Depth chart for Texas Tech

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Depth chart for Texas Tech

Post by AFCAT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:51 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Depth chart

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:07 pm

Offensively, it appears Dylan Porter and Joe McElroy will make up the 8th/9th lineman spots. Peyton Hanser had a good spring and fall so great to see him progressing. Looks like Ryan Lonergan beat out Treyton Pickering for the 3rd TE spot so it appears he won't be redshirting. Other than that, no real surprises.

Defensively, Chad Kanow isn't listed on the 3 deep at LB but he will see reps at Will and Mike. Remember, MSU is very deep at LB. Kudos to Nolan Askelson. A very talented football player. Awesome to see one of the Gibson twins making a move up the depth chart. Need all hands on deck in the secondary. No surprises on the defensive line. Seer Deines and Travis Yates will get some PT in the middle as they are two guys not listed on the depth chart. Always makes me feel good when the dline is full of upperclassmen who have played a lot of football. Its a good group.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Depth chart for Texas Tech

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:24 pm

I’m surprised Sumner isn’t on the depth chart, when I listened to Choate talk this summer, he specifically mentioned Sumner and the jump he made over the spring.

If your left, you aren’t right.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:24 pm
I’m surprised Sumner isn’t on the depth chart, when I listened to Choate talk this summer, he specifically mentioned Sumner and the jump he made over the spring.
Just means he isn't better than Ifanse, Jones, Tucker, and Andersen. Sumner, Hosey, and Perry will compete for larger roles next year.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:33 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:07 pm
Offensively, it appears Dylan Porter and Joe McElroy will make up the 8th/9th lineman spots. Peyton Hanser had a good spring and fall so great to see him progressing. Looks like Ryan Lonergan beat out Treyton Pickering for the 3rd TE spot so it appears he won't be redshirting. Other than that, no real surprises.

Defensively, Chad Kanow isn't listed on the 3 deep at LB but he will see reps at Will and Mike. Remember, MSU is very deep at LB. Kudos to Nolan Askelson. A very talented football player. Awesome to see one of the Gibson twins making a move up the depth chart. Need all hands on deck in the secondary. No surprises on the defensive line. Seer Deines and Travis Yates will get some PT in the middle as they are two guys not listed on the depth chart. Always makes me feel good when the dline is full of upperclassmen who have played a lot of football. Its a good group.
I'm surprised Chad Kanow isnt on there at all, is he serving some type of suspension or something?

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:35 pm

It will be fun to see some big play threats in the return game. Kassis was great but more of a get possession and get a couple yards type guy.

Anyone know Munchie's injury status?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:36 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:33 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

I'm surprised Chad Kanow isnt on there at all, is he serving some type of suspension or something?
He was beat out by the three listed at both Mike and Will. The coaches feel good with 7 of the inside backers. Just because Chad isn't listed doesn't mean he won't play. It was a great competition all fall.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:36 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:33 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

We was beat out by the three listed at both Mike and Will. The coaches feel good with 7 of the inside backers. Just because Chad isn't listed doesn't mean he won't play. It was a great competition all fall.
OK, thanks

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 pm

It's great to see Nolan Askelson win the MLB spot to open the season. I've always had great hopes for him. He was a LLWS hero for Billings as a young 12 year old, and those from the rougher side of the state have a special place for him in our hearts & minds. It is my belief that Choate's rebuilding of the Bobcat program has been founded on the hearts & souls of kids like Askelson.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:52 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 pm
It's great to see Nolan Askelson win the MLB spot to open the season. I've always had great hopes for him. He was a LLWS hero for Billings as a young 12 year old, and those from the rougher side of the state have a special place for him in our hearts & minds. It is my belief that Choate's rebuilding of the Bobcat program has been founded on the hearts & souls of kids like Askelson.
I believe you are thinking of his brother Ben.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Not very often that your starting QB is bigger than your starting TE.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:12 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:00 pm
Not very often that your starting QB is bigger than your starting TE.
Ryan Davis is 250...

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:13 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:52 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 pm
I believe you are thinking of his brother Ben.
Yup...Nolan's older brother.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:30 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:35 pm
It will be fun to see some big play threats in the return game. Kassis was great but more of a get possession and get a couple yards type guy.

Anyone know Munchie's injury status?
Was wondering the same thing. Might be a little thin back there?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:55 pm

Is it safe to say that Troy Andersen is the first player in Bobcat or College Football history to be listed on a depth chart at three different positions, none of which are the one he was selected for on the preseason All-Conference team?

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:31 pm

I didn’t realize derryk snell was moved to full back.

Excited to see what Askelson can do!

Any update on greg filer’s injury?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:47 pm

I believe Askelson is the first player from Montana high school class of 2018 to score a starting position at a NCAA D1 school.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:36 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:47 pm
I believe Askelson is the first player from Montana high school class of 2018 to score a starting position at a NCAA D1 school.
Sulser? Started some games I believe, at least in the kick return game.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:36 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:47 pm
Sulser? Started some games I believe, at least in the kick return game.
You’re right. According to Big Sky stats, Sulser started one game at WR vs MSU.
(Askelson and Sulser were two of my three locks from that class).

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:59 am

Seems rare that a freshman starts at linebacker. Did Owens or Singleton start as frosh?
Update: Owens started nine games; Singleton started as a true frosh on special teams, but not at LB until junior year. I think he was behind Owens as sophomore.