Biggest Position Group Improvement

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Biggest Position Group Improvement

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Was thinking about my Griz and hoping if one position group improves I sure hope it’s the O Line as that could lend itself positively to a lot of other aspect for the Griz O.

How about over here? Which position group will be most improved over last year? Or which do you hope is? I think your LB group will be much better. No doubt Troy getting there will help and I think Hill being back helps a ton too. That seemed like one spot where MSU struggled last season with angles, speed, or getting chewed up with blocks.

I could also see your D Line taking a big step. Sounds like these Washington transfers could make a big splash. What’s the thoughts here?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Biggest Position Group Improvement

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:52 pm
Was thinking about my Griz and hoping if one position group improves I sure hope it’s the O Line as that could lend itself positively to a lot of other aspect for the Griz O.

How about over here? Which position group will be most improved over last year? Or which do you hope is? I think your LB group will be much better. No doubt Troy getting there will help and I think Hill being back helps a ton too. That seemed like one spot where MSU struggled last season with angles, speed, or getting chewed up with blocks.

I could also see your D Line taking a big step. Sounds like these Washington transfers could make a big splash. What’s the thoughts here?
Geez don’t get carried away. You’re making our defense sound like one of the most talented you’ve ever seen.

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Phat Daddy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:02 pm

As you alluded, this can be answered in two ways: which do we think will be the most improved and which do we NEED/WANT to be most improved.

Guess: Linebackers. With Hill returning, Andersen switching sides and Jobman a year older, I think we are already improved (assuming health for all). Add to that Flovin and Askelson, who the staff loves, I think this group will see the biggest rise.

Need/Want: WRs. I think this group has to improve to help the QB. They need to make plays to help out a young, inexperienced group of QBs (Baumann, Rovig, Beltran).

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Grizaddict wrote:

Fredo, just relax. Every group will be better.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:17 pm

Phat Daddy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:02 pm
As you alluded, this can be answered in two ways: which do we think will be the most improved and which do we NEED/WANT to be most improved.

Guess: Linebackers. With Hill returning, Andersen switching sides and Jobman a year older, I think we are already improved (assuming health for all). Add to that Flovin and Askelson, who the staff loves, I think this group will see the biggest rise.

Need/Want: WRs. I think this group has to improve to help the QB. They need to make plays to help out a young, inexperienced group of QBs (Baumann, Rovig, Beltran).
My thoughts exactly.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:56 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:17 pm
Phat Daddy wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
If the N-C-Double-Aholes would just let Jabarri play, the WRs would be fine I think.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:14 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:58 pm
Grizaddict wrote:

Geez don’t get carried away. You’re making our defense sound like one of the most talented you’ve ever seen.
I’ve only heard of three people who’ve said that and they’re all UM grads. I’m going to start believing it myself at this rate.

A Cat person who was at the scrimmage told me it looked like a shutdown defense.

To answer the question, I’d say LB.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:43 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:56 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Phat Daddy wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
If the N-C-Double-Aholes would just let Jabarri play, the WRs would be fine I think.
So, what is the story with Jabarri? I don't remember seeing anything on him. Did I just miss it?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:43 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Phat Daddy wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
I don’t believe the NCAA is keeping him from playing. He had a serious injury.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:49 pm

From Greg Rachac's article Tuesday/Yesterday.

"The Bobcats have been holding out hope since last season that 6-foot-4, 210-pound wideout Jabarri Johnson will at some point return to the active roster.

Johnson suffered a debilitating knee injury during the spring of 2018, which required surgery and extensive rehabilitation. Choate told reporters on Tuesday that he’s “doubtful” that Johnson, who has one more year of eligibility remaining, will have an on-field role this season."

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:28 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:43 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Phat Daddy wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
That was my understanding as well. He has a year left if he can go.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:51 pm

Fund raising and facility improvements.
Last edited by Montanabob on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:19 am

QB will be a position of much improvement, specific to the passing production.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:32 am

LB. The addition of top level speed there (Andersen), will allow the defense to disguise so many more coverages and opposing offenses pre-snap reads. DB speed at linebacker also takes away a lot of TE/H-back production. As well as the speed off the edge, which was a HUGE thorn in the side last years defense. They got beat up on jet sweep style plays over and over again.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Agree with tdub.

Should allow defense to be more creative.

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:52 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:43 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Phat Daddy wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
Truth

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:09 pm

The biggest improvemnt I have observed being at practice everyday is at WR. Last year there were way too many drops. This year they are catching the ball. They are deep this year at WR too. McCutcheon looks greatly improved. Kassis has added some muscle and speed. Patterson looks really good along with Coy Steele. Others that have been impressive are freshamn Jayden Smith, Hanser and Kleinhans. Kleinhans has stood out to me. Great hands.The transfer Marshall looks very good. I am probably missing a couple.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:12 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:09 pm
The biggest improvemnt I have observed being at practice everyday is at WR. Last year there were way too many drops. This year they are catching the ball. They are deep this year at WR too. McCutcheon looks greatly improved. Kassis has added some muscle and speed. Patterson looks really good along with Coy Steele. Others that have been impressive are freshamn Jayden Smith, Hanser and Kleinhans. Kleinhans has stood out to me. Great hands.The transfer Marshall looks very good. I am probably missing a couple.
I've also heard very good things about Mark Estes.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:49 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:12 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Don't forget Peanut Monroe!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:45 pm

technoCat wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:49 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:12 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Don't forget Peanut Monroe!
Yes, he is going to be a good one. Good size and great hands. He has made an impression for sure!