And your 2019 starting QB is...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Re: And your 2019 starting QB is...

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:42 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:21 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:19 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:05 pm
To all the people saying it is/should be Bauman, have you been to all the practices or are you just going off media reports?
I think the coaches are playing the media to put more pressure on Rovig. I can’t remember a QB competition at MSU where one has been under this much pressure. Maybe Jake Bleskin. Anyway, if Rovig comes out on top he’ll have been battle tested. If it’s Bauman, then he has improved immensely. Either way MSU should have solid depth at QB.

Then again Bauman is under pressure too.
I think Dennis Erickson is in town to also weigh in with "what he sees" to confirm the choice for QB. Yes, I know he is just watching practice...but, if you don't think he's in the discussion, I have some beachfront property in Addis Ababa to sell you! 8)
I hear Addis Ababa is nice this time of year, you should buy!

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:42 am

catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
To all the people saying it is/should be Bauman, have you been to all the practices or are you just going off media reports?
I think the coaches are playing the media to put more pressure on Rovig. I can’t remember a QB competition at MSU where one has been under this much pressure. Maybe Jake Bleskin. Anyway, if Rovig comes out on top he’ll have been battle tested. If it’s Bauman, then he has improved immensely. Either way MSU should have solid depth at QB.

I think Dennis Erickson is in town to also weigh in with "what he sees" to confirm the choice for QB. Yes, I know he is just watching practice...but, if you don't think he's in the discussion, I have some beachfront property in Addis Ababa to sell you! 8)
Dude I like you but sometimes I have to scratch my head. Do you really think Dennis Erickson was here for that? If you really do I've some beachfront on Lone Peak for you. I absolutely guarantee that he wasn't.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:11 am

catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Okay, my post was a bit of a stretch, but it’s kind of odd that they seem to have Bauman running with the 1s more.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:29 am

lutecat wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:42 am
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Dude I like you but sometimes I have to scratch my head. Do you really think Dennis Erickson was here for that? If you really do I've some beachfront on Lone Peak for you. I absolutely guarantee that he wasn't.
Man, how come everyone wants to unload all of the beachfront property?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:33 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:30 pm
DriscollCat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:28 pm
coloradocat wrote:
I’ve been to all the practices this week, and I honestly think the fans on here have made up their minds more than the coaches have. I 100% trust the coaches when they say that they need to see how they look when they are live (can get hit).

It’s hard to appreciate all of the complications and details from a distance, but you just can’t jump the gun on important decisions like this.
That is exactly why I expect Rovig will start against Texas Tech. He has limited game snaps, but that still has to be a huge advantage over starting a redshirt freshman in front of 50,000 fans. Lamar was the home opener in Lubbock last year and 52,000 fans showed up. Lamar was an FCS playoff team last year and lost 77-0 in Lubbock. Lamar lost by 3 to Northern Iowa in the first round of the playoffs last year. The starting Lamar QB was 9-26 for 72 yards. Former MSU QB Jordan Hoy came in and was 1-6 for 8 yards.
I think a lot of fans are sliding this decision to the left on the schedule (as if it had been made days ago), while what I’m picking up from the coaches is that the decision is likely to slide to the right.

The scrimmage may completely confirm some direction that they are leaning, and maybe they will be pretty comfortable coming out with a starter shortly after that, or it may muddy the waters for them. One thing is for sure - they haven’t had an opportunity to evaluate these guys in a live situation yet this year. That evaluation is far too important to consider the QB battle a forgone conclusion.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:42 am

Let me clarify what I have been saying - it is fine to speculate, but I just don’t think it’s realistic.

Sometime this fall the decision is going to come out that X will be QB1 and fans who said it was X from the beginning are going to say - I told you it was always going to be X!

But a) the coaches have stated that the competition isn’t over yet, and b)it doesn’t seem reasonable to me that the coaches have already made their decision in light of the fact that they need to see a whole big picture, and it just takes time for that picture to unfold, and key pieces (live action, for example) of that picture have not unfolded yet.

I guess as fans, patience is just not our strong suit.

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 am

A comparison, just for fun.

Started the final 11 games in 2018 as a true freshman in helping Clemson become the first major college football team in the modern era to go 15-0 … helped the squad win each of its last 10 games by 20 points or more … became the first true freshman quarterback to lead his team to a national title since 1985 … was a consensus freshman All-America honoree … enters 2019 having previously completed 259-397 passes for 3,280 yards with 30 touchdowns and four interceptions as well as 60 carries for 177 yards and a touchdown in 768 snaps in 15 games (11 starts) …

Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence - 6’6” 215. He’s young, tall, kind of thin, doesn’t run the ball much.

Tucker Rovig 6’5” 205
Casey Bauman 6’7” 231
Not that they or anyone else can match Trevor Lawrence but maybe we’ll do ok with either one of these guys even if they don’t run like Chris or Troy.

By the way 30 TDs and 4 interceptions is ridiculous, especially for a freshman.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:00 am

Just my thoughts on what is happening and some of the posts above.
If a QB is named on Sunday it will be Rovig, he has been the defacto guy, (QB in waiting since last fall) I don't expect the coaches to make that change without giving him a lot of opportunity to respond. If the decision is delayed until later in camp then I think they may be leaning towards Bauman, if he is legitimately making a good case for himself they want to see how he handles pressure.

Yes DE will weigh in on the QB, decision, so will DMAC and others, ultimately the decision will come down to Miller and Choate.

I suspect that DE's reasons for being here as much as he is this fall has more to do with the new football complex than the QB decision or anything else, I suspect that there are some naming rights that are being discussed, and DE is looking to cement his legacy here at MSU. I don't say this as a negative to him, as I think DE has earned those honors and has contributed to the project and other projects significantly.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:18 am

cats2506 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:00 am
If a QB is named on Sunday it will be Rovig, he has been the defacto guy, (QB in waiting since last fall) I don't expect the coaches to make that change without giving him a lot of opportunity to respond. If the decision is delayed until later in camp then I think they may be leaning towards Bauman, if he is legitimately making a good case for himself they want to see how he handles pressure.

Yes DE will weigh in on the QB, decision, so will DMAC and others, ultimately the decision will come down to Miller and Choate.

I suspect that DE's reasons for being here as much as he is this fall has more to do with the new football complex than the QB decision or anything else, I suspect that there are some naming rights that are being discussed, and DE is looking to cement his legacy here at MSU. I don't say this as a negative to him, as I think DE has earned those honors and has contributed to the project and other projects significantly.
I think if either has a slight edge they’ll make a decision. I think they want get this done and start fine tuning someone. I wouldn’t call it a done deal, because whoever starts vs Texas Tech could struggle and the backup could end up playing well and starting the next week.

The coaches are hoping they both play well and that one is a notch above.

Dennis QB’d MSU to three straight BSC titles, three straight Cat-Griz wins and two bowl games.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:47 am

Love the DE speculation, I saw him play three years and he was an inspirational leader that took him farther than his talent alone. Could be coaching the candidates as well.

I'm selling my beachfront property due to global warming :D

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:02 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:47 am
Love the DE speculation, I saw him play three years and he was an inspirational leader that took him farther than his talent alone. Could be coaching the candidates as well.

DE will be watching the scrimmage today. The last couple of days he has been watching the QBs. The guy knows talent. Why would they not get his input when making this decision? I think it is great to have him with his experience out there observing.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:09 am

lutecat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

He has been around a lot and will continue to be around. He discusses football with the coaches all of the time. The only reason he is here is definitely not to evaluate our qbs and make a decision. But he already has and will continue to share his opinions. And the coaches aren’t plugging their ears....

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:32 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:09 am
lutecat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

He has been around a lot and will continue to be around. He discusses football with the coaches all of the time. The only reason he is here is definitely not to evaluate our qbs and make a decision. But he already has and will continue to share his opinions. And the coaches aren’t plugging their ears....
Between DE and KM, Matt Miller has a couple great sounding boards.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:42 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:18 am
cats2506 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:00 am

I think if either has a slight edge they’ll make a decision. I think they want get this done and start fine tuning someone. I wouldn’t call it a done deal, because whoever starts vs Texas Tech could struggle and the backup could end up playing well and starting the next week.

The coaches are hoping they both play well and that one is a notch above.

Dennis QB’d MSU to three straight BSC titles, three straight Cat-Griz wins and two bowl games.
If it a slight edge I'm not convinced they will pull the trigger this weekend, I think the will wait a week in that case. If there is separation then they will make the call. I guess what I was saying is that if is a close competition like we are hearing and Bauman has the slight edge, I think they will give it another week to confirm their thoughts, if Rovig has the slight edge then that means that Bauman is making big strides since last spring and I would wait and see if he overtakes Rovig in another week.

I'm not pulling for one or the other, haven't seen either play really, other than then gametime each has and I think a lot has happened since then so that's somewhat irrelevant.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:17 am

We're going to be in good shape with whomever they name as QB, it just needs to happen today then give the kid the reins. The last thing we need is a QB with shot confidence from letting this drag out.

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:26 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:17 am
We're going to be in good shape with whomever they name as QB, it just needs to happen today then give the kid the reins. The last thing we need is a QB with shot confidence from letting this drag out.
Totally agree..

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:27 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:17 am
Agreed. Sounds like both have a lot of upside … give it to one of them and don't turn back. Their will be bumps throughout the season, but with our running game and defense the QB doesn't have to be a superstar … just needs to be smart with the ball.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:41 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:09 am
lutecat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

I have been lucky enough to meet DE a couple of times. The last time was in Bozeman and he was decked out in Bobcat gear. He is proud of being a Bobcat. Would love to see a part or section of the new expansion carry his name. He won two national championships as coach at Miami. In one meeting, I mentioned where I grew up and he was recalling his friends from college. Was very cool.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:03 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:11 am
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Okay, my post was a bit of a stretch, but it’s kind of odd that they seem to have Bauman running with the 1s more.
Again, I may have missed something but who said this? I thought they were getting equal reps with the 1's.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:49 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:02 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:47 am

DE will be watching the scrimmage today. The last couple of days he has been watching the QBs. The guy knows talent. Why would they not get his input when making this decision? I think it is great to have him with his experience out there observing.
If I were a head coach anywhere, at any level.... and Dennis Erickson was in the stands watching my scrimmage I'd bust my tail to find out what he thinks about anything! The list of quarterbacks who played for him is a whose-who of football...from Heisman Trophy winner Geno Toretta to NFL All-Pro Warren Moon. The list of coaches who coached for him is amazing. The guy is a football legend. Our qb coach is a former wide reciever...Matt, ask Dennis out for dinner, a really good, long dinner!!!