5-1

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

5-1

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:13 pm

Hey I am as frustrated as anyone with that game, especially the offensive play calling and how we don’t have a qb...

But at the end of the day- the Cats are 5-1!!! And found a way to gut out a win after they lost EVERY bit of momentum.

Definitely areas to work on an improve. But we are in a really good spot overall.

Go cats!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 5-1

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:15 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:13 pm
Hey I am as frustrated as anyone with that game, especially the offensive play calling and how we don’t have a qb...

But at the end of the day- the Cats are 5-1!!! And found a way to gut out a win after they lost EVERY bit of momentum.

Definitely areas to work on an improve. But we are in a really good spot overall.

Go cats!
We do have a QB. Making mistakes and learning from them is a huge part of the process. Tucker gets another game under his belt and gets the chance to grow from it.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:16 pm

I've been told that #WinBig is an inside "thing" for the team and not an outside thing for all the rest of us. I think this was a great win, a BIG win, because we lost our swagger, made stupid mistakes, let down on D...and still won against an unorthodox team like Poly. This was a great win, though ugly and it confirms our arc.

Choate does not want this team peaking early, and we aren't, but we are not as bad as some chicken littles say we are. We have a good/great team and are sitting on top for a reason!

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:19 pm

2 weeks into conference play, and only 4 teams have won road games. Only one by more than 6 points. It's hard to win on the road.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:19 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:15 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

Go cats!
We do have a QB. Making mistakes and learning from them is a huge part of the process. Tucker gets another game under his belt and gets the chance to grow from it.

That’s debatable to say the least.......

But like I said. A win is a win! Especially on the road. Hopefully they can learn from this an improve going forward.

GO CATS!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:21 pm

JimboCat wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:19 pm
2 weeks into conference play, and only 4 teams have won road games. Only one by more than 6 points. It's hard to win on the road.
And after Sac finishes off EWU, only 4 teams will be without a conference loss. 3 of them are in the top 10!
Last edited by BleedingBLue on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:21 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Go cats!

But like I said. A win is a win! Especially on the road. Hopefully they can learn from this an improve going forward.

GO CATS!
5 starts in! He is learning on the job. He had some good moments today..throwing while stepping up to pressure, the fade in the back corner for the td.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:23 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Go cats!

GO CATS!
Its only debatable because MSU fans have been used to stars at the position. Not every QB is going to be a future All-American. More games means more experience/development. That isn't debatable in my opinion.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:40 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:23 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Go cats!

GO CATS!
Its only debatable because MSU fans have been used to stars at the position. Not every QB is going to be a future All-American. More games means more experience/development. That isn't debatable in my opinion.
Hey, I usually agree with 99% of the stuff you post... I hope you are right on this one....

But There is something missing with both rovig an baumen. Hopefully one of them can figure “it” out..... I’m usually a glass half full kinda guy.... but not super optimistic about either of these qb’s. Hopefully I am wrong.

Again though- plenty of thing to be excited about! Cats are in a good spot overall.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:05 am

We already have five D1 wins. We are in pretty good shape heading forward.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:08 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:23 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Go cats!

GO CATS!
Yup.

True leadership is putting your people in position to learn from mistakes while also making sure to minimize the # of major mistakes and keep them manageable.

4thecats

Post by 4thecats » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:33 am

This team will be fine. We will make the playoffs. We will most likely get a home game. We will possibly win that 1st round game.... But that's it. We have so much talent on this team and it is sad that we will not be making a push for the National Championship because we cannot solidify solid play at the most important position. Rovig is serviceable, and he may get better, but I just don't see him being a top Big Sky QB. He misses way too many WIDE OPEN receivers which I feel he can learn and start seeing, but his deep ball scares me every time he throws it because it's not thrown well and seems to be a 50/50 lobbed jump ball.
So if 2nd rnd of the playoffs makes you happy, hold on and enjoy the show, but if it's a national championship that you desire, I feel you may be very frustrated come December.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:53 am

Lots of blaming the play calling, Padmos, Rovig, the defense, but it definitely wasn’t any one of those things all alone. Throw in the personal foul on Wood and the injury to Ifanse and that covers just about everything.

No one thing or player caused MSU to lose that lead. If just one of those things doesn’t happen MSU probably wins in regulation. But if just one of those things had happened, no one would’ve noticed because MSU would’ve won by 14-21 points.

The play calling wasn’t bad. MSU needs to trust and empower its quarterbacks and calling a run play on third and 11 is not the way to do it. Up to that point Rovig earned that trust. The play ended up being called because of the personal foul. Instead of second and 6, MSU was put in second and 21. MSU got what could’ve been a first down on the next play (a good play call that got ten yards and put MSU in a somewhat manageable position. Roving then threw a horrible pass at a horrible time. It was a very bad play, but other than that pass and two desperation heaves into the end zone, he was 12-21-0, 163 and one TD. That, for this offense, is more than enough. His pass to Kassis in the first half for a TD and the one wear he had defender a split from blow him up head on were very good passing. The long gain to Jonsen was a good play.

The defense other than two drives played well. They were put in tough spots after the Padmos punt and INT.

