And your 2019 starting QB is...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Re: And your 2019 starting QB is...

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:12 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:29 pm
Beltran doesn’t scare me. The kid has ability. He just may be the kind to rise from the ashes and perform at a high level. Give him some no. 1 reps and see how he handles things.
I agree. He played at a higher level than any QBs currently on the roster. His team, Centennial HS in Peoria AZ won the State championship. They play a game every year against the very best High schools in the country like Mater Dei an StJohn Bosco. He has played and won against schools like this. He is a gamer and a winner. I think DE saw that this week and liked what he saw in Beltran.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:14 pm

I think even Erickson was bigger than Beltran...but you can tell the kid knows what he's doing!

2024 Resume dominance

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:14 pm
I think even Erickson was bigger than Beltran...but you can tell the kid knows what he's doing!
If he can get the job done, I don't care how small he is. I agree with giving Beltan a shot. Otherwise why is he here?

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Whoever wins it, I just hope they can hit the deep ball. This offense needs vertical threats to either push a safety out of the box or make teams pay for putting said safety into the box.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:32 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:33 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:31 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:18 pm
Also, I know the suggestion that it will be Beltran is meant as a joke, but Choate has said that the scrimmage will weigh heavier than anything else. We don't know where his production came from, but if he was sharp and it was with the one's... maybe?
He hasn't had any reps with the first team, that I'm aware of.

Maybe after this they'll give him Rovig's reps, and make it a Bauman/Beltran battle.
We get it..you.dont like Rovig. Get over it
Should he be excited about 3/7 for 14 yards and a pick? Should that be changing his mind?

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:37 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:32 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Also, I know the suggestion that it will be Beltran is meant as a joke, but Choate has said that the scrimmage will weigh heavier than anything else. We don't know where his production came from, but if he was sharp and it was with the one's... maybe?

Maybe after this they'll give him Rovig's reps, and make it a Bauman/Beltran battle.
Should he be excited about 3/7 for 14 yards and a pick? Should that be changing his mind?
That stat line is consistent with what we seen out of Rovig. Lots of people want to gloss over the fact that Rovig’s big game was against a subpar defense. He doesn’t have the luxury of playing against a D like that in fall camp. Having said that, if he is our best option then fine, play him but anyone being reasonable should be changing their mind a little just based on the fact that he had all the indicators pointing toward him and he is no longer the odds on favorite to win the job. That should be concerning.

There is a reason TA played QB last year.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:40 pm

Numbers against our defense don’t worry me, I want to know who had the composure against them. Hang in the pocket against our defensive front will only make them better against other teams.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:45 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

Im not saying he should be excited, but he consistently rails against Rovig. Both qbs are unproven. Bauman threw 2 picks today.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:49 pm

utucats wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:37 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

That stat line is consistent with what we seen out of Rovig. Lots of people want to gloss over the fact that Rovig’s big game was against a subpar defense. He doesn’t have the luxury of playing against a D like that in fall camp. Having said that, if he is our best option then fine, play him but anyone being reasonable should be changing their mind a little just based on the fact that he had all the indicators pointing toward him and he is no longer the odds on favorite to win the job. That should be concerning.

Why is that concerning? Camp is about competition. If Bauman beats him out, then great. You get the guy out there who won the job. Bauman stats are better in most respects but 2 picks is not a good thing. Also, I said in another post, we lack context on these stats. Who ran with 1s/2s more? What were the play calls? Yards after catch could be padding Baumans numbers too. I just want more details before I pass judgment.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Key to remember is as Choate alluded to that the decision will be based on a body of work not just today. His quote was such like “a scrimmage does not make camp make, like one game does not make a season.”

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 pm

utucats wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

Yes, because Rovig broke his foot.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:40 pm

utucats wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

Ding Ding

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:30 am

To put up the numbers Bauman put up against MSU’s defense is impressive. He’s got a cannon arm. It’ll be interesting to see how he does next week.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:33 am

catatac wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 pm
utucats wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

Yes, because Rovig broke his foot.
Rovig broke his foot mid season but TA was the best option early in the year. I would argue that attempting to move TA out of the QB position was as much about his ability at LB as anyone’s ability to play the QB position.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:38 am

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:49 pm
utucats wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

Why is that concerning? Camp is about competition. If Bauman beats him out, then great. You get the guy out there who won the job. Bauman stats are better in most respects but 2 picks is not a good thing. Also, I said in another post, we lack context on these stats. Who ran with 1s/2s more? What were the play calls? Yards after catch could be padding Baumans numbers too. I just want more details before I pass judgment.
I agree context is important. You say that 2 picks is not a good thing but fail to take into account that one of those picks was on the receiver and not due to an errant pass. Bauman is completing passes downfield which is exactly what we need out of our QB.

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:18 am

Sounds like Bauman is playing with a lot of confidence and brass. I like that and it will be the difference maker.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:49 am

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:18 am
Sounds like Bauman is playing with a lot of confidence and brass. I like that and it will be the difference maker.
Looks like it also , someone said the TD pass to Kevin looked late - I didn’t think so - had to pump fake the lob
to the corner receiver to set up Kevin underneath. Not many QBs can make that throw it was on a rope. Should
Have thrown one Int away, under heavy rush pressure tried to fit it into too tight of a spot . He can learn from
that, Bret Farve never did very often lol . Also that’s what good Defenses do. I think our QB will do more than
Just manage the game this season, and that seems to be what a lot of people think is all that we need . I think
We will be real fine this year and don’t care what g a is saying. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:07 am

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:49 am
...don’t care what ga is saying. :thumbup: :thumbup:
None of us do.
:coffee:

Clinton T

Post by Clinton T » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:18 am

I haven't really seen Beltran play. From his high school accolades and film, it seems he should be neck and neck with Rovig and Bauman. What is going on there?

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:39 am

Clinton T wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:18 am
I haven't really seen Beltran play. From his high school accolades and film, it seems he should be neck and neck with Rovig and Bauman. What is going on there?
6'0" 180

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.