Spring Playoffs

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Spring Playoffs

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:16 pm

Latest consensus seems to be a 16 team field, with automatic qualifiers keeping their AQ spot. Would start on April 18th.

That would be 10 AQs, with 6 at-large spots.

That would mean the Cats would start the season around February 13th or the 20th. Would Cat/Griz be on April 10th then? Bleh.

Last edited by CelticCat on Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring Playoffs

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:19 pm

Luckily during that time of year, it’s usually a balmy -20 below zero in bozeman. Ha. This will be interesting.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:29 pm

Still say it won't happen. The Big Ten is talking about a spring season at indoor venues only for a reason.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:23 pm

Setting the playoffs is the easy part. The hard part is the basic logistics of practices and games.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:20 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:23 pm
Setting the playoffs is the easy part. The hard part is the basic logistics of practices and games.
Even that part is pretty easy. The difficulty will be dealing with the fear. We’ll still have cases. Probably more than now. We have some people in the hospital. If it’s way too dangerous today, it will be then.

I just don’t see it happening. They’ll want to play just like they do know. The coaches will wanna coach just like they do now. But unless people say enough is enough, I think we’ll be in very similar situations, maybe a bit worse, in January than we are now.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:37 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:20 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Even that part is pretty easy. The difficulty will be dealing with the fear. We’ll still have cases. Probably more than now. We have some people in the hospital. If it’s way too dangerous today, it will be then.

I just don’t see it happening. They’ll want to play just like they do know. The coaches will wanna coach just like they do now. But unless people say enough is enough, I think we’ll be in very similar situations, maybe a bit worse, in January than we are now.
I should have been more specific. Weather and field conditions.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:41 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:19 pm
Luckily during that time of year, it’s usually a balmy -20 below zero in bozeman. Ha. This will be interesting.
The Bozeman temp range from February through May is nearly identical to Sept. through Dec.

Feb 38, Dec. 34
March 46, Nov. 43
Apr 56, Oct. 58
May 65, Sept. 72

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:49 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:41 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
The Bozeman temp range from February through May is nearly identical to Sept. through Dec.

Feb 38, Dec. 34
March 46, Nov. 43
Apr 56, Oct. 58
May 65, Sept. 72
The amount of precipitation and humidity, however, is not. I'll take the relatively dry cold of late November over the wet, slushy cold of early March every time. March is by far my least favorite month in Montana, specifically because of the crummy, unpredictable nature of the weather.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:08 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:37 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Yes that’s my point. That won’t matter either if we’re still in the same place socially. Players and coaches were ready to go months ago. They’ll be ready in January. They’ll practice and play on whatever fields are available. But if we’re “worse” than we are now, whereas it’s not safe to play sports and kids can’t go to school all week..... I don’t see that changing.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:36 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:08 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:37 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Yes that’s my point. That won’t matter either if we’re still in the same place socially. Players and coaches were ready to go months ago. They’ll be ready in January. They’ll practice and play on whatever fields are available. But if we’re “worse” than we are now, whereas it’s not safe to play sports and kids can’t go to school all week..... I don’t see that changing.
I think you're going to vaccines by then...plus we have home field advantage playing in the balmy Bozone in the Spring. Things are looking up! 8)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:31 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:49 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Feb 38, Dec. 34
March 46, Nov. 43
Apr 56, Oct. 58
May 65, Sept. 72
The amount of precipitation and humidity, however, is not. I'll take the relatively dry cold of late November over the wet, slushy cold of early March every time. March is by far my least favorite month in Montana, specifically because of the crummy, unpredictable nature of the weather.
True about the humidity, but the players will be more acclimated in March coming out of January, than coming out of September into November. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear some players and coaches say they prefer spring over fall. I’m outside all winter and personally I find late winter feels a lot warmer than early winter.

