Congrats to Rovig

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Congrats to Rovig

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:45 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:36 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:33 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:20 pm
Does Tucker get the nod again this week?

In today’s presser Choate said “we’ll see”

Might Troy start at QB or is this just gamesmanship to keep the NAU defensive staff on their toes?
Troy is not starting at QB. Not trying to be a dick, but this hopeful narrative needs to stop. Not saying you're hopeful or not but I know a lot of people are.
I’m hopeful the NAU DC is sleep deprived trying to prepare for Tucker and Troy.
:lol: Here's hoping!

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:48 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Might Troy start at QB or is this just gamesmanship to keep the NAU defensive staff on their toes?
Troy is not starting at QB. Not trying to be a dick, but this hopeful narrative needs to stop. Not saying you're hopeful or not but I know a lot of people are.
Ya, 100% agree - it's funny how many people still think TA is going to become the starting QB again at some point. ](*,) Not to say he might not trot out there for the first play of the game and run the wildcat, or even throw a pass or something but he will not be the actual QB, period.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:53 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:39 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:50 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:30 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:22 am
MSU01 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:25 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:09 pm
So...do we finally have a quarterback now?
Yes, until he has a bad quarter and the doomsayers jump all over him again.
When an O-line physically dominates a defensive front 7 like we did this past Saturday it is not difficult for the QB to have a good game. Not taking anything away from Rovig, and not doomsdaying anything, but our O-line will not be dominating the upcoming Big Sky opponents on our schedule to the same degree that we did against Norfolk St. Keep this in mind.

I would not be certain about us having any QB behind center unless it is #15.
This is BS.
The first 3 games our offense couldn't complete a simple wide receiver screen as the balls were always thrown in the dirt. Rovig completed those with ease Saturday. Had nothing to do with the offensive line's domination. Also threw a nice quick slant to Jonsen for a TD and the ball was out of his hands in about 2 seconds. Again, very little to do with the O line.
Stop trying to take away from the great job Rovig did. Was he perfect? No, but he looked good and made throws that were not being made before, regardless of the opponent.
As is almost everything this bonehead posts on BN. truly the worst "bobcat fan" poster on this board. Maybe even THE worst, which is saying something...
I generally don’t talk bad about people on here, generally we’re all Cat fans and just have some differing opinions here and there.
The exception is this guy. He’s an idiot.

I actually think he might be a troll, he gets called out on this stuff all the time, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a response from him. He just makes a dumb comment and let’s it sit there with no backup, no clarification, anything.

He’s either a troll, getting a reaction from us all (I’ve been guilty more than once going at something he said) or he’s truly the worst Cat poster on this board.
Either way, his stuff gets old.
I don’t think he is a troll. I think it is just the type of person he is. He has posted some racial and discriminatory type of stuff in the past. Unfortunately, every fan base has tools like this. I think he should be called out every time he posts that kind of crap.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:55 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:48 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Ya, 100% agree - it's funny how many people still think TA is going to become the starting QB again at some point. ](*,) Not to say he might not trot out there for the first play of the game and run the wildcat, or even throw a pass or something but he will not be the actual QB, period.
Personally, I don't trust Choate when it comes to QB decisions and management. This is why that if Troy did come out and take 100% of the snaps, I wouldn't be surprised. I wish upon all hope he doesn't, but I just do not trust Choate in these matters right now. He appears to have taken a step forward by going with the hard decision to start Rovig against NSU, but I think many of us felt there was no way we were going back to Troy last year after Wagner...

This year should be different since Troy hasn't played hardly at all there, but man I just still have that sick feeling somewhere, buried way down in my gut, that Troy might trot out against NAU. I hate it.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:03 pm

My read is very positive regarding Choates qb decision making. He is not afraid of the "2 QBs equal no QB" concern. He makes his decisions based on analysis of the opponents strengths and weaknesses. The results should encourage us all to trust his judgement.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:15 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:55 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:48 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Personally, I don't trust Choate when it comes to QB decisions and management. This is why that if Troy did come out and take 100% of the snaps, I wouldn't be surprised. I wish upon all hope he doesn't, but I just do not trust Choate in these matters right now. He appears to have taken a step forward by going with the hard decision to start Rovig against NSU, but I think many of us felt there was no way we were going back to Troy last year after Wagner...

This year should be different since Troy hasn't played hardly at all there, but man I just still have that sick feeling somewhere, buried way down in my gut, that Troy might trot out against NAU. I hate it.
:lol:

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:48 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:43 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:22 am
MSU01 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:25 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:09 pm
So...do we finally have a quarterback now?
Yes, until he has a bad quarter and the doomsayers jump all over him again.
When an O-line physically dominates a defensive front 7 like we did this past Saturday it is not difficult for the QB to have a good game. Not taking anything away from Rovig, and not doomsdaying anything, but our O-line will not be dominating the upcoming Big Sky opponents on our schedule to the same degree that we did against Norfolk St. Keep this in mind.

I would not be certain about us having any QB behind center unless it is #15.
Wow, I honestly don't know what game you just watched. Rovig was not perfect, but he did not have to be, we don't need him to be. He needs to make the right read and hit the open receivers which he did all game long. His first td throw to Steel was WAY too late, should have hit him 4 seconds before he did (I still can't believe Coy was that wide open, he still walked in untouched), but to make up for it that throw to Snell was absolutely perfect, good velocity rolling to his left, into tight coverage for a 1st down. That was a tough and ballsy throw! There was SOO much more good than bad from Rovig this week, NSU has actually held up pretty good vs the pass this year.

Rovig commanded the offense, made the throws he needed to make, involved 7 receivers (8 if you include himself :wink: ) and did not turn the ball over. If he plays like this all season (and I am confident he can) we are going to be tough to beat.
We saw this too (earlier, Rovig had missed seeing a wide open Steel, instead going to the edge to a double covered receiver), and when he saw Steel this time it was like an o'chit moment and he couldn't seem to get rid of the ball fast enough, and don't think he missed seeing Steel being open after that.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:10 pm

My take on Choate's "we'll see" is the fact that Rovig has a propensity to lose his confidence if he isn't constantly reminded of his main focus. Choate has said that Rovig has let two past opportunities slip by because of this. So he's taking a wait and see attitude whether this past game will launch Rovig's stability, or merely be a high point against a lesser opponent. I think he has to do the same against a good team to solidify his confidence.

2024 Resume dominance

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:19 pm

I said a long time ago that Choate would sit Bauman after 3 games. I took some heat on that comment with many saying no way and that Bauman isn’t on a short leash. Well 3 games is a pretty short leash. Where I was wrong is that I said Andersen would be the QB (as opposed to Rovig). Will be very interesting to see, if Rovig has a rough game against NAU (which is very possible) what is the answer. Does Choate roll Bauman back out there or do you see Andersen? Or does he roll out a 5 QB system at that point.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:34 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:19 pm
I said a long time ago that Choate would sit Bauman after 3 games. I took some heat on that comment with many saying no way and that Bauman isn’t on a short leash. Well 3 games is a pretty short leash. Where I was wrong is that I said Andersen would be the QB (as opposed to Rovig). Will be very interesting to see, if Rovig has a rough game against NAU (which is very possible) what is the answer. Does Choate roll Bauman back out there or do you see Andersen? Or does he roll out a 5 QB system at that point.
You probably actually said that Andersen would be playing quarterback right now, which would make you completely wrong.

If Rovig has no success against NAU’s pass defense, it’ll be surprising. It isn’t “very possible” as you put it. NAU has a average pass defense. But IF he does, then Choate will probably re-evaluate the situation. Troy appears to be available with the sudden rise of Hardy. So I’d say he’d be the next option, if it ever came down to that. I don’t see many teams with a defense that will cause what you’re thinking to happen.

MSU’s quarterbacks need to take care of the ball (0 fumbles/0 interceptions this year) and hit open receivers. They don’t need to make a lot of passes into tight coverage for the offense to succeed.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:54 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:34 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
You probably actually said that Andersen would be playing quarterback right now, which would make you completely wrong.

If Rovig has no success against NAU’s pass defense, it’ll be surprising. It isn’t “very possible” as you put it. NAU has a average pass defense. But IF he does, then Choate will probably re-evaluate the situation. Troy appears to be available with the sudden rise of Hardy. So I’d say he’d be the next option, if it ever came down to that. I don’t see many teams with a defense that will cause what you’re thinking to happen.

MSU’s quarterbacks need to take care of the ball (0 fumbles/0 interceptions this year) and hit open receivers. They don’t need to make a lot of passes into tight coverage for the offense to succeed.
I pretty sure he made that statement when everyone thought Rovig was going to be the starter and Bauman hadn't be named yet. Then when Bauman was named starter he went off about how terrible they both are and troy would start week 4.

