Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by Rich K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am

http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/ ... f=7&t=2133
Last year's game at Montana State was their "Gold Rush" game. One game a year, I think their's is the first home game, they do a push to sell out the stadium and everyone wears Gold Montana State gear. We're starting a grass roots campaign to do something very similar at Western. The Purple Haze game! We're looking for ideas on what we can do/offer to get 15,000 at Hanson Field for 1 game next year? Interested in all and any ideas. Remember, this is focused on just 1 game, not increasing average attendance for an entire season.
Reading this has got me trying to remember the origin of Gold Rush. It seems like it was an instant hit, but I don't remember where the idea came from or how the PR was handled. It seemed like it was an overnight success and took fire right away. I know getting student support was instrumental. Anybody have a good recollection of how the original Gold Rush game was promoted?


Image

User avatar
allcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7609
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: 90 miles from Nirvana (Bobcat Stadium)

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by allcat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:28 am

Rich K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am
http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/ ... f=7&t=2133
Last year's game at Montana State was their "Gold Rush" game. One game a year, I think their's is the first home game, they do a push to sell out the stadium and everyone wears Gold Montana State gear. We're starting a grass roots campaign to do something very similar at Western. The Purple Haze game! We're looking for ideas on what we can do/offer to get 15,000 at Hanson Field for 1 game next year? Interested in all and any ideas. Remember, this is focused on just 1 game, not increasing average attendance for an entire season.
Reading this has got me trying to remember the origin of Gold Rush. It seems like it was an instant hit, but I don't remember where the idea came from or how the PR was handled. It seemed like it was an overnight success and took fire right away. I know getting student support was instrumental. Anybody have a good recollection of how the original Gold Rush game was promoted?
I thought Universal Athletics came up with the idea.


Joining the whiners club till we never lose a game again.

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by Rich K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:40 am

Here's a couple of the earliest threads about Gold Rush (2006). I'll search my t-shirt drawer later and find out which year I started purchasing UA's Gold Rush shirts.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8522&p=108270&hili ... sh#p108270
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8539&p=108488&hili ... sh#p108488


Image

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by Rich K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:42 am

This is kind of a telling quote:
Platinumcat wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:08 pm
bobcatmaniac wrote:Man, it is hard to find gold or even yellow. I just ran to Wally World to see if they had anything cuz I really don't want to go out on the worst shopping day on the planet...nothing... :twisted: You would think they would have something... :twisted:
Some other place to check that I'll be looking at tomorrow are:

1) Bob Ward's
2) Osco Drug by Hastings
3) Universal Athletics
I remember when it was hard to find Bobcat gear. We NO LONGER HAVE THAT PROBLEM!


Image

User avatar
Cledus
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4178
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by Cledus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:42 am

Rich K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am
http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/ ... f=7&t=2133
Last year's game at Montana State was their "Gold Rush" game. One game a year, I think their's is the first home game, they do a push to sell out the stadium and everyone wears Gold Montana State gear. We're starting a grass roots campaign to do something very similar at Western. The Purple Haze game! We're looking for ideas on what we can do/offer to get 15,000 at Hanson Field for 1 game next year? Interested in all and any ideas. Remember, this is focused on just 1 game, not increasing average attendance for an entire season.
Reading this has got me trying to remember the origin of Gold Rush. It seems like it was an instant hit, but I don't remember where the idea came from or how the PR was handled. It seemed like it was an overnight success and took fire right away. I know getting student support was instrumental. Anybody have a good recollection of how the original Gold Rush game was promoted?
I seem to remember it starting here on the BN board as just a few people spitballing and spreading the word to wear yellow / gold. There are a lot of these promotional games across the nation and it started as an idea to come with something similar we can call our own. Then as allcat mentioned, UA got involved which is probably where the Gold Rush got the momentum. I still have the original shirt. :D



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9414
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 am

Rich K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am
http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/ ... f=7&t=2133
Last year's game at Montana State was their "Gold Rush" game. One game a year, I think their's is the first home game, they do a push to sell out the stadium and everyone wears Gold Montana State gear. We're starting a grass roots campaign to do something very similar at Western. The Purple Haze game! We're looking for ideas on what we can do/offer to get 15,000 at Hanson Field for 1 game next year? Interested in all and any ideas. Remember, this is focused on just 1 game, not increasing average attendance for an entire season.
Reading this has got me trying to remember the origin of Gold Rush. It seems like it was an instant hit, but I don't remember where the idea came from or how the PR was handled. It seemed like it was an overnight success and took fire right away. I know getting student support was instrumental. Anybody have a good recollection of how the original Gold Rush game was promoted?
I could be wrong about this, but I think it was either @rtb or @kmax who was one of the founding fathers of the gold rush idea.



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1756
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 am
Rich K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am
http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/ ... f=7&t=2133
Last year's game at Montana State was their "Gold Rush" game. One game a year, I think their's is the first home game, they do a push to sell out the stadium and everyone wears Gold Montana State gear. We're starting a grass roots campaign to do something very similar at Western. The Purple Haze game! We're looking for ideas on what we can do/offer to get 15,000 at Hanson Field for 1 game next year? Interested in all and any ideas. Remember, this is focused on just 1 game, not increasing average attendance for an entire season.
Reading this has got me trying to remember the origin of Gold Rush. It seems like it was an instant hit, but I don't remember where the idea came from or how the PR was handled. It seemed like it was an overnight success and took fire right away. I know getting student support was instrumental. Anybody have a good recollection of how the original Gold Rush game was promoted?
I could be wrong about this, but I think it was either @rtb or @kmax who was one of the founding fathers of the gold rush idea.
That's what I remembered too. At least the "Gold Rush" name.


Image

User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9414
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:30 am

Looking back, I think the Gold Rush was @rtb 's idea for Cat/Griz bball, and it was so successful it became an annual tradition for football.

Nice work, Randy.



bpcats20
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:13 am

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by bpcats20 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:59 am

Kramer had a part in getting this started I believe - it was a way to get students out there.



User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8736
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by kmax » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:04 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 am
Rich K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am
http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/ ... f=7&t=2133
Last year's game at Montana State was their "Gold Rush" game. One game a year, I think their's is the first home game, they do a push to sell out the stadium and everyone wears Gold Montana State gear. We're starting a grass roots campaign to do something very similar at Western. The Purple Haze game! We're looking for ideas on what we can do/offer to get 15,000 at Hanson Field for 1 game next year? Interested in all and any ideas. Remember, this is focused on just 1 game, not increasing average attendance for an entire season.
Reading this has got me trying to remember the origin of Gold Rush. It seems like it was an instant hit, but I don't remember where the idea came from or how the PR was handled. It seemed like it was an overnight success and took fire right away. I know getting student support was instrumental. Anybody have a good recollection of how the original Gold Rush game was promoted?
I could be wrong about this, but I think it was either @rtb or @kmax who was one of the founding fathers of the gold rush idea.
That's what I remembered too. At least the "Gold Rush" name.
I don't know about that, though I do know that rtb was pretty vocal about it at the time and helped out a lot.

I can say from a history standpoint that the first attempt at something like this was actually quite different and didn't fair so well. Way back in the early 2000's (can't remember the exact year) this was tried with doing a game with everyone wearing the same color, except they went with blue...as evidenced by the above quotes Gold gear was tough to find at the time. I actually still have my "Paint it Blue at MSU" T-shirt in my drawer at home from that game. Obviously blue just didn't have any impact, it looked pretty much like every other game. A few years later when this came up I remember everyone saying we needed something that would stand out, thus the gold.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
GoCats18
Member # Retired
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:06 pm
Location: MT

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 am

Yellow!!


FTG!!

User avatar
WeedKillinCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1845
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:19 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 am
Yellow!!
I guess I'm a stickler for the correct color. If it is a Gold Rush, it should be the gold to match our uniforms not yellow or Michigan maize. In fact the color is called "Las Vegas Gold". My $.02


1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8866
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:38 pm

The yellowish gold rush colors could also be considered as "throwback" colors. It's actually close to the official University gold.

Image


"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

PHAT CAT
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:04 pm

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:31 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 am
Yellow!!
I guess I'm a stickler for the correct color. If it is a Gold Rush, it should be the gold to match our uniforms not yellow or Michigan maize. In fact the color is called "Las Vegas Gold". My $.02
That's some BS. It should be called Oly Gold.



User avatar
GoCats18
Member # Retired
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:06 pm
Location: MT

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:42 pm

It is just a personal issue I have. I love the idea, don’t like the color. I get it is the old gold/yellow we wore when I was a kid growing up, but now we wear gold. I just don’t see why they could do gold shirts.


FTG!!

Cats15
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:21 am

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by Cats15 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Is it common for University athletics color schemes be different then the official university colors?



User avatar
WeedKillinCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1845
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:19 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:31 pm
WeedKillinCat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 am
Yellow!!
I guess I'm a stickler for the correct color. If it is a Gold Rush, it should be the gold to match our uniforms not yellow or Michigan maize. In fact the color is called "Las Vegas Gold". My $.02
That's some BS. It should be called Oly Gold.
Those dang Artesians....


1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7938
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by cats2506 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:54 pm

Cats15 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm
Is it common for University athletics color schemes be different then the official university colors?
Pretty Common actually, usually called "Spirit Colors"

Usually its just different shades, back to the days when some colors couldn't be reproduced on clothing easily or cheaply


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7938
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by cats2506 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:00 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:31 pm
WeedKillinCat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 am
Yellow!!
I guess I'm a stickler for the correct color. If it is a Gold Rush, it should be the gold to match our uniforms not yellow or Michigan maize. In fact the color is called "Las Vegas Gold". My $.02
That's some BS. It should be called Oly Gold.
Those dang Artesians....


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

PHAT CAT
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:04 pm

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Hahahahaha....... Nice. Nectar of the Gods. Golden Goodness.



Post Reply