MSU vs WIU predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: MSU vs WIU predictions

Post by KittieKop » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:42 pm

If people really think the MSU team "has arrived" and they're legit this year, that absolutely means this team should be winning ALL the games they're supposed to win, winning the vast majority of the close ones or toss up games, and heavily competing in all and winning a few, of the games they're not supposed to win. Regardless if the games are at home or on the road.

If this team continues to struggle on the road, then there's issues. If you've "arrived", you have to win on the road. Particularly the games you're supposed to win. And the Cats should without a doubt win this game.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:56 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:42 pm
If people really think the MSU team "has arrived" and they're legit this year, that absolutely means this team should be winning ALL the games they're supposed to win, winning the vast majority of the close ones or toss up games, and heavily competing in all and winning a few, of the games they're not supposed to win. Regardless if the games are at home or on the road.

If this team continues to struggle on the road, then there's issues. If you've "arrived", you have to win on the road. Particularly the games you're supposed to win. And the Cats should without a doubt win this game.
Pretty much, this here.

This was always the issue with the Ash teams. We rarely won the toss ups or games we weren't supposed to.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:19 pm

:lol:
ST_Lawson wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:15 pm
kwcat wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:19 am
Whatever the reason, ndsu struggled mightily there a few years ago.
It's our deafening silence...nobody knows how to handle it when the QB barks out a play and all they hear is an echo of their own voice.

Valley_dweller
New Recruit

Post by Valley_dweller » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:27 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:34 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:30 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:45 pm
This game is making me very nervous. Almost like going to Northern Colorado to play.

From WIU’s Game Notes:

“Home Cooking | Playing at Hanson Field has been a tough task for non-conference teams in recent years. The Leathernecks are 34-4 against non-MVFC teams since 1999, including a current 12-game win streak.”

We need to snap that streak — it's there for a reason. It means it is a difficult place to win, whatever the reasons.
I keep going back and forth on this game too. I've been nervous about their home record in non-conference games, so I looked up some old schedules. First of all, they don't play a ton of non-conference home games. Maybe they can get more money going other places, I'm not sure. There are plenty of seasons where they don't play any home non-MVFC games. More often than not, their home non-conference games are against teams like Valpo, Butler, Drake, IUPUI, etc. Obviously they did beat UM last year and they beat NAU a few years ago at home, so it hasn't been all cupcakes. But I think the stat about their home non-conference record is a little misleading.

It's one thing for a team like MSU or UM to have a better record at home because of the energy the fan base brings, but there's something about what they're doing there that is impressive. Maybe it is just the travel, maybe it's the depressing environment, maybe they put something in the visitors' water.
I think you're right (above). If you can only get a few thousand in your stands in home games it wont' generate too much revenue so taking a trip would likely be more lucrative.
Hi Nation.

Montana State is certainly a good program. First the Valley is kinda grueling for conference play so I am very interested in learning more about this IUPUI Football team. Seems to me Western should get them on their schedule ASAP.

Couple side notes, Western dominated the game in Bozeman last year and then just gave it to MSU in the very last minutes. Western's, all conference RB hasn't played a down this year nor has their #1 returning receiver, in addition in total Western has four running backs injured. Coach Elliot doesn't do many interviews so they all could be back or none could. Also, travel for MSU will also entail a two hour bus ride after the flight, the visiting team accommodations at Western are spartan. A poster mentioned MSU has a "Playoff Pedigree". It must sound better to say than to read... it just sounds funny. How many playoff games has MSU won? Anyway safe travels. WIU has not started out well and has to be a lot better than the Colorado State game, if not then this will be a pretty sure win for the Bobcats.

One last thought, I really like the Big Sky Missouri Valley challenge. Good conferences really interesting match-ups most years....bragging rights of course are fun too. I'm also considering retiring to Montana. West part of the State of course.

Valley_dweller
New Recruit

Post by Valley_dweller » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Colorado State will go to a bowl game this year their all star QB Colin Hill was out last year and he is looking P-5 good this year.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Bobcats 35
WIU 24

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:52 pm

KittieKop wrote:

Again, I'm going to reiterate my opinion that Choate's Bobcats do not "struggle" on the road, any more than 99% of all other college football teams. In 2017 we lost three on the road and lost three at home. In 2018 we happened to play all the best teams on the conference, on the road.

I think you and I agree however, if we don't win tomorrow then maybe I'll start to believe we have a problem winning on the road.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:46 pm

MSU 27
WIU 20

A couple of unexpected turnovers pop up and WIU gets a weird bounce and cashes in on one. But our team maintains focus, and Tristan Bailey pops a couple. We snap their 12-game OOC home win streak and set the table for a fine year.

I like this team, a lot. I like the players as people. I think they have a chance to put together something really special this year, including overcoming a MVFC place where teams seem to misfire a bit.

Go ‘Cats!

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Valley_dweller wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:27 pm
The MICKSTER wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
This game is making me very nervous. Almost like going to Northern Colorado to play.

From WIU’s Game Notes:

“Home Cooking | Playing at Hanson Field has been a tough task for non-conference teams in recent years. The Leathernecks are 34-4 against non-MVFC teams since 1999, including a current 12-game win streak.”

We need to snap that streak — it's there for a reason. It means it is a difficult place to win, whatever the reasons.
I keep going back and forth on this game too. I've been nervous about their home record in non-conference games, so I looked up some old schedules. First of all, they don't play a ton of non-conference home games. Maybe they can get more money going other places, I'm not sure. There are plenty of seasons where they don't play any home non-MVFC games. More often than not, their home non-conference games are against teams like Valpo, Butler, Drake, IUPUI, etc. Obviously they did beat UM last year and they beat NAU a few years ago at home, so it hasn't been all cupcakes. But I think the stat about their home non-conference record is a little misleading.

It's one thing for a team like MSU or UM to have a better record at home because of the energy the fan base brings, but there's something about what they're doing there that is impressive. Maybe it is just the travel, maybe it's the depressing environment, maybe they put something in the visitors' water.
I think you're right (above). If you can only get a few thousand in your stands in home games it wont' generate too much revenue so taking a trip would likely be more lucrative.
Hi Nation.

Montana State is certainly a good program. First the Valley is kinda grueling for conference play so I am very interested in learning more about this IUPUI Football team. Seems to me Western should get them on their schedule ASAP.

Couple side notes, Western dominated the game in Bozeman last year and then just gave it to MSU in the very last minutes. Western's, all conference RB hasn't played a down this year nor has their #1 returning receiver, in addition in total Western has four running backs injured. Coach Elliot doesn't do many interviews so they all could be back or none could. Also, travel for MSU will also entail a two hour bus ride after the flight, the visiting team accommodations at Western are spartan. A poster mentioned MSU has a "Playoff Pedigree". It must sound better to say than to read... it just sounds funny. How many playoff games has MSU won? Anyway safe travels. WIU has not started out well and has to be a lot better than the Colorado State game, if not then this will be a pretty sure win for the Bobcats.

One last thought, I really like the Big Sky Missouri Valley challenge. Good conferences really interesting match-ups most years....bragging rights of course are fun too. I'm also considering retiring to Montana. West part of the State of course.
Were you high when you wrote this? I was at last year's game and WIU definitely did not dominate the whole game. Pretty evenly matched if you ask me. Playoff wins..lets see..last year plus a rich history of playoff wins including the 1984 National Championship. According to Wikipedia, WIU has only been to the playoffs 10 times. You also just lost to Northern Alabama who got blown out by the Fizz. Not sure I would be spouting off too much.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:44 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 am
This quote from Lewis Kidd says it all about this team. This is exactly why I think we win this weekend and win big.

On finding motivation this week: "Like we've been saying all week, it doesn't really matter, the atmosphere. If you need to be motivated you're probably not in the right room, not doing the right thing. I think we're all capable, we're a mature enough team to bring our own energy and feed off the energy of each other. It doesn't matter if we're playing in front of 50,000 people or a thousand. We should be playing at a high level no matter what."
So true, if the players are not responsible enough to bring their own energy - I would have to question what kind of culture we have in place. That being said, I think Choate is reminding us that the game still has to be played. After watching the replay of the W. Illinois vs North Alabama game i thought this would be a big win, but have had to temper that after how W. Illinois played better last week.

MSU - 35
WIU - 21

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Based on what I have read on WIU, it seems to me that they are about the same as last year. We think MSU has improved. Therefore I think Cats win going away.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Blixtonz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Blixtonz » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:54 pm

34-13 Cats

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:02 pm

Losing within a score through 2.5, then the Cats start to take control. The game day thread is another example of how truly awful the human species can be after a few really bad series and/or turnovers, but then all recovers before the end. Many posters are quietly embarrased after their buzz wears off.

Cats 31
WIU 21

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Too many fatalists...this will be as close as the SEMO game. WinBig and move on.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:37 pm

41 to 10 Cats
Team and coaches are on the same page as far as leave not doubt. Tough job on the road but time for these guys to make a road statement.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:49 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:52 pm
KittieKop wrote:

Again, I'm going to reiterate my opinion that Choate's Bobcats do not "struggle" on the road, any more than 99% of all other college football teams. In 2017 we lost three on the road and lost three at home. In 2018 we happened to play all the best teams on the conference, on the road.