He's just a blow-hard that likes to blow himself.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:57 pm

Troy isn't playing QB full time this year.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:59 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:10 pm
My take on Choate's "we'll see" is the fact that Rovig has a propensity to lose his confidence if he isn't constantly reminded of his main focus. Choate has said that Rovig has let two past opportunities slip by because of this. So he's taking a wait and see attitude whether this past game will launch Rovig's stability, or merely be a high point against a lesser opponent. I think he has to do the same against a good team to solidify his confidence.
Look. What Choate tells the media and what Choate tells his team behind closed doors are different things. Tucker is starting, knows he's starting, and know Choate is confident in him. This isn't a "wait and see" moment, it's people over analyzing a comment made to the media that means next to nothing.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:48 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:57 pm
Troy isn't playing QB full time this year.
EXACTLY! We have moved on and shaped our offense for a more traditional QB. I honestly think TA would be 5th string QB right now behind Rovig, Bauman, Beltran, Jonsen.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:51 pm

The second best part about all this is that the opposing coaches have to prepare for all these looks. The best part is when they don’t win regardless of who’s the QB. :)

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:57 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
I don't remember all of the threads because there were countless regarding our qb situation.

Speaking for me personally, I was only shooting down the idea of Troy starting qb for the Cats after three games, which was said a LOT. Maybe not by you specifically but many Griz fans are for whatever reason convinced that Troy will be playing qb. He simply won't be. As I said all summer and many Cat fans agreed...he's going to take snaps back there. As will Jonsen. And Kassis. So if we want to call them all qb's if they take snaps then yes, the Bobcats have a 6-qb system.... :roll:

Now, why some would say there was NO WAY that Bauman could be pulled, I have no idea. It was pretty neck and neck battle all summer I thought. I was one who thought CB looked better this fall. I wasn't surprised he won the job. But he's a redshirt freshman playing his first meaningful minutes. I won't pretend to know more than I do but it was clear he wasn't playing at the level we needed him to. So I wasn't even a little surprised we made a move. What else should we do? So I'd totally back you up if you got blasted for predicting we might go to Rovig at some point.

But I would have fully shot the idea down that Troy will ever be our full time starter again. And I stand by that. And no matter how many Griz fans for whatever reason think it'll happen....it's just not going to happen.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:22 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:57 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
I don't remember all of the threads because there were countless regarding our qb situation.

Speaking for me personally, I was only shooting down the idea of Troy starting qb for the Cats after three games, which was said a LOT. Maybe not by you specifically but many Griz fans are for whatever reason convinced that Troy will be playing qb. He simply won't be. As I said all summer and many Cat fans agreed...he's going to take snaps back there. As will Jonsen. And Kassis. So if we want to call them all qb's if they take snaps then yes, the Bobcats have a 6-qb system.... :roll:

Now, why some would say there was NO WAY that Bauman could be pulled, I have no idea. It was pretty neck and neck battle all summer I thought. I was one who thought CB looked better this fall. I wasn't surprised he won the job. But he's a redshirt freshman playing his first meaningful minutes. I won't pretend to know more than I do but it was clear he wasn't playing at the level we needed him to. So I wasn't even a little surprised we made a move. What else should we do? So I'd totally back you up if you got blasted for predicting we might go to Rovig at some point.

But I would have fully shot the idea down that Troy will ever be our full time starter again. And I stand by that. And no matter how many Griz fans for whatever reason think it'll happen....it's just not going to happen.
Pssst! Hey grizaddict. C’mere. You’re right. Troy’s gonna be the starter. Shhh. Now go tell Bahbay you sneaky bastedge. :-$

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:42 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:51 pm
The second best part about all this is that the opposing coaches have to prepare for all these looks. The best part is when they don’t win regardless of who’s the QB. :)
It is a Nightmare for a DC to prepare to play the Cat's thats for sure.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:04 pm

A short leash would be throwing a couple picks and getting pulled in first half of a game. Getting your chance for three games and having the accuracy issue here did is not a short leash

Sports is not bigger than life

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:18 am

tetoncat wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:04 pm
A short leash would be throwing a couple picks and getting pulled in first half of a game. Getting your chance for three games and having the accuracy issue here did is not a short leash
Good point. Not too many QBs that win the job just two weeks before the season last as long as Bauman did playing the way he did.

However, I think this has been a great experience for Bauman. Sometimes you have to go through stuff like this, then sit back and observe, study, train. Then comeback the better for it. Ya know, just like Rovig. :thumbup: