2024 Offense. No new quarterbacks.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

2024 Offense. No new quarterbacks.

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:22 am

Finally got to listen to Coach Vigen’s press conference on the signing class. His comments in the presser on recruiting Qbs really raised my interest in the QB situation and the offense for next year. “One position that we didn’t recruit this year was quarterback, that was pretty intentional from the start with our depth especially our young depth that we do feel really good about.” This makes me really excited because if he thinks they’re good I’m guessing they’re pretty good. So what does that portend for next year?

First Tommy will be QB1 in a one quarterback offense. I think this is good. I loved Chambers and in the Cat/gris game prediction thread I even suggested he start. I just believe that our offense will flow better with one QB1. Tommy does everything well except pound it up the middle and Davis and the other Rbs should be able to handle that and I would actually prefer that. If we need a tush push now and then Tommy can handle that easily. Tommy’s passing game has developed very well. Could it be one of the best in the conference? Add to that his running game and I think he’s odds on favorite to be conference MVP.

What could hurt us at QB? Obviously injuries. As many have pointed out Tommy has been injured and missed playing time every season so far. I don’t remember all his injuries but I know the first one, against NDSU, was on a passing play, the one against SDSU he wasn’t playing QB and didn’t even have the ball, and the last one against NDSU he was the primary ball carrier on a rushing play. So injuries happen in many ways. I think he can get better at getting down or out of bounds on running plays but I think in some sense you just have to be lucky and so far he hasn’t been.

Our running back group is strong! IMO we have 3 backs that would start at most schools in the conference, Davis, White, and Humphrey maybe 4 with Elliot. Hope the injury bug doesn’t bite us there again.

Our O line lost some guys but from what Vim says he thinks they will be fine, enough said.

Receiving core, should be good with the returners as there are some potential stars there, as long as they can block.

Huge loss with the Tight Ends so that is a wait and see. I see this as the biggest potential drop off from the 2023 season.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2024 Offense. No new quarterbacks.

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:53 am

It’s going to be interesting seeing how Mellott does and the fan reaction if he’s the lone quarterback.

MSU has a better chance of winning the championship in 2024 than it had in 2023 for various reasons. One of them is what I think will be better quarterback play. I think Mellott operating at full tilt, like he did in 2021, will be a factor in that. I also think the backups are going to be better. Mellott and Chambers were a great 1-2 punch but the act of running them in and out seemed to effect them and the coaches never seemed to get good at it in terms of timing and maintaining a flow with it. They needed that to be an art form and it never was. It never seemed like either knew when they were going in or coming out. Of course, having just one starting quarterback resolves that.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:55 am

The 2021 NDSU injury in Frisco was from being ankle tackled while running up the middle, wasn’t it? I’m excited to see if Chance Wilson can step up. He’s the kind of dual-threat QB that complements Mellott and keeps the offense similar if he’s as advertised.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:03 am

Let's hope Jordan Reed is ready to take the reins. There's no reason to believe Tommy can make it through a full season so we'll need him to step up.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:33 am

Who's in the qb room now?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:48 am

lutecat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:33 am
Mellott
Reed
Abshire
Wilson
Duchein

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:49 am

lutecat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:33 am
2024 Roster
4) Tommy Mellott 6'0" 209 lbs Senior
9) Luke Abshire 6'1" 191 lbs Sophmore
12) Jordan Reed 6'6" 214 lbs Sophmore
13) Chance Wilson 6'3" 189 lbs Redshirt Freshman
15) Patrick Duchien 6'2" 213 lbs Redshirt Freshman

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:52 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:22 am
Finally got to listen to Coach Vigen’s press conference on the signing class. His comments in the presser on recruiting Qbs really raised my interest in the QB situation and the offense for next year. “One position that we didn’t recruit this year was quarterback, that was pretty intentional from the start with our depth especially our young depth that we do feel really good about.” This makes me really excited because if he thinks they’re good I’m guessing they’re pretty good. So what does that portend for next year?