Keep in mind playing in 80-90 degree heat isn’t much fun either.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

The Big Meowski
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by The Big Meowski » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:16 am

TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Feb 38, Dec. 34
March 46, Nov. 43
Apr 56, Oct. 58
May 65, Sept. 72
I hate it when someone uses facts to change my mind! I prefer to be lied to and intimidated!

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:15 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:16 pm
Latest consensus seems to be a 16 team field, with automatic qualifiers keeping their AQ spot. Would start on April 18th.

That would mean the Cats would start the season around February 13th or the 20th. Would Cat/Griz be on April 10th then? Bleh.

Might not make a huge difference, but April 18 is a Sunday, which probably means that's the week of April 18 and Cat/Griz could be April 17. The first playoff games would be on the 23rd or 24th. If the Cats play an 8 game schedule with no bye weeks, they could start as late as February 27. I don't think that'll happen, so with one bye week somewhere in there, they would probably start Feb 20.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:45 am

this is weird, if it happens

some playoff teams will play their entire regular season this fall

some playoff teams will only play in the spring

some playoff teams will play both this fall and in the spring

The Big Sky auto-qualifier will play no fall games, but play straight through the spring schedule, without a break, have a playoff game(s).

NDSU may play ONE game this fall, then pick it up again in a spring schedule.

Right now, SFA has 5 games scheduled this fall, 3 of them FBS teams, a DII team, and an FCS team. Then in the spring, play a full Conference schedule.

Central Arkansas has 8 fall games scheduled, then a full Southland conference schedule in the spring? Last season, they had 9 conference games, so is this possible for some teams like UCA to have played 17 games (fall + spring) PRIOR to the playoffs??? Versus some playoff teams having only played 7 or 8 games in the spring??

MSUBRONCO
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUBRONCO » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:23 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:15 am
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:16 pm

Might not make a huge difference, but April 18 is a Sunday, which probably means that's the week of April 18 and Cat/Griz could be April 17. The first playoff games would be on the 23rd or 24th. If the Cats play an 8 game schedule with no bye weeks, they could start as late as February 27. I don't think that'll happen, so with one bye week somewhere in there, they would probably start Feb 20.
PLEASE HAVE CAT/GRIZ ON APRIL 17TH!! cats beating the griz again would be an awesome birthday present!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:11 pm

JDoub wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:45 am

The Big Sky auto-qualifier will play no fall games, but play straight through the spring schedule, without a break, have a playoff game(s).

Right now, SFA has 5 games scheduled this fall, 3 of them FBS teams, a DII team, and an FCS team. Then in the spring, play a full Conference schedule.

Central Arkansas has 8 fall games scheduled, then a full Southland conference schedule in the spring? Last season, they had 9 conference games, so is this possible for some teams like UCA to have played 17 games (fall + spring) PRIOR to the playoffs??? Versus some playoff teams having only played 7 or 8 games in the spring??
As far as I'm concerned, if a team like UCA is playing right now, when they knew the championships were pushed back, they have no one to blame but themselves. They will be beat up by spring.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:26 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Feb 38, Dec. 34
March 46, Nov. 43
Apr 56, Oct. 58
May 65, Sept. 72
They have played a High School FB game in Fieldhouse. Long enough for 1 end-zone. I would have to ask my uncle what year, thought he said it was a dirt field (rodeo dirt). Rosary High School vs. ?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:18 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:26 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Feb 38, Dec. 34
March 46, Nov. 43
Apr 56, Oct. 58
May 65, Sept. 72
They have played a High School FB game in Fieldhouse. Long enough for 1 end-zone. I would have to ask my uncle what year, thought he said it was a dirt field (rodeo dirt). Rosary High School vs. ?
I thought they had played 6 man football games in the Fieldhouse.....

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:33 pm

JDoub wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:45 am

Thought I read that a school is still limited to 11 games that could be split between fall and spring. I don't think UCA could play a full conference schedule in spring.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:11 pm

Another point about playing in Bozeman spring vs fall: the field isn’t frozen solid yet in the fall but will be starting out as frozen solid in the spring.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO