MSU vs UM Schedule comparison

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU vs UM Schedule comparison

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:48 am

I was going to wait a couple more weeks, but I’m impatient and I like looking at this analytical stuff.

So through 6 weeks, here is a comparison using Sagarin Rankings.

Again, I’m leaving out Texas Tech and Oregon to keep it to an FCS comparison.

Cats and griz are both 5-0 against the FCS so far.

Average ranking of Cats opponents so far- 186 (WIU and Norfolk are really bringing that number up, they’re not good...)

Average ranking of griz opponents so far- 163

Average ranking of Cats remaining opponents- 149

Average ranking of griz remaining opponents- 138

Average ranking of all 8 Cats conference opponents- 152

Average ranking of all 8 griz conference opponents- 138

This will all change throughout the season obviously, but it looks like the griz have the edge in just about every way as far as who has the harder schedule at this point, but the 8 conference games are a little closer than originally thought.

I don’t think there was really ever an argument that they had the tougher schedule, but that’s also going off of last years results, it will be interesting to see how this season pans out and if it ends up really being that much harder in the end.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:01 pm

I predict UCD and EWU will finish mid conference behind Sac St and UND. I think the BSC preseason rankings will prove to be very wrong. Therefore, my opinion is the Sagarin rankings are skewed due to the erroneous preseason rankings. The farther the season goes, the more accurate Sagarin becomes.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:48 am
I was going to wait a couple more weeks, but I’m impatient and I like looking at this analytical stuff.

Average ranking of Cats opponents so far- 186 (WIU and Norfolk are really bringing that number up, they’re not good...)

This will all change throughout the season obviously, but it looks like the griz have the edge in just about every way as far as who has the harder schedule at this point, but the 8 conference games are a little closer than originally thought.

I don’t think there was really ever an argument that they had the tougher schedule, but that’s also going off of last years results, it will be interesting to see how this season pans out and if it ends up really being that much harder in the end.
Nice work, since you like to do this how about if you were to break it down to sag. ranking of away games and home games for each school ( I use the term school very loosely in reference to UM) . It would seem to me that if you are fortunate enough to play your toughest opponents at home
that would tend to help balance things out. I have no idea which team that would help or hurt this year. TIA

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Keep in mind EWU has one div. 1 win as of today. Even if they win out, and that's a huge if, it would only give them 7 div. one wins. I think its going to take 8 wins to make the playoffs this year with a 12 game season. Although, if they win out, that's hard to ignore.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:03 pm

Plus if they win out, the griz won't.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:55 pm
Keep in mind EWU has one div. 1 win as of today. Even if they win out, and that's a huge if, it would only give them 7 div. one wins. I think its going to take 8 wins to make the playoffs this year with a 12 game season. Although, if they win out, that's hard to ignore.
If they win out, they would finish 7-1 in the BSC, which could win the autobid.

The Big Meowski

Re: MSU vs UM Schedule change omparison

Post by The Big Meowski » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:16 pm

RationalGriz wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:41 pm
Common Cat wrote:
EWU winning out still doesn’t guarantee them the autobid.

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:18 pm

The Big Meowski wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:16 pm
RationalGriz wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
I didn't say it did.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:40 pm

Common Cat wrote:
It's my understanding the major criterion when the committee is trying to fill the final spots is "Who do you NOT want to play right now?" If EWU wins out, I think they fit that bill without question.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

The Big Meowski

Post by The Big Meowski » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 pm

RationalGriz wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:18 pm
The Big Meowski wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
I didn't say it did.
My fault. Reading is hard.

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:45 pm

The Big Meowski wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 pm
RationalGriz wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:18 pm
The Big Meowski wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
I didn't say it did.
My fault. Reading is hard.
Never forget that anything is possible in the BSC with the unbalanced schedule :lol: :lol:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:37 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:31 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:48 am

Nice work, since you like to do this how about if you were to break it down to sag. ranking of away games and home games for each school ( I use the term school very loosely in reference to UM) . It would seem to me that if you are fortunate enough to play your toughest opponents at home
that would tend to help balance things out. I have no idea which team that would help or hurt this year. TIA
Ask and you shall receive :)

Cats average opponent ranking;
Home-162
Away-170

griz average opponent ranking;
Home-158
Away-139

Each teams home schedule looks very similar at this point, but the griz definitely have a tougher road schedule.

In all reality, it is still pretty early to take too much from these rankings. They’re stabilizing a bit, but the longer the season goes on, the more accurate they are. Really the best way to look at these will be after Cat/griz, so there is a full 12 game season worth of data being accounted for, then we can see for sure how the schedules stacked up against each other.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:57 am

So if you look at our 8 conference games…..

We each play UC Davis & Sac 1 game at home and 1 away for both of us so those cancel each other.

We obviously play each other, so that leaves 5 opponents that are unique to each team.

We play NAU, @CP, @UND, SUU, @UNC.

um plays ISU, EWU, @PSU, UI, WSU.

The easiest of all our remaining opponents should be SUU. The remaining 9 are comparable.

We beat NAU, who beat UNC, UNC beat UI. UND beat UCD, but UND lost @EWU.

um beat ISU, who beat PSU. ‘um beat UCD who lost @UND. EWU has lost to both UI & Sac but beat UND.

Certainly, at this point the BSC race is as clear as mud. I’d have to say since we have SUU on our schedule and um doesn’t our schedule appears to be the easiest going forward, especially when you consider we host the brawl. However, I don’t think anybody knows what to think of UI….a team who plays Wyoming tough, loses to UNC but beats EWU and has a competitive game against WSU is a head scratcher.

Every very week I seem to think that ‘this’ week will tell us a lot, but in the end every week seems to make the BSC more perplexing………maybe this is the week it begins to clear up. GO CATS!

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:24 pm

With some recent talk about where everyone will end up in a couple weeks and some more talk about strength of schedules, thought this would be interesting to look at again.

I’ll be the first one to say I’m impressed with the griz this year, I hate to say it, but they’re a lot better than I was anticipating. That doesn’t mean I don’t think they won’t end the season on a 2 game losing streak though...

This is using the Sagarin rankings again, to keep bias out of it.

Cats are 7-2 against FCS, griz are 8-1.

Average ranking of Cats opponents so far- 173

Average ranking of griz opponents so far- 153

Average ranking of all 8 Cats conference opponents- 150

Average ranking of all 8 griz conference opponents- 133

And just for the hell of it, here’s the rest of the Big Sky and the average ranking of their conference opponents. Not a lot of variation here, which is to be expected, but it is interesting that 2 of top 3 teams currently do also have the toughest conference schedules and EWU really has had the easiest schedule:

Sac St- 130
UM- 133
UCD- 136
NAU- 143
ID St- 144
Weber- 144
Cal Poly- 145
SUU- 148
Idaho- 148
MSU- 150
PSU- 153
UNC- 155
EWU- 155

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:15 pm

That was a big part of the reason many thought EWU would win the conference this year - they didn't have UC Davis, Weber, or MSU on the schedule.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:53 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:15 pm
That was a big part of the reason many thought EWU would win the conference this year - they didn't have UC Davis, Weber, or MSU on the schedule.
Myself included. I predicted they’d win the conference. I knew they graduated a lot of seniors and figured the talent level would be lower than last year, but I figured the easier schedule would counteract that and they’d still win the conference.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:46 pm

According to ncaa stats, the Cats SOS is 106 and the Griz are 15 in all of FCS. When you sort it to take in the 2 remaining future opponents, the Cats bump up to 92 and the Griz are at 3. UC Davis is at #1.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_co ... ivision=12

You have to go to “misc reports” tab and click “toughest schedule”