I think you and I agree however, if we don't win tomorrow then maybe I'll start to believe we have a problem winning on the road.
It isn't worth arguing over, but I'll refer back to 1aafan's earlier post: 5 road wins in the 3+ years of the Choate era, 3-12 if you take out the cat/griz games in Missoula. That's struggling no matter how you look at it. You're not going to be at the top of your league or nation if you can't at the very least hold even (.500) in your road games. If their road losses are a matter of hitting the better BSC teams at their homes, then I'll refer back to my other point: you're not going to be elite until you start winning the games you're supposed to win, win the majority of the games that are toss ups and win some games you're supposed to have lost. We'll see how this season plays out. We're not there yet, we'll see if this year shows us more.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:37 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:49 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:52 pm
KittieKop wrote:

It isn't worth arguing over, but I'll refer back to 1aafan's earlier post: 5 road wins in the 3+ years of the Choate era, 3-12 if you take out the cat/griz games in Missoula. That's struggling no matter how you look at it. You're not going to be at the top of your league or nation if you can't at the very least hold even (.500) in your road games. If their road losses are a matter of hitting the better BSC teams at their homes, then I'll refer back to my other point: you're not going to be elite until you start winning the games you're supposed to win, win the majority of the games that are toss ups and win some games you're supposed to have lost. We'll see how this season plays out. We're not there yet, we'll see if this year shows us more.
Fair points, but a lot of those losses were very close and some could have easily gone our way. Three of those losses came against FBS opponents, two of which we had very little shot of winning. We also didn't have the ace in his place at offensive coordinator. We're deeper now at every position.

I just don't see any reason for anyone's doom and gloom.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Valley_dweller
New Recruit

Post by Valley_dweller » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:17 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:18 pm
Valley_dweller wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

From WIU’s Game Notes:

Hi Nation.

Were you high when you wrote this? I was at last year's game and WIU definitely did not dominate the whole game. Pretty evenly matched if you ask me. Playoff wins..lets see..last year plus a rich history of playoff wins including the 1984 National Championship. According to Wikipedia, WIU has only been to the playoffs 10 times. You also just lost to Northern Alabama who got blown out by the Fizz. Not sure I would be spouting off too much.
No, I wasn't high (I have to wait till next calendar year in Illinois). I retract my statement that we dominated, it was pretty evenly matched, we did lead almost the entire game though LOL yes that and $1 will buy Western a coffee at McDonalds.

Winning a National Championship is epic, no disrespect, that is forever. My math or brain or both might be wrong but since 1985 Montana State has won 4 playoff games....that's 34 years. 7 total program playoff wins including the 3 wins in '84. Western has 7 program playoff wins (no national championship alas). Again my counting might be wrong and I should have acknowledged the '84 Championship. No matter after you're done having your way with the Leathernecks (which you will) you will be one step closer to another playoff berth.

Yes Western has made the playoffs in 10 years in D-I. If the Bobcats make the playoffs this year they will match that mark (posters really don't know the history?).
Last edited by Valley_dweller on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:53 pm

MSU 35
WIU 13

GO CATS!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:12 am

Valley_dweller wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:17 pm
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:18 pm
Valley_dweller wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

From WIU’s Game Notes:

Hi Nation.

No, I wasn't high (I have to wait till next calendar year in Illinois). I retract my statement that we dominated, it was pretty evenly matched, we did lead almost the entire game though LOL yes that and $1 will buy Western a coffee at McDonalds.

Winning a National Championship is epic, no disrespect, that is forever. My math or brain or both might be wrong but since 1985 Montana State has won 4 playoff games....that's 34 years. 7 total program playoff wins including the 3 wins in '84. Western has 7 program playoff wins (no national championship alas). Again my counting might be wrong and I should have acknowledged the '84 Championship. No matter after you're done having your way with the Leathernecks (which you will) you will be one step closer to another playoff berth.

Yes Western has made the playoffs in 10 years in D-I. If the Bobcats make the playoffs this year they will match that mark (posters really don't know the history?).
Yeah you aren't wrong about the playoffs. I think some people tend to forget how unsuccessful we have been in the playoffs the last 15 or so years. Every quarterfinal we have made since 02 we have had our asses handed to us, and for the most part every playoff loss has been that way regardless of the round. We played Mcneese tough in the early 2000s and App State very tough 10 ish years ago but overall we have had very disappointing playoff runs. I think Choate will change that, and change it beginning this year.