic assumption is that we are about as good in ‘24 vs. ‘23. We were stacked in ‘23 and had coaching failures and injuries.

My further apologies if I do not echo the always super Pollyannish sentiment that pervades this site.

Where do you disagree with my thinking? Love to hear it.

Catprint
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Catprint » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:01 pm

Counter Assault wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:18 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
Don’t follow? Is this insinuating you think I am a Griz after 10+ years of posting on this site?

How are my thoughts inaccurate? New, super young, OC’s and DC’s. Lost two O-line starters, our best interior D-line starter. Chambers no longer there if Tommy goes down. Tommy remains unproven as a tradition passer.

I am truly thinking a realistic assumption is that we are about as good in ‘24 vs. ‘23. We were stacked in ‘23 and had coaching failures and injuries.

My further apologies if I do not echo the always super Pollyannish sentiment that pervades this site.

I just don't get the point of accusing someone of being a troll. I agree with you. Definitely valid points made. The O line losses are huge and who knows if JT will be healthy. New coaches can be good or bad. Maybe 50/50 in this case. Don't know what happened at the end of the season but did not go well for Cats. Tommy has not been healthy for an entire season so that is huge risk factor. There is no proven #2 QB. I think 10-2 or even 9-3 is more likely than 12-0 or 11-1. Yes, UNM is not a great team but still a road game and lots of unknowns. I think 10-2 is an ok prediction as our road schedule a whole lot better.... but it is way too early!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:14 pm

Counter Assault wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:

Sorry, didn’t realize you were a longtime Cat fan. Your post threw me off, I guess. So you think msu is an 8-3 team next year and 1 and done in the playoffs, which is an opinion that you’re entitled to.

MSU, imho, probably has the top OL/DL combo in the nation next year. 2024 was, imho, the year MSU was building for until its defense went above and beyond anyone’s expectations until midseason in 2023. They still have work to do as the defense trended downward last year.

Sports are hard to predict. So much can happen from one game to the next. MSU was the FCS version of the Philadelphia Eagles, Atlanta Braves, LA Dodgers, Baltimore Orioles, Boston Bruins… I have no problem with that. It happens and sometimes teams never recover. MSU could do that but I think it will take a lot of unforeseen negative circumstances for that to happen.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:16 pm

Catprint wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:01 pm
Counter Assault wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:

I just don't get the point of accusing someone of being a troll. I agree with you. Definitely valid points made. The O line losses are huge and who knows if JT will be healthy. New coaches can be good or bad. Maybe 50/50 in this case. Don't know what happened at the end of the season but did not go well for Cats. Tommy has not been healthy for an entire season so that is huge risk factor. There is no proven #2 QB. I think 10-2 or even 9-3 is more likely than 12-0 or 11-1. Yes, UNM is not a great team but still a road game and lots of unknowns. I think 10-2 is an ok prediction as our road schedule a whole lot better.... but it is way too early!!
I don’t get the point of accusing someone of accusing someone of being a troll, or are you just trolling?

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:08 pm

When making 2024 predictions be sure to account for Lonyatta Alexander, Jr.

Also keep in mind that MSU has an excellent developmental program. Not too many people knew of the impact Polidore, Crews, Moore, White, Humphrey, McCullouch, White among others would have in 2023.

toM StUber

Catprint
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Catprint » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:13 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:16 pm
Catprint wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:01 pm
Counter Assault wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:

I don’t get the point of accusing someone of accusing someone of being a troll, or are you just trolling?
Touche! You are right. My apology.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:08 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:08 pm
I don't think I would add wins or losses to a preseason prediction based on one player without seeing him play first. I say that even though I'm excited about Alexander. If he's as good as Ravi Alston or Nate Stewart, that's a fine player, but he wouldn't change the expectations for a whole team. If he's another Travis Jonsen or Lance McCutcheon on the outside, then he can open up the entire offense...but of course, there aren't a lot of those guys

I'd also be more excited if I actually knew they were going to use him on the outside.

Anyway, I'm going 9-2. One of the losses will be to NM, UM, or Idaho, and specifically to whichever of those three teams is actually good this year. The other will be to whomever is this year's surprise team in the Big Sky

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:26 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:08 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:08 pm
I don't think I would add wins or losses to a preseason prediction based on one player without seeing him play first. I say that even though I'm excited about Alexander. If he's as good as Ravi Alston or Nate Stewart, that's a fine player, but he wouldn't change the expectations for a whole team. If he's another Travis Jonsen or Lance McCutcheon on the outside, then he can open up the entire offense...but of course, there aren't a lot of those guys

I'd also be more excited if I actually knew they were going to use him on the outside.

Anyway, I'm going 9-2. One of the losses will be to NM, UM, or Idaho, and specifically to whichever of those three teams is actually good this year. The other will be to whomever is this year's surprise team in the Big Sky
That’s fair on Alexander. It’s a 12-game schedule this year. No idea why you think Idaho might beat MSU other than they always seem to give the Bobcats a good run no matter how bad they are. Did they get some studs out of the portal? Oddly, UM almost always plays well against the Vandals and MSU does not.

MSU’s biggest strength is its OL/DL. That will carry it a long ways barring lots of injuries. At this point I think MSU will lose a game to either at New Mexico or at UC Davis. I think 12-0 is more likely than 10-2. Other top contenders for BSC title are Weber, Davis and UM, maybe SAC.

toM StUber

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Wayyyyyy too early 2024 predictions

Post by jgrilley406 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:51 pm

Whether the cats make it to Frisco or not next year is gonna come down to cat/griz again…very few teams that make it play on the road in the semi’s and both cats and griz will be highly ranked yet again next brawl, so winner of that game will be going to Frisco yet again in 2024.
Last edited by jgrilley406 on Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:26 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:51 pm
Whether the cats make it to Frisco or not next, is gonna come down to cat/griz again…very few teams that make it play on the road in the semi’s and both cats and griz will be highly ranked yet again next brawl, so winner of that game will be going to Frisco yet again in 2024.
I think you are correct. Would not be surprised if it’s for the big sky again as well.

Glad cat-griz is in bozeman this year!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:46 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Whether the cats make it to Frisco or not next year is gonna come down to cat/griz again…very few teams that make it play on the road in the semi’s and both cats and griz will be highly ranked yet again next brawl, so winner of that game will be going to Frisco yet again in 2024.
Like happened in 2019? :wink:

toM StUber

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:58 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
I agree with this.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:21 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:58 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
I agree with this.
Was the 2021 season really that long ago?