First Tommy will be QB1 in a one quarterback offense. I think this is good. I loved Chambers and in the Cat/gris game prediction thread I even suggested he start. I just believe that our offense will flow better with one QB1. Tommy does everything well except pound it up the middle and Davis and the other Rbs should be able to handle that and I would actually prefer that. If we need a tush push now and then Tommy can handle that easily. Tommy’s passing game has developed very well. Could it be one of the best in the conference? Add to that his running game and I think he’s odds on favorite to be conference MVP.

What could hurt us at QB? Obviously injuries. As many have pointed out Tommy has been injured and missed playing time every season so far. I don’t remember all his injuries but I know the first one, against NDSU, was on a passing play, the one against SDSU he wasn’t playing QB and didn’t even have the ball, and the last one against NDSU he was the primary ball carrier on a rushing play. So injuries happen in many ways. I think he can get better at getting down or out of bounds on running plays but I think in some sense you just have to be lucky and so far he hasn’t been.

Our running back group is strong! IMO we have 3 backs that would start at most schools in the conference, Davis, White, and Humphrey maybe 4 with Elliot. Hope the injury bug doesn’t bite us there again.

Our O line lost some guys but from what Vim says he thinks they will be fine, enough said.

Receiving core, should be good with the returners as there are some potential stars there, as long as they can block.

Huge loss with the Tight Ends so that is a wait and see. I see this as the biggest potential drop off from the 2023 season.
Missed couple games after being knocked out of the EWU game. I’m glad to hear that cats have a younger qb in the room that he feels could be a future starting qb here, but think it’d be pretty foolish not to bring in a graduate transfer or some other qb with starting experience who could step in right away if need be.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:43 am

Long Time Cat wrote:

What?? Pretty sure I said exactly what Vigen said about not getting another QB and multiple experts here said I was crazy.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:50 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:43 am
Long Time Cat wrote:

What?? Pretty sure I said exactly what Vigen said about not getting another QB and multiple experts here said I was crazy.
They did offer at least one quarterback but he went somewhere else.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

SparkCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by SparkCat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:52 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:03 am
Let's hope Jordan Reed is ready to take the reins. There's no reason to believe Tommy can make it through a full season so we'll need him to step up.
I could honestly see Wilson leap frogging Reed. This is mostly just opinion, however, it would not surprise me.

SparkCat

Post by SparkCat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:54 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:

Watching some videos and clips of our Maine transfer, Jones, I really think he’ll make an immediate impact in Snell’s role. Maybe not at Snell level, but I think he will impress.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:07 pm

SparkCat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:52 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:03 am
I could honestly see Wilson leap frogging Reed. This is mostly just opinion, however, it would not surprise me.
Well if that happens then I will feel extremely good about our top three QBs. Jordan really impressed me when he played this season, and he will only get better with meaningful game snaps.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

fsburr1
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by fsburr1 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:14 pm

Based just on what I see at practice I think Reed is ready to play. He's an accurate passer with a quick release and (although not Chambers) can run. Wilson isn't there yet but did make progress this year.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:30 pm

I guess Spring ball will be more interesting this year. We shall see if Wilson can make the leap over Reed or not. I only saw Wilson in the Spring game last season, so I'm not sure of his skill set yet. I really wish the Cats could have got Wilson some game reps this past season. Reed will be a 3rd year sophomore and Wilson a 2nd year freshman. Looks like fun.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:08 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:43 am
Long Time Cat wrote:

you thought they were calling you crazy because of what you said on that one post? Body of work man. Body of work.
😆 🤣 😂 😹

SparkCat

Post by SparkCat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:43 pm

fsburr1 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:14 pm
Based just on what I see at practice I think Reed is ready to play. He's an accurate passer with a quick release and (although not Chambers) can run. Wilson isn't there yet but did make progress this year.
Thats awesome to hear! I always love the position competitions. Honestly, last spring during the scrimmage Abshire really impressed me.

fsburr1
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by fsburr1 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:57 pm

Abshire is probably the most accurate passer we have.

Bear Spray II
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bear Spray II » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:37 pm

After Tommy, who is the fastest QB?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:43 pm

Bear Spray II wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:37 pm
After Tommy, who is the fastest QB?
Wilson indicated he had 4.44 40 speed, so I'd say it's probably him.
https://twitter.com/ChanceWilson15