I sensed Padmos wanted to take off on what ended up being a six yard punt. It was bad, but by itself didn’t cause overtime. Obviously he’s a player that has set MSU up to win a lot of games over the years, so...

MSU is a whole level better on offense with Ifanse on the field. Hopefully he just tweaked his existing injury. He was wearing a huge brace. Jones isn’t 100 percent. Looks like Summer isn’t either.

Hope all that helps. :)

Sent from my iPhone

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:12 am

Replay of the MSU - Cal Poly game on SWX today at 5:30pm.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:27 am

codecat wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:12 am
Replay of the MSU - Cal Poly game on SWX today at 5:30pm.
Thanks. I had to miss the 2nd half of the game yesterday. It sounds like I may not want to watch it, but actually I do. :)

#Anywinisagoodwin

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:17 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:53 am
Lots of blaming the play calling, Padmos, Rovig, the defense, but it definitely wasn’t any one of those things all alone. Throw in the personal foul on Wood and the injury to Ifanse and that covers just about everything.

No one thing or player caused MSU to lose that lead. If just one of those things doesn’t happen MSU probably wins in regulation. But if just one of those things had happened, no one would’ve noticed because MSU would’ve won by 14-21 points.

The play calling wasn’t bad. MSU needs to trust and empower its quarterbacks and calling a run play on third and 11 is not the way to do it. Up to that point Rovig earned that trust. The play ended up being called because of the personal foul. Instead of second and 6, MSU was put in second and 21. MSU got what could’ve been a first down on the next play (a good play call that got ten yards and put MSU in a somewhat manageable position. Roving then threw a horrible pass at a horrible time. It was a very bad play, but other than that pass and two desperation heaves into the end zone, he was 12-21-0, 163 and one TD. That, for this offense, is more than enough. His pass to Kassis in the first half for a TD and the one wear he had defender a split from blow him up head on were very good passing. The long gain to Jonsen was a good play.

The defense other than two drives played well. They were put in tough spots after the Padmos punt and INT.

I sensed Padmos wanted to take off on what ended up being a six yard punt. It was bad, but by itself didn’t cause overtime. Obviously he’s a player that has set MSU up to win a lot of games over the years, so...

MSU is a whole level better on offense with Ifanse on the field. Hopefully he just tweaked his existing injury. He was wearing a huge brace. Jones isn’t 100 percent. Looks like Summer isn’t either.

Hope all that helps. :)

Sent from my iPhone
I agree with most of what you are saying....except that that stat line isn’t good at all for Rovig. Everyone has bad games, but when we justify patterns of lower than average performance, you create a culture of mediocrity.

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:33 am

Look Rovig was never intended to come in and win games by himself. These are young guys learning to become complete players. Their high school stardom means nothing and is totally irrelevant now. I saw growth yesterday. Just like I’m sureBauman is learning on the sidelines. If they are at junior status and still making some of these mistakes then criticize but now they need patience and support. I think Tucker is trying to take the next step, I appreciated seeing Bauman trying to calm him down at times, as it is still he confident and mental game that is Rovig’s biggest challenge.i thought play calling was fine. They were trying to give Rovig achanceto open up. Nothing will be a cake walk in his year.

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:44 am

As we stand right now, we are a quarterfinal team. Rovig is good enough to get it us there, and will make steady improvement with experience. We have scored 56, 49 and 34 with Rovig.

To take the next step, we need a dominant defense the whole game, and we have the talent to get there. The defense is dominant about half of each game right now.

Norfolk - Dominant in the second half.

Nau- dominant in the second half.

Cal Poly- Dominant in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Dominant the last few minutes of the game and overtime. If we were dominant in the 4th quarter, the bad punt and interception would have been FG tries.

If they can become dominant the entire game, we can make a deep run.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:47 am

4thecats wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:33 am
This team will be fine. We will make the playoffs. We will most likely get a home game. We will possibly win that 1st round game.... But that's it. We have so much talent on this team and it is sad that we will not be making a push for the National Championship because we cannot solidify solid play at the most important position. Rovig is serviceable, and he may get better, but I just don't see him being a top Big Sky QB. He misses way too many WIDE OPEN receivers which I feel he can learn and start seeing, but his deep ball scares me every time he throws it because it's not thrown well and seems to be a 50/50 lobbed jump ball.
So if 2nd rnd of the playoffs makes you happy, hold on and enjoy the show, but if it's a national championship that you desire, I feel you may be very frustrated come December.
Lots of fans here seem to think that’s a massive step forward.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:53 am

Watching from the stands, it was clear that Rovig is growing into the role. He displays more confidence and control before and in the huddle. Very cool under pressure and relaxed enough to engage in conversation with a rusher who nraely gets to him before a completion. Seems like a good investment opportunity for us. Last thing I want is a team that speaks too soon. I'd rather be like NDSU when they upset us in the playoffs a few years ago and gel at the optimum time. The main reason I prefer the college game to the NFL is the emotionality of our game. Last night's game certainly provided a rollercoaster ride that ended with a good result. Go Cats!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."