TV for Western Illinois

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: TV for Western Illinois

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:55 pm

If you already have an ESPN account, even if you don't already have ESPN+ can you still get the free trial?

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:00 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:25 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:57 am
ESPN+ offers a yearly subscription of $49.99, I think it is. So just over $4 per month. I used it to watch our women's basketball team playing out of conference games, and just kept it. It's been a good deal. And the picture quality is good, unlike PlutoTV live events. A large majority of the conferences are using ESPN3/ESPN+ now. I wrote to one of the media VPs for the Big Sky and politely asked why Pluto when 29 of 32 basketball conferences were on ESPN streaming? She didn't even bother to respond.

Anyway, I get good value out of ESPN+.
Do they have replays ? In case you have to miss the live-streams.
yes

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:27 pm

So I have Roku, Charter, and a big flat screen TV. Am I golden? :D Seriously, will I get the game if I can figure it out.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:37 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:27 pm
So I have Roku, Charter, and a big flat screen TV. Am I golden? :D Seriously, will I get the game if I can figure it out.
The Roku (with ESPN app) and the TV are good but you will need to subscribe or use the free trial for ESPN+ to get the game.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:12 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:00 pm
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
ESPN+ offers a yearly subscription of $49.99, I think it is. So just over $4 per month. I used it to watch our women's basketball team playing out of conference games, and just kept it. It's been a good deal. And the picture quality is good, unlike PlutoTV live events. A large majority of the conferences are using ESPN3/ESPN+ now. I wrote to one of the media VPs for the Big Sky and politely asked why Pluto when 29 of 32 basketball conferences were on ESPN streaming? She didn't even bother to respond.

yes
Thanks Boss, I can go to a Roping and still watch the Cats, Life is real Good .....Go CATS

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:15 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:37 pm
catatac wrote:
The Roku (with ESPN app) and the TV are good but you will need to subscribe or use the free trial for ESPN+ to get the game.
So, I have the Roku and Charter but I also need to get the ESPN app and also subscribe? Screw it - I'll go to a bar, I think The Sting or the Half Time might stream it.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:24 pm

It's $5 for a month. That's a beer at the bar.

It's stinking cheap, man.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:03 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:24 pm
It's $5 for a month. That's a beer at the bar.

It's stinking cheap, man.
Shoot, my beers are$7.50.…

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:33 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:15 pm
kmax wrote:
catatac wrote:
So, I have the Roku and Charter but I also need to get the ESPN app and also subscribe? Screw it - I'll go to a bar, I think The Sting or the Half Time might stream it.
Carefull....Call the bar ahead of time. Bars may not be allowed to play ESPN+ from what I heard tonight.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:57 am

SACCAT wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:33 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:15 pm
kmax wrote:
catatac wrote:
Carefull....Call the bar ahead of time. Bars may not be allowed to play ESPN+ from what I heard tonight.
Thanks, will do. And I don't care about the $5, more just usually ends up being a pain in the ass. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

So I'm guessing I can register and create an account for ESPN3 using whatever device, phone, laptop, ipad, and then once that's set I do need to download the App, but is that done through the Roku or do I need the App on my phone or ipad and then have to stream it to TV via HDMI cable? Obviously I don't know much about how to use the Roku. If anybody can give me instructions that would be awesome!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:59 am

Roku should have the ESPN app, so just download it and log in using whatever account you subscribed to and should work easy peasy. And yes you can create an account on any device, and then just use that account to log into whatever device you need to watch the game on - Roku, cell phone, laptop, etc.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am

Yep, what Celtic said. And actually you can do it all directly from the Roku if you want as you can sign up for ESPN+ there even.

Instructions on your ROKU:
-- From the home screen of your ROKU go down to "Streaming Channels" and then click the right arrow
-- From here scroll down to "Most Popular" and then click the right arrow
-- Scroll down through the channels a bit and find the ESPN app and highlight it using the arrow buttons, then click the OK button
-- Choose to Add the channel
-- Once it finishes installing hit the Home button on your ROKU remote
-- Click to the right into the channel listings and then up one and you should see the ESPN app highlight it in the channel listings and hit OK
-- Once the ESPN app loads, click up once to get to the top menu then over to the ESPN+ menu and hit OK
-- From here there will be a big box that you can select to Buy Now, then just follow the instructions there to either log into an existing ESPN account that has ESPN+ (for if you bought it on your phone or iPad first) or to buy right there from your ROKU directly.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:36 am

Just to dovetail on what others have said, if you get the game through ESPN+ on a tablet or your phone you should be able to cast it to your tv (if you have a smart tv).

I did that last year for our game against NDSU and there was almost no loss in quality. It was very sharp. I also did that last week for the game that was on SWX.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:24 pm

kmax wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am
Yep, what Celtic said. And actually you can do it all directly from the Roku if you want as you can sign up for ESPN+ there even.

-- From the home screen of your ROKU go down to "Streaming Channels" and then click the right arrow
-- Scroll down through the channels a bit and find the ESPN app and highlight it using the arrow buttons, then click the OK button
-- Click to the right into the channel listings and then up one and you should see the ESPN app highlight it in the channel listings and hit OK
-- Once the ESPN app loads, click up once to get to the top menu then over to the ESPN+ menu and hit OK
-- From here there will be a big box that you can select to Buy Now, then just follow the instructions there to either log into an existing ESPN account that has ESPN+ (for if you bought it on your phone or iPad first) or to buy right there from your ROKU directly.
Once I had the ESPN app on my Roku, I found i easier to set up my account and paid online via my browser as i could use any (card) payment method i wanted, whereas signing up through the app on Roku, it would only accept payment via the Roku Pay service (which i don't use). After that, i just had to login to the account from within the ESPN app.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:01 pm

codecat wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:24 pm
kmax wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am

Once I had the ESPN app on my Roku, I found i easier to set up my account and paid online via my browser as i could use any (card) payment method i wanted, whereas signing up through the app on Roku, it would only accept payment via the Roku Pay service (which i don't use). After that, i just had to login to the account from within the ESPN app.
Right on, that sounds easy enough - thanks all for the info...

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Good question. Yes, they do! Games are usually available on demand within maybe an hour or two of their live ending. Rather quickly. In fact, that is how I usually watch them. It makes commercials so much more tolerable. The replays stick around for at least a week.

If you have any ESPN affiliation, try loading up the Watch ESPN app on a streaming device (Roku, AppleTV, tablet, etc.) and go in and check out the content. You'll usually be able to watch the ESPN/2/3 and maybe ESPNU streams, but won't be able to watch the ESPN+ games. The ESPN+ subscription unlocks those. I'd really like to know what conferences get from ESPN+ subscriptions. I hope they do get a cut of my $4+ per month.

I am on my second year and could not be happier. The production quality is usually good, and the video is HD. I enjoy watching the higher-ranked D-I women’s basketball teams. I could always find an Oregon or UConn or Oregon State game, home or away, on regular ESPN or ESPN+.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:07 am

I've had Watch ESPN for years now on my computer. You can go back a year or so and watch any sport you want including NCAA Football. It has a week long calendar feature and you can click back a week at a time for several months. I don't think I've gone back more than a year. I watched them on my big screen TV using an HDMI cable from my computer to one of the HDMI ports on my TV until I got my Firestick, now I watch ESPN games on it. I have an ESPN+ account now so I'm set for the year.

In order to watch the Griz you have to get the PAC12 Network. That will be fun! Google FUBU and get the free trial, then cancel it after the game.

2024 Resume dominance

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:40 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:58 pm
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Good question. Yes, they do! Games are usually available on demand within maybe an hour or two of their live ending. Rather quickly. In fact, that is how I usually watch them. It makes commercials so much more tolerable. The replays stick around for at least a week.

If you have any ESPN affiliation, try loading up the Watch ESPN app on a streaming device (Roku, AppleTV, tablet, etc.) and go in and check out the content. You'll usually be able to watch the ESPN/2/3 and maybe ESPNU streams, but won't be able to watch the ESPN+ games. The ESPN+ subscription unlocks those. I'd really like to know what conferences get from ESPN+ subscriptions. I hope they do get a cut of my $4+ per month.

I am on my second year and could not be happier. The production quality is usually good, and the video is HD. I enjoy watching the higher-ranked D-I women’s basketball teams. I could always find an Oregon or UConn or Oregon State game, home or away, on regular ESPN or ESPN+.
Thanks, all set up and good to go .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Even more of a reason to get ESPN+

Devlan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Devlan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:09 am

I’m in Billings for the weekend. Any suggestions for a place to watch the game

Devlan Geddes