MSU vs UM Schedule comparison

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU vs UM Schedule comparison

Post by rivercat » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:53 am

Eastern will not run the table unless there is a complete mental reset. I think they lose 3 of their remaining games. I'd bet on Sac St and um over the Eags and think they'll drop another to either UND, ISU or PSU. They looked awful against UI and it a lot of it was mentally being out of the game. Barriere would skip a pass off the turf or completely miss a wide open receiver and act like a junior high QB shrugging, shaking his head, smiling. Success breeds complacency as Saban says. That and the fact that they lost a ton of coaches and players from last year's team makes me think they'll be watching the games come Thanksgiving.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:39 pm

Here are both teams' schedules

Date…MSU………………………………………..um
8/31...@TT……L 45-10…………………..@USD…..W 30-17
9/7…..SEMO….W 38-17……………….…UNA……..W 61-17
9/14…@WIU.…W 23-14………………….@UO…….L 35-3
9/21….NSU……W 56-21…………………..Mon……W 47-27
9/28….NAU…………………………………….@UCD
10/5….@CP……………………………………..ISU
10/12…SSU………………………………………bye
10/19…bye………………………………………@SSU
10/26…@UND………………………………….EWU
11/2…..SUU……………………………………@PSU
11/9….@UNC……………………………………UI
11/16…@UCD…………………………………..WSU
11/23….um………………………………………@MSU

For MSU...too early to tell but SEMO could be a quality win. At this point @WIU & NSU don't look to be a resume builder.

For um...most of the time I'd say beating USD on the road would be a quality win, but considering USD is 1-3 with their only W an 8 point victory against BSC cellar dweller UNC it's hard to make that case.....Monmouth we'll have to wait and see.

So comparing our BSC schedules;
*we both play @UCD...so those games cancel each other (one of only two common opponents)
*we have SSU at home they have them away on back-to-back weeks (our 1st common opponent)....advantage us
*we have SUU & @UNC, they have ISU & @PSU....advantage us
*we have NAU, @CP, @UND, they have WSU, EWU, UI (all at home)...most likely advantage us but too early to say for sure
*we have them at home.....advantage us

I'd be surprised at the end of season if their SOS isn't more difficult than ours....just like our schedule vs theirs last year. As I stated earlier, I think the only 'easy' games that are listed for either team is SUU & @UNC. All of their 8 BSC games could be a loss where I think only 6 of ours could.

BSC notes;
*ISU was ahead of @UNI (the #9 team in the country) in the 4th qtr in what turned out to be a very competitive game, although they didn't show much vs Utah.
*PSU played Arkansas tough but then got handled by Boise State
*UND plays @EWU this weekend, so we'll know more about both teams
*Is UI for real? :-k They played Wyoming tough and walloped EWU....they play UNC this weekend so won't know anything worth knowing til they host WSU the following weekend.
*SSU seems like they're the real deal, with their only losses to FBS teams which were competitive. They play EWU in 2 weeks so that game will tell us a lot about both teams.
*CP is yet to be determined. They play @SUU this weekend and we're there the following weekend.
*WSU...if we play them in the playoffs I think the over under could be 6.5 points. :lol:
*Interesting that UCD gets both Montana schools at home......most of the time when we play the same school in a year 1 Montana school plays them at home and the other plays them on the road.

With that being said...
I think we go 6-2 in conference play to end up 9-3. Last year we were 5-3 so just a 1 game improvement. Although not because I think we are just slightly better than last year but because the BSC is better overall. Our L's are @UCD & ?.

I think um goes 4-4, just like last year, and ends up 7-5. Again, not because I don't think they're better than last year, but their schedule is tougher. Their losses will be @UCD, WSU, EWU, & @MSU. However, they certainly haven't showed consistency last year or this year (i.e. UNA 1st half & Monmouth), so they could end up winning either WSU or EWU at home and then dropping either @SSU, @PSU or UI....I think they could lay an egg sometime like they did @UND or PSU last year.

Let BSC play begin \:D/ ....GO CATS!

FlyCastingCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FlyCastingCat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:52 am

This got me thinking. Taking a look at both rosters, who would you honestly take from each team to make the ultimate Montana team? I would take Sneed, Olson, a couple of their receivers and that's it. Both of our lines are better, corners are better. Safeties are better. RB isn't even close. Maybe take their kick return guy but all the rest would be wearing blue and gold, objectively.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:20 pm

FlyCastingCat wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:52 am
This got me thinking. Taking a look at both rosters, who would you honestly take from each team to make the ultimate Montana team? I would take Sneed, Olson, a couple of their receivers and that's it. Both of our lines are better, corners are better. Safeties are better. RB isn't even close. Maybe take their kick return guy but all the rest would be wearing blue and gold, objectively.
add JLM assuming you mean Flowers as the kick return guy

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:58 pm

FlyCastingCat wrote:
What about Sims? I’d take all 3 Griz TEs over any Cats TEs also. You said RB isn’t even close. Knight is 4th in the conference in rushing, averaging over 5 yards per carry. Not too awful. Although I think Ifanse is one of the top 2 backs in Big Sky. I’d take him any day. As for WRs, I’d take Akem, Toure, JLM, and Sulser over any Cat WR, although I do like Kassis. I’d take him, too. I still think Hauck is an incredible run stopping safety. He will be an all big sky guy before career is over. And I think if you watch Jace Lewis play linebacker you may change your mind

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:55 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:58 pm
FlyCastingCat wrote:
What about Sims? I’d take all 3 Griz TEs over any Cats TEs also. You said RB isn’t even close. Knight is 4th in the conference in rushing, averaging over 5 yards per carry. Not too awful. Although I think Ifanse is one of the top 2 backs in Big Sky. I’d take him any day. As for WRs, I’d take Akem, Toure, JLM, and Sulser over any Cat WR, although I do like Kassis. I’d take him, too. I still think Hauck is an incredible run stopping safety. He will be an all big sky guy before career is over. And I think if you watch Jace Lewis play linebacker you may change your mind
Bottom line, BOBCATS have better players across the board at most positions. :lol: It's been a long time since that has been the case.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:00 pm

If the eags dont get it done this weekend vs. North Dakota (No sloutch) Their season might cascade to a 5 win season.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:00 pm
If the eags dont get it done this weekend vs. North Dakota (No sloutch) Their season might cascade to a 5 win season.
Could you imagine that?! Won't lie though...I'd love to see it. \:D/

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:58 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:00 pm
with one of those wins in Missoula :-^

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:34 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
FlyCastingCat wrote:
I like Sims, he’s a stud. I’m just not sure who I like him better than? Not saying he isn’t better than somebody on the DL, just not sure who at this point as the MSU DL has been so dominate thus far.
I’m impressed with Knight. Good one there, just not better than Ifanse.
At this point Kassis is a more complete of a player than Sulser or JLM. Again, both of the UM guys are very good too. Kassis seems to be operating on a different level this year.
Agreed on the TE, especially when it comes to pass catching.
Sneed would run this MSU offense very, very well.
Olson is a no-brainer. NFL LB there. I think Lewis is on par with MSU backers.

Do you think Hauck is better than Sandry overall? I understand they’re different positions. I’ve always been impressed with him too.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:52 am

Grizaddict wrote:
FlyCastingCat wrote:
How many WRs do we get? Jonsen, Akem, Kassis and JLM is a heck of a mean unit. Gotta keep Jonsen for wildcat. Hopefully with Rovig being more consistent, Kassis will actually get the numbers to go with the value we all see.
If we get 2 RBs, I go healthy Ifanse and Jones but Knight is right there.
Can Sims play buck? I might take him over Amandre right now just because he's still pretty raw.
If only two safeties, I keep ours. If we can slide Konkol to WILL with Olson and Andersen, Hauck fits in nicely with Alleyne.
How good are the Griz TEs at blocking? Davis is a heck of a blocker and we need at least one that can do that.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:17 am

technoCat wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:52 am
Grizaddict wrote:
FlyCastingCat wrote:
How many WRs do we get? Jonsen, Akem, Kassis and JLM is a heck of a mean unit. Gotta keep Jonsen for wildcat. Hopefully with Rovig being more consistent, Kassis will actually get the numbers to go with the value we all see.
Can Sims play buck? I might take him over Amandre right now just because he's still pretty raw.
If only two safeties, I keep ours. If we can slide Konkol to WILL with Olson and Andersen, Hauck fits in nicely with Alleyne.
How good are the Griz TEs at blocking? Davis is a heck of a blocker and we need at least one that can do that.
This is pretty close to my thinking too, I think the Griz have the advantage at TE, WR (by a tiny bit) and could be close at LB. Jonsen, Akem, Kassis and Toure would be my top 4, and I actually like Sulser more than JLM, never really been that enamored with him. He is a big-play threat, but it seems like every big punt return he has he has one where he runs backward like 20 yards or fumbles it. How many lost fumbles does that guy have, he has to be close to Sneed territory there. I really like their TE and Lewis and Olson paired with TA would be an amazing LB group. Hauck is good, a lot better than I expected, but not better than Alleyne and Konkol, yet.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:36 am

RobertCats wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:17 am
technoCat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
FlyCastingCat wrote:
This is pretty close to my thinking too, I think the Griz have the advantage at TE, WR (by a tiny bit) and could be close at LB. Jonsen, Akem, Kassis and Toure would be my top 4, and I actually like Sulser more than JLM, never really been that enamored with him. He is a big-play threat, but it seems like every big punt return he has he has one where he runs backward like 20 yards or fumbles it. How many lost fumbles does that guy have, he has to be close to Sneed territory there. I really like their TE and Lewis and Olson paired with TA would be an amazing LB group. Hauck is good, a lot better than I expected, but not better than Alleyne and Konkol, yet.
Honestly think you may have JLM confused with someone else in terms of fumbles. He’s only coughed up the ball 4 times in his 4 years and only lost 2 of those. I don’t consider that a fumble machine, especially when you consider the amount of touches he gets as a receiver, fly sweep, and punt return. He averages 7 receptions per game alone. Throw in all that other stuff and he is probably getting 12-14 touches per game.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Offense: Sneed, Akem, Toure (sp?), Bingham. Anybody wanting Jonsen over those two is crazy. Jonsen is a great athlete, but those two are better WR's. Those two and Kassis would be an insane WR group.

Defense: Olson, and Lewis. I'll say this...I think Lewis and Askelson are very comparable, but Lewis is more experienced.

Knight is a fine back, but he wouldn't start here. Jesse Sims is good, but I think him and Benson are comparable players, tbh, so I'll just keep Benson.

Unfortunately, the Griz have the advantage at QB and WR. They'll do a lot of damage there.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:36 am
RobertCats wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
FlyCastingCat wrote:
Honestly think you may have JLM confused with someone else in terms of fumbles. He’s only coughed up the ball 4 times in his 4 years and only lost 2 of those. I don’t consider that a fumble machine, especially when you consider the amount of touches he gets as a receiver, fly sweep, and punt return. He averages 7 receptions per game alone. Throw in all that other stuff and he is probably getting 12-14 touches per game.
Hmmm maybe, where did you find those stats? I checked gogriz.com, bigskyconf.com and several google searches and none of the stats for JLM show fumbles or fumbles lost. I can easily remember 2 muffed punts and then the fumble to lose the game vs WIU last year, maybe it is because his fumbles have happened at critical times is why they stick out in my mind.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:09 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:53 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
FlyCastingCat wrote:
Hmmm maybe, where did you find those stats? I checked gogriz.com, bigskyconf.com and several google searches and none of the stats for JLM show fumbles or fumbles lost. I can easily remember 2 muffed punts and then the fumble to lose the game vs WIU last year, maybe it is because his fumbles have happened at critical times is why they stick out in my mind.
You're probably thinking of their other qb, sneed who is a fumble machine. They are both qb's because they have both taken snaps but sneed is the one who fumbles every game. I'm not sure on the fumbles of their other qb's Humphrey and Toure?

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:12 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Pretty good assessment, except I think the griz still have a pretty strong advantage at LB. We have some athletes there, and they're young so I think they will be really good in a year, but we still struggle quite a bit at times with our LB group, particularly in pass coverage. Akem alone gives the griz a big advantage at WR, although I like our group and I think the pass blocking MSU's receivers do is extremely unheralded and should be recognized. I agree that I've always felt JLM is vastly overrated, he's good for a big play now and again but I would also take Sulser over him every time.

GO CATS GO!!!

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:28 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:53 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
FlyCastingCat wrote:
Yea the WIU one was critical. That’s the only one I can recall that hurt. Here’s where I found the fumble stats:

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootba ... ouie-mcgee

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:00 pm

Hey GA - what's your score prediction for the Griz v UCD?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:22 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:00 pm
Hey GA - what's your score prediction for the Griz v UCD?
I’m worried about about our pass defense and pressure against an extremely talented and cerebral Maier at QB. I’ve talked to my bison buddies and they said UCD should have won that game and that the O Line of UCD was the best unit on the field. I think the Griz will score points, too, but I’m not sure they can keep up. I think Davis will win by 10. If the Griz can be within a score in the 4th then I’ll be very happy.